Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

9 to 5 - Reef in a Bottle 🏴‍☠ Caribbean Carboy

seabass

33 minutes ago, empresto said:

Have you considered epoxying a small neodymium magnet to the pump?  Then you could use another one on the outside of the carboy to hold the pump where you'd like. I'd certainly test that the pump will still run with a magnet on the side before committing with the epoxy.  You may want to scuff the surface of the pump with some sand paper where the epoxy is to bond.

^This is actually a good idea. The magnet will need to be checked periodically to make sure no rust accumulates (or if it can rust at all), but otherwise it sounds like a good plan. 👍

• Like 3

While keeping in mind that additional material might prevent the pumps from fitting through the opening, I've considered magnets, heavier duty suction cups, shelves, or securing them to the rocks.  However, I haven't completely decided on the method that I want to use to secure the pumps; although I feel that the original suction cups might work as is.

Normally you can just press the pumps against the wall.  However, the shape of the bottle will make that more difficult; although I'm not too worried just yet.  I'll start getting nervous after a couple of different methods fail first.

Worst case scenario, I could secure the cords with magnets and let the pumps hang.  Actually, securing the cords would not only help support the weight, but will help keep the cords against the walls (making for a cleaner look).  Plus, you can actually hide things on either side of a cylindrical tank due to the refraction of the light.

I appreciate the suggestions! 👍

• Like 6
16 hours ago, A.m.P said:

Those plastic dipped magnets from K&J are reef safe.

Thanks!  I still have a few left over from mounting frag rocks to my pico cookie jar.

032718f.jpg&key=a99a2a43d53f48dcf222e3d4

I considered doing this again for this contest, but ultimately decided against it.  However, they should work for cable management or possibly supporting the pumps.

• Like 3

Live Sand From the Gulf of Mexico:

I purchased 15lbs of live sand (from Gulf Live Rock) taken from the Gulf of Mexico.  I'll be using some of it in my carboy.  Here is the sand as I received it (still in its bag):

110221b.jpg

I put the sand in a standard 20 gallon long tank.  Here it is after the cloudiness faded (still a lot of fine sediment on top):

110221c.jpg

I added a filter and have been disturbing the sand with a turkey baster to filter out the sediment.  Here it is today:

110221d.jpg

There are some signs of life (although I was hoping for more inverts).  There is: Caulerpa, Halimeda, Botryocladia, shells, and rock rubble.

110221e.jpg

Home

• Like 16
  • Wow 4
  • 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, M. Tournesol said:

Do you have some news about the live sand?

I've been busy lately, so not much new on any front.  The sand is finer grained than I anticipated, and I had hoped for more life (snails, stars, worms, etc).  I see a few trails, so life besides the macroalgae does exist (albeit not obviously apparent).  Overall, I'm not disappointed with the purchase.

• Like 5

Over in Chowder's Reef thread, I was contemplating drilling my carboy for a sump.  It'd keep the bottle nice and clean (getting rid of all of the cords).  Plus, I wouldn't have to mount the pumps, it would simplify water changes, and even make feeding easier.  The more I think about it, the more it makes sense.  Too bad I already purchased the micro pumps and heater.

• Like 8
2 minutes ago, filefishfinatic said:

hopefully you dont find a mantis shrimp in there 

IDK, a mantis might be super cool in the carboy.  But I'm sure I'd have to cut the bottle apart, in order to get the shrimp out after the contest.

2 minutes ago, filefishfinatic said:

honestly what id do with the scape is leave it as rubble and then let life grow in it and make its own aquascape 

I appreciate the suggestion, and that might turn out well (maybe even better).  However, I kind of like the idea of assembling a structure within the bottle.

dsc-0173_orig.jpg

It might not work, but I've already invested some resources into my current plan.  I'm going to see it through (even if it fails).

• Like 9
The Rainy Day Aquarium
2 hours ago, seabass said:

It might not work, but I've already invested some resources into my current plan.  I'm going to see it through (even if it fails).

I'd say keep with the plan; A reef in a bottle is just neat! If it fails, I have a bailing bucket you could borrow 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
2 hours ago, seabass said:

IDK, a mantis might be super cool in the carboy.  But I'm sure I'd have to cut the bottle apart, in order to get the shrimp out after the contest.

I appreciate the suggestion, and that might turn out well (maybe even better).  However, I kind of like the idea of assembling a structure within the bottle.

dsc-0173_orig.jpg

Heck yeah! All eyes are on this carboy tank and how your plan comes together!! 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Nothing really new:

• The RFAs, shrimp, zoanthid frags, macroalgae, and live sand are all doing fine in other tanks right now.
  • I still haven't broken up the rocks into small enough pieces to fit through the neck of the bottle.  It'll probably be in the first part of January.
  • I'm leaning towards drilling the carboy for a simple sump (to provide flow, heat, and easy feeding).

Merry Christmas everyone!

9to5tree3.gif.ad58dd853d26105bfceb4fdf724ec44e.gif

• Like 9
  • 3 weeks later...

4 hours ago, kimdawg said:

When do we get to see your rocks in a bottle?  

Hopefully, pretty soon.  I might have some time to start to play with them next week.

I sold some of my RFAs last week, but I still have plenty for the carboy.

• Like 8
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/21/2021 at 11:19 AM, M. Tournesol said:

Could you not make a third branch with your leftover?

I initially didn't feel that would be possible; however, I just broke the leftover pieces of Tonga branch into smaller pieces, then glued them into a third branch.  I'm not quite finished, but it's turning out fairly well (considering what was left to work with).  Pics to be posted soon.

Then I'll have to cut them all apart.  I have a small wet tile saw and a coral band saw to work with.  Gluing them back together inside the carboy will likely be the most challenging task.  I'm still not sure how this will turn out. :unsure:

• Like 4
  • Wow 2
  • seabass changed the title to 9 to 5 - Reef in a Bottle 🏴‍☠Caribbean Carboy
  • seabass changed the title to 9 to 5 - Reef in a Bottle 🏴‍☠ Caribbean Carboy