Innovative Marine Aquariums

9 to 5 - Reef in a Bottle 🏴‍☠ Caribbean Carboy

seabass

Making Rock, Out of (hardly) Nothing at All

011922a.jpg

The new rock is on the left in the above photo, and on the bottom right in the below photo.

011922b.jpg

The rock was made by breaking up the remaining pieces and gluing them together with thin superglue (using superglue and fine grained sand to lock them together).  I completed it by pouring sand into the cracks and soaking it with superglue.  I just kept building up the voids with sand and superglue until I had the completed "rock".

• Like 8
  • Wow 6
  • 1 month later...

Sorry, not much going with this tank just yet.

Turns out that the sand from the Gulf of Mexico contained three Cerith snails, some Halimeda algae (money plant), Halymenia, Red Grape, Caulerpa Mexicana, and another red algae that I haven't identified yet.  There are also some shells which are covered with coralline algae; not a bad purchase considering what you might have to pay for these items separately.

I keep meaning to get some pics of the Pederson anemone shrimp.  I also am planning on breaking up or cutting the rocks so I can get them into the bottle, but keep putting it off. :sad:  Looks like I'll have to make more of an effort.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1
M. Tournesol
12 minutes ago, seabass said:

I keep meaning to get some pics of the Pederson anemone shrimp.  I also am planning on breaking up or cutting the rocks so I can get them into the bottle, but keep putting it off. :sad:  Looks like I'll have to make more of an effort.

Since the 9to5 contest will finish in less than 2 months, would you consider piercing a big side hole to speed up the process? 

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Thanks, and sorry... I haven't given up on this bottle tank.  But there is only one month left (and I've been busy with life).

I won't be purchasing any additional livestock for this tank, as I already have everything for this tank.  The shrimp is doing fine, I have a hermit crab, snails, macroalgae, maybe a dozen or so RFAs, some zoanthids, a gorgonian, the rock, and live sand.

I'm hoping to put this all together this month.  I don't expect it'll win anything, but I still hope to prove the concept.

• Like 10
  • 3 weeks later...

Life got busy, plus waiting for it to get warmer outside to cut the rock, but mostly just procrastinating.  I'll try to do something with it this week.

I tried and failed to cut one of the rocks today.  The 4" tile saw was only effective at making shallow cuts.  It worked to create a break line, but the cut edge left an obvious 1/8th inch gap (from the blade).  So I tried to break the rock with a hammer and chisel instead, but it was super hard to break.  Then I was going to try using the coral band saw, but ultimately I just gave up and fixed the rock that I was experimenting with.

So I scraped the idea of adding the rock through the neck of the bottle, and I decided to cut a hole in the top of the bottle instead.  I'll post the details (and pics) tomorrow.

• Like 5
1 hour ago, kimdawg said:

I think we need another 6 months in the contest so we can see it grow out.

:lol:

This was never going to be a long-term reef tank.  However, I'll let it grow out for awhile after the contest ends.  It should be a fairly maintenance free setup.

• Like 2

My current dilemma is whether to drill it for a 2 gallon sump, or use my two micro pumps for flow. 🤔

I'm leaning towards drilling it to keep the display a little more clutter-free.

• Agree 1

Bottle Update:

I cut the top off with a hacksaw.

042322a.jpg.a0b334e032f0b7310e6c745aead7afd8.jpg

Then cut access with a 4" hole saw.  It was a bit rough, so it needed a cleanup.

042322b.jpg.8fd6f5c51fb7325b697f35cee42c8521.jpg

Looking a bit better.

042322c.jpg.96ade8559f455206c60554d7c67c4ecf.jpg

Then, I drilled it for an overflow and return (UNISEAL bulkheads installed).

042322d.thumb.jpg.d5e496ece1a2e4d1ede2673d290b862e.jpg

• Like 8

Bummer, the 1/2" UNISEAL's hole was a little too large and didn't seal well.

So a little change in plans.  I opened up the return hole a tiny bit more, enough to accept a standard 3/4" bulkhead.  And I also decided to replace the 1" UNISEAL with a standard 1" bulkhead.

042522a.jpg.9ca1efe8e28f11a1bb285ab12ffdb246.jpg

I also added a Loc-Line tee and low profile strainer:

042522b.jpg.c2f4133d23c2608ff2407378ddee011b.jpg

• Like 7
  • Wow 2

Most of the plumbing is done.

042722a.thumb.jpg.e3587cf12848df36d4e4f4e34bccd0a0.jpg

I drilled a hole in the overflow's elbow for a vent.  It's just big enough to shove a silicone air line down through it.

• Like 8

Plumbing is done and I'm currently making saltwater for this tank.

042922a.thumb.jpg.e93058ebc9800a4283d44355946f049e.jpg

I'll also use some water from the other tanks (to provide some nutrients).  Plus, I'll be adding a bunch of the Gulf live sand that I got earlier.

• Like 8
  • seabass changed the title to 9 to 5 - Reef in a Bottle 🏴‍☠Caribbean Carboy
  • seabass changed the title to 9 to 5 - Reef in a Bottle 🏴‍☠ Caribbean Carboy