ReefCleaners.org

Next Nano-Reef Contest - Criteria Poll

seabass

2022 Nano-Reef Contest Criteria Poll  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Which contest would you prefer to follow or participate in?

• A 5 Gallon Bucket Challenge. Use a standard 5 gallon bucket or a 150 gallon salt mix bucket (modifications allowed) for your tank.
    • Nano-Reef Carboy Contest. Use a 1 to 6 gallon glass or plastic carboy (in any orientation, with modifications permitted) for your tank.
    • Standard rectangular (non-AIO) 10 gallon tank (20" long x 10" wide x 12" high), or the closest match available. Additional modifications, including AIO conversions, would be permitted.
    • Any aquarium between 5 and 20 gallons. Additional water volume (via external sump or filtration) not to exceed the display tank's volume. No other equipment restrictions.
    • Something else. Offer a suggestion below.
  2. 2. Would you like to include an elimination game to determine a "Champion" (awarded a Nano-Reef T-shirt)? Either way, there would still be winners for Best in Show, Best Aquascape, and Best Budget Build.

• No Champion (or champion prize). The other prizes would be determined in a typical fashion (where Nano-Reef members vote for the winners at the conclusion of the contest).
    • A "Champion" determined via a Survivor style elimination (one contestant eliminated each week). All contestants will remain eligible for the other prizes at the conclusion of the contest.
    • A "Champion" determined via a NCAA bracket style elimination (monthly head to head voting polls between remaining contestants). Everyone still remains eligible for the other prizes.
  3. 3. Which (if any) of the following restrictions would you like to include?

• None. Let contestants decide the direction of their entries.
    • Contestants must hightight macroalgae and/or plants.
    • Color restrictions (either specific colors, or number of colors).
    • Species restrictions (either specific species/families, or number of species).

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/16/2021 at 04:59 AM

4 hours ago, seabass said:

All tanks which qualify will need to be dry before they begin.  This will be validated by taking a picture of your entry with a specific object (to be disclosed later) placed inside.  The announcement will outline all the contest's requirements (and will be fairly strictly adhered to).

Will save matter this time? Will mine be too small to work with for the contest?

NoOneLikesADryTang
15 minutes ago, CD_Scapes said:

Will save matter this time? Will mine be too small to work with for the contest?

I’m sure you’ll know soon enough, once they announce the contest, and it’s parameters. I don’t think that Seabass or CM will say whether it qualifies or not, until the contest is officially announced. 

• Like 1

It won't be very long before it's officially announced.  I'm really not at liberty to reveal the details just yet, but stay tuned.  CD_Scapes, thanks, I recognize that it was your post that got the ball rolling this time around.  It just happened to morph into its current form; I hope you can appreciate that.

Most of us already have one or more running aquariums; so these contests often encourage people to start yet another (hopefully different) system.  In terms of reef keeping, we usually try to make it possible to keep the costs relatively small, in the hopes that more people can participate.

Sometimes we do these contests to push the limits, sometimes it's to encourage innovation, and sometimes it's to get back to the roots of reef keeping; but it's always for the fun, comradery, and seeing what others ultimately create.  The vision and creativity of our members never ceases to impress me.

• Like 6
6 hours ago, seabass said:

It won't be very long before it's officially announced.  I'm really not at liberty to reveal the details just yet, but stay tuned.  CD_Scapes, thanks, I recognize that it was your post that got the ball rolling this time around.  It just happened to morph into its current form; I hope you can appreciate that.

Most of us already have one or more running aquariums; so these contests often encourage people to start yet another (hopefully different) system.  In terms of reef keeping, we usually try to make it possible to keep the costs relatively small, in the hopes that more people can participate.

Sometimes we do these contests to push the limits, sometimes it's to encourage innovation, and sometimes it's to get back to the roots of reef keeping; but it's always for the fun, comradery, and seeing what others ultimately create.  The vision and creativity of our members never ceases to impress me.

Yah it’s all good, I’m too busy with college to try and manage a contest 😂. I might participate but that’s about it 

• Like 2
37 minutes ago, seabass said:

That would be an interesting challenge.  I could totally see Nano-Reef doing that someday.

I already have the tank planned out - hope it happens someday! Not this year though… with my major splurge on the Aquaspin I will be hard pressed to get another expenditure like an expensive new tank authorized. 😬😬😬

• Like 1
NoOneLikesADryTang
30 minutes ago, seabass said:

Haha, you guys are so close.  The official notice goes out tomorrow. omgomgomg

Soooooo… What time should I set my alarm for?

18 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

kung pao montipora palawanensis growth contest 😂

Or Jason Fox Kung Fu Fighters zoa!

• Haha 4
15 minutes ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

What time should I set my alarm for?

Just in case there are questions, I'll probably wait to post it until around 9AM CDT.  That way I'll be better able to answer questions (in a sort of, relatively prompt manner).  We won't be starting just yet, but all the details will be laid out for you.

• Like 5
NoOneLikesADryTang
2 minutes ago, seabass said:

Just in case there are questions, I'll probably wait to post it until around 9AM CDT.  That way I'll be better able to answer questions (in a sort of, relatively prompt manner).  We won't be starting just yet, but all the details will be laid out for you.

Perfect. Nice and early for those of us on the west coast! 

Can’t wait to start planning my Kung Fu/Survivor/Bracket Buster/Grow Out/Dolly Parton Competition tank!

• Haha 4
1 minute ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

Can’t wait to start planning my Kung Fu/Survivor/Bracket Buster/Grow Out/Dolly Parton Competition tank!

:lol: Can't get anything past you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4