ReefCleaners.org

Next Nano-Reef Contest - Criteria Poll

seabass

2022 Nano-Reef Contest Criteria Poll  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Which contest would you prefer to follow or participate in?

• A 5 Gallon Bucket Challenge. Use a standard 5 gallon bucket or a 150 gallon salt mix bucket (modifications allowed) for your tank.
    • Nano-Reef Carboy Contest. Use a 1 to 6 gallon glass or plastic carboy (in any orientation, with modifications permitted) for your tank.
    • Standard rectangular (non-AIO) 10 gallon tank (20" long x 10" wide x 12" high), or the closest match available. Additional modifications, including AIO conversions, would be permitted.
    • Any aquarium between 5 and 20 gallons. Additional water volume (via external sump or filtration) not to exceed the display tank's volume. No other equipment restrictions.
    • Something else. Offer a suggestion below.
  2. 2. Would you like to include an elimination game to determine a "Champion" (awarded a Nano-Reef T-shirt)? Either way, there would still be winners for Best in Show, Best Aquascape, and Best Budget Build.

• No Champion (or champion prize). The other prizes would be determined in a typical fashion (where Nano-Reef members vote for the winners at the conclusion of the contest).
    • A "Champion" determined via a Survivor style elimination (one contestant eliminated each week). All contestants will remain eligible for the other prizes at the conclusion of the contest.
    • A "Champion" determined via a NCAA bracket style elimination (monthly head to head voting polls between remaining contestants). Everyone still remains eligible for the other prizes.
  3. 3. Which (if any) of the following restrictions would you like to include?

• None. Let contestants decide the direction of their entries.
    • Contestants must hightight macroalgae and/or plants.
    • Color restrictions (either specific colors, or number of colors).
    • Species restrictions (either specific species/families, or number of species).

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/16/2021 at 04:59 AM

NoOneLikesADryTang
41 minutes ago, seabass said:

:lol:

Turn on the power

And the pumps start pumpin'

An uncovered tank

And the fish start jumpin'

It's just like that when you're reefin' 9 to 5

Reefin' 9 to 5

Working hard to keep things livin'

It's barely gettin' by

Still we find it all upliftin'

Reefin' 9 to 5

It's enough to drive you

Crazy if you let it

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47hyf3lb20k4k6r3ma76

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
NoOneLikesADryTang

So I was thinking about the Reefer Madness bracket thing, that was suggested…

If we decide to incorporate it, maybe the earlier matches should be based on tank size ranges, so you’re comparing somewhat similar tanks. 1-4 gallons, 5-8 gallons, 9-12 gallons, 13-16 gallons. I’m guessing the majority of the tanks would be in the 5-8, or the 9-12 range, so they’d probably need to be on opposite sides of the bracket. To play in to the bracket/March Madness theme, I went with a 16 gallon tank max, with each range being 4 gallons. 

3433CEB3-0AD2-4005-B4B6-615CDE2F41C4.jpeg.1339111b468f11b9d2b861293ccc5a36.jpeg

I know not everyone one likes the bracket idea, but around 2/3’s of those that have voted, like the voting twist to the normal competition. Personally, I think it’s a creative way to engage others on your build thread, and it’s just a side game, to the tank challenge, and doesn’t disqualify anyone throughout the challenge. 

• Like 3

Looks like I voted 100% with the crowd favorites so far!  Hmmmmm....I may just have to get involved with a 5g-20g tank, if that's what it ends up being.  I really enjoyed the cookie jar contest I was in a few years ago.

• Like 3

I went with the bucket. It is something everyone has and it would probably surprise others to see a thriving reef in a bucket. Top downs make the best photos imo!

As far as aesthetics goes... no one said you can't paint and decorate it. People do this for planters. 

Now imagine a mangrove growing out the top and you walk over and look in and see bright coral....

ahh.. not so boring and ugly now eh! More of a surpriseee bucket reef! 

1618938041425.jpeg

• Like 4
16 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Now imagine a mangrove growing out the top and you walk over and look in and see bright coral....

I totally agree.

Plus, I'd love to see someone make viewing portals in the side.  I'm pretty sure that you can make one out of a sheet of acrylic, some PVC pipe, and a UNISEAL bulkhead.  If we go with something that allows 5 gallon containers, I sure hope we see a bucket or two.

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, seabass said:

I totally agree.

Plus, I'd love to see someone make viewing portals in the side.  I'm pretty sure that you can make one out of a sheet of acrylic, some PVC pipe, and a UNISEAL bulkhead.  If we go with something that allows 5 gallon containers, I sure hope we see a bucket or two.

Ok twist my arm I’ll think about doing a bucket 🤔

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Update: CM let me know what he thinks would work out best (and I agree).  We considered this poll (which is now closed), as well as the discussions in both contest threads.  It should be a lot of fun.  We're still working out some of the details, so we won't be disclosing anything just yet.  But hold on, an announcement will be posted soon (and linked in this thread).

54_you-can-finally-mute-annoying-users-with-twitters-new-feature-2_-_qu50_rt1600x1024-_os1000x727-_rd1000x727-.jpg

• Like 5
  • Wow 2
  • Thanks 1

Haters Gonna Hate. :lol:  Seriously not trying to keep it a secret.  I'm working on the details and seeing about possible sponsors.  Just thought I'd mention why the poll was closed.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4
NoOneLikesADryTang
Just now, seabass said:

Haters Gonna Hate.

Don’t make me unleash the wrath of FFF on you! 

Thanks for all of your hard work, all ready on this. I’m sure it’s only just begun. It’s truly appreciated! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, seabass said:

Haters Gonna Hate. :lol:  Seriously not trying to keep it a secret.  I'm working on the details and seeing about possible sponsors.  Just thought I'd mention why the poll was closed.

Oh yeah we already knew you were powerful… we don’t hate you, we fear you. 😬

😉😂

Thanks for working on this! 🤗

• Haha 3
Just now, M. Tournesol said:

From what I understand 🤔, the contest should start in January 2022.

I will say that we're thinking about it starting much sooner (possibly in October).  I don't want people missing out because they think it'll be sometime next year.

• Like 3
  • Wow 2
3 minutes ago, seabass said:

I will say that we're thinking about it starting much sooner (possibly in October).  I don't want people missing out because they think it'll be sometime next year.

So I can use my 5S for the tank possibly? It’s only a 2 gallon I guess 

8 minutes ago, CD_Scapes said:

So I can use my 5S for the tank possibly? It’s only a 2 gallon I guess 

All tanks which qualify will need to be dry before they begin.  This will be validated by taking a picture of your entry with a specific object (to be disclosed later) placed inside.  The announcement will outline all the contest's requirements (and will be fairly strictly adhered to).

• Like 2
NoOneLikesADryTang
1 hour ago, seabass said:

All tanks which qualify will need to be dry before they begin.  This will be validated by taking a picture of your entry with a specific object (to be disclosed later) placed inside.  The announcement will outline all the contest's requirements (and will be fairly strictly adhered to).

It was really weird last competition that we did condoms and mints, but who am I to judge?!

D1A933B0-D7AA-4F02-BBAB-144C1D144E9E.thumb.jpeg.704c3a158e7e90ec133e725e231614e2.jpeg

• Haha 6