Top Shelf Aquatics

Next Nano-Reef Contest - Criteria Poll

seabass

2022 Nano-Reef Contest Criteria Poll  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Which contest would you prefer to follow or participate in?

• A 5 Gallon Bucket Challenge. Use a standard 5 gallon bucket or a 150 gallon salt mix bucket (modifications allowed) for your tank.
    • Nano-Reef Carboy Contest. Use a 1 to 6 gallon glass or plastic carboy (in any orientation, with modifications permitted) for your tank.
    • Standard rectangular (non-AIO) 10 gallon tank (20" long x 10" wide x 12" high), or the closest match available. Additional modifications, including AIO conversions, would be permitted.
    • Any aquarium between 5 and 20 gallons. Additional water volume (via external sump or filtration) not to exceed the display tank's volume. No other equipment restrictions.
    • Something else. Offer a suggestion below.
  2. 2. Would you like to include an elimination game to determine a "Champion" (awarded a Nano-Reef T-shirt)? Either way, there would still be winners for Best in Show, Best Aquascape, and Best Budget Build.

• No Champion (or champion prize). The other prizes would be determined in a typical fashion (where Nano-Reef members vote for the winners at the conclusion of the contest).
    • A "Champion" determined via a Survivor style elimination (one contestant eliminated each week). All contestants will remain eligible for the other prizes at the conclusion of the contest.
    • A "Champion" determined via a NCAA bracket style elimination (monthly head to head voting polls between remaining contestants). Everyone still remains eligible for the other prizes.
  3. 3. Which (if any) of the following restrictions would you like to include?

• None. Let contestants decide the direction of their entries.
    • Contestants must hightight macroalgae and/or plants.
    • Color restrictions (either specific colors, or number of colors).
    • Species restrictions (either specific species/families, or number of species).

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/16/2021 at 04:59 AM

filefishfinatic

how do i cut a plastic/acrylic aquarium in half with a hand saw? i was considering making 0.5 gal shallow tank with a pico fish and some nano inverts because i have a 1 gal tall sitting around and i thought it would be cooler to do 0.5 gallon. does anyone know a small pico light that is cost friendly? 

3 minutes ago, filefishfinatic said:

how do i cut a plastic/acrylic aquarium in half with a hand saw? i was considering making 0.5 gal shallow tank with a pico fish and some nano inverts because i have a 1 gal tall sitting around and i thought it would be cooler to do 0.5 gallon. does anyone know a small pico light that is cost friendly? 

This topic might be better covered in a separate thread.

However, while possible to cut, I think it'd be easier (and possibly cheaper) to make a new one than to cleanly modify an existing one.  But, I feel you'd be even better off buying a new tank with the dimensions you actually want.

2 hours ago, seabass said:

:lol:  You've read my mind!  Well almost.  I agree with banasophia that 0 to 40 gallons is too broad.  So last night, I started drafting a post proposing a 5 gallon contest.  Any tank, any container, of 5 gallons, including:

• Containers (like buckets and storage totes)
  • Vessels (like carboys and vases)
  • AIO tanks, MiniBows, standard rectangular tanks, etc.
  • Multiple connected systems totaling 5 gallons (like a 3 gallon tank, with a 2 gallon sump)
  • Five one gallon jars linked together.  I got you M. Tournesol. :wink:
  • Really anything that holds 5 gallons

Note: An additional gallon buffer would be allowed for filtration, or even a slightly larger tank.

5contest.jpg.aa8d63f10a261690be2e47f686d16612.jpgFive gallons is typically considered either a pico or a nano, and there are a number of aquariums produced which would fit into this range.  I feel the biggest appeal of the carboy and bucket challenges, would have been seeing all of the innovative ways which contestants would overcome the obvious limitations.  However, I'd still like to see someone attempt to create something beautiful out of one of them.

Plus, I'm still considering incorporating the REEF MADNESS game.

Just some possible tanks:

• 015905001021_100531609_Frameless06_Empty.jpgAqueon 6 gallon frameless cube
  • 100541424Rimless55Empty.jpgAqueon 5.5 gallon rimless cube
  • 91P+xzNViBL._AC_SY300_SX300_.jpgFluval Evo 5

• 81arpzemVqL._AC_UL320_.jpgKoller 360 6 gallon

• 91SL+Xl1h0L._AC_SY300_SX300_.jpgMiniBow 5 gallon

• and so on...

• Like 3
NoOneLikesADryTang
16 minutes ago, seabass said:

Just some possible tanks:

• 015905001021_100531609_Frameless06_Empty.jpgAqueon 6 gallon frameless cube
  • 100541424Rimless55Empty.jpgAqueon 5.5 gallon rimless cube
  • 91P+xzNViBL._AC_SY300_SX300_.jpgFluval Evo 5

• 81arpzemVqL._AC_UL320_.jpgKoller 360 6 gallon

• 91SL+Xl1h0L._AC_SY300_SX300_.jpgMiniBow 5 gallon

• and so on...

How is it a five gallon and under contest when three of your suggested tanks are over five gallons? I think when you get that small, you’re limiting the amount of people wanting to participate. Heck, 53% (as of now) of your poll are people voting for tanks from 5-20 gallons. 

filefishfinatic

how about we all get random constraints pmed to us except for tank size and we start with genral size categories and the winner of each then gets critiqued with like 1 from each tank size then half of them leave then its 1v1 contesst whoever wins that voting wins the contest instead of everybody voting at once where it would be easy to fake results. 

3 hours ago, M. Tournesol said:

@seabass, you should just run another pool for a week to at least put an end to the question of the authorized number of gallons.

(Or you could exercise your power of dictator and just decide 🤫)

@seabass , with approval from Chris Marks, just pick what you think is best. Sounds like a 5-6 gallon whatever style. Not everyone is going to be happy no matter what is chosen.

• Like 6
1 hour ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

How is it a five gallon and under contest when three of your suggested tanks are over five gallons?

My suggestion was for a five gallon contest (not 5 or under).  In my post, I specified an additional one gallon buffer for filtration, or even a larger tank.  So, in essence, it'd be a 5 to 6 gallon contest.  However, if stated like that, I'm sure I'd have a lot of people with 6 gallon tanks wanting external filtration, etc.

I think when you get that small, you’re limiting the amount of people wanting to participate.

Bingo, so I added the 1 gallon buffer to open things up even more.  Just look at the possible options (and I didn't even search very hard).  There's got to be something that might appeal to you.

Heck, 53% (as of now) of your poll are people voting for tanks from 5-20 gallons.

Yeah, out of the current options, I get why it's popular.  It might be my favorite of those too.

I believe I will do as M. Tournesol suggests and start in new poll (maybe as early as next week).  But I am kind of liking the 5 gallon option.

5contest.jpg.aa8d63f10a261690be2e47f686d16612.jpg

• Like 5
15 minutes ago, PeterU said:

@seabass, with approval from Chris Marks, just pick what you think is best. Sounds like a 5-6 gallon whatever style. Not everyone is going to be happy no matter what is chosen.

I really feel the back and forth discussion has brought up a number of concerns, which has ultimately proven helpful.  A final poll might help, but it also might cause more confusion.  However, I'll definitely work with CM to see what he thinks (about the contest, and about the poll).  Like you said, with conflicting suggestions, it's impossible to accommodate them all.

• Like 5
filefishfinatic
39 minutes ago, seabass said:

My suggestion was for a five gallon contest (not 5 or under).  In my post, I specified an additional one gallon buffer for filtration, or even a larger tank.  So, in essence, it'd be a 5 to 6 gallon contest.  However, if stated like that, I'm sure I'd have a lot of people with 6 gallon tanks wanting external filtration, etc.

Bingo, so I added the 1 gallon buffer to open things up even more.  Just look at the possible options (and I didn't even search very hard).  There's got to be something that might appeal to you.

Yeah, out of the current option, I get why it's popular.  It might be my favorite of those too.

I believe I will do as M. Tournesol suggests and start in new poll (maybe as early as next week).  But I am kind of liking the 5 gallon option.

5contest.jpg.aa8d63f10a261690be2e47f686d16612.jpg

could i use a half full 10 gallon?

M. Tournesol
9 minutes ago, filefishfinatic said:

could i use a half full 10 gallon?

You cannot participate in the contest if you do not respect the rules. 

For the moment, nothing is decided. It will surely take at least a month to finalize all the kink of the contest theme and rules.

Be patient @filefishfinatic

• Like 1
NoOneLikesADryTang

I guess the reason I like the broadness of gallons(All though, I agree with you and Banasophia that going to 40 gallons is probably too broad.), is it allows more people to participate, with something they may all ready have, rather than having to go out and buy a new tank/heater/etc just to participate. 

filefishfinatic

why dont we do it so we all get random constraints but we can use any tank size and we start competing with everybody in our tank size then the winners get voted down to 2 tanks which get voted on. so its harder to cheat with alternate accounts. 

13 minutes ago, filefishfinatic said:

i want to know if a half full 10 gallon qualifies as a 5 gallon though. 

If we go with a 5 gallon contest, I'd probably say no.  However, a half full 5 gallon might be alright.

• Wow 1
filefishfinatic

but its 5 gallons of water but just half full. it would be exactly like a 5 gal just very shallow. i would get mangroves and put air plants on them if i did that

1 hour ago, filefishfinatic said:

but its 5 gallons of water but just half full. it would be exactly like a 5 gal just very shallow. i would get mangroves and put air plants on them if i did that

I get the concept.  But I'm pretty sure the answer would still be a no.  Now if the size restriction were changed to include 10 gallon tanks, that would be fine.

• Like 4
NoOneLikesADryTang
2 hours ago, seabass said:

🤔

9to5.jpg.cd9dbb9d74f9ab4f35f82ed38f26cbc4.jpg

Any tank(s), container(s), and filters totaling between 5 and 9 gallons (office tanks encouraged).

You seriously make the best logos! 

Does this mean since I work 12 hour days I get to use any container up to 12 gallons? 🤔🤣🤪

• Like 2
  • Haha 4
3 hours ago, seabass said:

🤔

9to5.jpg.cd9dbb9d74f9ab4f35f82ed38f26cbc4.jpg

Any tank(s), container(s), and filters totaling between 5 and 9 gallons (office tanks encouraged).

I really like this. It gives a lot of wiggle room in tank size, especially when you get to include filter in the mix. Maybe I can make something happen with that 3.7 pico laying around. 

• Like 3

:lol:

Turn on the power

And the pumps start pumpin'

An uncovered tank

And the fish start jumpin'

It's just like that when you're reefin' 9 to 5

Reefin' 9 to 5

Working hard to keep things livin'

It's barely gettin' by

Still we find it all upliftin'

Reefin' 9 to 5