Coral Vue Hydros

Next Nano-Reef Contest - Criteria Poll

seabass

2022 Nano-Reef Contest Criteria Poll  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Which contest would you prefer to follow or participate in?

• A 5 Gallon Bucket Challenge. Use a standard 5 gallon bucket or a 150 gallon salt mix bucket (modifications allowed) for your tank.
    • Nano-Reef Carboy Contest. Use a 1 to 6 gallon glass or plastic carboy (in any orientation, with modifications permitted) for your tank.
    • Standard rectangular (non-AIO) 10 gallon tank (20" long x 10" wide x 12" high), or the closest match available. Additional modifications, including AIO conversions, would be permitted.
    • Any aquarium between 5 and 20 gallons. Additional water volume (via external sump or filtration) not to exceed the display tank's volume. No other equipment restrictions.
    • Something else. Offer a suggestion below.
  2. 2. Would you like to include an elimination game to determine a "Champion" (awarded a Nano-Reef T-shirt)? Either way, there would still be winners for Best in Show, Best Aquascape, and Best Budget Build.

• No Champion (or champion prize). The other prizes would be determined in a typical fashion (where Nano-Reef members vote for the winners at the conclusion of the contest).
    • A "Champion" determined via a Survivor style elimination (one contestant eliminated each week). All contestants will remain eligible for the other prizes at the conclusion of the contest.
    • A "Champion" determined via a NCAA bracket style elimination (monthly head to head voting polls between remaining contestants). Everyone still remains eligible for the other prizes.
  3. 3. Which (if any) of the following restrictions would you like to include?

• None. Let contestants decide the direction of their entries.
    • Contestants must hightight macroalgae and/or plants.
    • Color restrictions (either specific colors, or number of colors).
    • Species restrictions (either specific species/families, or number of species).

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/16/2021 at 04:59 AM

filefishfinatic

i am going to opt for 10 gallon tank because i dont want to buy another tank but it wuld have to be 10 gallon tank all equipment no hyper actinic (Unless deepwater) no designer coral and it has to be a biotope, dosent have to be 100% accurate but all fish and coral have to be at least in the same ocean. i think that would be doable. all id need is chinese powerhead, sand, tank ato and clamp on grow light. sand 30$ ato 45$ tank free light about 10$ pump about 20$ heater about 15$) (100$ total) (i change number to 150 so people can do aio and things because 100 is kinda tight, technically i wouldnt include sand but im a massochist and i want a tank as constrained as possible. all that equipment would actually be 90$ (100 with tank). i would do 4" dsb and pair of jawfish possibly. 

The Rainy Day Aquarium

Just thinking out loud for themes:

• Budget build (set amount not to go over)
  • No filter themed (use only rockwork etc for filtration)
  • HOB themed (must use an aquaclear or something like that)
  • Light themed (all use the same budget light)
  • Lagoon style themed
  • Mangrove tank theme
  • A themed theme (3 prizes for best themed softy, lps, and sps dedicated tanks)
  • Windowseal tank (use the SUN to power your reef!)
  • Dollar store or equivalent themed (must use at least 3 items to use in your build)
  • Under 1 gallon themed

I'm sure some of these have been done or brought up in the past. It kind of sounds like we still don't know what we want so I guess the more ideas the merrier right? 

• Like 8
filefishfinatic

i like dollar store and sunlit idea. i have a funny one tho. aquaclear 70 tank and you attach the ac to a 2nd tank and run it slow flow and put stuff in it

21 minutes ago, M. Tournesol said:

Is it possible to have the list of the theme of all nano-reef previous contests?

IDK, maybe https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Anano-reef.com+contest :unsure:

But I'm not sure that we have to make sure we don't repeat a contest which most people can't recall, or was run before most people joined Nano-Reef.  While we don't necessarily want to keep rehashing the same themes, I believe participation in the Creative Container Contest wasn't any worse than most other contests.  I think if we resort to doing things we haven't done before, we might be left with pico water bubbles floating in a zero gravity environment. :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Bro… (I have a 13 year old so everyone is Bro now)

I suggested what I think are two fairly compelling contest ideas in the other thread and you did not even mention them in your poll. Now you can see why I don’t like the survivor idea… you are already voting my ideas off the island without even putting them to the vote. 

Both of my ideas would fall under restrictions.

Idea 1:

Additions to the persons tank would be made by voting between two options they present to the rest of us, for example live rock or dry rock, scape A or scape B, acan or clove polyps. This has the potential to make it fun and engaging even for people that aren’t doing a tank since they could vote and follow along to see how it comes together with their input. 

Idea 2:

Tank should be done using methods and livestock the person has never used before. For new hobbyists this would mean they could do pretty much anything, but for experienced reefers this would give us a fun new challenge. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, filefishfinatic said:

i dont necessariy like the 1st idea because if the people chose something dumb it could crash your tank/

Oh, that’s a really good clarification to make! The person running the tank would be the one making the two suggestions, so it would be two options the person with the tank liked in the first place. 

So for example I would come up with two rockscapes, both of which I liked and would be happy with, then post pics of both and people would vote to pick which one I would use. 

• Like 1
filefishfinatic

but what if the descision was like a fang blenny with other fish vs a bicolor blenny but they didnt know fang blenny was agressive and it hurt their fishes but they vot ethe fang blenny. 

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, filefishfinatic said:

but what if the descision was like a fang blenny with other fish vs a bicolor blenny but they didnt know fang blenny was agressive and it hurt their fishes but they vot ethe fang blenny. 

If it’s your tank, you would only list two options that you have researched already, and would be happy with either one. You could still get peoples input on choosing your livestock before you even get to the point of narrowing it down for the vote. 

You are really the one making the decision because you are only giving two options you like. The voting part is only to present two variations both of which you yourself would be happy with.  

Like, for example, I know I want a clownfish pair, I might put: a) standard ocellaris clownfish pair, b) mochavinchi clownfish pair, or c) orange skunk clownfish pair 

Or, I know I want a clown goby, I would put: a) yellow clown goby, b) green clown goby, c) panda goby

But maybe I’m trying to decide something more drastic like a) community tank, b) predator tank… people might vote, but also might tell me they think a predator tank isn’t a great idea in the 5 gallon tank I’m running.

And some people could be bolder in their options than others. If you were someone who really wanted to be daring, you could list options that are wildly different for others to vote on, or if you didn’t want to be so daring you could choose options that are very similar to each other.

I’ve done voting on some of my Instagram stuff… it can be a fun way to get people to chime in.

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, banasophia said:

I suggested what I think are two fairly compelling contest ideas in the other thread and you did not even mention them in your poll. Now you can see why I don’t like the survivor idea… you are already voting my ideas off the island without even putting them to the vote. 

I'm trying not to dismiss anybody, or any idea.  And like you said, there are a number of suggestions that conflict with other suggestions.  However, I didn't dismiss your concerns about an elimination game, and included your concern in the poll (and apparently almost 30% of the current responders agree with you).

Since you directly addressed me:

14 minutes ago, banasophia said:

Idea 1:

Additions to the persons tank would be made by voting between two options they present to the rest of us, for example live rock or dry rock, scape A or scape B, acan or clove polyps. This has the potential to make it fun and engaging even for people that aren’t doing a tank since they could vote and follow along to see how it comes together with their input.

While this doesn't particularly appeal to me personally, I'm glad that you offered up this suggestion.  It gets people thinking, and might spark the interest of our members.

15 minutes ago, banasophia said:

Idea 2:

Tank should be done using methods and livestock the person has never used before. For new hobbyists this would mean they could do pretty much anything, but for experienced reefers this would give us a fun new challenge. 

I like this one better.  I'd like to think that this is happening on some level anyway.  By nature, we tend like to try new things out.  It's one of the reason many of us participate in these contests.

Keep up the suggestions. 👍

• Like 1

This is what I'm struggling with.  A lot of us already have a reef tank, some of us have more than one.  For those of us with multiple tank syndrome, it's not that uncommon to read posts where people are contemplating pairing things down.  This is completely contrary to having a contest which is encouraging people to start a new tank.  Couple that with the fact that prices seem insanely high to me, which makes me wonder if I'd want to participate in a contest which would cost hundreds of dollars (especially if I already have as many tanks as I care to keep long term).

I'm sure that this has impacted the choices that I've included in the poll.  I get that these are odd choices, and won't appeal to everybody.  My intention wasn't to get people to start another tank which they were to keep long term (or to invest a lot of money into a contest tank that would be decommissioned shortly after the contest ends).  So my bias has been, and will probably continue to be, towards budget friendly tanks.  However, I'll gladly run the contest (without an entry) if the community decides to go with something which requires a larger investment.

I have a stockpile of equipment that I'm currently not using (from past tanks, and past contests).  I also have enough rock and sand to start a half a dozen tanks.  When thinking about joining a new contest, I often consider what can I use that I already have.  I have a feeling that I'm not alone in this.  However, I realize that not everyone has the same goals, budget, available space, understanding spouse, available time, etc.  I want this to be a community decision, not mine; hence this poll.  Keep up with the good suggestions everyone, and thanks for your input.

• Like 8
3 minutes ago, seabass said:

This is what I'm struggling with.  A lot of us already have a reef tank, some of us have more than one.  For those of us with multiple tank syndrome, it's not that uncommon to read posts where people are contemplating pairing things down.  This is completely contrary to having a contest which is encouraging people to start a new tank.  Couple that with the fact that prices seem insanely high to me, which makes me wonder if I'd want to participate in a contest which would cost hundreds of dollars (especially if I already have as many tanks as I care to keep long term).

I'm sure that this has impacted the choices that I've included in the poll.  I get that these are odd choices, and won't appeal to everybody.  My intention wasn't to get people to start another tank which they were to keep long term (or to invest a lot of money into a contest tank that would be decommissioned shortly after the contest ends).  So my bias has been, and will probably continue to be, towards budget friendly tanks.  However, I'll gladly run the contest (without an entry) if the community decides to go with something which requires a larger investment.

I have a stockpile of equipment that I'm currently not using (from past tanks, and past contests).  I also have enough rock and sand to start a half a dozen tanks.  When thinking about joining a new contest, I often consider what can I use that I already have.  I have a feeling that I'm not alone in this.  However, I realize that not everyone has the same goals, budget, available space, understanding spouse, available time, etc.  I want this to be a community decision, not mine; hence this poll.  Keep up with the good suggestions everyone, and thanks for your input.

It’s not until next year, so we still have lots of time to decide. I think the other thread was nice to just throw out ideas… seems a bit too soon to do the poll when we’re still in the early stages of brainstorming ideas. 

For the reasons you mentioned (especially too many tanks already), I think many of us may not join. Your elimination idea and my voting on stocking idea are really two sides of the same coin… ways to engage those of us that may not do another tank… and I just like my suggestion better because I feel like it’s a positive spin on the same basic idea… my thoughts are always on engaging new members in the forum and helping them feel good about joining the hobby and our forum. 

Personally I’d love to see us brainstorm further and see what we come up with, then do another poll down the road, maybe in a month or so. 

• Like 2
filefishfinatic
1 minute ago, seabass said:

Here was my 1 oz anemone tank:

shotglass.jpg

that looks good. i think possibly like we could do like olympics style where you can enter multiple tanks for different events such as best softy but we could also include constraints overall.

• Like 1

I agree, it'll be really cool to offer prizes for a whole host of categories.  However, we do have to consider sponsors, and what they might get out of giving us free prizes.  I hope we get enough to offer a Best in Show, Best Aquascape, and Best Budget Build.  We might even have to rely on CM to offer up a T-shirt for one of them.  We'll have to see how generous people are feeling when the time comes.

• Like 1

For a glass carboy, could you cut the top off and make it a cylinder tank? Not sure if they could be cut like that? If yes, I’d have an idea for one. 

filefishfinatic
3 minutes ago, banasophia said:

For a glass carboy, could you cut the top off and make it a cylinder tank? Not sure if they could be cut like that? If yes, I’d have an idea for one. 

yes, tie a string around it, light it on fire and dip it in ice water. it works with wine bottles i dont know about other things thog

• Wow 1
10 minutes ago, seabass said:

I agree, it'll be really cool to offer prizes for a whole host of categories.  However, we do have to consider sponsors, and what they might get out of giving us free prizes.  I hope we get enough to offer a Best in Show, Best Aquascape, and Best Budget Build.  We might even have to rely on CM to offer up a T-shirt for one of them.  We'll have to see how generous people are feeling when the time comes.

Sure, we could always do things like tshirts and nano-reef stickers, and members (like me) might even be willing to contribute to the cost of making/shipping them. 

• Like 2
M. Tournesol
3 minutes ago, banasophia said:

members (like me) might even be willing to contribute to the cost of making/shipping them. 

It could be a good option for nano-reefer of the world that want their price even if they need to pay 50 bucks for it.