ReefCleaners.org

Next Nano-Reef Contest - Criteria Poll

seabass

2022 Nano-Reef Contest Criteria Poll  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Which contest would you prefer to follow or participate in?

• A 5 Gallon Bucket Challenge. Use a standard 5 gallon bucket or a 150 gallon salt mix bucket (modifications allowed) for your tank.
    • Nano-Reef Carboy Contest. Use a 1 to 6 gallon glass or plastic carboy (in any orientation, with modifications permitted) for your tank.
    • Standard rectangular (non-AIO) 10 gallon tank (20" long x 10" wide x 12" high), or the closest match available. Additional modifications, including AIO conversions, would be permitted.
    • Any aquarium between 5 and 20 gallons. Additional water volume (via external sump or filtration) not to exceed the display tank's volume. No other equipment restrictions.
    • Something else. Offer a suggestion below.
  2. 2. Would you like to include an elimination game to determine a "Champion" (awarded a Nano-Reef T-shirt)? Either way, there would still be winners for Best in Show, Best Aquascape, and Best Budget Build.

• No Champion (or champion prize). The other prizes would be determined in a typical fashion (where Nano-Reef members vote for the winners at the conclusion of the contest).
    • A "Champion" determined via a Survivor style elimination (one contestant eliminated each week). All contestants will remain eligible for the other prizes at the conclusion of the contest.
    • A "Champion" determined via a NCAA bracket style elimination (monthly head to head voting polls between remaining contestants). Everyone still remains eligible for the other prizes.
  3. 3. Which (if any) of the following restrictions would you like to include?

• None. Let contestants decide the direction of their entries.
    • Contestants must hightight macroalgae and/or plants.
    • Color restrictions (either specific colors, or number of colors).
    • Species restrictions (either specific species/families, or number of species).

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/16/2021 at 04:59 AM

18 minutes ago, M. Tournesol said:

I understand, someone will always be unhappy 😆.  You should juste make broad categories (but not to broad) and let the populace vote.  For example:

• 5 to 20 nano tank
  • Pico tank
  • Less than 40 but with macro
  • Less than 40 but with a unique species of coral

Thanks, I think I'll end up doing something like that.  Although I might change it to the following five choices, and see where the most interest lies:

• Pico (5 gallons or less)
  • 20 gallons or less
  • 5 to 20 gallons (small nano)
  • Nano (5 to 40 gallons)
  • 40 gallons or less

For the people are interested in livestock restrictions, I'd suggest making that part of your theme; a prize would be awarded in that category.  Seems like if we are willing to go this far, why impose further restrictions on people?

Face masks optional when reefing indoors and socially distanced.

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, Chowder's Reef said:

NR fight night 👊💥💢

Welcome to Nano-Reef Fight Club. The first rule of Nano-Reef Fight Club is: You do not talk about Nano-Reef Fight Club. The second rule of Nano-Reef Fight Club is: You DO NOT talk about Nano-Reef Fight Club!

18 minutes ago, ef4life said:

I think different sized classes would be cool. But at some point you have to have an upper size limit, and for the benefit of the animals, possibly minimum size.

I was thinking more about the contest criteria, versus separate categories within the contest (which would essentially be the equivalent to numerous contests running simultaneously).

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, M. Tournesol said:

At worse, I could still link 5 1 gallon jars to make a 5 gallons tank 🤣.

I'm sure there's a way that I could exclude that in the rules. :wink:

• Sad 1
The Rainy Day Aquarium
29 minutes ago, M. Tournesol said:

I understand, someone will always be unhappy 

48 minutes ago, seabass said:

I'm not necessarily opposed to opening it up even further

In all seriousness though, this might be the way to go. Like said, making everyone happy will be a contest in and of itself. 

Using more comprehensive categories might get more people participating as well as easier to manage and judge. Adding in a fun twist, like @seabass's idea of NCAAA, using a poll for livestock choices and such like @banasophia suggested, or something like those as a separate, but integrated part of the contest that would add that uniqueness people want as well. Maybe a best of both worlds case scenario? 

I think this is all understood without me saying it though too lol.

Either way I'm excited and will support whichever contest we decide on. 😀 

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, Chowder's Reef said:

a poll for livestock choices and such like @banasophia suggested

I know she'll hate me for this, but I think I'd treat this as a self imposed restriction.  If people would like ask other members which one of two choices they should pick, then I encourage them to do so.  It might serve to create further interest in their contest tank journal.  However, I'm not currently considering imposing these restrictions on all participants.

28 minutes ago, Chowder's Reef said:

Using more comprehensive categories might get more people participating as well as easier to manage and judge.

Possibly.  I'm a little concerned about the number of prizes required, and difficulty in voting.  It's always surprisingly hard and time consuming it is for people to vote for the winners.  I suppose we could have a contest of 40 gallons or less, broken into the following categories, with best in category for each (and maybe even a best in show): 🤔

• Best Pico (less than 5 gallons)
  • Best smaller nano (5 to less than 20 gallons)
  • Best larger nano (20 to less than 40 gallons)

In addition to the display tank, water volume would include filtration, sumps, and other connected systems.

• Like 5
57 minutes ago, banasophia said:

I really appreciate you working on this

Thank you!

There is just too much to sift through to include everyone's good ideas.  Plus, when you look at a poll, you can only have one per thread (not per post), and you can't change your vote.  I'm not even sure that polls would do what you would like to achieve.

Personally I think it’s getting way too broad at this point

We agree! :lol:

I'm still planning to let the community decide how broad we'll make it.  I'll make it as broad or as narrow as people want (assuming CM is cool with that).

My favorites in the past were the creative container contest and the one where everyone had to use the same tank.

Those were neat, right?  That was also my thinking in coming up with the Carboy and 5-Gallon bucket challenges.  It's also the reason that I included a standard 10 gallon tank.

Maybe the next poll will ask if people would like to standardize on a particular tank/container, or if they prefer something less restrictive.

But I know that I'll only participate if I can do it on the cheap.  We had an AIO contest with everyone using the same tank.  It was neat to follow, but way too expensive for me to participate in (as a temporary contest tank).

• Like 3

Keep in mind that this shouldn't be our last contest.  The next contest could be (and probably should be) completely different.  So if this contest isn't exactly what you might like, hopefully the next one will be.

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, seabass said:

Thank you!

There is just too much to sift through to include everyone's good ideas.  Plus, when you look at a poll, you can only have one per thread (not per post), and you can't change your vote.  I'm not even sure that polls would do what you would like to achieve.

We agree! :lol:

I'm still planning to let the community decide how broad we'll make it.  I'll make it as broad or as narrow as people want (assuming CM is cool with that).

Those were neat, right?  That was also my thinking in coming up with the Carboy and 5-Gallon bucket challenges.  It's also the reason that I included a standard 10 gallon tank.

Maybe the next poll will ask if people would like to standardize on a particular tank/container, or if they prefer something less restrictive.

But I know that I'll only participate if I can do it on the cheap.  We had an AIO contest with everyone using the same tank.  It was neat to follow, but way too expensive for me to participate in (as a temporary contest tank).

Haha I thought you kicked me out cuz I said I was kinda miffed. Nano-Reef stopped working as soon as I submitted my comment. I thought… mental note, Karen, if you get back in do not disagree with seabass, he holds even more power than you thought 😁😂🤗

• Haha 6
1 minute ago, seabass said:

I think your complement broke the site. :lol:

Too bad I didn't quote the whole post, looks like it got lost in the ether.

Haha… Well, you read it, that’s the important part. And the gist of it is that appreciate your work on this even when you ax my ideas. It’ll be fun whatever we come up with. 🤗😘 

• Thanks 1
Nova Scotian

If you’re going to have multiple categories for the contest, maybe you could treat it like a dog show and get a winner from each category, and then use those winners to get a best in show? Or maybe not, just an idea…. 

• Like 1
NoOneLikesADryTang
52 minutes ago, banasophia said:

Haha I thought you kicked me out cuz I said I was kinda miffed. Nano-Reef stopped working as soon as I submitted my comment. I thought… mental note, Karen, if you get back in do not disagree with seabass, he holds even more power than you thought 😁😂🤗

This place wouldn’t be the same without you!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

This place wouldn’t be the same without you!

Sometimes I storm out, but it’s hard to get rid of me for good haha 🤗

• Like 2
The Rainy Day Aquarium
3 hours ago, seabass said:

I'm a little concerned about the number of prizes required, and difficulty in voting.

Haha sorry I was trying to say for the competition being more comprehensive as a whole, as in including, like you said, a broader range of tanks sizes, etc. to allow more accessibility for people, not necessarily actual categories with prizes attached to them. Sorry for the confusion. Although 5-20gallon is pretty solid already imo.

Idk, like I said I have no idea what I'm doing, but I'm willing to support in any way I can. 

• Like 1
NoOneLikesADryTang

So, I discussed this with the Tank Keeper last night, thinking it’d be the first of many conversations until I could wear her down to let me participate, and she was surprisingly on board.

She was even intrigued by the carboy idea, and asked me to reach out to a friend of mine that works with acrylics, and see if making a custom one would be possible. I was nearly speechless. So needless to say, we’re officially in, whenever it starts. I didn’t even have to round up all of the NanoReef support and peer pressure to be able to participate like last year. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
10 hours ago, seabass said:

But I totally get what you are saying.  And the reverse would also be true, why not make it 25 gallons to include IM 25 gallon Fusion tanks?

Ahhh. I think you are understanding why nano reef moderators are a bad idea. I know this is a little off topic but the point is it's hard to make everyone happy. Especially with loud complainers.. even with something as simple as a contest. Good to have input but at the end of the day ya just got to make it happen

I truly believe it will be great no matter what . Remember..😉🤣🤣😎🤙🍻*edit if you build it they will come😄

giphy.gif

• Like 6
chaostactics

I submit for your consideration "non-conventional" "tanks" 5 gallons and under. I.e. you can use any container 5gal* or under as your "tank". If you wanna use a carboy go for it, bucket tickles your fancy great, have an old external skimmer try that as a tank, your mother in law's favorite crockery have at it, a hollowed out X box, not original but it'd be cool to see a new version! Do you have a glass box or fish bowl or cylinder that closely resembles a commercial fish tank NO WAY! 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
6 hours ago, chaostactics said:

I submit for your consideration "non-conventional" "tanks" 5 gallons and under.

:lol:  You've read my mind!  Well almost.  I agree with banasophia that 0 to 40 gallons is too broad.  So last night, I started drafting a post proposing a 5 gallon contest.  Any tank, any container, of 5 gallons, including:

• Containers (like buckets and storage totes)
  • Vessels (like carboys and vases)
  • AIO tanks, MiniBows, standard rectangular tanks, etc.
  • Multiple connected systems totaling 5 gallons (like a 3 gallon tank, with a 2 gallon sump)
  • Five one gallon jars linked together.  I got you M. Tournesol. :wink:
  • Really anything that holds 5 gallons

Note: An additional gallon buffer would be allowed for filtration, or even a slightly larger tank.

5contest.jpg.aa8d63f10a261690be2e47f686d16612.jpgFive gallons is typically considered either a pico or a nano, and there are a number of aquariums produced which would fit into this range.  I feel the biggest appeal of the carboy and bucket challenges, would have been seeing all of the innovative ways which contestants would overcome the obvious limitations.  However, I'd still like to see someone attempt to create something beautiful out of one of them.

Plus, I'm still considering incorporating the REEF MADNESS game.

• Like 4
M. Tournesol
8 minutes ago, seabass said:

Five gallons is typically considered either a pico or a nano, and there are a number of aquariums produced which would fit into this range.  I feel the biggest appeal of the carboy and bucket challenges, would have been seeing all of the different ways which contestants would overcome the obvious problems.  However, I'd still like to see someone attempt to create something beautiful out of one of them.

I'm sad for you @seabass. You are misunderstood. You are just too innovative for us poor mortal 😭.

• Haha 1
filefishfinatic
11 minutes ago, seabass said:

:lol:  You've read my mind!  Well almost.  I agree with banasophia that 0 to 40 gallons is too broad.  So last night, I started drafting a post proposing a 5 gallon contest.  Any tank, any container, of 5 gallons, including:

• Containers (including buckets and storage totes)
  • Vessels (including carboys and vases)
  • AIO tanks, MiniBows, standard rectangular tanks, etc.
  • Multiple connected systems totaling 5 gallons (like a 3 gallon tank, with a 2 gallon sump)
  • Five one gallon jars linked together (I got you M. Tournesol) :wink:
  • Really anything that holds 5 gallons

Note: An additional gallon buffer would be allowed for filtration, or even a slightly larger tank.

5contest.jpg.aa8d63f10a261690be2e47f686d16612.jpgFive gallons is typically considered either a pico or a nano, and there are a number of aquariums produced which would fit into this range.  I feel the biggest appeal of the carboy and bucket challenges, would have been seeing all of the different ways which contestants would overcome the obvious problems.  However, I'd still like to see someone attempt to create something beautiful out of one of them.

Plus, I'm still considering incorporating the REEF MADNESS game.

we should do one for 5 gal and 1 for 10 gal. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, filefishfinatic said:

we should do one for 5 gal and 1 for 10 gal. 

I really like that idea; but maybe we should save that for a future contest (assuming this one goes well).  I just feel that it'd be too much like running two competing contests at the same time.  There wouldn't be as many alternative options available for a ten gallon contest, but I'd still like to see that contest sometime down the road.

filefishfinatic
5 minutes ago, seabass said:

I really like that idea; but maybe we should save that for a future contest (assuming this one goes well).  I just feel that it'd be too much like running two competing contests at the same time.  There wouldn't be as many alternative options available for a ten gallon contest, but I'd still like to see that contest sometime down the road.

mabye just do 1 contest but with each type of tank theres different restrictions like with 10 gal you have to use sun and macroalgae whereas with a carboy you have to feature lps and some species of goby

The Rainy Day Aquarium
1 hour ago, seabass said:

Any tank, any container, of 5 gallons, including:

I actually really like this idea. It's specific enough where it will be easier to judge, but flexible enough to where it's easy enough to participate in and get some creative tanks going. Along with something like reef madness and I'd say we have ourselves a solid contest!

Also on a side note I am continually impressed by your ability to produce these little nano-reef graphics. Great job! 😄👍

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1