SaltCritters.com

3 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

It's so hard to decide exactly what you want in a new set up. Probably why so many have more than one tank.

I know at the moment I want something that will provide a lot of cover and shade. So basically looking for something that likes light so that Mantis has lots of cover and shade to hunt and collect barricade materials 

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

Not sure but would a toadstool work? They like moderate to high light. Pretty hardy and usually not very expensive. 

Toadstool would indeed work, but are crazy expensive which i why i am looking at tank raised items at the moment. For example a toadstool on a standard frag plug (1" frag) normally costs £15-£20 so the same as the anemone. Loads of beginner SPS but nothing that really interests me at the moment too. I do still have a list of Soft corals that I would like to try as well but its finding them at a price i am prepared to pay.

However I will be picking up the BTA tonight on way home. Choice is Rose at £20 or Green at £15. 

• Wow 1
4 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

If they both look healthy, I would go for the rose.

I'll see what they look like when i go around. To be honest both colours would look good in my opinion plus every coral i have so far except the Xenia is green so could go green theme or alter it with the rose 🤷‍♂️

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Ratvan said:

I know at the moment I want something that will provide a lot of cover and shade. So basically looking for something that likes light so that Mantis has lots of cover and shade to hunt and collect barricade materials 

You could easily create more crevice and cover for your mantis by adding more rock
In my 9to5 cubicle, I specifically looked for rock with a lot of holes and little caves. This gives a lot of zones for my mantis to hide.
I know three spots in three different rocks that she love to use. When I am looking for her, I generally find her here.

IMG_4341.thumb.jpg.858bb9b710ab6576cdd96c346edf7a72.jpg

It's less exciting than corals but it would work (and would give you more mounting zone for corals 😉).

Edited by M. Tournesol
  • Like 4
12 minutes ago, M. Tournesol said:

You could easily create more crevice and cover for your mantis by adding more rock
In my 9to5 cubicle, I specifically looked for rock with a lot of holes and little caves. This gives a lot of zones for my mantis to hide.
I know three spots in three different rocks that she love to use. When I am looking for her, I generally found her here.

IMG_4341.thumb.jpg.858bb9b710ab6576cdd96c346edf7a72.jpg

It's less exciting than corals but it would work (and would give you more mounting zone for corals 😉).

Also a possibility, again though selection issue the rock i can find locally is basically base rock painted purple so really dense and very few to no micropores for bacteria growth, I am half hoping that I can take both a nem and some of the rockwork. It is a very nice looking tank

60E9CAAF-A181-4D8F-BC7C-A698AE7410E7.thumb.jpeg.3be21d5a8a9f47865b52e7491ceebb7f.jpeg

Will see what "frags" are about too 

• Like 4

Gorgeous, hilarious that nems are half the price of toadstools over there though, the states have gone absolutely bonkers, and nems can sell for like $300-500 depending on the strain too.

• Wow 1
2 minutes ago, A.m.P said:

Gorgeous, hilarious that nems are half the price of toadstools over there though, the states have gone absolutely bonkers, and nems can sell for like $300-500 depending on the strain too.

It's popularity and lack of supply. This guy had a little 20 gallon system just for the bubble tip babies and trumpet frags. All the trumpets had been stung had 12 baby nems 

• Like 2
NoOneLikesADryTang

It’s interesting that in the UK they called that a “Rose”. Here, that’d be called a “Rainbow”. Rose is usually reserved for BTA’s that are red.

2 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

It's popularity and lack of supply. This guy had a little 20 gallon system just for the bubble tip babies and trumpet frags. All the trumpets had been stung had 12 baby nems 

I wish I could get mine to split that frequently! I’ve had it for 7 of 8 months and not a single split. 

• Like 3
33 minutes ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

It’s interesting that in the UK they called that a “Rose”. Here, that’d be called a “Rainbow”. Rose is usually reserved for BTA’s that are red.

I wish I could get mine to split that frequently! I’ve had it for 7 of 8 months and not a single split. 

BTA it is then. Don't really care much for names if it looks that pretty. Most likely lighting differences between tanks. My stock and reduced fluvals and his T5 combo magnificence 

5 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

Once it does the first time it probably will often and you will have them everywhere.

Yeah he started with 1 and that split, then they split etc etc.

Will be interesting

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, M. Tournesol said:

Do you plan to try to introduce a clown fish?

With the anemone, it may be protected from the mantis 🤔.

No plans for fish anytime soon. The RSM is being restarted next week so maybe clowns in that one with BTA splits. For me the evo tank is too small for a Clown Pair, especially since I like the Clarkii clowns

• Like 4
24 minutes ago, ronix said:

cool nem! Jealous of your mantis shrimp! They are hard to find up here. 

Thanks I'm looking for other colour morphs now 🤣. I'm  glad I shopped around and finally found a mantis, really enjoy her in the tank

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
4 minutes ago, M. Tournesol said:

From what I have read on the internet, mixing anemones is not a good idea as they will inhibit each other with chemical warfare.
But I don't know if this observation is valid with mini maxi and BTA.

I agree that it mostly seems that way, either seems to be coral warfare or the Maxi Mini stings the ever loving crap out of the BTA's foot if they touch. I did however find a compatability spreadsheet which suggests things may be alright and could work out. 

Not on this forum though, but located here  (SORRY FOR OTHER FORUM LINK)

• Like 1
  • Ratvan changed the title to Mantis Murder Manor