Coral Vue Hydros

Spencer7

44 minutes ago, TheKleinReef said:

Is the goal to get away from ULNS? or run with it?

If you wanna run with the ULNS i'd try and get the alk down. ULNS and alk <7.7 doesn't go well.

(i skimmed the thread, maybe I missed this)

That's a good point. I wasn't really aware that people ran alk lower with ULNS systems. I'll slowly bring it down below 8.0. 

I plan to stick with a low-nutrient system (e.g 0.02-0.03 PO4, 2-3 NO3). 

It's more convenient for me to keep a low bioload and really dose for the corals, as needed. I don't have the rock work or time to run a 'high in, high out' tank. 

Fish are an after-thought to the acropora so I just want bare minimum nutrients for them to thrive (without nuisance algae etc.)

TheKleinReef
51 minutes ago, Spencer7 said:

That's a good point. I wasn't really aware that people ran alk lower with ULNS systems. I'll slowly bring it down below 8.0. 

I plan to stick with a low-nutrient system (e.g 0.02-0.03 PO4, 2-3 NO3). 

It's more convenient for me to keep a low bioload and really dose for the corals, as needed. I don't have the rock work or time to run a 'high in, high out' tank. 

Fish are an after-thought to the acropora so I just want bare minimum nutrients for them to thrive (without nuisance algae etc.)

Thisis basically the entire KZ Zeovit methodology just without all their bacterial strain dosing/zeolite use/carbon dosing

Focus on coral nutrition and avoid alk swings. alk swings with low nutrient systems is a death sentence for acros.

You probably could get away with feeding more, if your skimmer can keep up. Some of the best tanks I know of just have a big ol skimmer and use lots of foods/AAs

• Agree 1
54 minutes ago, TheKleinReef said:

Thisis basically the entire KZ Zeovit methodology just without all their bacterial strain dosing/zeolite use/carbon dosing

Focus on coral nutrition and avoid alk swings. alk swings with low nutrient systems is a death sentence for acros.

You probably could get away with feeding more, if your skimmer can keep up. Some of the best tanks I know of just have a big ol skimmer and use lots of foods/AAs

Correct, you remember my old ~40g SPS tank? I ran Zeovit. 

Like I mentioned in my previous post, I doubled my EasySPS gel dosage amount to get a better NO3/PO4 ratio. 

Effectively feeding SPS is nuanced. I've found that many don't work for me or bring on negative consequences. That's how I got to EasyReef's phytoplankton suspension. I wish I could say I noticed results with e.g. Acropower. 

Depending on what I see, I'll bring back Coral Vitalizer or try out PolypBooster. 

I'm trying to keep supplements/feeding as automated as I can. 

TheKleinReef
14 minutes ago, Spencer7 said:

Correct, you remember my old ~40g SPS tank? I ran Zeovit. 

Like I mentioned in my previous post, I doubled my EasySPS gel dosage amount to get a better NO3/PO4 ratio. 

Effectively feeding SPS is nuanced. I've found that many don't work for me or bring on negative consequences. That's how I got to EasyReef's phytoplankton suspension. I wish I could say I noticed results with e.g. Acropower. 

Depending on what I see, I'll bring back Coral Vitalizer or try out PolypBooster. 

I'm trying to keep supplements/feeding as automated as I can. 

when i ran my 75 as an ULNS the only things that i noticed worked were heavy fish feeding, CV, KZ AA concentrate and AA LPS. Anything else was kinda mid/no effect. TBH I hated running at as an ULNS. I feel like I have less algae, better color, and better growth at my 5-10ppm N and 0.06 P04.

I do think the "ULNS" name is too attached to "ultra low nutrition system" which isn't the case and can lead to more problems if not balanced correctly.

• Agree 1
On 8/25/2023 at 12:49 PM, TheKleinReef said:

when i ran my 75 as an ULNS the only things that i noticed worked were heavy fish feeding, CV, KZ AA concentrate and AA LPS. Anything else was kinda mid/no effect. TBH I hated running at as an ULNS. I feel like I have less algae, better color, and better growth at my 5-10ppm N and 0.06 P04.

I do think the "ULNS" name is too attached to "ultra low nutrition system" which isn't the case and can lead to more problems if not balanced correctly.

I'll just clarify that I'm not attached to the ULS/ULNS label. That was not a goal or vision for the tank and I haven't been trying to chase numbers.

The low nutrient state of the tank is for my convenience and comes from my current lifestyle/preference. I understand it can be more stressful for the corals and you walk a risky line. I do not advocate for anyone to attempt to mimic my chemistry.

When I have a 100+ gal tank in the future, it will be stocked with more fish with "actual" (frozen food) feedings etc. I really look forward to having a tank over 75 gallons. 

The fundamental inspiration for this tank was the bonsai scape, which basically leaves no wasted rock surface. The structure is able to be moved as one piece and it is very light. While I make up for surface area in the sump, this doesn't provide structure for fish in the display. Combined with bright lights, intense flow, and a PhD schedule away from the tank, it is not a fish-friendly box of water. Especially if I just want to stick with the convenience of flake food (and be able to travel with minimal fish-sitting visits). 

That's why the nutrients are where they are. I haven't been tuning them to be this low. Just how this setup leans with lightly feeding just two small fish. My Hannah Checkers basically zero out any time I check haha. With the ICP results, things being stable and algae not being an issue, I will look to increase the levels to something a little more healthy for the corals. Without compromising the convenience I enjoy currently. 😃

• Like 1
1 hour ago, TheKleinReef said:

Sounds like more work 😅

good luck!

Pinch of flake 1-2 times a day and a 5 gallon WC every ~3 weeks...I think that's pretty easy-going for an all-acro tank. 

TheKleinReef

Plus all the testing you had to do. 

if it’s ease of maintaining your after, a lower nutrient system IME is harder. Since I got my levels up I’m doing so much less work. Less water changes, less cleaning, less coral foods. 

interested to see if you find that sweet spot though. I definitely think it’s doable. 

On 8/27/2023 at 10:15 AM, TheKleinReef said:

Plus all the testing you had to do. 

if it’s ease of maintaining your after, a lower nutrient system IME is harder. Since I got my levels up I’m doing so much less work. Less water changes, less cleaning, less coral foods. 

interested to see if you find that sweet spot though. I definitely think it’s doable. 

What is all the testing did I "have to do"? 

I've done four ICPs for fun in three years. Recently, I wanted to see what Fauna Marin's process was like. Data is fun. I'm a scientist.

I use my HannahCheckers to test a few parameters (Ca/Alk/PO4/NO3) about once a month. Although, May 22nd was the last I checked NO3/PO4. I check Mg once in a blue room. After seeing the FM results, I tested pH a three times because I'm curious to see the before/after values of adding a scrubber. Most SPS reefers are running an expensive controller and pH probe.

I don't think anyone would say that level of testing is anal. I think that's a fairly responsible, normal amount. With my old Zeovit, I would test every two weeks but that's because I worked at an aquarium store. 

"Less water changes, less cleaning, less coral foods."

For me...

WCs: 5 gallons (~15%) every 3-4 weeks 

Cleaning: Just film on the glass, use a magnet when I want to take a pic, blenny eats otherwise

Coral foods: I use one and am just increasing the dosage a bit now

Supplements: None at the moment. I might try KZ's trace elements complex. 

Next step down would be no food and no water changes...

The coral food I use is automatically dosed. You're defrosting frozen food and adding more things manually than I am! 

Is it really that hard for you to believe that I have a "low effort", low nutrient system? I feel like it's pretty darn straight forward to understand considering I have two small fish. Or you just don't think I can be successful + low nutrient + low maintenance? 

TheKleinReef

Chill bruh. 

On 8/27/2023 at 8:15 AM, TheKleinReef said:

In cases you missed this ^

im just comparing what you’re doing to what I’m doing (which all i realistically can do).

but yes that part is true. I don’t believe a true low maintenance system exists when sps are involved without certain testing and automation of crucial tasks.

Not for you, me, or anyone else.

On 8/28/2023 at 10:30 AM, TheKleinReef said:

im just comparing what you’re doing to what I’m doing (which all i realistically can do).

but yes that part is true. I don’t believe a true low maintenance system exists when sps are involved without certain testing and automation of crucial tasks.

Sure, I was never talking about thriving SPS growth without some level of automation (like the doser I run or the Trident system you have). It was more about the feasibility of effectively automating the addition of nutrients for acropora in a tank with negligible fish waste, with equal or less headache than the 'high in, high out' -style of reefing. (what I'm calling, more fish, more feeding, better export)

We'll see! I learn new things with every tank and always end up with ideas/preferences for the next system. Like I mentioned earlier, I look forward to having a 120+ gal tank in the future where I can finally keep some nice fish. I wouldn't waste that volume by having no fish. This approach is definitely more relevant for the <40 gal weight class of tanks that may have an unfriendly footprint for livestock or for someone doesn't want to deal with fish care. 

Yea, the timeline/moves/resets of our tanks line up pretty well. Frankly, we just both need to avoid traumatic events. Your Apex A3 will help there + stability of a larger tank. Good luck! 

• Like 1

To-List

• Add the CO2 scrubber, adjust skimmer to 12hr night cycle 
  • ATO reservoir stand
  • Doser stand/shelf
  • Organize electronics 
  • Test Ca/Alk, adjust dose
  • Set up trace elements maybe? (before/after pics) 
  • Add a DIY sump cover 
  • Order more salt

After these chores, I'll maybe get some new frags.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey I remember this tank. I have been out of the hobby but I do remember loving your branch scape. Green monti really pops. We gotta get you some more frags! 

How do you like the GHL Mitras? Im running the 7 on my new system. Hate the app, but its such a sexy light. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/8/2023 at 5:55 PM, Elizabeth94 said:

Hey I remember this tank. I have been out of the hobby but I do remember loving your branch scape. Green monti really pops. We gotta get you some more frags! 

How do you like the GHL Mitras? Im running the 7 on my new system. Hate the app, but its such a sexy light. 

Send 'em over! haha 

I think the Mitras have been a good light. I agree the app is kind of lame. I've had a hard time connecting to it so I've actually gone the hardwire route. If the connectivity and app we're a bit better, I think I would play with the settings more.

I don't think I'm lacking light, that's for sure. I think I might turn the Mitras down a bit. Just because it's a low-nutrient tank and I have more encrustation than upwards growth. 

They should realistically be mounted higher for this tank. I tried to pick a happy medium for my T5's. I think my custom bracket sits them ~7" above the water? 

• Like 2

FTS from Saturday when I spilled some radioactive GOO into the tank! Oopsies! 

I really need to turn down my lights...a couple corals are growing downwards (see orange anacropora). 

Tank FTS 2 (9-23-23) .jpg

Tank FTS (9-23-23).jpg

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

Do I even wanna know how yoy manages that one lol,you doing alright though ? 

That glass box is looking good man,I am loving the amount of updates lately !!! 

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Reefkid88 said:

Do I even wanna know how yoy manages that one lol,you doing alright though ? 

That glass box is looking good man,I am loving the amount of updates lately !!! 

Ultimate frisbee tournament over in Delaware! MRI today for my knee, follow-up ortho tomorrow. 

I feel better once I know I don't need surgery and my ACL is okay!

• Wow 1

Alk: 8.2 dKH

Ca: 360-370 ppm (6x 1.2mL --> 6x 2mL) 

Doing a 5 gal WC. Bumped up Ca dosage. 

Dosing 5mL Red Sea AB+ a day. KZ trace elements ~twice a week. 

EasySPS gel here and there (manually). Need to plug in a new pack to the doser.

• Like 1

"To-Do List

• Add the CO2 scrubber, adjust skimmer to 2-10am cycle 
  • ATO reservoir stand 
  • Doser stand/shelf 
  • Organize electronics ⬅️
  • Test Ca/Alk, adjust dose 
  • Set up trace elements maybe? (before/after pics) 
  • Add a DIY sump cover ⬅️
  • Order more salt 

After these chores, I'll maybe get some new frags."

Well, I think I'll dose trace elements manually and maybe auto-dose Coral AB+. I also want to find my connection cord for the Mitras to lower the light intensity a bit. 

Blenny.jpg

• Like 3