inTank Media Baskets

45 minutes ago, Tired said:

Scarlet reefs seem to be a lot more chill than other hermits, and should generally not be kept with other hermits, as they'll get bullied. The one downside is that they prefer those really heavy shells, and as such are more annoying to corals and more able to upend small objects they climb on. You also have to find a source of ugly, heavy shells. 

Everything looks so chill. Do you have a video anywhere? There must be some nice motion in that tank. 

Thanks, here's my current list of YouTube videos.  I'll add another YT video soon with a better visual of all the flow and motion going on.

I'll have to add heavy shells to my list of things to buy the next time I get to the LFS to buy more Red Scarlet Hermit Crabs for my tank.  I'm thinking of getting 2 small, 2 medium, 1 large hermit crabs if they have them in stock.  The hermit crabs I got now sort of fit the medium size.

• Like 2
On 8/9/2021 at 5:27 PM, Seadragon said:

On the previous page, @Ratvan gave a link which included the infamous Clavularia.  I didn’t realize it at the time, but that may be one of the final items on my bucket list for this tank.  I want one final coral that will add a pop of neon orange (& more neon green, bonus!) and pizazz to my tank, something like:

E2DE0741-3FDA-43BD-97B2-43AEF75E7009.thumb.jpeg.3554ae83f3978811d7ff3b6a43f34dbf.jpeg

I’ll have to keep an eye out for that coral over the next few months/years… but for now, I just came back from the LFS and I’m acclimating a few last goodies for the time being.  I’ll take pictures tonight/tomorrow.

I really hope you are able to get ahold of this coral soon.  I'd really love to see how it looks in your tank!  Your color scheme is pretty similar to what I'm going for.

• Like 2

Peace in our Hearts and the Finishing Touches

Our nano reef will turn 2 years old next month.  For the past 5 years, my life has been a storm.  There were times where it was very chaotic and other times not as bad, but there was always a dark cloud up in the air.  For these past couple years, this community and my experience with owning a reef tank has helped bring some peace to my life where it was sorely needed.  So, thank you for following along and communicating with me along the way.  I created the following video today to capture a tiny bit of that peace that my tank brings me each and every day.

On 8/11/2021 at 3:02 PM, Tired said:

Everything looks so chill. Do you have a video anywhere? There must be some nice motion in that tank.

And, I created the following video two days ago just for @Tired. 🙂

The other day, we were able to catch Blenny after he tired out from being chased by Alpha Blenny.  I'm happy that we were able to rescue him and donate him to a loving family when visiting one of my favorite local fish stores in my area.

081321_farewellB.thumb.jpg.b164942ac37554e6d150953a8aa7af80.jpg

I got extremely lucky to catch Blenny, now my tank really is Peaceful!

081321_gaspingAB.thumb.jpg.576e364e3a856d71a88764a76ea06c83.jpg

Alpha Blenny looks surprised.

Yesterday, I received some bad news in my life, but I wasn't going to let that get me down.  Afterwards, my wife and I purchased a few things that we always wanted to get.  I went to the large LFS that is almost an hour away from where I live and got some finishing touches for the tank (outside of the 2 Fireworks frags that I want to get eventually).

We got an additional 4 Scarlet Red Hermit Crabs (bringing the total up to 6 now).  I asked the LFS if I could have some extra empty shells for the hermit crabs and he gave me some Stocky Cerith shells for free. Surprisingly, one of them contained a live Stocky Cerith snail!

So we got an additional 2 Cerith snails and 2 Stocky Cerith snails (which includes the freebie 😉 ).  The reef tank already had 1 Stocky Cerith snail previously that somehow survived the Era of the Blue Leg & Zebra Hermit crabs (I had quite a few Cerith snails before, but most of them were killed by the aggressive hermit crabs).  And we got one additional baby Purple Porcelain Crab that the LFS employee found hiding in a few tanks down from the tank it was supposed to be in.

081321_8shells.thumb.jpg.0ba91bd4764ed70f847ecbe5854ecb4c.jpg

The left 4 shells are the Scarlet Red Hermit Crabs and the right 4 are the Cerith & Stocky Cerith snails.

081321_4scarlets.thumb.jpg.2019870094d14ca8c7c97eb6e80810b1.jpg

081321_2scarlets.thumb.jpg.2b1d5708328051477844437e8c4f4386.jpg

081321_scarlet.thumb.jpg.33e5f3397791346e5b42d658c09b5e77.jpg

081321_tinyPorcelain.thumb.jpg.3d2f49b400157341cb10a59d193762e6.jpg

The new baby Purple Porcelain Crab.  He's about half the size of the other 2, but still has both of his claws though!

My tank is pretty well stocked now.  Just waiting for some Fireworks!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Tidal and Future Timeline

Eight months ago, I decided I needed better filtration for my tank and went with a basic HOB filter, the AquaClear 20.  This HOB filter did what I needed it to do, but in the past week or so, it just seemed to be underperforming and I wanted something a bit better in the back of my mind, not knowing that something actually existed.  And then recently, I came across a cool-looking HOB filter on YouTube, the likes of one that I have never seen before.  The amazing Tidal 35.  The more I researched it, watched video reviews by hobbyists and LFS, and read about it on forums, the more I fell in love with it.  It had everything I wanted and it had a surface skimmer, an item that I was interested in so that I could put away the paper towels going forward.  And the maintenance alert feature is pretty nifty as well.

081621_Tidal35box.thumb.jpg.6971553e667c65074bbd90f294b8d41c.jpg

And as I was watching those video reviews, I came across a few different people mentioning that they buy the very cheap 100% Polyester Batting from regular retail stores when it goes on sale instead of buying the more expensive filter floss from aquatic retailers.  And it just so happened, Joann was having a 50% off sale on 100% Polyester Batting, so I picked myself up 4 yards at $2.99/yd! 🙂

081621_Tidal35innards.thumb.jpg.7d683166756cf15dee617130462d7538.jpg

I'm going to sandwich the 100% Polyester Batting in-between the Foam Filter inserts.

081621_TopTidal35inside.thumb.jpg.77436cfda3384b5b7048246ea886b940.jpg

Looks like I still have more space in case I want to add a bag of carbon to the mix one day.

081621_TopTidal35.thumb.jpg.a8e88bf974114749db0533eda096f9ab.jpg

I'm currently running it on maximum flow, it's pretty sweet.

081621_TopView.thumb.jpg.2ed5c6a0a75c9bb9376081d067ed2f40.jpg

081621_FTS.thumb.jpg.bd56f88d3cec9a812f2301eb318031d0.jpg

If you have any suggestions on any of the frag placement on the back wall or the foreground, let me know, I'm always interested in improving the look.

Future Timeline:

• I'm expecting the Fireworks frags to arrive sometime between Wednesday - Friday this week!  I'll be posting pictures probably Thursday - Saturday depending.
  • In the next few weeks, I'll probably be buying the Red Sea Salt (Blue bucket) and mixing my own saltwater going forward.  If you use the Red Sea Salt (Blue bucket) or have any experience with it, let me know.
  • In the next few years, I'll probably be buying a Red Sea aquarium of some kind, my wife and I keep debating on what I should get as my "End Game tank".  I sort of want the Red Sea REEFER XL 200 and she wants something much smaller and manageable and closer to 20 gallons.  So, we might be looking at a MAX NANO vs REEFER NANO.  Which of these 2 do you think is the best and why?

And just when I thought there was nothing else I could possibly buy for the nano reef tank, I ended up getting a new HOB filter and probably the Red Sea Salt in the near future.  Is there anything else you can think of that would be a good addition or upgrade for this tank?

• Like 3
awakedॢ
On 8/13/2021 at 11:11 PM, Seadragon said:

081321_gaspingAB.thumb.jpg.576e364e3a856d71a88764a76ea06c83.jpg

Alpha Blenny looks surprised.

p.s oops~ sry,,,I’m not good at “Quote”,,,so happened like this,,,sry,,,🙏🏻🤣

There's lots of algae in that tank. Look at the coraline encrusted all over the filtration area, and the mottled color of the rocks. There just isn't any algae on the shells yet, and not much on the walls. 

No algae is a bad thing. If a tank can't support algae, it can't support corals. 

I"m curious to see if this tank winds up a ball of xenia or what. It's neat-looking stuff, you've kinda got me wanting some. Even though that's probably not a great idea in a pico tank. 

• Thanks 1
23 hours ago, Tired said:

I"m curious to see if this tank winds up a ball of xenia or what.

It would if I didn't take care of the tank, but I have a few guidelines that I follow to make sure that never happens and that my final vision is achieved.

1. The GSP is not allowed to grow too close to my main rockwork, too far onto the glass on the right side, or too close to the Frogspawn coral.  If it does, I will trim and remove it from the tank.  Everywhere else in its designated section of the back wall is free game.
  2. The Pulsing Xenia is allowed to grow everywhere except above or in any way shading the current Hammer, Frogspawn, and Fireworks Clove Polyps corals.
    1. Any future growth of the Xenia is not allowed to cover any of the expensive corals listed above.  If it does, the intruding piece will either be moved to a different area of the tank or removed from the tank altogether.
    2. However, future growth of the Fireworks Clove Polyps are allowed to be shaded by the Xenia as long as the Fireworks moved into the Xenia territory purposely, not the other way around.

By following that game plan, I'm keeping the GSP and the Pulsing Xenia under control while allowing the full vibrant colors to show from the other corals.

I'll be taking pictures of the tank in a few days once the Fireworks corals are happy and fully open.  I've been repositioning them in accordance to my guidelines above to give them the best possible chance of growing faster and without interference from the Xenia.

Cute video while we wait for the next update:

• Like 2
On 6/28/2021 at 12:51 AM, Seadragon said:

Returning Back to What I Fell in Love With

Goby was still for sale at the LFS.  AND there was a Tailspot Blenny for sale at the other LFS.  After Bicolor Blenny attacked my new Turbo snail and knocked it off the rock twice, that was the last straw.  I removed the Bicolor Blenny, bought the Tailspot Blenny (which looks like a younger version of my original Blenny (TSB), so I'll call it Blenny Jr).  And I traded the Bicolor Blenny for my original Goby (YWG) which I had for like 1 year 7 months before I gave it up to the LFS.  My family is happy to have the whole gang back!

In the Beginning...

When I first started this nano reef tank, there was the original Nemo, Marlin, Goby, and Blenny.

Altogether01.jpg.49f07c9e7bf423add16e63fd652b4c4b.jpg

• Almost 2 months ago, I felt the uncontrollable desire to return back to what I once had. 
  • 3 weeks ago, I added Alpha Blenny and Blenny to the tank.  I later removed & donated Blenny.
  • Yesterday morning, I noticed Stripes has gone missing.  I checked and searched everywhere, but no dried up corpse could be found.

Here are some of the last pictures I've taken of Stripebefore his disappearance.

081621_3.thumb.jpg.4872430f9cb16155d4edc591c530f929.jpg

081621_3b.thumb.jpg.3f836df4600b29bf48ccc35b53a2d560.jpg

• Last night, I remembered my vow in June and decided it is time.

I went to the LFS an hour before they were about to close and was about to buy either an Ocellaris clownfish or a Black & White Ocellaris clownfish, but one that was smaller than Nemo.  I decided on the Black & White Ocellaris clownfish (nicknamed Lil Ninja) because I've had bad luck with 3 regular Ocellaris clownfish prior that Nemo ended up killing.  Makes me think Nemo thought they were competition.  Here's what happened when I added Lil Ninja to my tank...

I will create another post later with additional pictures of the gang and a sneak preview of the Fireworkcorals that are just starting to open up!

• Like 1

Fireworks and the Battle of the Pests

As you may already know, I had an issue with one of my new Fireworks frags when they first arrived.  Frag #1 had an infestation of what looked like Blue Clove Polyps and at least 1 Aiptasia.  Initially, the only thing I noticed was the Aiptasia and I was on a mission -- I had to kill or remove that Aiptasia at all costs.  So I grabbed a syringe and some lemon juice and went to work.  I turned off the pumps and gave the Aiptasia a good squirt -- it quickly retreated between the Fireworks coral and the frag plug.  I gave it another squirt for good measure and let the cloud of death linger for a few more seconds until Shrimpy started approaching the lemon juice and then I turned back on the pumps.

Well, that Aiptasia came back half injured and pissed.  And then I noticed all of these tiny little purple polyps on the frag and quickly took pictures and posted on the ID sub-forum.  It appears we got Blue Clove Polyps all over the frag plug as well.  Weighing my different options, I decided to remove the frag plug and slowly & carefully peel off the Fireworks coral hoping that I leave all of the Blue Clove Polyps and Aiptasia behind.  I ended up peeling off a big chunk and a tiny piece of coral.  Over the course of the next day or so, I tried different positions for these 2 pieces and they weren't staying put where I wanted them to be.

I ended up getting a brand-new frag plug and used a rubber band to tie down the big chunk of Fireworkto the new frag plug.  I then took the 2nd tiny piece and put that into a hole on the side of the rockwork and weighed that down with another small rock.  It's been a couple days now and although Frag #2 has been opening up fine the second day I've had it in the tank, the remnants from Frag #1 are quite upset or injured due to the exposure to the lemon juice on the first day.  I don't think I killed it (hopefully not!), but it may take some time to heal?  Take a look at the pictures and tell me if you think it'll bounce back eventually or if it's a goner.

We'll start with Frag #2:

082121_1.thumb.jpg.180d7bd79f285fee4056b611819e355e.jpg

082121_3.thumb.jpg.6e5fa465ae046dc62d29e30b35000817.jpg

It looks so stunning that I think I'm going to have to do everything in my power to help this coral grow as fast and as big as possible!

082121_fireworks1.thumb.jpg.c1c375c840c3dce99432e712751ea2a7.jpg

And now the 2 pieces from Frag #1:

082121_4.thumb.jpg.86a9663750e444570ad2145d0c82f1eb.jpg

082121_6.thumb.jpg.0d5e1ce6cf5abf1285299679c1981882.jpg

I ordered some frag plug stands that may be arriving in the next week or so, so that the new frag shown above doesn't lay so low in the sand.  It can easily get moved or covered in bits of sand in its current position.

082121_5.thumb.jpg.d2d42f59f3df9107803cb45f3c97e464.jpg

082121_8.thumb.jpg.5192b7d58549f13535c13f805edaed93.jpg

So there you have it, it doesn't look completely dead, but it does seem to be unhappy from the experience it had with the lemon juice and the removal from its original frag plug.

Let's see how Lil Ninja is doing...

IMG_7585.thumb.jpg.26702264a94d34b3838cfc9eb015bc5d.jpg

IMG_7624.thumb.jpg.12403003cefa38bd6cce8953028b07e2.jpg

IMG_7627.thumb.jpg.46a4e32c014487e58dcab6898ce55d2b.jpg

IMG_7655.thumb.jpg.7453130dad04860b73cf935f440588d4.jpg

My new Red Sea Salt (Blue bucket) arrived already, I'll be using that next weekend.  I'm planning on doing 3 gallon water changes every other week.

After I start using the Red Sea Salt, there may be an opportunity to buy a Duncan coral and place it at the top right area of the rockwork.  Do you think a Duncan coral is worth getting or just stick with what I got?

• Like 3
5 hours ago, Tired said:

I hate to give you another pest to remove, but that frag that still has the plug attached has bubble algae on it. You'll want to scrape that off. 

Thanks for mentioning that!  I also noticed the BA on the 2nd frag, but unfortunately back on 1/25/2020 I acquired a Red Blastomussa that first introduced BA to my tank and even after all of the manual cleaning trying to get rid of any visible BA on that frag, and also purchasing an Emerald crab to assist around that time, somehow the BA was able to reintroduce itself and spread throughout my tank, albeit in relatively small amounts.

On 1/25/2020 at 11:34 AM, Seadragon said:

I'm noticing a few new heads on my Red Blastomussa finally!

Ray_Day137-3.thumb.JPG.4f8e5db4cbb7d63aba061f70fc049266.JPG

Still even today, some of that original BA still haunts my old circulation pumps.  I think of BA as the lesser of two evils and decided long ago that I have no problems coexisting with BA and GHA in small amounts.

But, there are some pests that I will absolutely go bonkers over and kill them no-matter-what.  That includes Aiptasia (since they can cause harm to other corals and fish, while BA and GHA are relatively harmless and might even have the benefit of consuming nitrates & phosphates), Blue Clove Polyps, and bristle worms.

• Like 2

My prior tank had bubble algae, but it never really went out of control, there was just some of it around. It's not nearly as much of a pest as some people seem to think, but for the types who don't want any visible algae, it's a pain. 

Bristleworms, though? Those guys are beneficial. Fireworms are the coral-eaters. Bristleworms are harmless, just creepy. 

• Like 3
9 minutes ago, Tired said:

Bristleworms are harmless, just creepy.

Small bristleworms are relatively harmless, but can probably multiply like crazy if there was a food source.

When they get larger, they can harm/sting human hands that are not covered and most likely nosey fish as well.  Here’s an example of someone who got stung:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/whoever-said-bristle-worms-are-harmless-never-got-stung-like-this.401392/

I have lots of spaghetti worms and a large variety of CUC in the tank to help with clean-up.  I just don’t want to deal with large bristleworms later down the road.

You shouldn't have bare hands anywhere a bristleworm can sting. Bacteria on the rocks are a much bigger concern- you can get some awful infections from rocks in reef tanks. Far, far worse than just some bristles in your finger. I've been stung, and it's not that bad, it just hurts a bit. Mostly just annoying. Way less of a concern than some of the infections you can get from ocean-related bacteria. 

They don't generally sting healthy fish, since a fish has to shove pretty hard into them to get stung. I had a watchman goby in my prior tank who'd eat the small ones, and he was perfectly fine. 

They shouldn't multiply a ton unless you have a lot of available food, and tend to stay pretty small unless really well fed. Small ones can sting, anyway, it's not a matter of size. 

Lesson Learned: Don't Squirt Lemon Juice on or near Corals, especially the delicate ones!

On 8/21/2021 at 11:04 AM, Seadragon said:

I ended up peeling off a big chunk and a tiny piece of coral.

I used lemon juice long ago to assist in taking care of some Aiptasia that was found on my rockwork along with my tweezers and a siphon/coral feeder to remove the remnants without any issue.  This time, I was eager to do the same routine, however I didn't even think of the ramifications of what would happen if something as delicate as Fireworks Clove Polyps were in the vicinity of where the lemon juice was squirted.  I say delicate because not only have I read about other hobbyists on other forums that weren't able to keep Fireworks Clove Polyps alive in their tanks, I have a somewhat similar experience for when lemon juice is involved.

This morning, I checked Fireworks Frag #2 and it currently has 10 healthy polyps.  The "tiny piece of coral" that was lodged into the rockwork has since disintegrated and I removed the little rock that was placed on top of it and any remnants of it has vanished.  I did see some tiny creatures (either copepods or a baby brittle worm) moving about that area in the past night so they may have consumed it.  And when I checked the big chunk taken from Fireworks Frag #1, it has been looking the same for the past few days -- it looks like the lemon juice sucked out all of the "life force" from the Fireworks coral and left behind a shriveled up corpse.  The polyps no longer open, nor do they close all the way, they are like stuck in time, fused together, probably burned by the acidic lemon juice or worse.  My fading hope is that something new sprouts from the ashes, but for each passing day, it's looking less and less likely it'll sprout back to life.

So what is the silver lining in all of this?  For me to learn from this and to warn others not to squirt lemon juice or similar acidic solutions on or near Fireworks corals or any coral if possible.  It's a lot more deadly to corals than I ever thought.

What I hope to be my Last Purchase for this tank

I know I wanted the Fireworks Clove Polyps to be my last addition or even the Duncan coral, but after 1 of the 2 Fireworks frags died on me (there's still something there, but I kind of doubt it's going to come back at this point), I contacted the seller and mentioned my lemon juice incident with their Aiptasia pest and I was given a discount on my next order.  So, that's what I did.  Last Time.  There's no more space left in my tank for anything else!

What did I order?

• 2 x Fireworks Clove Polyps
  • 1 x Duncan Coral with 2 heads
  • 10 x Coral Frag Plug Stands (I only intend on using 7 at this time).

ClearFragSandStand.thumb.jpg.2c1fb804d16283c38d06e7d64bb3fb54.jpg

3 for the healthy Fireworks corals, 1 for the mummified Fireworks coral, 1 for the Duncan, 1 for the Hammer, 1 for the Xenia that I'll be moving to the back of the tank.

I'm expecting to have the new coral frags on Thursday.  I'll probably post pictures the days following that.  Who's excited?! 🙂

• Like 3

Chasing the Holy Grail

No, I'm not talking about some torch coral that can cost $1,100.  I'm talking about my own simplified approach to reefkeeping.  When I first started my nano reef journey, I was determined to not do water changes, but I did learn to buy the correct lighting and dosed 2 part.  I also tested the water parameters every week and made sure the Ca and Alk were within proper range.  I kept up the no water changes for a year and seven months.  And I got to meet Mr. Cyanobacteria and had a lot of inorganic dust within my sand, but at least my original Nemo & Goby survived!

And then, I got the reefing bug again and wanted to do a new experiment.  This time, I'm using a quality salt mix and doing routine water changes & siphoning the sand, but no testing* & no dosing.  I did my homework and found other hobbyists across the Internet that are doing the same thing.  We came to the conclusion that you won't be able to keep any corals that consume large amounts of calcium and other minerals & trace elements.  So, no SPS corals for me and it doesn't bother me one bit.  I also don't use carbon in my filtration, so no leathers or anything that releases toxins in the water for me.  Again, I'm good with that.  That leaves me with a mostly soft coral tank with a few LPS corals to "test the waters" so to speak to see if they survive or thrive in this environment.

I'm going all-in on doing weekly 2 gallon water changes using Red Sea Salt (blue bucket).  If you also don't dose or test, let me know, I'd like to hear who else is doing the same.

* I do test salinity which I keep at a stable 1.025 and I always make sure my water temperature is about 75°F.

Barnacle babies?

I just noticed this tonight after doing a 2 gallon water change using the new Red Sea Salt. I wonder if the new salt mix triggered a spawning?

735D0F05-0ED7-42E2-A5A8-DFA11E01D953.thumb.jpeg.a0aad05dadbd42fc9efdd9995820c173.jpeg

E61B2F5F-5D3F-4781-A4D8-4A8E523C726D.thumb.jpeg.baba6c779793cd790816dbc7a3ab28b8.jpeg
FE4F427F-D5FC-495B-AD5D-7803E9B1EB74.thumb.jpeg.f7cfb7814568985a50e078d280c40747.jpeg

8F1CBE1A-A132-4AB8-A19D-CDB8B02A05C3.thumb.jpeg.ed0cfa5cb9787757d6a0f1d1f01b16d1.jpeg

And if they are eggs, would having a bunch of baby barnacles around the tank be cool?

• Like 3

Unfortunately, if those are eggs, they're probably not going to be fertile. A lot of barnacles practice internal fertilization, meaning another barnacle has to be within physical reach to mate, rather than the broadcast spawning method of releasing gametes and hoping for the best. That also... kinda looks like the barnacle is melting out, not necessarily like eggs.

Sneak Peek!

I just acclimated & added my new corals and they’re just starting to open up.  I wanted to give a sneak peek before the Coral Frag Plug Stands arrive tomorrow & Monday.

I forgot just how bright & lovely Duncan corals look! 🙂

471CB246-6DC3-4D39-8A4C-13B6EC293FFF.thumb.jpeg.ddcaf06c2bb63bc61d13a4dcc183c154.jpeg

319C1FB4-5A05-4266-8A79-875766CF4F52.thumb.jpeg.88b7fca2650c306f4782b7178e50598f.jpeg

29EB4F06-FA7C-4557-B2CB-7315FE82ECA2.thumb.jpeg.d65b7282d1fda904a70582bb25dc2953.jpeg

3B2286B1-C922-4A78-8056-28B598366A49.thumb.jpeg.13e049896e81e82396ee0f4c8dc31b2d.jpeg

Oh, and the live barnacle on the Hammer is still alive and kicking — it’s fanning as I write this, but the “eggs” have disappeared.  I say “eggs” because they looked like tiny little individual eggs when you look at them in real life and some were drifting away last night.

• Like 2

Coral Frag Plug Stands and Cutting the Hammer

A few items I ordered arrived today:

• 5 x Coral Frag Plug Stands
  • 7.5" heavy duty coral cutters
  • 2 x Gorilla Super Glue Gel XL
  • Foam Paint Brushes

I also ordered some Turquoise Blue Crayola Washable Tempera Paint that should be arriving within a week or so.

In case you're wondering, a family member remarked recently that my tank would look better with a background rather than just seeing the wall behind it.  Because I am using multiple single magnetic frag racks on the back wall and I don't like tacky backgrounds, I decided on getting some Turquoise Blue Crayola Washable Tempera Paint and use foam paint brushes to color the outside back of my tank a soothing turquoise blue color.  What do you think?

So 5 of the coral frag plug stands arrived.  My mission today was to not only glue the 3 Fireworks frags, the Duncan frag, and the Hammer frag to each of the stands, but to also cut the Hammer coral so that the head is pointed straight up and we will have a good view of the live Barnacle without the Hammer head itself pointed to the right if I didn't cut it.  I was able to glue each of the frags, but when I got to the Duncan coral, the frag plug attached to the Duncan coral had imperfections on it so it didn't allow me to push the frag plug all the way down the stand.  I actually think it turned out even better this way due to how far one of the Duncan heads is leaning over.  It's good to give it some extra space from the sandbed so that the Duncan tentacles don't touch the sand as easily.

082721_3.thumb.jpg.fe2d1d0de84a15de4d22291314d9a87d.jpg

And then we get to the cutting of the Hammer coral to straighten it out.  I used the new coral cutters and was able to easily detach the Hammer from the old frag plug, but when I used the cutters to cut and straighten out the base of the Hammer, it did cut it, but it also somehow crushed a small part of it which is really disturbing to me.  I added a good amount of Gorilla Super Glue Gel to the top of the new frag plug and also some to the bottom of the newly cut Hammer.  When I put the Hammer attached to the stand into the tank, I was hoping I didn't kill the Hammer somehow when I crushed part of the base.  Hopefully it doesn't get an infection.

082721_5.thumb.jpg.915d7d8f6be5e419252376f5d08277fc.jpg

082721_2.thumb.jpg.18f00cf748268b53d5017b627df3237b.jpg

It may take some time for the corals to open up after being taken out to be glued to the new stands.  Overall, I think it was worth it, do you like how it looks now?

082721_4.thumb.jpg.d2449a96faae263e1cf07e7e4773befc.jpg

082721_1.thumb.jpg.4d5820e9a9f7cb48e434b39ea7bf5a38.jpg

Stay tuned next week for the painting of the wall, from clear to turquoise blue.  Worth it?

• Like 2
Critteraholic

If you're not sure you want to put something on the back (I do and I don't), get pieces of paper or a towel, etc...  and hang it on the back to get an idea of what it will look like. In the past (freshwater) I've used things like wrapping paper, scrap book paper, fish netting, and those plastic tank backgrounds.  I still have on the back of my 10g a mirror that my father cut for me to put on the back when I was a kid.  Ultimately, it's your tank. So pick what you want to see. Heck, you could change it every week if you wanted! 😄 Have fun!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

One man's trash is another man's treasure

I was in a situation today where I had to drop off my wife to her school and she requested that I stay in the area.  Fortunately there's a LFS nearby, but unfortunately they're known to be way overpriced.  My wife ended up taking a couple hours so I'm glad I spent some of that time at the LFS.

I browsed the LFS and after a long period of time, I eventually noticed a hidden frag laying on the substrate that was below the frag racks in a dirty tank.  Just to give you an idea of the tank conditions, there was polyp bailout on two of the corals in that tank.  The discarded frag had a few Clove Polyps on it with at least one or two that showed promise and some neon colors.  I found an employee and offered $10 for it.  He countered and said he cannot go any lower than $14.99.  He also mentioned there were different Clove Polyps in the tank before with all sorts of bright colors.  I figured $14.99 wasn't too bad and the dirty disc had at least 6 polyps on it according to him so why not.

I took it home, acclimated it, shook it in some FW for like 10-20 seconds, then swirled it in a small container with PolypLab Reef Primer Shot Coral Dip already mixed in.  In both the FW and Reef Primer containers, I could see little pests flying out, what looked like a baby bristleworm in the FW container and at least two of them in the Reef Primer one.  Happy with the results, I placed the frag in my display tank front and center for now.  I then grabbed both of my Turbo snails and let them get to work.  Only one stayed though and he's doing a good job getting rid of the filthy algae that is on the disc.

08282021_3.thumb.jpg.3328efe2a2a09673a6072bc7816167ab.jpg

You can see the nasty algae on the left and where the Turbo snail cleaned it up on the right.

08282021_2.thumb.jpg.4557508399e1034e35ccaf3a9d6bd543.jpg

08282021_1.thumb.jpg.02dda841f1adf476fc38c6d72a889ffa.jpg

For $15 + tax and the chance to score some colorful Clove Polyps doesn't sound too bad to me.  If I get anything decent, at least it'll add variety to the already colorful Fireworks Clove Polyps.

• Like 4