Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Justin's 10 gal. Nano cube

justinkdenny

justinkdenny

Haven't added to my journal in a while so here goes.  First after multiply tries, I have no luck with SPS.  Not even the easy ones.  They look good for a while and then die off.  I thought it was high phosphates that was the culprit but I reduced those and added more and they still died.  Now I have low phosphates and nitrates so maybe that's the problem. Who knows.  Also, my zoas don't do great in this tank and look great for a while, then start to multiply, then melt.  Low nitrates maybe? Well I can sure grow GSP and mushrooms! LOL  

• Like 1
Christopher Marks

Wow @justinkdenny, it's amazing! Such a great mushroom collection!

I know it can be frustrating to lose some coral, but the mixed reefs we create are kind of defying nature, it's tough to keep such a diverse selection of coral types happy in one small space. Leaning into what is growing well is best, this is an awesome soft coral and LPS tank. I think you may be onto something with your suspicion about the low nitrates. Zoanthids seem to prefer having nitrates available, and I think the same is true for mushroom corals too.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
justinkdenny
49 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

Wow @justinkdenny, it's amazing! Such a great mushroom collection!

I know it can be frustrating to lose some coral, but the mixed reefs we create are kind of defying nature, it's tough to keep such a diverse selection of coral types happy in one small space. Leaning into what is growing well is best, this is an awesome soft coral and LPS tank. I think you may be onto something with your suspicion about the low nitrates. Zoanthids seem to prefer having nitrates available, and I think the same is true for mushroom corals too.

@Christopher Marks With my parameters being pretty stable and in normal ranges, I have considered coral warfare a problem.  Also an ICP test shows everything is good except it showed low potassium which I don't have a test kit for.  That could be an issue too.  You are right though,  I love mushrooms and have decided to keep what thrives in this tank.  I am trying to figure out something for the very top of the scape though. Maybe more mushrooms! LOL

• Like 1
  • 6 months later...
justinkdenny
16 hours ago, NatureGuy said:

I just finished reading your journal. It's looking amazing, such a colorful tank!

Thank you NatureGuy.  It has definitely been a journey with this tank but I have learned a lot in the almost 3 years. 

• Like 2