Top Shelf Aquatics

Justin's 10 gal. Nano cube

justinkdenny

• 3 weeks later...
justinkdenny

Well, things have taken a turn for the worse.  My corals dont seem to have good polyp extension and look like they might be bleaching and I have developed some sort of brown algae.  I've never seen it before and I had a 75 gallon for years.  I bought 2 nassarius snails 2 astra snails and a red hermit to help with bloom and they are worthless.  Haven't seen nassarius since and red hermit just sits there.  He is alive but literally never moves.  When I use to add cleanup crews to my 75, they were workhorses.  Tank parameters seem stable phosphates and nitrates are low so I'm not sure what's causing the problems.   Funny thing is,  chalice is making new mouths daily and my zoas which don't have good polyp extension are starting to add a new polyp.  I guess I'll just keep on grinding with water changes and slowly keep dialing my lights back down.  Sorry for the long post.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, justinkdenny said:

Well, things have taken a turn for the worse.  My corals dont seem to have good polyp extension and look like they might be bleaching and I have developed some sort of brown algae.  I've never seen it before and I had a 75 gallon for years.  I bought 2 nassarius snails 2 astra snails and a red hermit to help with bloom and they are worthless.  Haven't seen nassarius since and red hermit just sits there.  He is alive but literally never moves.  When I use to add cleanup crews to my 75, they were workhorses.  Tank parameters seem stable phosphates and nitrates are low so I'm not sure what's causing the problems.   Funny thing is,  chalice is making new mouths daily and my zoas which don't have good polyp extension are starting to add a new polyp.  I guess I'll just keep on grinding with water changes and slowly keep dialing my lights back down.  Sorry for the long post.

Can you get a photo of the algae? 

justinkdenny

I can't get a very good pic.  The algea on the rock is brownish rust colored and it has strings on it.  The stringy stuff on the glass is white.

LRM_EXPORT_51103036010620_20190816_164807392.jpeg

LRM_EXPORT_51126535996652_20190816_164830892.jpeg

• Like 1
justinkdenny
On 7/27/2019 at 12:36 PM, billygoat said:

Nice frags you've got there! Good to see everything is going well. Do you have any plans to get more fish or are you going to stick with the single clown for now?

Sorry I forgot to reply to this.  I plan to add a tailspot blenny soon and maybe a royal gramma down the road as tank gets more stable.

• Like 2
justinkdenny

Picked up a few frags Saturday.   A nice colony of green zoas and created a green star polyp island.  I'll post pics when I get some decent ones.

6 minutes ago, justinkdenny said:

Ordered a sicce 1.0 return pump and a vca random flow nozzle to up the gph.  Its rated at 251gph.

Good choice. The sicce seems to be the pump of choice for a large number of reefers here on N-R. Seems to be very quiet and reliable.

Are you planning on adding a powerhead too or just relying on the random flow nozzle for water movement?

• Like 1
justinkdenny
1 hour ago, billygoat said:

Good choice. The sicce seems to be the pump of choice for a large number of reefers here on N-R. Seems to be very quiet and reliable.

Are you planning on adding a powerhead too or just relying on the random flow nozzle for water movement?

Going to try to rely on just the return pump.  If it's not enough, I'll just add a powerhead. 

• Like 1

I see that im not the only who like the tank to be next to the sofa 🙂

This reminds me when i first got the IM10. Excited for you.

Any auto-top up in the plan?

• Like 1
justinkdenny
2 hours ago, YzF said:

Planning on getting one of these.  Right now I top off in the morning before work, right when I get home, and right before bed. 

Screenshot_20190827-091921_Chrome.jpg

justinkdenny
3 hours ago, YzF said:

The kids and I love having it by the sofa!

justinkdenny

Corals about a month in.  Still in ugly tank phase.  Battling some type of diatoms of dinoflagellates?   Some corals have bleached a little and I have turned down the lights.  Chalice and orange zoas have shown growth and nothing has died but still not up to par.  Hopefully adding higher random flow will give them a boost and help with the algea.

20190829_203655.jpg

• Like 2
1 hour ago, justinkdenny said:

Corals about a month in.  Still in ugly tank phase.  Battling some type of diatoms of dinoflagellates?   Some corals have bleached a little and I have turned down the lights.  Chalice and orange zoas have shown growth and nothing has died but still not up to par.  Hopefully adding higher random flow will give them a boost and help with the algea.

Looks pretty good to me! Nice new additions too. After a couple of months of steady maintenance I bet you are going to start seeing those frags take off. I like how you put that GSP down on its own little rock, 'cause I am sure it's going to grow like wild before long. 😁

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
justinkdenny
1 hour ago, billygoat said:

Looks pretty good to me! Nice new additions too. After a couple of months of steady maintenance I bet you are going to start seeing those frags take off. I like how you put that GSP down on its own little rock, 'cause I am sure it's going to grow like wild before long. 😁

Yeah that weed's got it's own little island.  One of my favorite corals.  

• Like 1

Not a good pic but something on this snail glows under blues.  It looks encrusting like coraline algea in pic but it doesn't in person under magnification. 

20190902_234326.jpg

• Like 1

You're probably correct that it is a coralline - many algaes can show flourescence under certain lights - especially so when moved to a new environment and forced to reallocate composition based on new nutrient (or spectral) availability - unfortunately, that probably means that the coralline is dying, but I imagine sporing while it has the chance

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Wonderboy said:

You're probably correct that it is a coralline - many algaes can show flourescence under certain lights - especially so when moved to a new environment and forced to reallocate composition based on new nutrient availability - unfortunately, that probably means that the coralline is dying, but I imagine sporing while it has the chance

If you are right I hope its sporing like crazy.  I started with dry rock with this aquarium and the frags I have bought dont have much on it.  Hoping to see some soon as the tank has been going a good little while.

• Like 2
  • 3 months later...

Sorry I haven't updated in a while.  I have been battling dino's.  Man the struggle is real.  I have took the advise from some great members here and have dirtied up the tank, added phytoplankton, copepods,  and more bacteria.   I finally have green algae and coralline algea.  Hair algae is taking over but I still have something brown on sand.  Hopefully it's mostly diatoms or cynobacteria.   Trying to get ahold of the hair algae problem now.  I will never start with dry rock and try to keep ultra low nutrients again.  

20191206_203554.jpg

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...