inTank Media Baskets

Justin's 10 gal. Nano cube

justinkdenny

justinkdenny

Hello all,  

My name is Justin and I am new to the forum.  I had a 75 gal reef aquarium for a long time but just now decided to get back in the hobby, nano style.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, justinkdenny said:

Water is in.  It's clearing up pretty fast!

20190620_191413.jpg

Welcome to NR! 

Looks like you are off to a good start. 😊

justinkdenny
1 minute ago, WV Reefer said:

Welcome to NR! 

Looks like you are off to a good start. 😊

Thanks WV Reefer.  Now to get that nitrogen cycle going.

• Like 1
justinkdenny

Tank update: 6 days in

Salinity-  1.025

Ammonia- 1.5

Nitrite- 1.0 (first day registering)

Salifert test kits

Dosed ammonia using dr. Tim's Aquatics ammonium chloride solution.

20190626_155811.jpg

• Like 1
justinkdenny

Well I ordered a 50w Cobalt Neotherm from Amazon but they sent me a 75 watt.  I guess it won't be to much heater for the tank.  Do you agree?

20190703_215632.jpg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
justinkdenny

Haven't updated in a while.  I finished cycling and purchased my first fish, a clownfish named Otis.  Got my AI Prime HD hooked up and have initially went with Saxby's settings. I also made a DIY media basket.  Things are coming along nicely.

20190718170029.jpg

• Like 4

Cool post. Im thinking of running everything the same. Does anyone know if a Kessil A80 would put out enough light for this tank? Or the Hiperagrow Aqua Knight?  Would like to run a cheaper light if possible.

justinkdenny
8 hours ago, Krish87 said:

Looking great there buddy! Out of curiosity, at what intensity are you running the Saxby settings at?

I run it about 50%.  At peak light, it burns my retinas. Lol

• Haha 1

True that dude! I run the same for my BioCube and WB7. It’s not an exact copy of Sir Saxby’s plan. I modified it a bit. 

If you are going to have the blues high, that shouldn’t be a problem. Only acclimation is the key. But my whites are way low. Also I run greens and reds at 5-8%. 

• Like 1
justinkdenny
2 hours ago, Krish87 said:

True that dude! I run the same for my BioCube and WB7. It’s not an exact copy of Sir Saxby’s plan. I modified it a bit. 

If you are going to have the blues high, that shouldn’t be a problem. Only acclimation is the key. But my whites are way low. Also I run greens and reds at 5-8%. 

Do you run greens and reds for aesthetics or for some other reason?  How low on those whites?  

justinkdenny

Added first corals a few days ago.  Used the Bioadvanced (bayer)  dip method.  All corals seem ok and doing good.  Found 1 small snail 2 starfish and some crustaceans from the plugs so I guess the stuff works pretty good.

Nice frags you've got there! Good to see everything is going well. Do you have any plans to get more fish or are you going to stick with the single clown for now?

On 7/20/2019 at 10:29 AM, justinkdenny said:

Do you run greens and reds for aesthetics or for some other reason?  How low on those whites?  

Hello @justinkdenny - I'm so sorry I missed this.

I have read that greens and reds help with photosynthesis. But since they are prone to cause algae growth at a higher % intensity on smaller tanks, I do not run mine more than 8 - 10 %. 

As far as the cool whites go, my top is at 40%. I run spikes, so it is basically 40 - 25 intensity. 40 when high, and dips to 25 when low. 

Thanks!

• Like 1
justinkdenny
45 minutes ago, Krish87 said:

Hello @justinkdenny - I'm so sorry I missed this.

I have read that greens and reds help with photosynthesis. But since they are prone to cause algae growth at a higher % intensity on smaller tanks, I do not run mine more than 8 - 10 %. 

As far as the cool whites go, my top is at 40%. I run spikes, so it is basically 40 - 25 intensity. 40 when high, and dips to 25 when low. 

Thanks!

Thanks