ReefCleaners.org

Tamberav's Red Sea Reefer Nano - macroalgae and mandarins

Tamberav

13 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

How is that baby 9 Line Goby doing?

Unfortunately I lost him 😞 he was eating fish eggs good and then one day he had passed. He was so tiny it would be hard for me to know if he had some sort of disease.

13 minutes ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

Tank still looks beautiful. 

Lol thanks! I'm surprised how it has held up just doing whatever it does without me. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
Just now, Ratvan said:

Ah sorry to hear that

Thanks...I can't know the cause but sometimes also wonder if the much larger greenbaned gobies were a problem. It's too bad...I would have liked a chance to learn more about their behavior.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
Just now, Tamberav said:

Unfortunately I lost him 😞 he was eating fish eggs good and then one day he had passed. He was so tiny it would be hard for me to know if he had some sort of disease.

Lol thanks! I'm surprised how it has held up just doing whatever it does without me. 

Sorry to hear about the nine line. 😓

Our systems are actually amazingly resilient and self-sufficient by nature. I actually spaced out my WCs because I observed better coloring and PE in my corals when I did so. But each tank is different and has different requirements. What works in one tank might not necessarily work in the other. Still, everything looks healthy in there. Love the BTA too! 😊👍

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

Sorry to hear about the nine line. 😓

Our systems are actually amazingly resilient and self-sufficient by nature. I actually spaced out my WCs because I observed better coloring and PE in my corals when I did so. But each tank is different and has different requirements. What works in one tank might not necessarily work in the other. Still, everything looks healthy in there. Love the BTA too! 😊👍

The BTA split! Actually my BTA in my other tank did too so need to find homes at some point.

I didn't expect them to split since I have never once fed them on purpose.

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
4 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Thanks...I can't know the cause but sometimes also wonder if the much larger greenbaned gobies were a problem. It's too bad...I would have liked a chance to learn more about their behavior.

I was going to ask but considering the tiny size anything could have happened. My LFS are getting an order of Nano Fish (finally after months of me pestering for the Pico Contest) and have been told that they have some of these arriving

• Like 2
54 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

The BTA split! Actually my BTA in my other tank did too so need to find homes at some point.

I didn't expect them to split since I have never once fed them on purpose.

My BTA shriveled because it kept getting stung by a lousy aiptasia that decided to park its stupid butt right next to it. I tried gluing over the thing, but it kept popping up again, and again, and again like some evil radioactive weed grown from Satan's personal backyard. So now I have a tiny nub of a BTA left, but I don't think it can be saved. 😞

Once I find a way to get rid of that aiptasia, I was thinking of buying a new small BTA from my LFS - preferably several months from now. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
On 3/3/2019 at 11:39 PM, Tamberav said:

I am sick so progress is slow... But here is how the tank sits atm and the rock I have to deal with. I got some aptasia to kill and some protective equipment to adorn to remove some palys.

IMG_20190303_172802.jpg

IMG_20190303_172750.jpg

I know this was a while ago now but how long can you leave a tank and inhabitants in such conditions? Thinking about my tank move

3 hours ago, Ratvan said:

I know this was a while ago now but how long can you leave a tank and inhabitants in such conditions? Thinking about my tank move

No heater....didnt want to put my large heater in such a small amount of water.....just flow and light. Two days but no fish. The amount of water doesn't matter as long as it stays stable.

It was all new water though as when I bought the tank it wasn't in the best of condition.

I may be starting my move today although I will probably not move the tanks today.

• Like 3
1 minute ago, Tamberav said:

No heater....didnt want to put my large heater in such a small amount of water.....just flow and light. Two days but no fish. The amount of water doesn't matter as long as it stays stable.

It was all new water though as when I bought the tank it wasn't in the best of condition.

My water will be new, i can only really mix 7-8G a day so will take a little while to fill up (3 days)

8 hours ago, Ratvan said:

I was going to ask but considering the tiny size anything could have happened. My LFS are getting an order of Nano Fish (finally after months of me pestering for the Pico Contest) and have been told that they have some of these arriving

Really cool...keep us posted if you try them. You will need ultra small foods for them! I would have bought him an urchin too but they didn't have any for sale. 

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Really cool...keep us posted if you try them. You will need ultra small foods for them! I would have bought him an urchin too but they didn't have any for sale. 

Too small for me, at this stage anyway. Having that choice 4/5 months ago would have been nice.

• Sad 1

Since this tank is in its own apt....I forgot to turn the return pump on before leaving...I did turn on the other pumps though. Don't ask me how I forgot...sleep deprivation probably....

So change in flow caused one of my nems to walk into the pump and it has a chunk cut out of it and ripped tentacles but it was firmly very stuck to the back wall so I left it as not to piss it off further and just turned off the closest powerhead to it.

I also noticed the tank was cloudy and It didn't quite look like bacterial bloom to me and the corals looked fine and the two filefish looked fine (couldn't find the other fish but that is normal at 4am). 

Inspect...inspect...inspect... Finally figured it out. A hermit crab was spawning. Crappy video because I still haven't cleaned the glass.

The filefish were eating the larva/eggs like crazy...nom nom!

Hopefully everything is okay in the morning cuz I need some sleep.

• Like 2
  • Wow 6
On 9/24/2019 at 6:11 AM, Opotter said:

That is so cool!   I didn’t even know that was a thing!

Honestly never seen it either. I think they typically do it at night but to be fair it was 4am and the lights were still on so I caught it I guess.

• Like 3

This tank made the big move today... I just have my IM 25 lagoon and the QT tank to go.

Here was everything in a cooler.

MVIMG_20190926_202708.thumb.jpg.2aca6fc3bd6202b88caf44913f00ae9b.jpg

And this photo just cuz... fun blue sponge and fun blue macro with some red macro and a little chaos of stuff growing wherever it grows.

I think that is flamingo? Algae. A tiny frag came with my reef cleaners order...Never tried it before as it's listed as difficult but it's doing well. Hopefully everything continues to do well now that I uprooted it all.

MVIMG_20190926_205033.thumb.jpg.41350b70363c6f24c6f68233ddd23dac.jpg

• Like 4
  • Wow 1

Is your Yasha fine without a sand bed? I had thought all the shrimp gobies needed sand (precluding me from getting one) but yours is so cute.

Huge shame about the 9 line, that was an interesting looking little one. I feel like the tiny gobies are so hard sometimes by virtue of being so small, you can't tell what's wrong and they're very susceptible to just... stuff.

Hope your move went better than mine! That second pic looks really cool, the blue sponge and macroalgae have such distinctive shapes/looks compared to corals.

6 minutes ago, Wingsong said:

Is your Yasha fine without a sand bed? I had thought all the shrimp gobies needed sand (precluding me from getting one) but yours is so cute.

Huge shame about the 9 line, that was an interesting looking little one. I feel like the tiny gobies are so hard sometimes by virtue of being so small, you can't tell what's wrong and they're very susceptible to just... stuff.

Hope your move went better than mine! That second pic looks really cool, the blue sponge and macroalgae have such distinctive shapes/looks compared to corals.

Shrimp gobies don't need sand....even the shrimp themselves will hide in the rock if there is no sand.

However if you want to see the symbiosis and a shrimp moving around then you would want sand.

If you just want one of the gobies to have one of the gobies...they will find a cave and do fine without sand. I have two different shrimp gobies in here.

It's always nerve wracking when moving...catching fish is stressful for them and just being stressed can kill. 

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Shrimp gobies don't need sand....even the shrimp themselves will hide in the rock if there is no sand.

However if you want to see the symbiosis and a shrimp moving around then you would want sand.

If you just want one of the gobies to have one of the gobies...they will find a cave and do fine without sand. I have two different shrimp gobies in here.

It's always nerve wracking when moving...catching fish is stressful for them and just being stressed can kill. 

Hmmm, good to know. My bf's favorite reef fish is the Watchman Goby but I avoided getting one thinking it needed sand. I have plenty of caves if that's all it takes though.

Don't I know it. I swear when fish see the net they panic and try everything to escape. A neon goby will sit on your hand quite readily but bring a net ANYWHERE near it and zoooom. 

That vid of the hermit crab spawning is so interesting. Cool thing to see happening.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Wingsong said:

Hmmm, good to know. My bf's favorite reef fish is the Watchman Goby but I avoided getting one thinking it needed sand. I have plenty of caves if that's all it takes though.

Don't I know it. I swear when fish see the net they panic and try everything to escape. A neon goby will sit on your hand quite readily but bring a net ANYWHERE near it and zoooom. 

That vid of the hermit crab spawning is so interesting. Cool thing to see happening.

Ahh you should definitely get one then...always have to try and keep the other half happy with the tank lol

I ended up scooping them up with my hands. Some of them were easy but the Yasha and Royal Gramma were particularly acting insane leaping out of the water and such. I notice less fish freak out with the hand scoop though. I don't really own a net haha

A plastic square colinder works really well too. That's what I use for transferring between quarantine tanks.

The hermit thing was exciting to see and the filefish were still awake and feasting. Free live food for the reef!

• Like 2