Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Tamberav's Red Sea Reefer Nano - macroalgae and mandarins

Tamberav

3 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

:ninja:

I suffer from multiple tank syndrome and my friends are enablers... You know who you are.

More to come.

Yay!!! 😁

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Tamberav said:

You know who you are.

8 minutes ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

Yes! Pics please!

Is she talking about us? 🤷🏻‍♀️

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well.. so I bought a red sea reefer nano with everything included. The listing just said "all kinds of corals" so I am going through and dipping them now.

Not sure if this hammer is bleached or wildy yellow. I thought it looked odd in his tank but the tank came with a kessil and I have never seen many kessils in person so I assumed it was the light. I guess time will tell?

No photo editing, just a clip on orange filter. Here it is all pissed off from the dip next to my green ones. 

IMG_20190302_195500.thumb.jpg.0fd4b693c7d04a8d710c5fc0ed0161d3.jpg

What kind of coral is this? A lobo?

IMG_20190302_203639.thumb.jpg.73fc95e9c3b62734b21ff52909585aa7.jpg

• Like 8
  • Wow 1

Hey, those are some very nice coral!  It might be a yellow hammer.  The hammer that I bought at the LEAR swap is a yellow hammer but under my HOT5s it isn't as yellow as it was in the dealers LED lit display.

• Like 3
9 minutes ago, vlangel said:

Hey, those are some very nice coral!  It might be a yellow hammer.  The hammer that I bought at the LEAR swap is a yellow hammer but under my HOT5s it isn't as yellow as it was in the dealers LED lit display.

It is kind of a fun surprise! Mystery box of corals. 

So far I see the hammer, two colors of frogspawn, a gold torch I think? Hard to tell because my pom pom crab went to town on it (he's jailed atm, maybe trying to eat the slime on it) and it is closed up. That lobo thing, a large acan colony? a rock flower, two bubble tips, a toadstool, and I have not pulled the rock out yet but I think they just have zoa's and palys and maybe GSP on it. 

• Like 1
  • Wow 2

I am sick so progress is slow... But here is how the tank sits atm and the rock I have to deal with. I got some aptasia to kill and some protective equipment to adorn to remove some palys.

IMG_20190303_172802.jpg

IMG_20190303_172750.jpg

• Like 3
  • Wow 1
20 minutes ago, William said:

Wow that nem looks amazing 

Yeah, the corals and nems are pretty nice. He didn't really advertise the livestock and I could not see clearly in the pics so was a nice surprise some decent stuff was in there. Fish wise there is a sixline, black photon clown, and a yellow tail pygmy angel. Also a cleaner shrimp, emerald crab, bumblebee snails, and a cute little blue eyed hermit with an oversized claw. 

He was getting out of the hobby so he gave me everything he had. I have boxes of crap to go through, additives, carbon, I saw some hanna checkers, and so on. 

The system came with a skimmer and two MP10WQD and new apex, ect. 

I don't think I will use the MP10's though so looking for suggestions on a cheaper pump. My focus for this tank is going to be macro/softies with unique fish so I really don't need crazy high end equipment. I basically picked this package up for the tank. 

• Like 2
  • Wow 2
  • 1 month later...

It is still under construction but looks like this currently..

47722347452_3794ef0ab3_o.jpg2019-05-04_04-27-23 by Tana Jahangier, on Flickr

Inhabitants are a Bundoon Fang blenny, Leopard Puffer, pair of White Spotted Pygmy Filefish, and a sassy Ruby Red. 

I also have a pair of yellow lined shrimp goby with a pistol in a breeder box.... they are tiny and could jump out with the current ghetto lid. 

47722346692_66b5a5ac8c_o.jpg2019-05-04_04-27-16 by Tana Jahangier, on Flickr

Had this ruby for awhile now being trained in a breeder box. I picked him out because he was the one talking shit and giving the middle finger to the LFS guy trying to catch one for me. He was flaring his fin and puffing up and hopping around like... bring it bitch! He eats like a boss!

46985489274_cba774cc14_o.jpg2019-05-04_04-27-01 by Tana Jahangier, on Flickr

He is still sassy as ever!

47722341532_1c6854d974_o.jpg2019-05-04_04-26-25 by Tana Jahangier, on Flickr

There is also a porcelain nem crab who is happy no clowns reside in this tank...

47495024782_65c97d3a2c_o.jpg2019-04-06_04-14-05 by Tana Jahangier, on Flickr

• Like 9
  • Wow 1
WV Reefer
31 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Inhabitants are a Bundoon Fang blenny, Leopard Puffer, pair of White Spotted Pygmy Filefish, and a sassy Ruby Red. 

I also have a pair of yellow lined shrimp goby with a pistol in a breeder box.... they are tiny and could jump out with the current ghetto lid. 

Had this ruby for awhile now being trained in a breeder box. I picked him out because he was the one talking shit and giving the middle finger to the LFS guy trying to catch one for me. He was flaring his fin and puffing up and hopping around like... bring it bitch! He eats like a boss!

There is also a porcelain nem crab who is happy no clowns reside in this tank...

That Ruby is badass!! 😄

• Like 2
1 hour ago, wiigelec said:

Planning on bare bottom?

Not originally but it makes feeding easy, I haven't decided which way to go tbh.. my other BB tank has a lot of flow so it stays clean but this one.. not so much. The puffer seems to like lower flow. 

Do you like the sand bend mostly for aesthetics or as a major part of the filter?

Me personally I like the aesthetics so I try to keep my sand as minimal as possible...

1 hour ago, wiigelec said:

Do you like the sand bend mostly for aesthetics or as a major part of the filter?

Me personally I like the aesthetics so I try to keep my sand as minimal as possible...

Aesthetics only....never needed it for a filter although I have never had a DSB. They get that dirty look along the glass and it just doesnt appeal to me.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, vlangel said:

Wow, very cool tank and I like what you are doing with it.

That means a lot coming from you 😊

It is a work in progress but... what isn't in this hobby? 

Probably order a proper lid tonight and I need to remove more aiptasia and GSP/Paly's that came with the live rock. 

Keeping mixed macro is always challenging, they can be so picky about flow/lighting, nutrients, they like iron/maganese which isn't as easy to pin down like alk/ca... and are easily out competed by pest algae which always loves to grow directly on the macro choking it. You can't just be like... oh pest algae let me just spray some peroxide... oops killed my macro too 😛 Oh my one so-and-so macro is doing so well! So well it is out competing other types who start to melt.. :haha:

• Like 3
Snow_Phoenix
On 5/5/2019 at 5:52 AM, Tamberav said:

Just catching up on all that pics - that Ruby is gorgeous! People always say dragonets are slow, methodical creatures ---> they've never seen one J-turn so fast to escape a net before. :lol:

And I love the little filefish and puffer. The crab + RBTA combo looks really neat too! :happydance:

• Like 1

Wow looks like you really scored with the tank and livestock that came with it, it looks gorgeous already! Can't wait to see how it grows

• Like 1
1 hour ago, yoshii said:

Wow looks like you really scored with the tank and livestock that came with it, it looks gorgeous already! Can't wait to see how it grows

Thanks Yoshi!! 

It was a good score, if I sold the rest of the stuff I kept, I would actually make a large profit 😮 It was one of those deals where the guy just wanted one person to come take everything away as he was getting out of the hobby, my SUV was packed bottom to top. 

I sold off all the fish it came with it and one BTA. It came with some pests but nothing major. The great part about buying a running set-up is I could see everything worked as it should and no leaks. 

The aged live rock is a blessing... it is handling a large feeding load like a champ. 

Also I just discovered an emerald crab... just now as I was typing... that I didn't know I had.. LOL maybe he is the brat who ate a bunch of my ochtodes macroalgae. 

He seems really fearful of my fish even though he is kind of big... maybe the puffer been giving him a hard time..

How to catch him? 🤔