inTank Media Baskets

Tamberav's Red Sea Reefer Nano - macroalgae and mandarins

Tamberav

2 hours ago, Amphrites said:

Most micro skimmers are pretty janky from what I've read lol, seems like if you want something small you're usually better off just cutting the bottom out of a small glass (or plastic) soda bottle and running your own airstone and drain through it.

Can't wait to see the mandarins, the tank is looking gorgeous.

Mmm...the nano skimmers I use are amazing. Some companies have come a long way these days. 

The problem is I think that skimmer is built in and not removable and noisy? I could be wrong but I remember people complaining about it.

• Like 1

I ordered two money cowrie's from reefcleaners. I am not sure if one made it, may just be in shock, still has flesh inside, just not moving.

However, one of them is definitely alive!

MVIMG_20190627_015002

MVIMG_20190627_015021

• Like 4
17 hours ago, Amphrites said:

Cowries are such cool animals, hope the other one improves.

Fingeres crossed but they don't seem to ship well for me. I tried two before and both were dead, but at least this time at least ONE made it. I am happy for that.

Also got these guys, a sea squirt.... its like a living turd but I like it 🙂 Add's some curiosity to a dark corner.... and a NPS gorg (He actually sent me two so I attached them to a rock and put in the corner until I can find a place for it). It is just starting to open, so I shot some sea fan powdered food at it. Not sure if I can keep this alive but not much info on them so I'll try it out. 

2019-06-28_12-42-47

• Like 2
Snow_Phoenix
41 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Fingeres crossed but they don't seem to ship well for me. I tried two before and both were dead, but at least this time at least ONE made it. I am happy for that.

Also got these guys, a sea squirt.... its like a living turd but I like it 🙂 Add's some curiosity to a dark corner.... and a NPS gorg (He actually sent me two so I attached them to a rock and put in the corner until I can find a place for it). It is just starting to open, so I shot some sea fan powdered food at it. Not sure if I can keep this alive but not much info on them so I'll try it out. 

2019-06-28_12-42-47

I have a huge sea squirt that hitchiked on my finger leather colony. Looks exactly like yours but with a poop brown color. It's hideous, but I actually like it. :blush:

The gorg actually looks kinda pretty. Nice acquisition, Tam! :happy:

• Like 1

Added a yellow and pink feather duster yesterday, the yellow has been out but no sign of the pink yet, hopefully it is alive. I also moved my mushroom rock from my 25g into here. Trying to free up space in that tank for a rainbow brain and a elegance. 

Really not much pest algae left to speak up since dosing PO4. My blue Cespitularia has been unhappy since I did a large water change some weeks back, I think it is finally improving. I have a hard time keeping Cespitularia and Xenia alive long term in any of my tanks, I did add some Xenia to the back wall and it is doing fine. I have started feeding powdered foods since I got the gorg. I also added a 2nd Jaebo powerhead yesterday. The new ones have a master/slave setting so that was kind of cool for such a cheap pump.

Will try to get a FTS later. I need to wipe the water droplets from the glass.

MVIMG_20190703_133319

• Like 2
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
22 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

MVIMG_20190703_143743

Hopefully with the pest algae gone the macro will start to flourish. 

Does pest algae have to be gone in order for macros to grow? I just got in a couple macros last week (my first ones) and they don't look good. I have some gha though.

4 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Does pest algae have to be gone in order for macros to grow? I just got in a couple macros last week (my first ones) and they don't look good. I have some gha though.

I figured the pest algae was trying to eat up the nutrients, but my pest algae was also growing ON some of my macro trying to smother it. I added more CUC and dosed PO4 and that took care of it. Personally I find GHA can outpace macro if the macro isnt healthy/established. If your macro was shipped, they usually arrive in rough shape and take a bit to recover. Hermits have been the best macro cleaners for me, climbing right up to the top of it where larger snails have a harder time. Unfortunately they also eat less complex macro's but I just won't keep those to make it easy on myself.

• Like 2
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
2 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

I figured the pest algae was trying to eat up the nutrients, but my pest algae was also growing ON some of my macro trying to smother it. I added more CUC and dosed PO4 and that took care of it. Personally I find GHA can outpace macro if the macro isnt healthy/established. If your macro was shipped, they usually arrive in rough shape and take a bit to recover. 

yeah I got it last Thursday with more snails and hermits. I got it from reef cleaners, awesome guy by the way, and I figured it would take some time but they look bad at the moment. I'm hoping they bounce back soon. In your experience, how long before you notice them getting back the color and not looking like they have died?

This is one of the macros I got. https://www.reefcleaners.org/aquarium-store/laurencia

5 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

yeah I got it last Thursday with more snails and hermits. I got it from reef cleaners, awesome guy by the way, and I figured it would take some time but they look bad at the moment. I'm hoping they bounce back soon. In your experience, how long before you notice them getting back the color and not looking like they have died?

This is one of the macros I got. https://www.reefcleaners.org/aquarium-store/laurencia

I didn't buy the lurencia one, I believe that one is a little more hard to care for. It does say to put it in high turbulent flow. 

Mine took 2-3 weeks to start getting color back. 

• Thanks 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
Just now, Tamberav said:

I didn't buy the lurencia one, I believe that one is a little more hard to care for. It does say to put it in high turbulent flow. 

Mine took 2-3 weeks to start getting color back. 

yeah I took a chance on it because it's really pretty. I have it in pretty good flow. I may end up remounting it. It's neat to see the hermits climb it lol.

• Like 1

Nitrate 8, PO4 0.061 👍

2 hours ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

yeah I took a chance on it because it's really pretty. I have it in pretty good flow. I may end up remounting it. It's neat to see the hermits climb it lol.

Yeah it looks like nice stuff! I almost ordered it but decided not to because was still trying to get this young tank situated, plus I wasn't sure if my critters would eat it. They ate all my blue ochtodes. :somber:

• Wow 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
1 hour ago, Tamberav said:

Nitrate 8, PO4 0.061 👍

Yeah it looks like nice stuff! I almost ordered it but decided not to because was still trying to get this young tank situated, plus I wasn't sure if my critters would eat it. They ate all my blue ochtodes. :somber:

Well fingers crossed that I can grow that instead of gha 😁.

• Like 1

Well the only thing that went wrong is two original old 700 LDD drivers melted...I swapped them with some new 300s to test and it worked fine with those so I think the drivers were just toast. I ordered two new 700s.

It was an old nanobox with storm controller two channel that I upgraded to blue fish 5 channel + fan. I plan to hang some sunblaster t5s with it.

I had to de-solder things and solder things and ...well...I have never done that before but it was pretty fun to learn something. This hobby has taught me a lot...from chemistry...how to build things...and drill glass.... How to paint furniture... And plumbing.. 

I would love to build my own stands someday but being in an apartment I have no where to put those types of power tools yet.

My hubby likes to tease me and say "why are you doing man things?"

IMG_20190704_174715.thumb.jpg.81d4a95cb4d0b25f63ec60ef06edad7b.jpg

IMG_20190705_020957.thumb.jpg.fd1aece302cc2b74239b325fb54e9cb1.jpg

IMG_20190704_202640.thumb.jpg.b8822124718625f2cc3d365779074389.jpg

Once the new drivers are here I will DIY a driver box and get the new lights hung and clean up the wires a bit. I did use DIP sockets which basically makes it so I can swap drivers quickly without soldering if one were to go bad so that will make it easy when the new ones get here. 

I did have @DaveFason make the harness part the bluefish plugs into, I think I could make my own next time though now that I can look at it more closely, it was difficult at first to figure out what the parts were called to order them, when you have no background in electrical work or led's or anything, I just would call them..... "that pluggy end-thingy" lol 😉 

• Like 4
  • Wow 2

The gorg is opening up regularly now 🙂 I am broadcast feeding reef-roids and ultra sea fan. It seems to be catching the food, hopfully it is able to eat it too. My filefish seem to love the sea fan food too. 

MVIMG_20190706_212559

• Like 5
  • Wow 1
Snow_Phoenix
30 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

The gorg is opening up regularly now 🙂 I am broadcast feeding reef-roids and ultra sea fan. It seems to be catching the food, hopfully it is able to eat it too. My filefish seem to love the sea fan food too. 

MVIMG_20190706_212559

It's beautiful!

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

It's beautiful!

I am definitely liking it! It's getting even fluffier now. 😍

MVIMG_20190706_223930.thumb.jpg.199abdf281bc8b62b08cdbac98e8759b.jpg

• Like 6
  • Wow 3

Guys I paid $25 for a fish that is so tiny I can hardly see it lol I had never seen one for sale before and I am just too curious of a person to not buy it. 

It is a BABY nine-line goby, they max out at an inch but he is much tinier! I had to put him in a breeder box in my QT tank... he needs to grow bigger as he is no match for even a green banded goby or a hermit crab or anything. He is so small my yasha could swallow him!

These photos make him look so big since I zoomed in lol My LFS had him in a betta tank with a sponge filter since he is a speck.

MVIMG_20190713_191520

MVIMG_20190713_191457

• Like 6
  • Wow 5
On 7/13/2019 at 7:26 PM, Tamberav said:

Guys I paid $25 for a fish that is so tiny I can hardly see it lol I had never seen one for sale before and I am just too curious of a person to not buy it. 

It is a BABY nine-line goby, they max out at an inch but he is much tinier! I had to put him in a breeder box in my QT tank... he needs to grow bigger as he is no match for even a green banded goby or a hermit crab or anything. He is so small my yasha could swallow him!

These photos make him look so big since I zoomed in lol My LFS had him in a betta tank with a sponge filter since he is a speck.

MVIMG_20190713_191520

MVIMG_20190713_191457

I've wanted one of those!!!!! I'm picking  up a Marineland portrait, my plan is either a YCG, Sharknose pair or if I could find one a nineline

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Northwoodsreefer said:

I've wanted one of those!!!!! I'm picking  up a Marineland portrait, my plan is either a YCG, Sharknose pair or if I could find one a nineline

Well if one popped up at my LFS....I would think there is some more that were collected. I feel like a lot of places just don't order little weird fish.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
9 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Well if one popped up at my LFS....I would think there is some more that were collected. I feel like a lot of places just don't order little weird fish.

yeah, im the "kid who orders weird fish" at my LFS😂

• Like 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
On ‎7‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 8:26 PM, Tamberav said:

MVIMG_20190713_191520

MVIMG_20190713_191457

Wow, what cool little fish!

• Like 1