SaltCritters.com

First 5g Reef on a College Budget - 1 YR ๐ŸŽ†๐ŸŽ‰

CarolinaShoreReef

CarolinaShoreReef

After flaunting the lidless life on my other tank build thread today, I came back home to fish chips.ย AA4B8858-8D10-4C2F-ACE0-A8ABC8C506F8.thumb.jpeg.bb9b54a26d5419539ab826915c8e6e50.jpeg

ย 

Takeย a look at the new scape here:

ย 

• Sad 1
On 3/8/2018 at 11:47 PM, xthunt said:

The Fish Room? Up near Raleigh?

On 3/8/2018 at 11:48 PM, CarolinaShoreReef said:

Thats the one!

Thats the one!

A long, long time ago, when I was a very new reefer and The Fish Room was a brand-new store, I got my first-ever corals from there.ย  A couple zoa and paly frags, a vivid metallic green ricordea, and a baby hammer head the guy threw in.ย  In the same bag as the ricordea, mind you.ย  Next day the ric was mush and everything started dying and I experienced my first tank crash and just how heartbreaking this hobby can be sometimes.ย  But I bounced back and I'm still here! :happy:

ย 

On 3/9/2018 at 12:58 AM, xthunt said:

Iโ€™ll have to look that one up. I usually make the drive to Nemos Reef in Matthews. ย  Went to one in Clayton once that seemed ok. Thereโ€™s one in Raeford a guy runs from his home, his tanks are very โ€˜naturalโ€™ and have a lot of diversity.ย 

Nemo's Reef is awesome.ย  Bout an hour for me but I make the drive when I can.

ย 

On 3/29/2018 at 8:53 PM, CarolinaShoreReef said:

๐Ÿ”ฅ๐Ÿคฆ๐Ÿฝโ€โ™‚๏ธ๐Ÿ”ฅ Outside temp went to 80ย today and my parents didnโ€™t turn on the AC so when I got back my room was 79 degrees ๐Ÿ”ฅ๐Ÿ”ฅ๐Ÿคฏ ๐Ÿ˜ณ and my tank was 84 again.. The hydor theo heater was still on, I never see that thing shut off and itโ€™s set to 77... needless to say I unplugged it and a hour later my tanks down to 82. I contacted DrF&S and too see if I can get credit back on the heater and just replace it with another one. Any suggestions? I have a tetra preset one thatโ€™s a 50w but I think I want to do 25w or lower now. Id like to go no heater too but in the summer when the AC is always on the house sits around 72ish.ย 

ย 

This definitely explains why my gsp has been closed up and my torch and tongue are super sad looking.ย 

ย 

Ps I always keep my fans on in my room because i canโ€™t sleep without them ๐Ÿคฃย 

Check out the Archea heater offered by Aqua Forest Aquarium.ย  I've used one on my 5.5 for over a year, external thermostat and it's excellent at keeping temps where I want them.ย  Pair it with the Inkbird for ultimate peace of mind.ย  Hydor Theos are junk, imo.ย  I will never own one again, not even for heating water.

ย 

On 5/18/2018 at 8:30 PM, CarolinaShoreReef said:

This tank continues to do pretty well. Candy cane is splitting as well as the green mushroom. Pulsing Xenia catch everyoneโ€™s eyes and have begun to take over.ย I havenโ€™t tested the water in about a month and dont really ever plan to again. I want this tank to be ULM with just weekly wc of 1g and housing no corals of value. The tank looked pretty good after going three weeks with no wc due to being busy with finals. An โ€˜outbreakโ€™ of pineapple sponges has occurred as a result of the nutrient build up I suppose. Iโ€™m back on track with wc. Just picked up an emerald crab to help with some extra GHA.ย 

E96E36B0-D2E7-411B-9030-98550BF7D694.jpeg

4A2E37A8-065C-4E1E-B7C4-64772E966A54.jpeg

A14C473E-78AF-42E6-8F3B-4A0253140EE1.jpeg

4BC8E2FE-61F1-48CC-9185-4D0A738A33F1.jpeg

E992357B-10CA-4E5A-9424-9B2E6CEA552E.jpeg

4BC50732-CBDF-42FD-9269-219139920D3B.jpeg

Keep an eye on that emerald.ย  They're known to be aggressive and even eat corals sometimes.

• Like 1

Oh!ย  I forgot to add--when you have corals ailing like your torch, you can try a Lugol's iodine dip.ย  I've had good luck with using it on LPS especially.ย  A couple of drops of Lugol's per cup of tank water for 3-5 minutes and can repeat the next day if needed.ย  It's not a cure-all but can really help.

32 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

"...Keep an eye on that emerald.ย  They're known to be aggressive and even eat corals sometimes."

I wonder if this is why my zoas have been closed up... my tanks never been more stable but still they're closed up most of the time. I added the emeralds (3) not too long ago...ย 

ย 

...hmmm

• Like 1
CarolinaShoreReef
7 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

A long, long time ago, when I was a very new reefer and The Fish Room was a brand-new store, I got my first-ever corals from there.ย  A couple zoa and paly frags, a vivid metallic green ricordea, and a baby hammer head the guy threw in.ย  In the same bag as the ricordea, mind you.ย  Next day the ric was mush and everything started dying and I experienced my first tank crash and just how heartbreaking this hobby can be sometimes.ย  But I bounced back and I'm still here! :happy:

Itโ€™s all about bouncing back, this hobby is too fun to be excluded lol.ย I think the staff there at fish room now know enough not to mix coral like that... maybe lol.ย 

Nemo's Reef is awesome.ย  Bout an hour for me but I make the drive when I can.

I need to make the drive out there I keep hearing about it! I go to and love Fintastic of wake county. Great staff there and greatย competitive prices.ย 

ย 

Check out the Archea heater offered by Aqua Forest Aquarium.ย  I've used one on my 5.5 for over a year, external thermostat and it's excellent at keeping temps where I want them.ย  Pair it with the Inkbird for ultimate peace of mind.ย  Hydor Theos are junk, imo.ย  I will never own one again, not even for heating water.

Iโ€™ll have to take a look at that. Since getting the inkbird,ย my tankย has been really stable with the hydor theo. The hydor Theo has a mind of its own and will never shut down lol.ย 

ย 

Keep an eye on that emerald.ย  They're known to be aggressive and even eat corals sometimes.

Yep I have heard that, in the event that happens,ย heโ€™ll be evicted. So far heโ€™s minding his own business but it has only been about a couple weeks. Cool little fella so far beside the fact he killed both my lazy hermits.ย 

CarolinaShoreReef

Oh!ย  I forgot to add--when you have corals ailing like your torch, you can try a Lugol's iodine dip.ย  I've had good luck with using it on LPS especially.ย  A couple of drops of Lugol's per cup of tank water for 3-5 minutes and can repeat the next day if needed.ย  It's not a cure-all but can really help.

Thanks for the heads up! Iโ€™ll definitelyย try this next time I need to. I was thinking to do that but i didnโ€™t knowย if anything was going to help this torch. It was looking really bad. Iโ€™ve got another hammer in my lagoon that I might do this with but Iโ€™ve just attached it to the rock with putty. ๐Ÿค” I had shadowed outย some of the smaller heads and one of them died and the other is recovering. Seems to be doing fine now though.ย 

CarolinaShoreReef
7 hours ago, el_ote said:

I wonder if this is why my zoas have been closed up... my tanks never been more stable but still they're closed up most of the time. I added the emeralds (3) not too long ago...ย 

ย 

...hmmm

You have three in the 5g? I was thinking about getting more or another turbo and then getting rid of it after it cleans the tank well.ย 

5 hours ago, CarolinaShoreReef said:

You have three in the 5g? I was thinking about getting more or another turbo and then getting rid of it after it cleans the tank well.ย 

3 in a 10 gallon. Was thinking going heavy on inverts, can't wait to find a squat lobster, but I may have to move one or two emeralds to the tank at the office.ย 

• Like 1

What kind of fish chip?ย 

ย 

ย 

I bought a 6line yesterday... Damn thing... As soon as I cut a hole in the top of the plastic bag it came flying out up over the tank and landed behind the tank in a pile of dust bunnies. I had to pull the tank out from the wall toย retrieve it and then pick all the dog hair off. He was definitely in a bit of shock but I saw him swimming under the rock before bed so I think he lived.ย 

• Like 1
CarolinaShoreReef
53 minutes ago, el_ote said:

3 in a 10 gallon. Was thinking going heavy on inverts, can't wait to find a squat lobster, but I may have to move one or two emeralds to the tank at the office.ย 

Oh okay.ย I need to look up the squat lobster itย sounds cool lol.ย ย 

My midas blenny has also landed on the floor twice now during feeding and I only just open the top a crack. He gets so excited he just comes flying out of the water sometimes when it's feeding time. One of these days he's going to slap me right in the face.ย 

• Haha 2
CarolinaShoreReef
3 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

What kind of fish chip?ย 

ย 

ย 

I bought a 6line yesterday... Damn thing... As soon as I cut a hole in the top of the plastic bag it came flying out up over the tank and landed behind the tank in a pile of dust bunnies. I had to pull the tank out from the wall toย retrieve it and then pick all the dog hair off. He was definitely in a bit of shock but I saw him swimming under the rock before bed so I think he lived.ย 

Nauti, the tailspot blenny. ๐Ÿ”ฑย 

ย 

Nice you were able to save yours!! Iโ€™m making my lid for mine today. ๐Ÿ˜ฌ

1 minute ago, Tamberav said:

My midas blenny has also landed on the floor twice now during feeding and I only just open the top a crack. He gets so excited he just comes flying out of the water sometimes when it's feeding time. One of these days he's going to slap me right in the face.ย 

Hahah you should record that๐Ÿ˜‚

CarolinaShoreReef

Surely was a great decision to go with these two. Fun to watch for sure. The pistol, emerald and wheeler goby have all taken up estate in the gsp island (smallest rock lol). I wish them luck.ย 

A3B4C5A3-85CF-435A-A22E-E28AC7EA92A5.jpeg

5137C5ED-3CFA-4ED3-837C-FDC209C13F3B.gif

• Like 2

Super cool! I'm kinda afraid to get my goby for my pistol shrimp because my clown was pretty aggressive towards my bicolor blenny when I first got him. I love the coloration of your goby!

• Like 1
CarolinaShoreReef
5 hours ago, el_ote said:

Super cool! I'm kinda afraid to get my goby for my pistol shrimp because my clown was pretty aggressive towards my bicolor blenny when I first got him. I love the coloration of your goby!

Thank you, itโ€™s really pretty!

ย 

I would think the goby could carry itself against a clown especially being able to hide within the rock work. But I know these clowns are not playing any games out here lol.ย 

CarolinaShoreReef

Surprised my inverts arenโ€™t dead. Just found out Iโ€™ve been using my pipet for the Revive dip to feed the fish with...