Innovative Marine Aquariums

First 5g Reef on a College Budget - 1 YR ๐ŸŽ†๐ŸŽ‰

CarolinaShoreReef

CarolinaShoreReef
31 minutes ago, xthunt said:

I went to one of them and didnโ€™t see much, but the saltwater tanks were nasty. As soon as I walked up to the big tank first thing I seen was a piece of bubble algae floated right by. I think they were mainly focused on freshwater.ย 

Yeah they sometimes get some nice pieces in. I'm still new to the saltwater side and most of my livestock is from fintastic. Just can't beat their prices and knowledge. Looking forward to their anniversary sale this Saturday!

35 minutes ago, CarolinaShoreReef said:

Yeah they sometimes get some nice pieces in. I'm still new to the saltwater side and most of my livestock is from fintastic. Just can't beat their prices and knowledge. Looking forward to their anniversary sale this Saturday!

Iโ€™ll have to look that one up. I usually make the drive to Nemos Reef in Matthews. ย  Went to one in Clayton once that seemed ok. Thereโ€™s one in Raeford a guy runs from his home, his tanks are very โ€˜naturalโ€™ and have a lot of diversity.ย 

• Like 1
CarolinaShoreReef
7 hours ago, xthunt said:

Iโ€™ll have to look that one up. I usually make the drive to Nemos Reef in Matthews. ย  Went to one in Clayton once that seemed ok. Thereโ€™s one in Raeford a guy runs from his home, his tanks are very โ€˜naturalโ€™ and have a lot of diversity.ย 

Nice I'll have to look those up too!ย 

ย 

EDIT. I just got got the flyer for fintastic. I wish I had another tank set up right now I'd love some Wyomings. I'm no price expert but I think that's a great deal!!ย 

IMG_2605.PNG

CarolinaShoreReef

Omg guys I'm going to go crazy this weekend!!!!!! If you're in the triangle area of NC come down to fintastic I'll be filming their anniversary sale for them! ?ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

IMG_2606.PNG

IMG_2607.PNG

IMG_2608.PNG

IMG_2609.PNG

IMG_2610.PNG

CarolinaShoreReef

Nooooo. When I first bought the evo v there was no such thing. I guess they saw my video... I was planning to get the 13.5 today with a 30% discount to make it $111... now we wait again lol. Any body have some cheap upgrade suggestion?ย 

IMG_2604.PNG

burtbollinger

be careful not to overdo the green corals...unless that is your explicit intention.ย  save room for blasts of vibrant color.ย  ย ย 

• Like 1
CarolinaShoreReef
31 minutes ago, burtbollinger said:

be careful not to overdo the green corals...unless that is your explicit intention.ย  save room for blasts of vibrant color.ย  ย ย 

Which ones are you referencing? I thought I did pretty good at getting a variety here but maybe I didn't. I really bought what's cheapest, but I like how it looks thus far! I think once all the zoas and mushrooms grow in there'll be some nice color popping.

burtbollinger
14 hours ago, CarolinaShoreReef said:

Which ones are you referencing? I thought I did pretty good at getting a variety here but maybe I didn't. I really bought what's cheapest, but I like how it looks thus far! I think once all the zoas and mushrooms grow in there'll be some nice color popping.

Good advice as you move forward...thatโ€™s all.ย 

• Like 1
CarolinaShoreReef
5 minutes ago, burtbollinger said:

Good advice as you move forward...thatโ€™s all.ย 

I appreciate it! I was just wondering if there were some corals I bought that were catching your eye as being too much green hahaย 

burtbollinger
27 minutes ago, CarolinaShoreReef said:

I appreciate it! I was just wondering if there were some corals I bought that were catching your eye as being too much green hahaย 

I see a lot of muddy colors. ย Dull orange, greens and near browns....IMOย you need to focus on bright oranges and pinks moving forward. ย Just one persons 2 cents. ย Not criticizing....just something Iโ€™d advise keeping in mind. ย If you wereย my buddy Iโ€™d tell you to now slow down and have the rest of what you buy be carefully planned around big pops of color. ย You might pay a lot more for these final pieces but it would be worthwhile. ย Again, this is all opinion...and mine would be go for a bag of skittles look. ย Youโ€™ve got a good base but not infinite space...make the rest pop.

• Thanks 2
CarolinaShoreReef
32 minutes ago, burtbollinger said:

I see a lot of muddy colors. ย Dull orange, greens and near browns....IMOย you need to focus on bright oranges and pinks moving forward. ย Just one persons 2 cents. ย Not criticizing....just something Iโ€™d advise keeping in mind. ย If you wereย my buddy Iโ€™d tell you to now slow down and have the rest of what you buy be carefully planned around big pops of color. ย You might pay a lot more for these final pieces but it would be worthwhile. ย Again, this is all opinion...and mine would be go for a bag of skittles look. ย Youโ€™ve got a good base but not infinite space...make the rest pop.

I agree. When I pick things out at the lfs they look way better under their primeHDsย (hopefully picking one up from them soon). Everything looks dull under the stock white lighting but when the straight blues run I see pinks, blues, reds, greens, and I just got a Rasta head and some fruit loops were thrown in (I love this store so much lol). I'll make sure to only add things that pop when I upgrade this tank to a 14! Thanks for the great advice!ย 

burtbollinger
16 minutes ago, CarolinaShoreReef said:

Another question for you Burt, do you think the euphyllia are too close to the tongue?ย 

Not yet, but you will want to monitor as time goes on. ย Looks ok for the next several months at least. ย At that point bump over an inch if necessary . ย Iโ€™m always adjusting things a half inch here and there as things grow or expand

• Thanks 1
CarolinaShoreReef
8 minutes ago, burtbollinger said:

Not yet, but you will want to monitor as time goes on. ย Looks ok for the next several months at least. ย At that point bump over an inch if necessary . ย Iโ€™m always adjusting things a half inch here and there as things grow or expand

Okay, great! I'm hoping to upgrade to the larger tank over the summer.ย 

CarolinaShoreReef

Picture of the tank! I need to get a gel filter to take some better pics.ย 

ย 

ย 

IMG_2667.JPG

Here's my frag haul from the 2yr anniversary of Fintastic Aquariums of Wake County!ย 

ย 

ย 

CarolinaShoreReef

Last update for a while on the nano unless things start changing!ย 

ย 

If you see any issues with the placement of some corals just let me know!ย 

ย 

ย 

CarolinaShoreReef
20 minutes ago, lundiboy8 said:

I am upgrading my 13.5 so I will be selling mine here in a few days if interested. I am down near Wilmington NC

It's a bit far for me and too soon I'll have to wait and see. Thanks for reaching out though!ย 

CarolinaShoreReef

Anybody know what's up with my frogspawn? Normal?!ย It's been a shadowed out by the rock for a couple days since I moved it. Looks really puffed up at the base. 1st pic is before 2nd is what I'm referring to.ย 

IMG_2712.PNG

IMG_2711.JPG

CarolinaShoreReef

Just bought the "Aquarium Cam" appย :Pย the greens are a bit too exaggerated since I can't control the light's actinic output but it's now much closer to what I see when the blues are on. You'll see a huge difference from the pictures before in this thread to now. It has all gel filter colors, white balance and RGB balancing as well for just $3. I'm still tinkering with it,ย so hopefully I'll get some more "realistic" photos soon. Follow me on instagram at "carolinashorefishing" to see the video quality it takes. I'm shooting from an iPhone 6 but I'm going to download this app on my dads iPhone 7 to get even better quality pictures!ย 

IMG_2743.JPG

IMG_2733.JPG

IMG_2734.JPG

IMG_2736.JPG

IMG_2737.JPG

IMG_2744.JPG

IMG_2745.JPG

IMG_2746.JPG

IMG_2747.JPG

• Like 1
GregEmmitte

Couple of things:

algaaebarn sells an orange filtered clip that can go over your phones camera lenses that will filter out some of the blue. Makes for decent photo taking under actinic.

Also, youโ€™re going to want to feed that gorgonian. And keep it out of direct white light.

• Like 2