Pod Your Reef

First 5g Reef on a College Budget - 1 YR ๐ŸŽ†๐ŸŽ‰

CarolinaShoreReef

Whatever you do, don't contaminate your other tank :o

ย 

Never had to deal with these *crosses fingers* I dip my zoa frags in bayer and then peroxide/tank water which is probably pretty harsh on any pests.

ย 

ย 

• Like 2
CarolinaShoreReef
40 minutes ago, markalot said:

There will be eggs, unfortunately.ย  I have some rapidly growing orange zoas in my 40 with nudis and they can't keep up.ย  Every few weeks the zoas close up, I can see the nudis, then they vanish for a month.ย  Not sure if my little wrasse eats them or if they don;t live that long, or can't survive in the tank, or what.ย ย 

ย 

I would remove to a small container of tank water and closely inspect, scraping and removing anything you can find.ย  I'm not sure if there's a product that can kill the eggs or not, but flatworm exit will knock the nudis off and kill some of them.ย  Doesn't help with the eggs though.ย ย 

Okay I will do that. Would you redip all of the coral or just the zoas? Will I find the eggs on the rock or the zoas and plugs? Thanks Mark!ย 

CarolinaShoreReef
1 hour ago, Tamberav said:

Whatever you do, don't contaminate your other tank :o

ย 

Never had to deal with these *crosses fingers* I dip my zoa frags in bayer and then peroxide/tank water which is probably pretty harsh on any pests.

ย 

ย 

I think it came from the other tank... I noticed closed up colonies after adding a few mushrooms and a really cool paly from the lagoon. Thereโ€™s some closed colonies in the lagoon too so when I get back home today Iโ€™m going to inspect both tanks and dip as much as I can from each tank. Itโ€™ll be easier to dip from the 5g since nothing has grown over their plugs but the lagoon has a bunch that have grown over. Iโ€™ve used bayer before abs noticed more insects coming off when dipping with. I think Iโ€™ll switch back to it. I just donโ€™t know if the nudi will be laying their eggs around the zoas only or everywhere in the tank... Thanks Tamberav!

On 3/17/2018 at 12:50 PM, CarolinaShoreReef said:

If you have the attachment on there (I couldn't fit it in there lol) then there's a way to do it without sucking that uses gravity and pressure! You hold your thumb on the bottom end of the tubeย and stick the vacuum end in the tank, fill it with water then hold it upwards to let the water run down. You then stick the vacuum end back in the water and release your thumb from the tube. But I like the taste of saltwater lol reminds of the beach! ?

So I know a lot of people still do this but for me it's not worth the risk.ย  There is tons of bacteria,ย  chemical warfare from softies (that's why people with softies run carbon). Anyways I know you are newer to the hobby like I am so I just wanted to mention look up palytoxin in your zoas.. if you haven't educate yourself on it so you can decide how to safely handle them.. no one had mentioned it to me at my lfs,ย  I'm glad I ran across it on this forum..ย 

ย 

Happy reefing!!

• Like 1
CarolinaShoreReef
13 minutes ago, Weikel said:

So I know a lot of people still do this but for me it's not worth the risk.ย  There is tons of bacteria,ย  chemical warfare from softies (that's why people with softies run carbon). Anyways I know you are newer to the hobby like I am so I just wanted to mention look up palytoxin in your zoas.. if you haven't educate yourself on it so you can decide how to safely handle them.. no one had mentioned it to me at my lfs,ย  I'm glad I ran across it on this forum..ย 

ย 

Happy reefing!!

I don't know how Iย didn't think of this.. I knew about palytoxins way before coming into the hobby lol.ย  I never thought of that hurting me during a wc. Thank you so much for the heads up! My LFS isn't too worried about them unless they're dealing with the grande palys haha.ย ย 

Just now, CarolinaShoreReef said:

I don't know how Iย didn't think of this.. I knew about palytoxins way before coming into the hobby lol.ย  I never thought of that hurting me during a wc. Thank you so much for the heads up! My LFS isn't too worried about them unless they're dealing with the grande palys haha.ย ย 

Lol yea like i said a lot of people do it this way but not me.. but I always wear a full face helmet when riding motorcycles too ?.. do your research and see if it's worth the risk to youย 

• Like 1
CarolinaShoreReef
2 minutes ago, Weikel said:

Lol yea like i said a lot of people do it this way but not me.. but I always wear a full face helmet when riding motorcycles too ?.. do your research and see if it's worth the risk to youย 

Iโ€™ve done the research on the stuff. I know why people donโ€™t worry about it, they have massive setups... our palytoxins in these Nano and picos are way more concentrated than in their larger setups which dilute them.ย 

ย 

I never reallyย suck any water into my mouth when doing it this way and itโ€™s really my only way unless I buy one with the startup bulb pump. Iโ€™m not too worried though.ย 

3 hours ago, CarolinaShoreReef said:

Okay I will do that. Would you redip all of the coral or just the zoas? Will I find the eggs on the rock or the zoas and plugs? Thanks Mark!ย 

ย 

Not sure, sorry.ย  I wouldย not dip and stress everything, worse case is you have to do without zoas for a month or so.

• Like 1
CarolinaShoreReef
10 minutes ago, markalot said:

ย 

Not sure, sorry.ย  I wouldย not dip and stress everything, worse case is you have to do without zoas for a month or so.

Alright thatโ€™s cool, thank you. Iโ€™m thinking about moving my Rasta and fruit loops to my lagoon after dipping them. The Rasta especially because it only has one polyp and another one coming in.ย 

CarolinaShoreReef

???โ€โ™‚๏ธ? Outside temp went to 80ย today and my parents didnโ€™t turn on the AC so when I got back my room was 79 degrees ??? ? and my tank was 84 again.. The hydor theo heater was still on, I never see that thing shut off and itโ€™s set to 77... needless to say I unplugged it and a hour later my tanks down to 82. I contacted DrF&S and too see if I can get credit back on the heater and just replace it with another one. Any suggestions? I have a tetra preset one thatโ€™s a 50w but I think I want to do 25w or lower now. Id like to go no heater too but in the summer when the AC is always on the house sits around 72ish.ย 

ย 

This definitely explains why my gsp has been closed up and my torch and tongue are super sad looking.ย 

ย 

Ps I always keep my fans on in my room because i canโ€™t sleep without them ?ย 

CarolinaShoreReef

Going to dip and move the euphyllia to the lagoon tonightย 

ย 

scratch that, Iโ€™m going to wait until I get them looking good again.ย 

You can buy a cheap temp controller... Ink bird is the name I think on Amazon. Always good to have one of those on every tank.ย 

ย 

ย 

• Like 1
CarolinaShoreReef
19 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

You can buy a cheap temp controller... Ink bird is the name I think on Amazon. Always good to have one of those on every tank.ย 

ย 

ย 

That controls just the heaters power right?ย 

3 minutes ago, CarolinaShoreReef said:

That controls just the heaters power right?ย 

correct

ย 

I wouldn't run no heater, stability is key. Just get one that works correctly or a temp controller (or both!). I'm not sure how long ago you bought it but it should have a warranty through the manufacturer.ย 

ย 

Something to figure out before you try SPS in the 25.ย 

• Like 1
CarolinaShoreReef
45 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

correct

ย 

I wouldn't run no heater, stability is key. Just get one that works correctly or a temp controller (or both!). I'm not sure how long ago you bought it but it should have a warranty through the manufacturer.ย 

ย 

Something to figure out before you try SPS in the 25.ย 

Okay I know a few people with the 5 who donโ€™t have a heater in it. Thereโ€™s already sps in the lagoon but itโ€™s got a really nice aquatop Ti heater,ย I really like it and itโ€™s been really stable. I donโ€™t think I need to worry about it but Iโ€™ll look into getting one of those inkbirds forย the 5. Itโ€™s this one correct?ย 

ย 

B7853030-108E-469E-8171-2457F2DD1492.jpeg

Looks to be it or for 6 bucks more you can hook a fan to the cooling side.

ย 

Heaters are the most unreliable piece of equipment, unfortunately when they go bad, they can also kill everything in the tank :(ย I try to run a controller on every tank just so I have a backup when the heater decides one random day to fry everything. When you start counting the $$$ in the tank as it fills up... a $30 tank saver isn't so bad!

ย 

ย 

• Like 1
CarolinaShoreReef
1 minute ago, Tamberav said:

Looks to be it or for 6 bucks more you can hook a fan to the cooling side.

ย 

Heaters are the most unreliable piece of equipment, unfortunately when they go bad, they can also kill everything in the tank :(ย I try to run a controller on every tank just so I have a backup when the heater decides one random day to fry everything. When you start counting the $$$ in the tank as it fills up... a $30 tank saver isn't so bad!

ย 

ย 

Youโ€™re absolutely right about that. Iโ€™ve got every cost in just this 5g logged from livestock and equipment to water ? lol it all adds up and is definitely worth the $30 on the necessary stuff, at first I was really frugal but now Iโ€™m just at that point where the snowball is rolling really well ?. What kind of fan are we talking here? Iโ€™ve got the overhead fan in my room usually on and the stand up one you plug into a wall turned on too. Thanks again!ย 

A fan aimed at the water on the tank, increasing evaporation will cool the tank if its needed. People use computer fans or clip-on fans. Anything that can be pointed at the water. It can look ghetto but get you through the summer. Have to top off a lot more though!

ย 

I used to put a huge box fan over my sump in hot summers before I had AC. ha... worked great :P

ย 

ย 

68AD3506-orig_zpse212db48.jpg&key=f49fb5

ย 

$7 clip-on :Dย Very high tech ;)

ย 

1dee708d_fans001800x533.jpg

• Like 1
CarolinaShoreReef
43 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

A fan aimed at the water on the tank, increasing evaporation will cool the tank if its needed. People use computer fans or clip-on fans. Anything that can be pointed at the water. It can look ghetto but get you through the summer. Have to top off a lot more though!

ย 

I used to put a huge box fan over my sump in hot summers before I had AC. ha... worked great :P

ย 

ย 

68AD3506-orig_zpse212db48.jpg&key=f49fb5

ย 

$7 clip-on :Dย Very high tech ;)

ย 

1dee708d_fans001800x533.jpg

Hahaha this is too much now ? Thank you though!!ย I have a computer fan from an old current orbit that I'll use with itย since I can probably mount it to the led strip. I'll just need to make it some spacers for proper circulation ...oh and find time to do it lolย ? I'm going to add an ATO first though anyways. Probably sometime next week after all of my tests since I usually treat myself after test week lol.ย 

image.jpeg

• Haha 1
CarolinaShoreReef

Okay so I moved the clowns and yasha goby outย today. Nauti, the TS blenny, is loving the house to himself ? My torch is still looking really sad. My hammer started looking better though and the spawns are all doing good... tongue is still sad looking but thatโ€™s usual after a wc. Zoas have been removed from rocks and dipped. Now on the rack again for easy access. I didnโ€™t see any eggs or other nudi. Iโ€™ll dip for another two weeks and then stop most likely.ย 

192638F2-0ACE-480B-8738-E97499BA6CB7.jpeg

9DCA65B3-3418-4837-A813-08E907DA5233.jpeg

35020ACB-6509-4950-AF4D-5CE1E1439B7E.jpeg

F48694FE-0C7C-4CEC-9E7D-16137FE43FB3.jpeg

CarolinaShoreReef

Does anyone think I should move the torch around? It was happy in that location for the past few weeks. I believe itโ€™s stressed from the temperature fluctuations since everything else is in check. But Iโ€™m not sure what to do with it. I want to move it to the lagoon but I donโ€™t want to dip it until I know itโ€™s healthy again.ย 

13 minutes ago, CarolinaShoreReef said:

Does anyone think I should move the torch around? It was happy in that location for the past few weeks. I believe itโ€™s stressed from the temperature fluctuations since everything else is in check. But Iโ€™m not sure what to do with it. I want to move it to the lagoon but I donโ€™t want to dip it until I know itโ€™s healthy again.ย 

Iโ€™d let it ride until things calm down.ย 

• Like 1
CarolinaShoreReef

Nauti ate today after all of the shenanigans ย and I could tell he wasย happy to get the three pieces of mysis all to himself lol.ย 

ย 

6AE04255-14C9-4B50-9779-550E1DBAC8A2.jpeg

9DC5C1F1-0DA9-4D60-99E4-BEAF54067BE8.jpeg

792A5D1C-DA31-4460-9992-344250F288CB.jpeg