Coral Vue Hydros

Lula Mae's "Jarden" of Enjoyment--dinos :(

Lula_Mae

1 hour ago, seabass said:

I'm guessing they can (if there are dinos on their shell, or in the water that is transferred with them).  Kind of make one a little paranoid, doesn't it?  That's why I chose to QT versus just moving stuff to another tank.

Yep. :scarry:  I think I'll kinda treat this as a hospital/quarantine/treatment tank.  Then go from there lol.  I've ordered another AC30 cuz it was on sale and my AC20 cracked and leaked a while back, some Chemipure Blue, some more Microbacter7....anyone ever try the live phyto and pods method? 

stupid dinos, hopefully you took the right approach to battle them😜. I have dinos as well, not a lot of strings and only a light film on the sand bed. It happened after adding the fish and snail. Can you freshwater/dettol dip a fish (like I did with the corals)?

There are threads on the forums that talk about keeping high nutrient levels to beat dinos- the tendency is to lower them by water changes and such. 

Fresh water dips do help - so does peroxide dosing in the tank. Some livestock doesn't respond well to that but dinos kill everything anyway so I usually think what is there to lose. 

• Like 1
On 5/22/2018 at 7:52 AM, Nelson said:

stupid dinos, hopefully you took the right approach to battle them😜. I have dinos as well, not a lot of strings and only a light film on the sand bed. It happened after adding the fish and snail. Can you freshwater/dettol dip a fish (like I did with the corals)?

Some people will freshwater dip for certain diseases but it is very hard on the fish and not all fish survive.  I'd do a ton of research before resorting to that.

17 hours ago, metrokat said:

There are threads on the forums that talk about keeping high nutrient levels to beat dinos- the tendency is to lower them by water changes and such. 

Fresh water dips do help - so does peroxide dosing in the tank. Some livestock doesn't respond well to that but dinos kill everything anyway so I usually think what is there to lose. 

I'll look around for those. Not sure what to do about my inverts in this tank (hermit, blue CBS, dwarf feather duster, pom pom).  May wait and see if I can beat it out with freshwater or peroxide dips.  Good thing I did hardy corals lol.

25 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

Some people will freshwater dip for certain diseases but it is very hard on the fish and not all fish survive.  I'd do a ton of research before resorting to that.

I'll look around for those. Not sure what to do about my inverts in this tank (hermit, blue CBS, dwarf feather duster, pom pom).  May wait and see if I can beat it out with freshwater or peroxide dips.  Good thing I did hardy corals lol.

can you set up a hospital tank for the inverts? fresh sw and a piece of lr? Dose away at the tank, then transfer back?

14 hours ago, JBM said:

can you set up a hospital tank for the inverts? fresh sw and a piece of lr? Dose away at the tank, then transfer back?

Possibly, if I can find another tank/container to put them in.  I'm running out of picos. :lol:  I've ordered some pods and phyto from AlgaeBarn to see if I can use them to help outcompete the yuck.  So far there is only the lightest coating of possible dinos on the rocks in the new tank and zoas are starting to reopen that have been closed for days or a couple weeks.  Some still need blowing off or brushing off and I do have a cheap paintbrush I may use for that, just to keep them clear.  My ChemiPure Blue and Microbacter7 came today and the AquaClear should be here tomorrow.  Hope I can beat this.  There's a lot of dollars in zoas on that rock lol. :somber:

IMG_20180525_001446507_HDR.thumb.jpg.3ceee3fd93520c80be8fc730c4291229.jpg

A lot of things are starting to open and looking pretty happy, still some dinos but it hasn't been covering them in a matter of a day or two. Aquaclear came today and pods and phyto should be here tomorrow. I am concerned that I don't think the feather duster has come out since the move. :unsure:

7 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

I am concerned that I don't think the feather duster has come out since the move. :unsure:

IDK, maybe you can cut the sides down so there is more flow?

I'm impressed with your progress.  It can be a very frustrating invader.  I hope the pods and phyto help.  It seems counter intuitive, but many report that water changes seem to make it worse.  Keep us informed, and good luck.

Sorry about the dino. I beat it once with repeated blackouts and manual removal and siphoning the water through a sock but replacing the water for the dirty method. Pretty sure I accidently spiked alk/pH when it was weak and that was the final nail in the coffin. 

That was several years ago and I am still using the same rock *crosses fingers*

They have those dino X products though not sure where to buy them.. 😕

On 5/25/2018 at 7:54 AM, seabass said:

IDK, maybe you can cut the sides down so there is more flow?

I'm impressed with your progress.  It can be a very frustrating invader.  I hope the pods and phyto help.  It seems counter intuitive, but many report that water changes seem to make it worse.  Keep us informed, and good luck.

I may try to dig out a piece of rubble from my box from BRS and see if I can't get him to attach to it.  That's how my purple and yellow one got his rock in the 5.5.

It definitely is frustrating, I can only hope that things will work!  I have added a little phyto and some pods, tank is too small to add all at once so I'll have to take out some water lol.  I did experience it worsening after water changes which was what first got me suspecting it wasn't cyano like I originally thought!  It definitely doesn't make sense though lol.

On 5/25/2018 at 9:03 AM, Tamberav said:

Sorry about the dino. I beat it once with repeated blackouts and manual removal and siphoning the water through a sock but replacing the water for the dirty method. Pretty sure I accidently spiked alk/pH when it was weak and that was the final nail in the coffin. 

That was several years ago and I am still using the same rock *crosses fingers*

They have those dino X products though not sure where to buy them.. 😕

I haven't tried a full blackout yet, though I did try lights off a few times when I thought it was cyano.  I don't have a sock but maybe I need to pick one up for this.  I'm hoping to avoid using chemicals unless as a last resort. 

I just finished battling dinos for the 2nd time, here is my recommendations: stop water changes, and either dose hydrogen peroxide or live phytoplankton in the water column. Peroxide works ok, but I really think that live phytoplankton is key. In my opinion blackouts really don't work for dinos. And if you decide to use the product like Dino-x make sure to try to identify the species of dino under a microscope, there are some species it doesn't work on.

10 hours ago, Muffin said:

I just finished battling dinos for the 2nd time, here is my recommendations: stop water changes, and either dose hydrogen peroxide or live phytoplankton in the water column. Peroxide works ok, but I really think that live phytoplankton is key. In my opinion blackouts really don't work for dinos. And if you decide to use the product like Dino-x make sure to try to identify the species of dino under a microscope, there are some species it doesn't work on.

Thanks for the tips. I'm hoping to avoid dosing peroxide especially until I can find somewhere to put my inverts. I do hope the live phyto will be effective!

Orangutran

Sorry to hear about the dinos! Odd that you got it in your pico! I think since it is a pico, your job might be easier! I would get rid of the sand, do a few days of lights out, so that the dino cells go into the water column, then do a 100% water change!! Repeat if needed. Then add some live sand from another tank, to add some critters. That's a shotgun approach, without knowing what kind of dinos you are breeding. 🙂

I can't remember if the phytoplankton will help from my research. Just don't let your tank get too clean. Good luck! 

4 hours ago, Orangutran said:

Sorry to hear about the dinos! Odd that you got it in your pico! I think since it is a pico, your job might be easier! I would get rid of the sand, do a few days of lights out, so that the dino cells go into the water column, then do a 100% water change!! Repeat if needed. Then add some live sand from another tank, to add some critters. That's a shotgun approach, without knowing what kind of dinos you are breeding. 🙂

I can't remember if the phytoplankton will help from my research. Just don't let your tank get too clean. Good luck! 

Thanks for the tips,I might give that a try if I notice they're covering things again. I only have sand in one tank haha, I did make this one barebottom when I moved it from the jar.

3 hours ago, A Little Blue said:

Try OceanMagik. 

That's the live phyto from Algae Barn, right? That's what I'm using. :smilie:

• Like 1
A Little Blue
9 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

Thanks for the tips,I might give that a try if I notice they're covering things again. I only have sand in one tank haha, I did make this one barebottom when I moved it from the jar.

That's the live phyto from Algae Barn, right? That's what I'm using. :smilie:

I didn’t catch that. Yes, basically starving dinos and limit nutrients they can feed off. 

• Like 1
On 6/1/2018 at 3:56 PM, TheRope said:

@Lula_Mae i checked out the photos a page or so back, your little jar is looking incredible! Love the soft corals very much 🙂

Thanks, it looked pretty great till the dinos took over and started smothering things. :sad: Everything is now in a little glass rectangular tank to try to save it.

• Wow 1
12 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

Thanks, it looked pretty great till the dinos took over and started smothering things. :sad: Everything is now in a little glass rectangular tank to try to save it.

Oh my im so sorry! Have you tried peroxyde? 

On 6/3/2018 at 11:49 AM, TheRope said:

Oh my im so sorry! Have you tried peroxyde? 

Not yet, worried about the stress to my zoas. Plus I can't dip the inverts so there's the risk they'd come back. 

On 6/3/2018 at 11:57 AM, teenyreef said:

Have you seen any signs of them coming back in the new tank? So frustrating 😟

I did notice them slowly coming back. I actually moved it all into a slightly larger tank so the top zoas were more than a quarter inch below the water line lol. Haven't turned on the light yet to see if they really will, but still using bacteria and live phyto. Will probably try lights on for a couple days and see if full blackout is needed. 

On 6/6/2018 at 12:19 PM, TheRope said:

@Lula_Mae ive dipped my zoas directly in peroxide haha, im a peroxide maniac (there is a viable method though to dipping zoas) 

I have gsp and a digi too lol. 

• Like 1

Sorry to read your troubles. After battling cyano, I am convinced that  large water changes of more than 50 percent  weekly are the cause of  cyano.  I think when we do it so often I it causes an imbalance so that opportunistic bacteria can take over.  It's the opposite of green algae in a dirty tank.   I hope your phyto plan works out.