inTank Media Baskets

Lula Mae's "Jarden" of Enjoyment--dinos :(

Lula_Mae

On 6/9/2018 at 10:30 AM, TheRope said:

Hmmmmmm are the dinos on the digi?

Yep.  :sad: Not yet to the point of causing it to close up like the zoas. Dinos are on everything, really. 

On 6/9/2018 at 6:53 PM, MarieH said:

Sorry to read your troubles. After battling cyano, I am convinced that  large water changes of more than 50 percent  weekly are the cause of  cyano.  I think when we do it so often I it causes an imbalance so that opportunistic bacteria can take over.  It's the opposite of green algae in a dirty tank.   I hope your phyto plan works out.  

Interesting theory, seems like cyano can result from either too big or too small/not enough water changes! I wonder if it might be different bacteria species in each case?

On 6/9/2018 at 5:53 PM, MarieH said:

After battling cyano, I am convinced that  large water changes of more than 50 percent  weekly are the cause of  cyano.  I think when we do it so often I it causes an imbalance so that opportunistic bacteria can take over.

I have also read that bacterial imbalances can be a cause, and dosing bacteria cultures can help.  But as far as large water changes go, they might also supply an element that was previously limiting, or they may even cause a swing in one or more parameters (like dissolved oxygen, pH, water pigmentation, temperature, etc) that might favor cyano.  So maybe bacteria, but quite possibly something else.

The same might be true of dinos. IDK.

• Like 4
13 hours ago, seabass said:

I have also read that bacterial imbalances can be a cause, and dosing bacteria cultures can help.  But as far as large water changes go, they might also supply an element that was previously limiting, or they may even cause a swing in one or more parameters (like dissolved oxygen, pH, water pigmentation, temperature, etc) that might favor cyano.  So maybe bacteria, but quite possibly something else.

The same might be true of dinos. IDK.

It's crazy how much of this hobby is basically "make it up as you go along." :lol: I haven't paid much attention to this tank the last few days cuz of working so hopefully tomorrow I can take a good look at it and decide what to do next.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
10 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

It's crazy how much of this hobby is basically "make it up as you go along." :lol: I haven't paid much attention to this tank the last few days cuz of working so hopefully tomorrow I can take a good look at it and decide what to do next.

too true!  I've never learned so much or aggravated so much or enjoyed so much as this saltwater hobby!  Do not give in!  Cheers.

• Like 3