Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Killer frogspawn is still acting up,?!  Its reach is phenomenol.  I am going to move it slightly lower where I am hopeful that it wont impact anything.  It will be close to the hammer but years ago when I had the 2 mother colonies they coexisted well together.  The only other coral it possibly might reach is the xenia but I am hoping the flow will carry it away from the xenia.

• Wow 1
19 minutes ago, Pjanssen said:

nothing kills xenia :angry:

It's been awhile since I've kept it.  But I seem to remember it being more sensitive to hydrogen peroxide than other corals.  Sorry, I can't remember a lot of details.

• Like 1
On 1/4/2018 at 9:42 AM, vlangel said:

Second I inadvertantly tried to kill the reef jar this morning.  I had mysis juice left from feeding the ponies last night so I added some bbs and rotifer to it and poured it in.  A half hour later everything was closed up tighter than a drum.  Oops, I guess the mysis juice must have had a fair amount of ammonia, (or thats my guess anyhow).  Note to self, only fresh mysis juice goes into reef jar!  Everything is opening back up now.

That's interesting.  Was the leftover mysis refrigerated or had it been sitting out overnight?  

Latest pic of jar is :wub:.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Pjanssen said:

nothing kills xenia :angry:

I am counting on the xenia to be able to stick up for itself against killer frogspawn.  This morning I redirected the pump flow and the frogspawn is not as close to touching my yellow green candycane as last night so maybe I will not have to move it after all, especiall if the xenia holds its own.

50 minutes ago, seabass said:

It's been awhile since I've kept it.  But I seem to remember it being more sensitive to hydrogen peroxide than other corals.  Sorry, I can't remember a lot of details.

I am not wanting to kill the xenia but if it starts taking over that is a thought to try and control it.

53 minutes ago, gena said:

That's interesting.  Was the leftover mysis refrigerated or had it been sitting out overnight?  

Latest pic of jar is :wub:.

Yes, I am ashamed to admit it but the mysis juice was left out overnight.  Sometimes during busy days the ponies do not get their 2nd feeding until right before my bedtime and I do forget to rinse the feeding container.

Thanks gena for the kind sentiment about my jar.  When friends come to the house and say my jar is so awesome I pull yours up on my tablet to show them awesome!

• Thanks 1
10 hours ago, vlangel said:

Killer frogspawn is still acting up,?!  Its reach is phenomenol.  I am going to move it slightly lower where I am hopeful that it wont impact anything.  It will be close to the hammer but years ago when I had the 2 mother colonies they coexisted well together.  The only other coral it possibly might reach is the xenia but I am hoping the flow will carry it away from the xenia.

When Natalia (I think it was) had some corals being aggressive, I think it was Brandon who recommended a clear piece of plastic (I think he specifically referenced the clear stuff you get like in battery packs, if that makes sense) glued as a screen between the aggressive coral and the others to keep them safe (I think her misbehaving coral was a euphyllia too!).  Check out her original bowl thread, I think it was maybe spring/summer when that was recommended, and see if you can find it, if you feel the need to do something further.  I don't know why I didn't remember this earlier!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
22 hours ago, vlangel said:

Yes, I am ashamed to admit it but the mysis juice was left out overnight.  Sometimes during busy days the ponies do not get their 2nd feeding until right before my bedtime and I do forget to rinse the feeding container.

Thanks gena for the kind sentiment about my jar.  When friends come to the house and say my jar is so awesome I pull yours up on my tablet to show them awesome!

The nice thing is if something like that happens you can easily correct it...just a 100% water change :).  And thank you for the compliment :D.

• Like 1

Your jar looks wonderful.

If they xenia get out of hand, just pull pieces off the rock with tweezers.

I do this in my 10g. I grip the stalk tightly close to the rock and pull the xenia right off. Works well. 

• Thanks 1
18 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

When Natalia (I think it was) had some corals being aggressive, I think it was Brandon who recommended a clear piece of plastic (I think he specifically referenced the clear stuff you get like in battery packs, if that makes sense) glued as a screen between the aggressive coral and the others to keep them safe (I think her misbehaving coral was a euphyllia too!).  Check out her original bowl thread, I think it was maybe spring/summer when that was recommended, and see if you can find it, if you feel the need to do something further.  I don't know why I didn't remember this earlier!

Thanks lula, I think I will try that.  I think I do remember reading that in natalia's thread now that you mention it.

• Like 1
58 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Your jar looks wonderful.

If they xenia get out of hand, just pull pieces off the rock with tweezers.

I do this in my 10g. I grip the stalk tightly close to the rock and pull the xenia right off. Works well. 

Thanks Clown79, that is very kind of you to say.  I will remember that in regards to my xenia in case it turns rogue.

19 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

The clear piece of plastic has been epoxied into place.  I think that might do the trick, especially in protecting my yellow green candycane.

• Like 3
23 minutes ago, vlangel said:

The clear piece of plastic has been epoxied into place.  I think that might do the trick, especially in protecting my yellow green candycane.

Hope it helps! The little frogspawn in my 5.5 has been a model citizen so it's interesting to see one that isn't!

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Lula_Mae said:

Hope it helps! The little frogspawn in my 5.5 has been a model citizen so it's interesting to see one that isn't!

Its probably my own fault for putting the coral so close together.  I have had a lot of coral make peace with each other and since real estate is a premium in the jar, I decided to put them close and hope for the best which would be less room for nuisance algae too.  So much for the best laid plans.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, vlangel said:

can you get a picture of this?

• Like 1
8 hours ago, vlangel said:

Its probably my own fault for putting the coral so close together.  I have had a lot of coral make peace with each other and since real estate is a premium in the jar, I decided to put them close and hope for the best which would be less room for nuisance algae too.  So much for the best laid plans.

And sometimes they get along just fine even in tight quarters so it was worth a shot!

• Like 1

I think Killer Frogspawn just wants the tank all to himself.  He’s like coral blob taking over the city!   

In all seriousness, great looking tank!!!  I love the variety and the ability to remove, clean and replace.  Tank has a beautiful aesthetic.

• Haha 1
15 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

And sometimes they get along just fine even in tight quarters so it was worth a shot!

Hopefully everything else gets along ok.  I am keeping my fingers crossed!

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, dmw913 said:

I think Killer Frogspawn just wants the tank all to himself.  He’s like coral blob taking over the city!   

In all seriousness, great looking tank!!!  I love the variety and the ability to remove, clean and replace.  Tank has a beautiful aesthetic.

That is it...Killer Frogspawn is really Greedy Frogspawn or Hermit Frogspawn in disguise!  He really does just want the whole jar to himself.  Maybe he will be happier when the contest is over and I move everything into the 5.5 gallon.

Thanks Denise.  The removable aspect was what I was going for when I made the final scape.  I just underestimated the difficulty of doing that with coral on the rock.  Its easy enough now while they are small but will get increaingly difficult as the coral grow.  It should not be a problem at all in the 5.5 gallon.  I am really happy with the sloped look of the scape and I appreciate your words of affirmation.