Pod Your Reef

On 14/02/2018 at 7:35 AM, vlangel said:

Thanks Clown.  I really miss my pom pom and the red fiddler too.  I am just afraid of adding anymore creatures like that to the jar.  Target feeding is hard with so much rock and coral.  I will reconsider when I move everything into the 5.5 AIO.

A pom pom should be fine. I never target feed mine. They scatter for food as soon as you add it in.

Your tank looks great.

It should be fine in natural sunlight. 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Rene said:

Fingers crossed!  I think with that kind of sun exposure, you should be good for a couple of days!

I checked on it this morning Rene and everything looks pretty good.  As long as that bulb arrives next week I think I will be fine.

6 hours ago, Clown79 said:

A pom pom should be fine. I never target feed mine. They scatter for food as soon as you add it in.

Your tank looks great.

It should be fine in natural sunlight. 

Thank you Clown79.  I am still amazed that you can keep a tiny mini reef in a jar with so little equipment and have them look so nice.

I had found a molt from the crab and had thought it had died.  However about 2 weeks ago I saw the pom pom crab out so I guess he (his name is Cheerleader) is fine.  The ghosties I put in the tank are also doing well.

I checked on the jar this morning and everything looks good.  Its only ambient light (since its overcast and the sun is not shining in the window) and we aren't expecting much sun here in Pennslyvania for the next several days but I still think it will still be ok.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, vlangel said:

Thank you Clown79.  I am still amazed that you can keep a tiny mini reef in a jar with so little equipment and have them look so nice.

I had found a molt from the crab and had thought it had died.  However about 2 weeks ago I saw the pom pom crab out so I guess he (his name is Cheerleader) is fine.  The ghosties I put in the tank are also doing well.

I checked on the jar this morning and everything looks good.  Its only ambient light (since its overcast and the sun is not shining in the window) and we aren't expecting much sun here in Pennslyvania for the next several days but I still think it will still be ok.

Oh, that's great.

They like to hide a lot. 

We haven't seen the sun here either. Been gloomy! 

The tank should be fine.

It is amazing what can be done in a jar. It's been an interesting project.

• Like 2

The contest is coming to a close!  March 31st will be the official end of the competition and then the voting will begin.  In order to help the community decide what tanks to vote for, each remaining contestant will need to do the following:

1. PM me three (3) final photos that you think summarize your container reef.  The composition for two of these is up to you, but one of them should be a final FTS taken sometime during the month of March.
  2. PM me a written summary of your container reef build and experiences throughout the competition.  This should be no more than 250 words.
  3. These items must be private messaged to me by midnight (Pacific Standard Time) on March 31st.
  • Like 1
On 3/13/2018 at 12:55 PM, vlangel said:

Today I am hoping my new par bulb arrives.  We had 3 straight days of sunshine so the jar looks great and no worse for wear.

My husband checked on my par bulb yesterday.  It had a tracking # but was not showing up anywhere.  Today it finally showed up at the shipping facility in Indianapolis.  Indianopolis is where we purchased it from.  Someone apparently dropped the ball which is disappointing.  I had moved the jar back to its spot next to the seahorse tank in anticipation of its arrival.  I guess I need to move it back in front of the window because it is not going to be here until Saturday or Monday.

• Sad 2
  • Wow 3

Today the par bulb arrived in Pittsburgh so I am optimistic that it will arrive tomorrow.  I won't move the jar back til the bulb arrives.

• Like 1
On 3/14/2018 at 9:23 PM, vlangel said:

My husband checked on my par bulb yesterday.  It had a tracking # but was not showing up anywhere.  Today it finally showed up at the shipping facility in Indianapolis.  Indianopolis is where we purchased it from.  Someone apparently dropped the ball which is disappointing.  I had moved the jar back to its spot next to the seahorse tank in anticipation of its arrival.  I guess I need to move it back in front of the window because it is not going to be here until Saturday or Monday.

How aggravating! I hate when that kind of thing happens. I just got a spray bottle of a liquid hair product from Amazon...in a thin padded envelope they normally use for books.  There's liquid in the bag it's in, not sure if it's leaking, but I am annoyed either way lol.  Jar looks wonderful!  And pom poms are so cryptic and their molts so convincing!  Of course my little blue coral banded shrimp had molts that convinced my hubby he was dead back before he started coming out more lol.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

How aggravating! I hate when that kind of thing happens. I just got a spray bottle of a liquid hair product from Amazon...in a thin padded envelope they normally use for books.  There's liquid in the bag it's in, not sure if it's leaking, but I am annoyed either way lol.  Jar looks wonderful!  And pom poms are so cryptic and their molts so convincing!  Of course my little blue coral banded shrimp had molts that convinced my hubby he was dead back before he started coming out more lol.

It is aggravating.  This morning instead of coming north from Pittsburgh, it was sent south east, Uhhg!  I could have gotten it today but I doubt that's going to happen now. :-(

• Sad 2
9 minutes ago, Rene said:

That is so frustrating!  I have had livestock get lost in the mail before, having shipments delayed is a real bummer :(

Of course this is not near as bad as livestock, and my bulb did arrive this afternoon.  Even though the jar was without a light for 10 days it did not suffer too much.  

The new coral compulsion bulb is much more blue but I expected that from everyone else's description.  It will grow coral so I can live with it.

• Like 5

I saw Cheerleader right out front and he had either frogspawn or hammer in his left claw.  The feeder shrimp kept wafting by as well.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, RIP Sebastian said:

That 5.5 looks great!

Thanks Nick, it is a cute little clean tank but the glass is not as sharp as I would like.  I will be moving the coral rock from the reef jar into it at the end of the contest.

Thought someone on the forum said there was a filter, either on instagram or flickr, doing the job very well (filtering out the blues) Maybe you can try? Either way, your jar looks great! Didn’t know about the pom pom

• Like 1

I too have been struggling with pictures. Silly IOS phone. Never had this problem with a Android. 

I just play play with the various temperatures until the coral looks close enough. Sadly the rest of the picture looks fugly. 

Btw. I'm really digging the natural look of the 5.5g. Very simple, yet elegant. 

Oh, and your jar is inspiring too. ?

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Nelson said:

Thought someone on the forum said there was a filter, either on instagram or flickr, doing the job very well (filtering out the blues) Maybe you can try? Either way, your jar looks great! Didn’t know about the pom pom

Thanks Nelson, I will try to look into the filter.  I kind of remember seeing that somewhere too.

Thanks for the kind words about my jar too.  Ha ha, yeah I had declared the pom pom crab deceased twice because I never saw it and I mistakenly thought a molt was Cheerleader's little dead body once, LOL.  Imagine my surprise when I saw him front and center waving a tiny euphillia in his claw?  I think he is finally getting less reclusive.

1 hour ago, JBM said:

I too have been struggling with pictures. Silly IOS phone. Never had this problem with a Android. 

I just play play with the various temperatures until the coral looks close enough. Sadly the rest of the picture looks fugly. 

Btw. I'm really digging the natural look of the 5.5g. Very simple, yet elegant. 

Oh, and your jar is inspiring too. ?

Hi JBM!  Its a challenge for sure when the bulb has so much blue in it.  My 1st bulb was a cheap par 38 bulb made in china.  It only lasted for 5 months but it was much whiter and the photos looked just like the jar and coral.  This coral compulsion bulb is warranted for 3 years and was only $5 more than the cheap bulb.  Ya can't have everything, I guess.

Ahh, thank you for the kind words about the 5.5g.  I added that fake back wall with compartments to make it a clean looking aio.  I also painted the compartment portion black to again make it look cleaner. I was disappointed in the clarity of the glass the 1st day but it turns out that that was just because the sand wasn't settled.  Yesterday the view into the tank was sharp.  I am really happy with it.  Someday I may keep dwarf seahorses in it.

Thank you also for the kind words about the jar.  I never dreamed it could look so nice with just simple common coral and so little work.