Coral Vue Hydros

Wow Dawn, I have missed a lot!  I had a wall Frogspawn in my 46 bowfront that could reach up over a foot to kill an acan.    Brutal!  So far I haven't seen anything as bad with the branching types.    I have a lot of catching up to do, I hope all is well!

• Like 1
46 minutes ago, vlangel said:

Thanks rope, I might just do that!

Im doin it with my hammer the second i reciece my mags :) they like it there too because theres some really decent flow on our glass 

55 minutes ago, Pjanssen said:

not that it really matters, but your corky finger looks more like a knobby sea rod to me. It all looks great though. :wub:

Ha ha, I do not know my gorgonians all that well so I could be wrong,

but the mother gorg looks a lot different.

Thanks, I am pretty happy with the overall look.

58 minutes ago, fishfreak0114 said:

There's so much life crammed in there!  Is the leptastrea the yellow thing?

Again fishfreak, I might have the id wrong but am calling the leptastrea the orange-ish polyps with brown rims.  Its between the blasto, the rose coral and the purple photosynthetic sponge on the coco worm tube.

And yeah, I did cram a lot of life in that jar...maybe too much life.  I will just have to see how things grow.

40 minutes ago, markalot said:

Wow Dawn, I have missed a lot!  I had a wall Frogspawn in my 46 bowfront that could reach up over a foot to kill an acan.    Brutal!  So far I haven't seen anything as bad with the branching types.    I have a lot of catching up to do, I hope all is well!

Uhhhg Mark, that is not what I wanted to hear, ha ha!  Actually its ok because I plan to move these coral into a little 5.5 gallon AGA tank that actually will house feeder shrimp for the ponies.  Just so killer frogspawn holds off until the contest is over.

BTW, Happy New Year!

On 20/12/2017 at 9:00 PM, tanacharison said:

Right on Adam rocks!  He’s building my new tank.  I’m thinking about fragging some corals out of the main tank for the Pico but the lights are so different I’m afraid it will be a epic failure. 

Get the abi tuna blue par 38 you wont have a problem growing anything. All my corals are vibrant in my jar and i have 4 sps frags in there doing incredibly well

2 minutes ago, fishfreak0114 said:

I really like it!  I've looked at a few leptastrea's before, but never bought one.

1 minute ago, Pjanssen said:

I've killed a couple :tears:

This one was given to me by a club member and it has flourished since I moved it into the jar.  Maybe the seahorse tank was too cool.

• Like 2
RIP Sebastian

Hi Dawn,

The jar looks great! I do have a quick question. A few weeks ago I think I asked you about some missing flesh on my gorgonian. Anyway, the flesh has continued to recede. Any thoughts as to what I should do?

Thanks!

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, RIP Sebastian said:

Hi Dawn,

The jar looks great! I do have a quick question. A few weeks ago I think I asked you about some missing flesh on my gorgonian. Anyway, the flesh has continued to recede. Any thoughts as to what I should do?

Thanks!

cut off if you can

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, RIP Sebastian said:

Hi Dawn,

Thanks!

Thanks Nick.  I am not really all that knowledgeable on gorgs.  I know photosynthetic gorgonians are easier. NPS gorg must be fed.  If its a photosynthetic gorg however, then I would try a probiotic in the water in case its infection.  That wont hurt anything and possibly could help.  They like fairly strong flow too.

• Like 1

A couple new updates on the reef jar.  The first is killer frogspawn still was not behaving and was stinging my merletti on its underside.  I have moved it again to the far right.  I hated to put it on the same side as the hammer since they are both green but I don't have much space left that can accommodate the frogspawn.  Now the pump is back where it originally was.

Second I inadvertantly tried to kill the reef jar this morning.  I had mysis juice left from feeding the ponies last night so I added some bbs and rotifer to it and poured it in.  A half hour later everything was closed up tighter than a drum.  Oops, I guess the mysis juice must have had a fair amount of ammonia, (or thats my guess anyhow).  Note to self, only fresh mysis juice goes into reef jar!  Everything is opening back up now.

6 hours ago, RIP Sebastian said:

It's a good thing you caught that! I sure wouldn't have.

Of course I was the cause!

2018-01-04_07-10-46

You still can't miss killer frogspawn but I don't think it can reach anything.  I went to a lfs and traded some macros I pruned for 2 candycane frags and an orange coral.

• Like 8
5 minutes ago, Pjanssen said:

your frogspawn and hammer look fine together-different shades of green work together. It all looks great but where are all of the shrimp in this "shrimp chalet"?

Excellent question Penny!  I tried a couple peppermint shrimp but they were robbing food from the coral.  Originally this was to be an attractive feeder shrimp holder until...sshhh you know, when they would go to their intended destination.  Unfortunately, its too small.  So I am woking on a diy aio 5.5 gallon I have to take over the role when the contest ends. I think I can remove my rock and coral and all and just place it in the 5.5.

20180104_112218

Here is what I have so far.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
tanacharison

The 5.5 looks like a fun project! With all the close placement in the pico it will be neat to see all the corals grow over each other. I finally started to see it in my display and I swear they change color and growth patterns when everyone's connected together.

• Like 2
6 hours ago, vlangel said:

Excellent question Penny!  I tried a couple peppermint shrimp but they were robbing food from the coral.  Originally this was to be an attractive feeder shrimp holder until...sshhh you know, when they would go to their intended destination.  Unfortunately, its too small.  So I am woking on a diy aio 5.5 gallon I have to take over the role when the contest ends. I think I can remove my rock and coral and all and just place it in the 5.5.

20180104_112218

Here is what I have so far.

Looks good, but be careful with that cardboard. I'm sot sure how well it will hold up under saltwater... ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

With the new coral I got yesterday I decided to rearrange the coral placement yet again...hopefully for the last time, (especially since I secure them with JB Water Weld!).  I am loving the new placement as I was able to give some of the nicer coral more prominent areas of the scape.

To do a deep clean after last night's heavy feeding, I decided to see if I could remove the rockwork with the attached coral.  Much to my pleasure I was able to do that.  I just place the rockwork in a clean  empty 5 gallon salt bucket while I scrubbed down the jar.  Then I replace the rockwork and coral and add new salt water.  The jar looks pristine now.  I will take a pic when the coral get over the trauma of being relocated.

• Like 5