inTank Media Baskets

Thunder Goose
3 hours ago, Pjanssen said:

Love the crab and his name. When I play tennis and make a really bad shot a yell that out in lieu of a different "F" word :P

I use duck as a substitute swear word. It's got that satisfying glottal stop at the end.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
7 hours ago, Pjanssen said:

Love the crab and his name. When I play tennis and make a really bad shot a yell that out in lieu of a different "F" word :P

I would say that is probably a wise choice considering there might be children listening.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, TheRope said:

Woah never thought we could use fiddlers in our type of salt aquariums, i always thought their salt was at 1.010 and that they were semi terrestrial

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1146397

Hhmm, I asked what the salinity was in the tank they were in and it was normal full saltwater.  They were with emerald crabs.  I asked about aggression and I was told that they were not very aggressive.  We'll see.

7 hours ago, WV Reefer said:

Crab Shack sounds like somewhere I’d like to eat! Yum!

:o:P

Ha ha, yeah me too!

• Like 1
2 hours ago, fishfreak0114 said:

Fiddlesticks :wub: 

My hubby gets the credit.  I love to take a pic but he is tucked back in a rock cave beside the pump where he's not very visible.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, vlangel said:

My hubby gets the credit.  I love to take a pic but he is tucked back in a rock cave beside the pump where he's not very visible.

2018-01-21_06-07-24

Its not great picture wise but you can see what a nice bright red Fiddlestick's is.

• Like 7

Love the fiddler crab! I remember keeping freshwater versions when I was a kid. And then there were the fiddler crabs living amongst the mangroves in the Caribbean, those were awesome! (not red like yours) Do you have space to place a rock above water, and see if it comes up? 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Orangutran said:

Love the fiddler crab! I remember keeping freshwater versions when I was a kid. And then there were the fiddler crabs living amongst the mangroves in the Caribbean, those were awesome! (not red like yours) Do you have space to place a rock above water, and see if it comes up? 

If it wanted to climb up the rock it could climb onto the coco worm tube and be out of the water if it chose to be.  None of the fiddlers had that choice at the lfs so I am thinking that it probably will not do that.  Actually today he has moved and although he is a reasonable sized crab (almost the diameter of a quarter) I can't find him.  Seems to be my lot in life.

• Haha 1

Today I did a 100% WC and I had hoped to get a sighting of Fiddlesticks, which I did!  It was only a part of him and he was between the hammer coral and the palys tucked down into a hole in the rock.  There is nothing else in the jar reef with that vibrant red which is how I know it was him even though I could only see a little of him.

A surprise that I did not expect to see is legs that looked like Cheerleader's.  I guess it could be a brittle star legs but it did not move like one, but instead was stiff like crab legs.  Do pom pom crabs molt?  Maybe what I saw stuck to the pump intake was a molt!  It would be awesome if Cheerleader is still in there alive and well.

• Like 4
19 minutes ago, vlangel said:

Do pom pom crabs molt?

They sure do.  Then it would hide as its exoskeleton hardened.  Not sure what they do with their anemones during the process.  I assume they just grab them from their old molt.

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
5 minutes ago, seabass said:

They sure do.  Then it would hide as its exoskeleton hardened.  Not sure what they do with their anemones during the process.  I assume they just grab them from their old molt.

O boy, I am feeling like there is a good chance that is what happened.  Keeping my fingers crossed. ?

• Like 4
2 hours ago, vlangel said:

Today I did a 100% WC and I had hoped to get a sighting of Fiddlesticks, which I did!  It was only a part of him and he was between the hammer coral and the palys tucked down into a hole in the rock.  There is nothing else in the jar reef with that vibrant red which is how I know it was him even though I could only see a little of him.

A surprise that I did not expect to see is legs that looked like Cheerleader's.  I guess it could be a brittle star legs but it did not move like one, but instead was stiff like crab legs.  Do pom pom crabs molt?  Maybe what I saw stuck to the pump intake was a molt!  It would be awesome if Cheerleader is still in there alive and well.

They sure do! And the molts can be very convincing lol. Sometimes they lose their nems, sadly but it's always nice to see the crabs again!

• Like 3
3 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

They sure do! And the molts can be very convincing lol. Sometimes they lose their nems, sadly but it's always nice to see the crabs again!

That is so good to know because I think that is what happened, which makes me happy. ?

• Like 1

Last night a friend from our local club asked me to take pics of my reef jar.  I decided that I might as well show them here too.

2018-01-26_06-44-10

Everything is growing nicely and filling in the gaps.

2018-01-26_06-35-08

Top down view. You can see the rose coral is healing.?

2018-01-26_06-36-54

The fullest area of the jar and my favorite part.

2018-01-26_06-37-15

I really like these neon trumpets.  They haven't started any new heads but they are nice and puffy.  I am pleased how well the corky finger gorg is doing in this jar too.  I just wasn't sure how it would do.

2018-01-26_06-37-34

The zoas are doing pretty good as is that tiny mushroom above them.  The encrusting gorg at the top left has never opened.  It has algae on it which is probably the problem.  The blasto at the top and center is doing well and you can see small heads starting.

2018-01-26_06-38-45

The friend who asked me to take pics gave me this frag.  It reminds me of a mandarine orange but I have no idea what it is. I see some pearling in this pic so I will be peroxiding these coral and halymeda macro when I do a WC.

• Like 6

I did my bi-weekly WC in preparation of January's FJS.  And guess who was top and center?

2018-01-28_04-07-40

Fiddlesticks!  He was just out for a stroll and I hated to disturb him by doing the WC.  The margarita snail was also out and about.  I looked for Cheerleader, the pom pom crab but did not see him.  

I removed some bubble algae and then peroxided that area along with the places at the bottom of the jar where I saw bubbles that I thought was pearling.  Other than that and a tiny amount of film algae on the jar that was it for algae.  I added a piece of cabbage leather that I retrieved from my seahorse sump.  There was an empty place at the bottom of the rock that was crying for a low light coral and since the cabbage was free, it fit the bill.  In general I am loving how this jar is turning out.  What an amazing way to reef.

• Like 7

I am going out of town next week so ordered grass shrimp for the seahorses.  I decided to see how the 5.5 gallon worked for the shrimp.

2018-01-28_04-41-45

I am very happy with the flow and the open airline tube that creates good surface agitation.  One problem I am encountering is shrimp are going over the overflow.  I have a carbon pad and floss in that chamber so it keeps most of them out of the return chamber where the pump is. I just need to put a screen behind the teeth to block the shrimp from going over.

2018-01-28_04-43-03

I have room to run the water even a little higher so evaporation is not really too much of a problem although I could cover the display area because jumping shrimp is a slight problem, ha ha!?  I am still going to paint the bottom.  Do you think that I should paint the chamber portion too for a cleaner look, so that you do not see pumps and such?

• Like 4
8 hours ago, dmw913 said:

That 5.5 is looking fantastic.  Such a great DIY project!  

Your pico is rockin' too!  Well done!

D

Thanks Denise.  I am having such a good time with this project and contest.  I have been so limited with the coral I keep in the seahorse tank, so it has really been fun keeping some of my favorite stinging coral.  Its the same with the crabs, which also are not recommended in seahorse tanks.  I can have multiple reefs without all the work one gets with MTS.

15 hours ago, vlangel said:

Thanks Denise.  I am having such a good time with this project and contest.  I have been so limited with the coral I keep in the seahorse tank, so it has really been fun keeping some of my favorite stinging coral.  Its the same with the crabs, which also are not recommended in seahorse tanks.  I can have multiple reefs without all the work one gets with MTS.

Amen.  And for me, the fun is the completely different way I keep and maintain the pico in comparison to my main display.  The other really fun experiment is fragging from the main and seeing what happens in the pico.  For example, I have a piece of acro that is blue in the main and green in the pico even though they are both lit by AI lights and use the same water and run essentially the same program.  

• Like 2
8 hours ago, dmw913 said:

Amen.  And for me, the fun is the completely different way I keep and maintain the pico in comparison to my main display.  The other really fun experiment is fragging from the main and seeing what happens in the pico.  For example, I have a piece of acro that is blue in the main and green in the pico even though they are both lit by AI lights and use the same water and run essentially the same program.  

I too am enjoying the different methodology of keeping a small pico versus a bigger display tank.

Thats cool about the color variation.  I have not noticed that and a lot of my coral came from my seahorse display as well.  Maybe it has to do with how close the light is?

2018-01-30_01-33-53

My January FJS.  You can see the new cabbage in the lower left of the rock. That pretty much fills up the jar!  So the only thing left to do is grow!

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

Looking incredible as always. Im in love with fiddlesticks! Hes a great addition! Have you though of adding a porcelain of sorts or maybe one of those super cool harlequin swimming crabs?

• Like 1