Cultivated Reef

Rory's fusion 10: now rocking a reefled 50

Rory282

Update: tank is doing great! Just tested everything today.

NO2: 0

NO3: 0

NH3/NH4: 0

It’s my daughters birthday on friday. You guys and girls think the tank is ready for some fish? I’ve got my eye on a maited pare of clownfish. 

7E7A4C3B-DCA1-4AAC-BD23-5D1331E26F0A.thumb.jpeg.98c71049b7dbe98c701d94fa308f5373.jpeg

12CB54F3-10EB-4FA9-A633-27B1B03553B4.thumb.jpeg.bbe17b31c0993078f4c5b25b7262be5d.jpeg

3AC97AD8-DB14-4F86-BE9B-CCF842C6FC3D.thumb.jpeg.a7e596e9c0916c52422d78b2ced58ee3.jpeg

• Like 2

So today is my little girls birthday. 

This is a part of her gift, meet X and O

7CE1527E-4E2A-4277-BC32-4FF3E28FD7D1.thumb.jpeg.462ab6b797328c87de0f6d33b76cae7b.jpeg

It’s a pair of percula fancy black clownfish. Welcome home x and o.

I know we need better names :D

• Like 2

Looks great, and I love the new clown fish! The fact that your zoas are doing well is a good sign. And the rocks look like they already have coralline on them, or maybe some kind of encrusting coral? Did you say they were dry rocks?

• Like 1
Just now, teenyreef said:

Looks great, and I love the new clown fish! The fact that your zoas are doing well is a good sign. And the rocks look like they already have coralline on them, or maybe some kind of encrusting coral? Did you say they were dry rocks?

Thanks Teeny! Yes the rocks are dry rocks. They actually make them to look as natural as possible with fake coraline and encrusting coral look. I liked it the minute i saw them. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Long time no update... I had a major setback.

You can call it clownfish horror :(. My beautiful mated clownfish pair had brooklynella. I lost the big one after one week. The little one got hit by the mp10 after day 3 in the tank but managed to survive it. He had a big wound on his head but was eating good and was always swimming around. Sadly he died yesterday.

The zoa coral is still doing great. Going to leave the tank fishless for a while and just add a small torch coral that i got from a colleague.

Really sad i lost my two clownfish so quickly... :(

• Sad 1
18 minutes ago, Rory282 said:

Long time no update... I had a major setback.

You can call it clownfish horror :(. My beautiful mated clownfish pair had brooklynella. I lost the big one after one week. The little one got hit by the mp10 after day 3 in the tank but managed to survive it. He had a big wound on his head but was eating good and was always swimming around. Sadly he died yesterday.

The zoa coral is still doing great. Going to leave the tank fishless for a while and just add a small torch coral that i got from a colleague.

Really sad i lost my two clownfish so quickly... :(

Ugh! No! That's so sad to hear! 

Brooklynella is something that can stay in your tank. You should go fishless for a few weeks (6-8) until it completely dies off. :( 

I am sorry you lost your fish :( Definitely go fishless for awhile. What I have done is have the LFS order ORA clownfish (or other captive bred fish) and tell them to leave them in the bag and call ASAP and I will pick them up. This way they don't get exposed to wild fish. I have also bought fish directly from breeders. 

On 2/19/2018 at 9:27 AM, kimberbee said:

Brooklynella is something that can stay in your tank. You should go fishless for a few weeks (6-8) until it completely dies off. :( 

This. 

I'm in the same boat.  Going fishless is pretty boring too tbh. Sorry man. 

• Like 1
On ‎19‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 4:27 PM, kimberbee said:

Will do Kimber... I am absolutely gutted :(.

On ‎19‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 4:32 PM, Tamberav said:

I am sorry you lost your fish :( Definitely go fishless for awhile. What I have done is have the LFS order ORA clownfish (or other captive bred fish) and tell them to leave them in the bag and call ASAP and I will pick them up. This way they don't get exposed to wild fish. I have also bought fish directly from breeders. 

Thanks Tamberav, the fish i got were tank raised. The problem is the lfs i got them from has one big coral island (it holds al the wild caught fish too) and several small tanks that are connected to the main tank. So acutally it's one big system. So every tank raised fish is exposed to diseases from the wild caught fish (even though wild caught fish are in small quarantine buckets the first 2 weeks). I know not the smartest idea from my lfs... :(

16 hours ago, TatorTaco said:

This. 

I'm in the same boat.  Going fishless is pretty boring too tbh. Sorry man. 

Sorry to hear this TatorTaco, indeed fishless is boring for the moment! i've got one snail and a zoa to stare at ;)

43 minutes ago, Rory282 said:

Will do Kimber... I am absolutely gutted :(.

Thanks Tamberav, the fish i got were tank raised. The problem is the lfs i got them from has one big coral island (it holds al the wild caught fish too) and several small tanks that are connected to the main tank. So acutally it's one big system. So every tank raised fish is exposed to diseases from the wild caught fish (even though wild caught fish are in small quarantine buckets the first 2 weeks). I know not the smartest idea from my lfs... :(

Sorry to hear this TatorTaco, indeed fishless is boring for the moment! i've got one snail and a zoa to stare at ;)

Yeah, most LFS mix the captive bred with the wild caught :( If the LFS can order and keep them in the shipping bag for you (assuming you can go get them), it works really well.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 21/2/2018 at 4:54 PM, Tamberav said:

Yeah, most LFS mix the captive bred with the wild caught :( If the LFS can order and keep them in the shipping bag for you (assuming you can go get them), it works really well.

That’s a great tip! Thanks Tamberav!

• Like 1

Close up pic of the new ricordea

9E83E83E-3D7A-401D-9549-0C6283E4A026.thumb.jpeg.960724839a031c64863575907ecd5d72.jpeg

there is a little feather duster growing on my zoa’s frag plug. At first i thought it was aiptasia but then i saw the tube. Going te leave it there.

23 hours ago, vlangel said:

I am sorry for your losses, that hurts.  Your tank looks very nice though.

Thanks man!

19 hours ago, SURVEYMAN46123 said:

looking great man!

Thanks Surveyman! 

• Like 2

Video update B)

Tank is doing really great after the brooklynella setback... 

If you watch the video you can see the little feather duster. It has grown quite a bit. Last night i saw 2 super small bristle worms. Should i try to catch them? 

015B07F7-0CBA-45C6-A681-8C9B1E1D1401.thumb.jpeg.cbbd652691c09e989fc5e07e4467f5b3.jpeg

• Like 2
48 minutes ago, Rory282 said:

Last night i saw 2 super small bristle worms. Should i try to catch them? 

You can if you want, but I wouldn't bother - I have tons in my rockwork and sand.

They can be a good part of the clean up crew, especially since they tend (in my experience) to stay near the rock/sand line where it can be hard to clean. 

On the flipside - big ones can be a nuisance and can effect corals (I've seen bigger ones take food out of my acans mouths!). Don't touch with your bare hands - they sting! 

On 9/3/2018 at 4:24 PM, kimberbee said:

You can if you want, but I wouldn't bother - I have tons in my rockwork and sand.

They can be a good part of the clean up crew, especially since they tend (in my experience) to stay near the rock/sand line where it can be hard to clean. 

On the flipside - big ones can be a nuisance and can effect corals (I've seen bigger ones take food out of my acans mouths!). Don't touch with your bare hands - they sting! 

Thx for the advice Kimber. I’m going to leave them in my tank for now. 

So my snail was cleaning the little piece of live rock my ricordea sits on and they both tumbled down on the sand. Ricordea was a little bit pissed off but it’s fine now.

79F237CE-1D12-4892-BE0D-DA26BBC26A49.thumb.jpeg.fd9078836c1729b2f3967b614359f6e0.jpeg

63862A15-902E-4559-B218-CD4FCE0CB848.thumb.jpeg.32abfc2b0557142ebd0489016dea50f2.jpeg

4F63D9A7-6DDA-4EB2-A439-3466571AD450.thumb.jpeg.3b69f2321dd0b95557ce7c65d6ac045e.jpeg

8BD176CB-45CE-49CF-87AA-45DCC16A4317.thumb.jpeg.70a09fe3b4c447b4b6217966d7a184c7.jpeg

another little video, it’s just so relaxing to watch that little tank. 

• Like 3