Cultivated Reef

Rory's fusion 10: now rocking a reefled 50

Rory282

On 12/4/2017 at 7:56 AM, Rory282 said:

Raindrops, reef tops! 

Just received my custom lid from reef tops. Fit and finish is perfect! Super glad with this. Tank looks way better now.

0A4537E3-4E19-4A5B-8F1D-AD1162EB8C6E.thumb.jpeg.c6a6b6a1254bd1070e812440c99671f2.jpegDA542E14-624E-4BBF-B5F4-66F8C9C4FFB4.thumb.jpeg.20aae04cc0cc0ee2e69ef901cd0b31df.jpeg9CBD90D3-01BC-4DB9-8E96-3F8838523F7F.thumb.jpeg.30c779d01a582f96fdb1209fd35e9653.jpeg

Me happy! :D

Do you think the lid should have been slightly bigger? Do you think you would have changed something about this lid in retrospect? I am about to order the same lid but im just checking if there were any issues that you may have noticed? Thanks so much.

6 hours ago, dferrari13 said:

Do you think the lid should have been slightly bigger? Do you think you would have changed something about this lid in retrospect? I am about to order the same lid but im just checking if there were any issues that you may have noticed? Thanks so much.

Drew, the lid is just perfect to be honest. Not to big not to small. I wouldn’t change a thing. The feed door is going to be super handy. The mesh is really thin and blocks no light. Actually i can’t believe it’s this perfect. I drew him a little sketch with the exact measurements of my tank and he send me a drawing and the measurements of the lid, i checked them and everything was good to go! 

This is the drawing he send me:

91414EC1-E680-42CC-8EE6-EA054B5C5BBA.jpeg.20deb22c18174c3215e581bd0bb4780f.jpegThe only thing you would need is a cut out for the koralia wire. 

Are you going to order it from ReefTops? 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Rory282 said:

Drew, the lid is just perfect to be honest. Not to big not to small. I wouldn’t change a thing. The feed door is going to be super handy. The mesh is really thin and blocks no light. Actually i can’t believe it’s this perfect. I drew him a little sketch with the exact measurements of my tank and he send me a drawing and the measurements of the lid, i checked them and everything was good to go! 

This is the drawing he send me:

91414EC1-E680-42CC-8EE6-EA054B5C5BBA.jpeg.20deb22c18174c3215e581bd0bb4780f.jpegThe only thing you would need is a cut out for the koralia wire. 

Are you going to order it from ReefTops? 

Awesome..... I completely forgot about my powerhead wires thanks.... and yes I'm going to be ordering it from reeftops

• Like 1
6 hours ago, dferrari13 said:

Awesome..... I completely forgot about my powerhead wires thanks.... and yes I'm going to be ordering it from reeftops

No problem! You won’t be disappointed.

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Kijho said:

Love the reef top, looks so clean! Where do you order them from? 

Kijho, you can find them on facebook. Just search for ReefTops. The owner is Mark Vince. 

17 hours ago, Cannedfish said:

ETA on when this puppy's gettin' wet? The anticipation is killing me!

Well mate espacially for you, i put some water in my tank! I have to say the result is fantastic.

Tell me what you think ;).

im10.thumb.jpg.09595332c4e3b3bf1ad2ed85444743fc.jpg

All kiding aside, my baby girl has to have minor surgery on Monday. She had otitis for the last 2 months so they are going to put little tubes in her eares. Nothing big but as this is our first child it's a little bit scary for us. So next week should be the real deal. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Rory282 said:

All kiding aside, my baby girl has to have minor surgery on Monday. She had otitis for the last 2 months so they are going to put little tubes in her eares. Nothing big but as this is our first child it's a little bit scary for us. So next week should be the real deal. 

Hope she has a speedy recovery! I worked in an OR for a few months and those kinds of surgeries happened multiple times every day. So very routine, but I'm sure it's still a bit scary. 

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, kimberbee said:

Hope she has a speedy recovery! I worked in an OR for a few months and those kinds of surgeries happened multiple times every day. So very routine, but I'm sure it's still a bit scary. 

Thanks Kimber, this is very kind of you. :)

On 12/14/2017 at 11:08 AM, Rory282 said:

Well mate espacially for you, i put some water in my tank! I have to say the result is fantastic.

Tell me what you think ;).

im10.thumb.jpg.09595332c4e3b3bf1ad2ed85444743fc.jpg

The tank looks, ummmm, not so wet :lol:

We did the tube thing with kid #2. It was a little scary at the time, but nineteen years later I'd forgotten all about it until now. It really is a routine thing but I completely understand why it's scary!

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, teenyreef said:

The tank looks, ummmm, not so wet :lol:

We did the tube thing with kid #2. It was a little scary at the time, but nineteen years later I'd forgotten all about it until now. It really is a routine thing but I completely understand why it's scary!

Thanks Teeny! 

Jep the tank is not wet but there is water in it. :D

83558B96-69B5-47B9-807B-FBAA732DC1E7.thumb.jpeg.9c3e30be90823e6b03fd19b689bd2b3c.jpeg

Saw this today at my lfs, damn this is a sexy tank! It’s the aqua medic xenia with the new aqua medic angel light (same light as the cobalt one). Must say i was really impressed. The light was beautiful and the finish on tank and stand was way above wat red sea makes imho. 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, teenyreef said:

Wow, that is a really good looking tank!

How is the light mounted? Or is it hanging?

It uses a tank mount, seems sturdy and it blends in quite good. At a 1000€ the light is expensive though. 

• Like 1

So, today i started testing all of my equipment. 

Everything is running fine. Only problem i have, my mp10wqd is making a loud rattling noise.

Hope the noise will get better soon.

IMG_2912.thumb.jpg.dea2bd6359c13d7e2f6b04516d90fa94.jpg

I may use natural seawater as my lfs is now selling really good quality natural seawater.

What do you guys think? Is it ok to use it on a small tank like the fusion 10?

• Wow 1
1 hour ago, Tautoo said:

My mp10wqd as pretty loud when I first got it.

It still makes a LITTLE noise, but is much quiter.  Been running it 6-7 months or so.  

Mine really makes a lot of noise. It’s like having an early 80’s peterbuilt in my living room if i crank it up :D.  Think i have a defective wet side... 

1 hour ago, Rory282 said:

Mine really makes a lot of noise. It’s like having an early 80’s peterbuilt in my living room if i crank it up :D.  Think i have a defective wet side... 

Yeah I run mine at 30 percent on reef crest, so dont know what it would sound like if i cranked it way up haha.  

• 2 weeks later...

So it begins... 

I added my natural seawater, added beneficial bacteria, live sand so everything is up and running! 

I officially started my first reef tank! :D

IMG_3014.thumb.jpg.c655724a056f64c6abd43132e15c3fe3.jpgIMG_3015.thumb.jpg.99718241344d4f2e943bde35b9c2dcda.jpgIMG_3016.thumb.jpg.e7f55c1fc8aed6ddfaaf1b1ea15c9e03.jpgIMG_3017.thumb.jpg.420b44d43d2c752b3992290fe2632c61.jpgIMG_3020.thumb.jpg.2b4634ad68acd84da8c759c5b435dc70.jpg

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, Rory282 said:

So it begins... 

I added my natural seawater, added beneficial bacteria, live sand so everything is up and running! 

I officially started my first reef tank! :D

After literally teasing us for months, the day has finally arrived! Let the real fun finally begin! I can't wait to see how great this tank will be... after we wait through the cycle. Either way, congrats man, today is a big day!

4 minutes ago, Cannedfish said:

After literally teasing us for months, the day has finally arrived! Let the real fun finally begin! I can't wait to see how great this tank will be... after we wait through the cycle. Either way, congrats man, today is a big day!

Thanks man! i know it took me way to long to set it up but there was so much going on in my life i couldn't find the time.

Going to add some fish food to kickstart the cycle and install my ato tomorrow.

The mp10 is more quiet right now but still kinda noisy. Thinking about ordering a new wet side.

Quick question: should i already add my chemi pure blue nano packs or wait until the cycle is done?

3 minutes ago, Rory282 said:

Thanks man! i know it took me way to long to set it up but there was so much going on in my life i couldn't find the time.

Going to add some fish food to kickstart the cycle and install my ato tomorrow.

The mp10 is more quiet right now but still kinda noisy. Thinking about ordering a new wet side.

Quick question: should i already add my chemi pure blue nano packs or wait until the cycle is done?

I wouldn't add any chemical filtration till after the cycle, it'll just take longer. You're starting with dry rock, so the cycle is probably going to take an Mississippi minute, which is like a New York minute, but 40 to 60 years slower, eats more fried food, and probably has diabetes. Anyways, that wait is going to be super painful. I'm not exactly a quantum physicist (hell, I can barely spell calkulator), however, I'm pretty sure something strange happens to the space-time continuum during the cycling process.  Like waiting for Christmas morning as a kid, during the tank cycle, time literally slows down (but not in a cool way where, where you're able to run faster or stuff). Just be patient.

Lastly, be prepared for the Uglies: hair algae, cyano, diatoms. Basically, your tank is going to be like a strip club at 3pm on a Monday, less than attractive and a little sad. 

• Haha 5

I wouldn't waste carbon during the cycle, but something like phosguard might not go amiss if you have anything organic in there that might decompose.

I like to cycle with some Dr Tims' ammonia and as many bacterial supplements as I can get my hands on. Goes by in a couple of weeks and suddenly there's no ammonia/nitrite to be found (12 hours after adding a whole bunch of ammonia) :) 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Cannedfish said:

I wouldn't add any chemical filtration till after the cycle, it'll just take longer. You're starting with dry rock, so the cycle is probably going to take an Mississippi minute, which is like a New York minute, but 40 to 60 years slower, eats more fried food, and probably has diabetes. Anyways, that wait is going to be super painful. I'm not exactly a quantum physicist (hell, I can barely spell calkulator), however, I'm pretty sure something strange happens to the space-time continuum during the cycling process.  Like waiting for Christmas morning as a kid, during the tank cycle, time literally slows down (but not in a cool way where, where you're able to run faster or stuff). Just be patient.

Lastly, be prepared for the Uglies: hair algae, cyano, diatoms. Basically, your tank is going to be like a strip club at 3pm on a Monday, less than attractive and a little sad. 

Reading Cannedfish posts:

-sober: wait, eeeuh what?!

-after a few drinks: Damn this dude got reefing skills! 

:lol:

Let the ugliness begin!

5 minutes ago, Mariaface said:

I wouldn't waste carbon during the cycle, but something like phosguard might not go amiss if you have anything organic in there that might decompose.

I like to cycle with some Dr Tims' ammonia and as many bacterial supplements as I can get my hands on. Goes by in a couple of weeks and suddenly there's no ammonia/nitrite to be found (12 hours after adding a whole bunch of ammonia) :) 

We don't have dr tims' ammonia here :(, some throw a raw shrimp in their tank for ammonia...

I still have some bacterial supplements left, will use it if necesarrily.

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, Rory282 said:

We don't have dr tims' ammonia here :(, some throw a raw shrimp in their tank for ammonia...

I still have some bacterial supplements left, will use it if necesarrily.

Any ammonium chloride that doesn't have surfactants (doesn't bubble or do anything special) will do; sometimes people find it at their hardware store. :) 

• Like 1