Innovative Marine Aquariums

Rory's fusion 10: now rocking a reefled 50

Rory282

15 hours ago, teenyreef said:

Happy new year and and one year tankiversary! The tank and your family are beautiful 😀

Thanks @teenyreef i really appreciate it. It was your fusion 10 that inspired me to buy the fusion 10 and to buy the nanobox mini tide. 

15 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

Happy New Year @Rory282, congratulations on the first year with your nano reef! You've done a great job with it, what a fun thing to share with your daughter! Are you still considering upgrading to a 20 gallon?

Thanks @Christopher Marks, and thank you for giving us nano-reef. My go to website everyday for inspiration and (probably more important) information!

I’m still considering the upgrade but i’m doubting between the waterbox 20 or the reefer 170. I have a bubble king double cone 130 and red dragon 2500 brand new at home for like 3 years now waiting to get wet. And then i look at my fusion 10 and fall in love with it again...

15 hours ago, Alx said:

Looks really good. Nice and clean! 

Thanks @Alx

• Like 3

Happy 2019 and I second what teeny said: You have a beautiful family and tank.  If you love this tank (and I can see why) I would keep enjoying it.  A bigger tank means bigger water changes or a different method of export which may mean a new learning curve.  If it does not go as smoothly as this tank (which seems to have hit its stride and sweet spot) it can be very disheartening.  Bigger is not always better and your beautiful tank has lots of room yet and your fish seems to be happy and healthy so I would not worry about that.  Too many folks upgrade only to face problems and then they get discouraged.  Just my 2 cents so you do what feels right for you.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, vlangel said:

Happy 2019 and I second what teeny said: You have a beautiful family and tank.  If you love this tank (and I can see why) I would keep enjoying it.  A bigger tank means bigger water changes or a different method of export which may mean a new learning curve.  If it does not go as smoothly as this tank (which seems to have hit its stride and sweet spot) it can be very disheartening.  Bigger is not always better and your beautiful tank has lots of room yet and your fish seems to be happy and healthy so I would not worry about that.  Too many folks upgrade only to face problems and then they get discouraged.  Just my 2 cents so you do what feels right for you.

Yep. I upgraded to what I thought was my dream tank and it's been nothing but problems all the way, to the point I'm debating shutting it down and going smaller again. If you love this tank I see no reason to shut it down. :smilie:

• Like 3
On ‎1‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 1:29 PM, vlangel said:

Thanks @vlangel, this is really good advice!. That's the reason why i'm doubting about the waterbox cube 20. It's not much bigger and i can keep the same maintenance schedule.

I would use a tunze 9001 skimmer because now my skimmer is really inconsistent and i tend to feed a little heavy. My aquascape is just one piece of rock and it's just a little bit to big. I can't get past it with my tunze nano care magnet. The fridmani is really eating like a pig (love that fish) and almost doubled in size in just 3 months. If i sell my bb king, red dragon and skimz sump i could use the money to buy the waterbox cube 20, skimmer, intank media baskets and new acrylic top. I actually don't want more fish. I would like my tank to have my duncan and one or two large hammers, frogspawn or torch corals as the showpieces complemented with some zoa's, rics and a few acans. So a reefer 170 might be a little big and my fusion 10 might be just a little small.

On ‎1‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 3:50 PM, DaveFason said:

Great family and great tank. Congrats!

Thanks @DaveFason! Your light is making it all possible.

On ‎1‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 4:09 PM, Lula_Mae said:

Yep. I upgraded to what I thought was my dream tank and it's been nothing but problems all the way, to the point I'm debating shutting it down and going smaller again. If you love this tank I see no reason to shut it down. :smilie:

That's sad to hear @Lula_Mae. Hope everything will work out fine with your tank.

• Like 2

It sounds like you have thought this through and I think whatever you decide will turn out well.  Best wishes to you and your fishes for 2019!

• Like 1

Little picture update... Had to move my duncan frag to the sandbed because the mitrax decided the little hole in the rock that was perfect for the duncan fragplug is his home 🙄.

IMG_20190112_080723.thumb.jpg.8a9953024092d0b2085087e9ab95546c.jpg

IMG_20190112_081018.thumb.jpg.f7961f47a0d2726f5ba64b674cf28a6f.jpg

IMG_20190112_080759.thumb.jpg.a145fc2230d491c4e326b51b6404128a.jpg

IMG_20190112_080855.thumb.jpg.1001ef261c084cf4f3eca3efe6e57758.jpg

Why is my frogspawn always this puffy? Any answers? 

On 1/5/2019 at 5:19 AM, dferrari13 said:

Been following....great tank.....congrats on one year!

Thx man!

• Like 5
17 hours ago, ninjamyst said:

looks great!

Thx @ninjamyst, i really love your tanks. The evo 12 is a real treasure.

1 hour ago, Christopher Marks said:

Looking good @Rory282! What do you like to feed your acans?

Thx @Christopher Marks, besides weekly 50 to 70% water changes with natural seawater i only feed my corals 1/5 a teaspoon reef roids a week. I don’t spotfeed it i just mix it up with tankwater, shut down the return pump and pour it in front of the mp10. Also I often see my acan, rics and duncan catch a pellet or flake and eat it. 

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Sorry for the lack of updates, i've been really busy. 

Been fighting of cyano and diatoms. Lost my yellow clown goby (it just stopped eating) but added a elegance coral. Tank is still doing great... 

Here are some pics:

IMG_20190401_175752_089.thumb.jpg.70b83f94e50b90d04345a53b08deeba2.jpg

IMG_20190401_175752_091.thumb.jpg.cdd44a820d709601a09af529694fd8bd.jpg

IMG_20190401_175752_101.jpg

IMG_20190401_175752_113.jpg

Screenshot_20190401_175922_com.BluefishController.thumb.jpg.7fb4407f069fc5f06f375e50eccabc6c.jpg

Screenshot_20190401_175928_com.BluefishController.thumb.jpg.61de6544de37daaa5bc652a71864951c.jpg

• Like 1

Ok, i have got a important question, should i move the rock against the back to create some space for more coral or is the flow behind it to important? 

Bonus catalaphyllia pic, this thing is beautiful! 

IMG_20190405_131520.thumb.jpg.3546e0088e08165b1756b4eae09e521a.jpg

IMG_20190405_131852_917.thumb.jpg.fbe1f5e29ae136e816c6da70ff36c1c4.jpg

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
HippieSquirrel

I'm no expert but personally I didn't feel like I left enough room to clean behind my rock on my first tank.  Took me a while to learn the value of a turkey baster, however without an overflow + filter sock it was hard to collect all the gunk that got stirred up.  It ended up collecting a lot of detritus which caused problems down the road.  It's possible but you may need to be more diligent when cleaning, depends on the person and the tank.  

One thing to look into is magnetic rocks that you can place on the back wall they'd give you less/no dead spots but additional area for corals.  I'm sure there's other brands/options but NanoRox (a sponsor here I think) sells various types of them and they actually look pretty 'natural' plus when they're covered in coral you won't notice the differences between those and your actual rock.  

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
SURVEYMAN46123
2 hours ago, Rory282 said:

New year new gear... Bought a reefled 50. Looks good imho! 

Saw that on Instagram.   What made you make the change?

30 minutes ago, SURVEYMAN46123 said:

Saw that on Instagram.   What made you make the change?

The only thing that made me change is the fan noise. It wasn't a problem for me but my wife is pregnant for the second time and it was driving her nuts. I really loved the light but she hated the noise... And i have to say the light colour at 18k the reefled produces is beautiful!

Ps: you can't argue with a pregnant wife 😂.

• Haha 1
SURVEYMAN46123
19 hours ago, Rory282 said:

The only thing that made me change is the fan noise. It wasn't a problem for me but my wife is pregnant for the second time and it was driving her nuts. I really loved the light but she hated the noise... And i have to say the light colour at 18k the reefled produces is beautiful!

Ps: you can't argue with a pregnant wife 😂.

haha so true!

Congrats on the future addition!

• Like 2
  • 3 months later...

Quick update: everything is just fine. Have been battling some algae issues and in desperate need of a new CUC. What should i get?