Show off your Freshwater!

JoeMan02

Thunder Goose
12 hours ago, fishfreak0114 said:

@WV Reefer, beautiful tank!

Unfortunately hazy post water change, but this is my most recent pic of my 10g

35993768206_b42cc8043a_k.jpg10g planted by orb1915, on Flickr

45g cichlid tank and 5g planted with a couple shrimp

Hey @fishfreak0114 what's that crinkly leaved plant in the lower left? I may have to get me some of that for my FW tank!

12 hours ago, fishfreak0114 said:

Thunder Goose

Dayum, I was proud of my FW tank till I saw this thread. I need to up my game! [sorry for the picture quality - the tank is on the opposite wall from a window and it's hard to get a good shot except after dark.]

Before remodel:

5984a95674315_January162017.thumb.jpg.49315c0e3995af9a2b238c51904a727f.jpg

After remodel: 

5984a9708e32b_2017Aug4FWFTS.thumb.jpg.c41a553e05f0280cb03c95dba0e201fa.jpg

Or, I should say, during remodel. Notice the floating plants? They arrived yesterday (at 8 PM! Thanks, UPS). And yes, I have a major algae breakout. I think I need to fertilize...

I redecorated because the valisnaria was out of control and I couldn't keep up with it. I may add some of those "river" (ie backyard) rocks back in, though.... Still a work in progress!

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Draco said:

My 9 gal cube. It has a pair of pea puffers that's about 2 years old, and 2 otos. In a 2 gal tank I am raising pond snails for the puffers

IMG_0511.JPG

Very nice. I love the plant placement.

Just now, Thunder Goose said:

Dayum, I was proud of my FW tank till I saw this thread. I need to up my game! [sorry for the picture quality - the tank is on the opposite wall from a window and it's hard to get a good shot except after dark.]

Before remodel:

5984a95674315_January162017.thumb.jpg.49315c0e3995af9a2b238c51904a727f.jpg

After remodel: 

5984a9708e32b_2017Aug4FWFTS.thumb.jpg.c41a553e05f0280cb03c95dba0e201fa.jpg

Or, I should say, during remodel. Notice the floating plants? They arrived yesterday (at 8 PM! Thanks, UPS). And yes, I have a major algae breakout. I think I need to fertilize...

I redecorated because the valisnaria was out of control and I couldn't keep up with it. I may add some of those "river" (ie backyard) rocks back in, though.... Still a work in progress!

Looks good. Nice plant growth

fishfreak0114
37 minutes ago, Thunder Goose said:

Hey @fishfreak0114 what's that crinkly leaved plant in the lower left? I may have to get me some of that for my FW tank!

It's pogostemon helferi.  It's done really well for me in the 10g, but not so great in the 26.  No idea why though.  It's very neat looking, mine was from a Tropica pot.

• Like 1
fishfreak0114
1 minute ago, TJ_Burton said:

My 265 as of right now. Still looks pretty empty hahaha.

Fotor_150186949636673.thumb.jpg.48c280c0b85627306c3bd9504e6d0314.jpg

Fotor_150186933584633.thumb.jpg.a67e44aca5e3eb2a0913520be14b024f.jpg

Awesome!  One day I'd love a tank like that. 

Just now, lkoechle said:

so how many tanks total (fresh&salt) do you guys have? I have 5 right now... (and @Alexraptor husband says no pirhanas in the bedroom... boooooo....) and I am maxxed out. for now.

4.......3 sw, 1 fw

• Like 1
Thunder Goose
4 minutes ago, lkoechle said:

so how many tanks total (fresh&salt) do you guys have? I have 5 right now... (and @Alexraptor husband says no pirhanas in the bedroom... boooooo....) and I am maxxed out. for now.

I have "only" 3 tanks - a 120 FW, a 55 reef and my 14 nano. The Husband is not as into aquariums as I am. My record was 6 (all freshwater, ranging from Discus to kilies to community tanks). My problem is that I have more ideas than space. Already thinking I'd like to see a tank with "fake" dock piling (like an old dock that's fallen into decay and only the pilings are left, covered with all kinds of life). I do have an empty 55 in the basement. I wonder if The Husband would notice if it suddenly had water...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
7 minutes ago, Thunder Goose said:

I have "only" 3 tanks - a 120 FW, a 55 reef and my 14 nano. The Husband is not as into aquariums as I am. My record was 6 (all freshwater, ranging from Discus to kilies to community tanks). My problem is that I have more ideas than space. Already thinking I'd like to see a tank with "fake" dock piling (like an old dock that's fallen into decay and only the pilings are left, covered with all kinds of life). I do have an empty 55 in the basement. I wonder if The Husband would notice if it suddenly had water...

Me too.  I don't try to keep "biotopes" but I do try to keep different tanks so it's like a public aquarium here. lol  It's just so much fun!

• Like 3
10 minutes ago, Thunder Goose said:

I like that idea a lot.  Doooo it! :haha:

• Like 2
14 hours ago, fishfreak0114 said:

@WV Reefer, beautiful tank!

Unfortunately hazy post water change, but this is my most recent pic of my 10g

35993768206_b42cc8043a_k.jpg10g planted by orb1915, on Flickr

45g cichlid tank and 5g planted with a couple shrimp

36193394022_82b3cb44b0_k.jpgcichlid and 5g by orb1915, on Flickr

35553469403_e7808a21e5_k.jpgcichlids by orb1915, on Flickr

26g planted

36361984375_7caa55cadc_k.jpg26 bow by orb1915, on Flickr

You have so many tanks lol!  I love the red plant in the 10 gallon, do you remember what it is?

14 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Simple low tech female betta tank

28898231162_4690bbf887_b.jpgbetta2 by Tana Jahangier, on Flickr

28383796224_630cdc3aef_b.jpgbetta by Tana Jahangier, on Flickr

Your girls are so pretty!  How large is the tank?  Do you notice aggression issues between them?  I love bettas and having a tank of girls is an idea I've toyed with for a while. 

10 hours ago, tunagirll said:

40L bookshelf tank - now stocked with Cory hastatus, Pygmy cories, otos and dwarf emerald rasbora :)

IMG_0561.JPG

Wow that's a long tank!  How long is it, 6 feet?

5 hours ago, JoeMan02 said:

awesome looking tanks all around! @Alexraptor that piranha though!! Watch your fingers during waterchanges bro lol. @tunagirll thats such a cool aquascape! I love the simplicity of the rock work and the carpet, it looks very elegant. @Clown79 and @Tamberav Bettas and plants are always cool looking together idk why I've never kept one. @fishfreak0114  All super cool looking tanks! Us teens know what we're doing ;-)

Bettas are awesome and full of personality!  I highly recommend them.  They do great in 5-10 gallons with or without friends (cories, otos, African dwarf frogs). :)

Wish I had pics of my freshwater tanks through the years. :closedeyes:

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, TJ_Burton said:

I have 1 salt and 2 fresh. Plus dart frogs. ?

Oooh what kind of darts?  I've been wanting to build a small viv for a year and a half or so but it hasn't quite happened yet lol.

1 hour ago, lkoechle said:

Well Piranhas are really closely related to Tetras, so just get some and if he asks tell him they are "giant tetras"! B)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

@Lula_Mae 

If I remember correctly, it is around 7 gallons with 7 females. There was some mild chasing the first day and no aggression since. They all just swim around pretty chill and eat next to each other. I think the fact the tank is natural with a lot of plant/hiding areas keeps them from being crabby. I also waited until Petco got a new shipment and tried to pick out small/young ones around the same size/age and added them all at one time. I figured this way no one has any territory claims yet.

The photos are after they had been housed together for awhile, never saw any nipped fins or anything. I know stories are mixed about keeping females together but it worked out for me.

• Like 2
38 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

Oooh what kind of darts?  I've been wanting to build a small viv for a year and a half or so but it hasn't quite happened yet lol.

I've kept a few species, mostly thumbnails. Currently I have a pair of Oophaga pumilio 'punta laurel' and am really enjoying them. Produced 5 froglets so far, and i really haven't had them very long.

What darts are you looking at?

• Like 1
1 minute ago, .Boris said:

These are my two FW.
Sorry about the crappy pics but that is the best I can do.

Mixed Malawi

5984ddc7cc4f0_Akv014.thumb.JPG.2e013c63433d0a52ccda31347f57805f.JPG

Shrimp cocktail 
5984de127dd40_Akv007.thumb.JPG.9fc2bc299aabf33a2606171a8e984e98.JPG

Nice!

• Thanks 1