Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Show off your Freshwater!

JoeMan02

4 hours ago, JoeR said:

I swear the pics don't do it justice... the deep reds and oranges in the rock don't come through at all in pictures, and you can't tell that the ultra clear tank makes for a Super vivid "HD" look. Anyway this is attempt #2, after the tank rescape. I was hoping the tall red plants would have more red than they do, they're kinda pink atm, but I think once they straighten out, the Monte Carlo takes root, and the repents grows bushy it should look awesome. I have high hopes.

IMG_3115.JPG

IMG_3123.JPG

IMG_3113.JPG

IMG_3114.JPG

Looks great man! gl with the plants!

• Thanks 1
4 hours ago, .Boris said:

The rock work looks fantastic!  Unfortunately the plants hide some of it but maybe it is more visible in real life than in the pictures?

Yeah for sure, in person it's much different-You can see almost all of the rocks.

On 8/8/2017 at 11:32 AM, brandon429 said:

this is my #1 apex self running ecosystem, amazon bowl. I think its 14 yrs now maybe 12 Id have to check the old build threads on reefs.org but either way shes ten feet tall :) and can dunk without reaching. by self running, I mean topoffs only if you want to run it that way, I did for 7 yrs. It had wild type guppies and had no water changes the first 7 yrs, to load up the special substrate for the long haul. at that point, changed from guppies to fw shrimp and they run the rest of the ecosystem I feed maybe a few times a yr and change water annually pretty much so that I can see them better on the bottom with less detritus. I also choose to add ferts for strong greenery, the system can run without anything other than topoff but the chlorosis is stronger without iron added in addition. There's 4 pounds of powdered laterite at the base of the substrate as a reserve, but with minimal spraying of ferts and adding only ozarka drinking water as topoff that's as stand alone as it gets with moving life inside. 

Its true you can seal a system with these shrimp and get years, but eventually things have to be replenished its a rule of ecosystem design so I find it easier just to let the plants grow out the top and topoff and feed occasionally. This system has no biological lifespan, it can run for a hundred years. of course that w take some generations to prove, check up w my great grandkids to see I guess!

IMG_20170731_211958670_HDR.jpg

How did I miss this? That's super cool!! I've had plans to make something similar, but on a much smaller scale. What kind of shrimp are they? Pictures of them? List of plants?

On 07/08/2017 at 6:57 PM, TJ_Burton said:

They are pretty great :) polka dots and all hahaha. My first thumbnails were R. Sirensis 'green and I absolutely adored them. Had a male and female, and they produced a bunch of offspring for me. Was a fantastic beginning in keeping dart frogs! Since then I've kept Imis, Mantella pulchra, a few species of auratus, vanzolini, and now pumilio. Love darts! I've always said it's like terrestrial reefing. Have you read the blog I wrote that is linked in my Sig? It's a pretty cool comparison of reef keeping and dart frog keeping.

If you have any questions or anything along the way, let me know!

Here are my female and male pumilio. The boy has nearly no dots, but does have a funny yellow dot on his head hahaha.

IMG_20170323_195409_120.jpg

IMG_20170323_195653_397.jpg

They are so cute. I love frogs!

On 07/08/2017 at 8:30 PM, Pjanssen said:

HELP!

36297424001_4ba8f42121.jpgUntitled by Penny, on Flickr

36388992716_d9a7f4d4b8.jpgUntitled by Penny, on Flickr

Every day I walk by this tank and say "OMG, I've got to do something with this thing! Personally, I'd like to tear it down, but technically it's hubby's tank. I need to take over but It's just so over whelming. I've tried researching, and went on PLANTEDTANK, but there are just so many ways to go-much like reefing!

Anyway. Just thought I'd share. Everyones tanks look so nice. Maybe some day...

is that just plain sand for your substrate? Where do your nutrients come from?

Dooooo It!

It looks overwhelming but can be done.

It's possible you have bba (black beard algae) equivalent to gha.

I had some in my tank.

I took all my plants and decor out and did a hydrogen peroxide dip. I then scrubbed the algae right off, and a good rinse.

The stuff on the glass needs scraping and siphoning out.

I'd do a good 50% waterchange, replace rocks/decor after hp dip.

After that it's about maintain it.

On 07/08/2017 at 8:30 PM, Pjanssen said:

HELP!

36297424001_4ba8f42121.jpgUntitled by Penny, on Flickr

36388992716_d9a7f4d4b8.jpgUntitled by Penny, on Flickr

Every day I walk by this tank and say "OMG, I've got to do something with this thing! Personally, I'd like to tear it down, but technically it's hubby's tank. I need to take over but It's just so over whelming. I've tried researching, and went on PLANTEDTANK, but there are just so many ways to go-much like reefing!

Anyway. Just thought I'd share. Everyones tanks look so nice. Maybe some day...

is that just plain sand for your substrate? Where do your nutrients come from?

Dooooo It!

It looks overwhelming but can be done.

It's possible you have bba (black beard algae) equivalent to gha.

I had some in my tank.

I took all my plants and decor out and did a hydrogen peroxide dip. I then scrubbed the algae right off, and a good rinse.

The stuff on the glass needs scraping and siphoning out.

I'd do a good 50% waterchange, replace rocks/decor after hp dip.

After that it's about maintain it.

You can add fake plants, no real ones with cichlids, they will destroy them.

Do weekly 50% waterchanges with vacuuming the gravel and scraping glass.

Rinse your filter media frequently and change accordingly

I decided to redo my aquascape in my 9 gal cube. I like it better. Took out some plants (The ones that constantly needed trimming). I want to find something tall with color to hide the filter but won't block too much of it. Water still needs to clear up.

20767918_10214599488329409_3746059528811254260_n.jpg

• Like 4
fishfreak0114
3 hours ago, Rory282 said:

Oke, one more...

Again my beautiful apistogramma agassizii double red

1A5BA0F4-C8BA-459B-806E-1E376DF95F92.JPG

Wow, they're gorgeous!  How big are they?

On 12/08/2017 at 11:09 AM, Draco said:

I decided to redo my aquascape in my 9 gal cube. I like it better. Took out some plants (The ones that constantly needed trimming). I want to find something tall with color to hide the filter but won't block too much of it. Water still needs to clear up.

20767918_10214599488329409_3746059528811254260_n.jpg

Bacopa is a nice plant.

Tank looks great

• Thanks 1

I just did a full tank overhaul.

The 5g topfin was a PITA.

The pump died in the first few months and the deal on the aio area was falling apart.

All in 6 mnths. The tanks filtration wasn't very good.

I got a full refund and with discount got the fluval spec.

This is my new fw

20170814_130142.jpg

• Like 6
2 hours ago, Clown79 said:

I just did a full tank overhaul.

The 5g topfin was a PITA.

The pump died in the first few months and the deal on the aio area was falling apart.

All in 6 mnths. The tanks filtration wasn't very good.

I got a full refund and with discount got the fluval spec.

This is my new fw

20170814_130142.jpg

Beautiful, the tank and the betta!

Here's my 20gal running for 8 years straight, that I decided to tear down in order to set up my first nano-reef. I kept mostly dwarfcichlids and tetras, mainly Apistogramma Borellii Opal (my profile pic) IMG_4789.thumb.JPG.153409d4cf673943705c10f122219e3e.JPG

Last month I decided to set up my 6.5 gal for a betta and this is how it looks so far.

IMG_4727.thumb.JPG.cd93af5b6874b35141031c65546c02ab.JPG

• Like 3
2 hours ago, bbetta said:

Here's my 20gal running for 8 years straight, that I decided to tear down in order to set up my first nano-reef. I kept mostly dwarfcichlids and tetras, mainly Apistogramma Borellii Opal (my profile pic) IMG_4789.thumb.JPG.153409d4cf673943705c10f122219e3e.JPG

Last month I decided to set up my 6.5 gal for a betta and this is how it looks so far.

IMG_4727.thumb.JPG.cd93af5b6874b35141031c65546c02ab.JPG

Beautiful!  I have a 15H that's been going for 9 years though I pretty much am entirely rebooting it since most of the plants and livestock died off.

5 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

Beautiful, the tank and the betta!

Thank you.

He's different looking. We were worried He's go all blue but he kept his peach and blue colour.

5 hours ago, kinetic said:

That is really beautiful. Where did you get that wood? What kind of wood is it?

Actually I decided on going with plastic instead of real wood. I don't like the discoloration the tannins in wood causes.

I tried it and my tank was tea brown. 

• Like 2

My poor freshwater tank is such a mess right now.. Plants decided to melt (let's be real, that's on me), cyano decided it was prime time to take over :P I'll see if it's worth sharing once it's cleaned up..

• Like 4
40 minutes ago, Mariaface said:

My poor freshwater tank is such a mess right now.. Plants decided to melt (let's be real, that's on me), cyano decided it was prime time to take over :P I'll see if it's worth sharing once it's cleaned up..

can't be worse than mine

5 minutes ago, Pjanssen said:

just don't bring any of that old white bacterial crap from your SW

For a solid moment, I thought I'd managed to bring it into my work betta tank. :P Turns out it was just cyano dying off... 

• Haha 1