Pod Your Reef

Jagadeesh's Elysian Gills

thespinningsadhu

1 hour ago, Lula_Mae said:

I was going to suggest you bite the fish back, but this is probably a better idea lol.

I've flicked nippy clownfish before.  I'm not sure if it corrected its behavior, but it made me feel better.

1 hour ago, thespinningsadhu said:

Faded and dull maxi mini.

Really?  I think it looks quite nice.

There's something about the goby pic that doesn't look right.  Like his head has bumps on it.  I'm still not sure about an Ich confirmation, but I'm not convinced it's healthy either.  Keep a close eye on it.

Yeah, the algae doesn't look bad at all.

• Like 3
thespinningsadhu
45 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

If they are like xenia, they will prefer a good amount of flow.

Seems that when I placed him in a stronger flow that's when he closed up. I don't know how they reproduce, but he's been closed up for a week and those four new buds have popped up. 

45 minutes ago, Lugmos12 said:

@thespinningsadhu can you post a pic of the whole tank? LOL :haha:

I don't know if I should! It's only 13.5 gallons and I have three tangs and two golden eels in there. Not to mention the batfish. People will come and bash me. It's also tough for me to get a full shot of the tank without exposing the meth lab I have in the back. 

• Like 7
thespinningsadhu

I wanted to link a photo I'm kind of proud of from Flickr because uploading it makes it lose so much! 

No special effects - just 27 high speed shots stacked on top of each other. :)

cloves

Now, as I was having fun taking photos I noticed the damned devil himself - 

AIPTASIA.png\

It's so tiny I couldn't get a very clear picture because of the angle. 

@Lula_Mae, @seabass, @WV Reefer, @Clown79 what do you guys think? I know there are store bought chemical killers, there are shrimp and fish, and there are home remedies. Here are my thoughts:

1. I don't want to attempt to inject it with anything because it is so tiny it will shrink up before I can get it and maybe break a piece of itself off and propagate. 

2. I don't want any more fish in my tank right now and I don't want any more shrimp. I don't want the nudibranch that can die and poison the whole system. 

3. I don't know anything about the store bought remedies, I assume they work?

thespinningsadhu

@seabass - I'm beginning to doubt this goby having ich. He will have tiny spots one day, the next day none, the next one tiny one, the next none. From the photos I've seen once they start attaching they just blow up on the fish's body. Is this right? Also, about that picture where it looks like something was wrong - I'd manipulated it by color and contrast and other things trying to get the tiny spot to show up. He eats like a pig - hog - hippo. He poops. He rests. I've noticed no stress. As I said, I can't start any treatment yet because I'm at my parents' house for a week. 

thespinningsadhu

Okay, my friends and teachers, tell me about this maxi mini. When I got him he was gorgeous (as seen in my sig banner) but as @seabass said things can change. I'm not really worried about the color. I do wonder, however, if I could get him to move up if he'd color up. I don't think so from what I've read. 

The only thing that I want to figure out is this line in his body. On top where the tentacles are it's almost black. I can see underneath when the current catches him and blows his "skirt" up that there is a blood vein (for lack of a better phrase) that corresponds with the top black part. I thought he may be splitting but he only has one mouth. He poops and eats and responds to stimuli and he's sticky as all get out. 

I made the photo look pretty to accentuate the black stripe but it's not that way in person. It's dark blue in the center frill and runs all the way to his mouth. Again, in real life it's dull black and he's not this colorful ever at all amen.

_DSC1222

3 hours ago, thespinningsadhu said:

I'm beginning to doubt this goby having ich.

Yeah, I haven't seen a clear indication of Ich.  I would hold off on hospitalization until a positive identification can be made.

2 hours ago, thespinningsadhu said:

I do wonder, however, if I could get him to move up if he'd color up.

I'm thinking that it is coloring up; you just don't like the change.  It may continue to change.

Getting them to do what you want (like moving) is challenging.  I've gotten some to move onto a smaller rock that I could move around.

2 hours ago, thespinningsadhu said:

I thought he may be splitting but he only has one mouth.

I'm not sure that they split like BTAs.  After many years, mine certainly haven't.

• Like 1
thespinningsadhu
46 minutes ago, seabass said:

I'm thinking that it is coloring up; you just don't like the change.  It may continue to change.

Well, he started off one way and now the other way. It may just be that I don't like it. Going from a gorgeous bright blue to mud? Remember, I manipulated the photo to bring out the streak. 

Photo 1 - how he looked when I first got him

Photo 2 - faded about halfway

Photo 3 - current state 

None of these photos have any color or vibrance or light manipulation, only some sharpening - I even shot them in RAW.

_DSC0675

_DSC0944

_DSC1222

I'm not gonna take the time to mark it up, but if you'll notice on each side of the darker strip there's some whitish/cream tentacles that are longer than the others. In the photo they don't look like a big deal but in person they look like there's something wrong. Makes me think of a "lie bump" on one's tongue... 

Oh well.. as long as he's healthy he can be ugly. 

Well I can see why you'd be a little disappointed.  The blue was very striking.  I guess I thought it was getting darker, but it looks like it has lost color.  Still, it looks pretty healthy to me.  I find these anemones extremely hardy.

I can't remember if you mentioned if you feed them or not.  Besides lighting, food might be another factor in coloration.

• Like 1
thespinningsadhu
2 minutes ago, seabass said:

I can't remember if you mentioned if you feed them or not

Yes! I feed them - all three. They get the big bits of scallops and clams that are in the Reef Frenzy. 

Zoas those  suckers good:)

Just turn off all water movement, use the syringe to cover the aip, leave it for 15mins, then turn all water movement back on

thespinningsadhu
2 hours ago, Madcat said:

I love all your tank pics. Gorgeous photography.

Can I ask what heater you use? Mine is being difficult.

I'm using the Eheim TruTemp 150 watt but I JUST bought the 50 watt. The 150 is so long it can't go in the last chamber with the return pump. It fits in the middle compartment but the cable is so stiff and thick that you can't close the lid. I'm hoping the cable on the 50 watt will be more skinny and flexible. So, I've ordered the 50 watt that will fit. 

I'll keep the 150 watt because that will heat up water change water SUPAH QUICK. 

Thank you for the compliment - I've always loved photography and kind of get into it. Check out my latest composition...

Image 7-16-17 at 2.40 PM

• Like 2

To kill aiptasia, remove what they are on from the tank and apply either 35% peroxide or Kalkwasser paste directly to the aiptasia. 

Watch in glee as it shrivels and dies. 

Then rinse in a small bit of tankwater and return to the tank. 

• Like 2
thespinningsadhu
1 minute ago, Weetabix7 said:

To kill aiptasia

I already ordered the Aiptasia X! It was fun watching them implode. That's horrible. 

• Like 1
On 7/15/2017 at 10:46 PM, thespinningsadhu said:

Well, he started off one way and now the other way. It may just be that I don't like it. Going from a gorgeous bright blue to mud? Remember, I manipulated the photo to bring out the streak. 

Photo 1 - how he looked when I first got him

Photo 2 - faded about halfway

Photo 3 - current state 

None of these photos have any color or vibrance or light manipulation, only some sharpening - I even shot them in RAW.

_DSC0675

_DSC0944

_DSC1222

I'm not gonna take the time to mark it up, but if you'll notice on each side of the darker strip there's some whitish/cream tentacles that are longer than the others. In the photo they don't look like a big deal but in person they look like there's something wrong. Makes me think of a "lie bump" on one's tongue... 

Oh well.. as long as he's healthy he can be ugly. 

Sorry your nem's gone ugly. :closedeyes: I got seafoam green palys that turned a nice poop brown under the light I used at first and have never gotten their color back. :rolleyes: I hide them in the back of the tank lol.

• Like 2
thespinningsadhu

So, so, so much to update but I wanted all of you to meet Dump Truck. Long story. But I love him.

DumpTruck

• Like 6