ReefCleaners.org

100 Days of a 4 and 2 year olds contest tank(New Pics!)

Addinali

2 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

With 10 years in the hobby you already know that things happen. The challenges can seem overwhelming at times but they pass. As suggested maybe go for an invert tank or just wait it out. Use the time to research or explore different options for live stock. I hope you hang in there I enjoy following your tank. Just need a couple more kid pictures and you will be all caught up!

2 hours ago, Weetabix7 said:

Setbacks are a part of the whole story and no reason to quit. @Mariaface had every reason to quit when her tank got taken over by bacterial slime but she hung in there and is getting a somewhere now. Your kids will have fun watching "pretty fish" but they will learn how to handle setbacks by watching how you handle this one.

In totally different news, I'm quite close to you for a couple days, in Oak Ridge.

2 hours ago, stellablue said:

Nooooo!! Don't drop out! There are so many cool critters you can get that aren't fish - your sons will still love it and love looking for them. Rock flower anemone and anemone crab or shrimp, Pom Pom crab, different hermits, etc! Then when the fallow period is over, introduce fish! 

Thanks guys I guess for the next 6 weeks we will just stick with corals and inverts.

also they still have a lot of interest in the tank.

IMG_2436.JPG

IMG_2437.JPG

• Like 6
MaineReefkeeper
24 minutes ago, Addinali said:

Thanks guys I guess for the next 6 weeks we will just stick with corals and inverts.

also they still have a lot of interest in the tank.

IMG_2436.JPG

IMG_2437.JPG

That's a great plan!! Glad the kids are onboard still! 

• Like 5
29 minutes ago, SeaFurn said:

Let me know how you like the Ice Cap ATO after you get it set up and have been using it. 

Well...... The magnet on the shaft of the pump was broken so I wont find anything out tonight.  :furious::furious:

28 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

Goodies are always fun! :lol:

Yes they are my favorite when there not broken....:furious::furious:

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, Addinali said:

Well...... The magnet on the shaft of the pump was broken so I wont find anything out tonight.  :furious::furious:

Oh geez. Infuriating! Seems to follow the theme with this contest...

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Addinali said:

Yes they are my favorite when there not broken....:furious::furious:

Well, yes, that does rather put a damper on things lol.

6 hours ago, SeaFurn said:

100 days of Broken Things? :lol:

• Like 3
9 hours ago, SeaFurn said:

2 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

Well, yes, that does rather put a damper on things lol.

100 days of Broken Things? :lol:

I mean how does it come like this. There's no way it came in the package that way which means somebody probably put it together that way.

IMG_2441.JPG

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

It is a shame. No quality control. 

Besides that everything else from the ATO was perfect except..... where the hose goes the clip that holds it. Is designed to detach which led me to digging it out of the back of that tank took about 15 mins and a lot of stress. Just to find out the pump won't turn on. Other then that I think once I have everything together and hooked up I can see it being a very effective ATO.

Okay we we're having some algae issues so we did a water some water test (red sea + salifert) and had some higher Nitrates(around 25). We did a 50% water change and cleaned the tank and we are looking around 5-10 now. But anyways here is some of the fun.

IMG_2449.JPG

IMG_2450.JPG

IMG_2452.JPG

IMG_2447.JPG

IMG_2448.JPG

• Like 6

Couple more goodies came in. Now I can put the screen lid on the tank(hopefully keeps the kids from putting there hands 24/7)

IMG_2453.JPG

• Like 6
19 hours ago, Addinali said:

Okay we we're having some algae issues so we did a water some water test (red sea + salifert) and had some higher Nitrates(around 25). We did a 50% water change and cleaned the tank and we are looking around 5-10 now. But anyways here is some of the fun.

IMG_2449.JPG

IMG_2450.JPG

IMG_2452.JPG

IMG_2447.JPG

IMG_2448.JPG

I really love seeing how involved they are in all the pics. :happy:

1 minute ago, Addinali said:

Well the IM DIY screen lid is just crap.

Kind of like there pumps..............................

sorry to hear.

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, spectra said:

Kind of like there pumps..............................

sorry to hear.

It's not really that cheap ether but mine came just messed up and now my lid sucks.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, stellablue said:

It's impossible to use the spline. Like impossible 

I got it in but it took a half hour and it just came out looking like crap!!

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Addinali said:

I got it in but it took a half hour and it just came out looking like crap!!

What the heck did you use? I felt the spline was like 2 sizes too big! 

Just now, stellablue said:

What the heck did you use? I felt the spline was like 2 sizes too big! 

I had to bend the metal a little and use a half inch wide flat head to push so hard my hands hurt to get it in there. I left a 1 star review on @Marine Depot website I am not happy.

So I added a shelf next to my main reef tank to keep the boys from dosing there tank when I'm not looking. Also tore the whole lid apart and tried to redo it and it came out a little better. Still crap though...... I left a 1 star review on marine depot explaining everything but it's not showing I wonder what's up with that maybe @Marine Depot doesn't want bad reviews I don't know.

IMG_2454.JPG

IMG_2456.JPG