Innovative Marine Aquariums

Penny's IM14-Retired 7/18/2021

Pjanssen

3 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

I spent six months in New England, I'm good for life! :lol:

Never been to New England, but I'd like to go. I mean Barry Manilow sang about it, so it can't be all bad. Right? (Did I just admit that I'm a Fanilow?:unsure:)

• Haha 3
1 hour ago, Pjanssen said:

Never been to New England, but I'd like to go. I mean Barry Manilow sang about it, so it can't be all bad. Right? (Did I just admit that I'm a Fanilow?:unsure:)

:lol: I actually liked it up there but it was hard not being employed for most of my time there.  But there's some amazing old history all over and it's a cool place!

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Pjanssen said:

ZOMGWTFBBQ?!?!?!? Fanilow? I loled.

13 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

:lol: I actually liked it up there but it was hard not being employed for most of my time there.  But there's some amazing old history all over and it's a cool place!

New England isn't bad to visit, but I couldn't live there with their stupid ass gun laws. One look in my safe and they'd all die of fright, lol.

• Haha 3
On 8/16/2017 at 7:58 AM, SeaFurn said:

That was gonna be my question too!  @StinkyBunny

Let us know when you ever get set-up to do smaller orders.  I'd even drive to the airport now to pick up a shipment.

Yep, this.

On 8/16/2017 at 5:05 AM, StinkyBunny said:

I hate this state with the power of almighty Thor!! In a very few years we're moving to North Carolina, Oriental, NC to be exact.

Then you'll be closer to me, hooraaay!!

16 hours ago, Pjanssen said:

Ahh. i do love NYC. My daughter lived there for a couple of years and I would go VISIT a few times a year. I especially love it in the fall, and at 

Christmas time. I miss that she is no longer there. Now I have to go aaaaaall the way to Australia to see her.

I love NYC!!!

16 hours ago, Pjanssen said:

Ahh. i do love NYC. My daughter lived there for a couple of years and I would go VISIT a few times a year. I especially love it in the fall, and at 

Christmas time. I miss that she is no longer there. Now I have to go aaaaaall the way to Australia to see her.

Oh my gosh...Australia.  That's quite the distance.  My mom and I had a hard time with it when I moved from Indiana to California.  We are actually most likely moving to Connecticut (Stamford area) next year.  We'd go sooner, but my son needs to finish up his senior year of high school out here.  My husband can transfer there through his work.  I love the history and I love that it will be so close to NYC.  And the gun laws are GREAT for me too :D.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, gena said:

Oh my gosh...Australia.  That's quite the distance.  My mom and I had a hard time with it when I moved from Indiana to California.  We are actually most likely moving to Connecticut (Stamford area) next year.  We'd go sooner, but my son needs to finish up his senior year of high school out here.  My husband can transfer there through his work.  I love the history and I love that it will be so close to NYC.  And the gun laws are GREAT for me too :D.

Ha, I just left Hartford in April!  My husband's family is all up in CT and MA so regular visits will be made. :happy:  Plus, Stella's in CT too!

• Like 3
5 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

Ha, I just left Hartford in April!  My husband's family is all up in CT and MA so regular visits will be made. :happy:  Plus, Stella's in CT too!

We'll have to make a point of meeting up!!!!  Yep, Stella and I have been chatting a bit about it :).  I want to go for a ride on her boat.  I haven't told her that yet LOL.

• Haha 2
3 minutes ago, gena said:

We'll have to make a point of meeting up!!!!  Yep, Stella and I have been chatting a bit about it :).  I want to go for a ride on her boat.  I haven't told her that yet LOL.

I'll have to make sure hubby allows enough time in visits for that lol.  I bet she would take you for a ride!  I've only been to the shore a couple of times but it would be neat to ride a boat around there!

• Like 1
Thunder Goose
3 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

ooh, ooh, I'm in MA! You can visit me, too!

I actually really like living in New England during the summer and fall. It's winter that totally sucks. And the people are not nearly as friendly as other places. But the scenery is gorgeous (especially "Down East" Maine - which is the northernmost coastal region). And I love the Farm Stands - fresh, mostly local produce and meats. Very cool.

• Like 3
6 hours ago, Thunder Goose said:

ooh, ooh, I'm in MA! You can visit me, too!

I actually really like living in New England during the summer and fall. It's winter that totally sucks. And the people are not nearly as friendly as other places. But the scenery is gorgeous (especially "Down East" Maine - which is the northernmost coastal region). And I love the Farm Stands - fresh, mostly local produce and meats. Very cool.

I was told last winter was exceptionally mild.  Still more than enough snow for me! :lol:

• Like 1
Thunder Goose
8 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

I was told last winter was exceptionally mild.  Still more than enough snow for me! :lol:

Yeah, it was VERY mild for up here. I'm hoping last winter is a sign of things to come  with global climate change [soap box/rant: since the government isn't doing enough to mitigate the damage and no way are you going to convince people to self regulate! Sorry, this is one of the topics you can't get me to keep my mouth shut about.].

• Like 4

Okay, here goes:

This contest has been fun for the most part. I loved all of the interaction with the other contestants and fellow Nano-Reefers. Thank you to all for all of the encouragement and help along the way. We really are an amazing group.

We started off a little rough, losing the cutest ever Yellow Headed Jawfish.

33983375364_795b8f2a2e_n.jpgPeek-a-boo by Penny, on Flickr

Other painful losses along the way was the Gold Coral Banded shrimp. They were sold to me as a mated pair, but I never noticed any connection between them. I still have the one, and He seems perfectly content being alone.

36339439346_944c3037f7_n.jpgUntitled by Penny, on Flickr36604964536_de59e01ea3_n.jpgGold Banded Coral Shrimp by Penny, on Flickr

The Anemone shrimp were beautiful and I have no idea what happened to them

35976478951_e84fc137c1_n.jpgTop down shot by Penny, on Flickr

I'm not going to count the Rock Flower Anemone as a loss to the tank, as it never really resided there. I don't even have a picture of it when it was beautiful. The LFS did give partial credit for it, so we replaced it with a new one that is far less spectacular, but pretty just the same.

36651391205_3caa96b690_n.jpgRock Flower Anemone by Penny, on Flickr

Following is a picture of each of the inhabitants, minus the fish and the Scarlet emerald crab as the were being photo shy.

36604966076_8909e175f1.jpgYellow Finger Gorgonian by Penny, on Flickr

36482298002_a61ae62857.jpgIM 14 contest tank by Penny, on Flickr

36255155980_b25766f996.jpgBryothamnion Red Macro Algae by Penny, on Flickr

36651390995_7df6ac50bc.jpgBrtryocladia Red Macro Algae by Penny, on Flickr

36604965926_ce80041962.jpgFlorida Zoanthids by Penny, on Flickr

36604965886_0cd952d776.jpgPurple feather gorgonian frag by Penny, on Flickr

36513084071_01895c102b.jpgMerman's Shaving Brush by Penny, on Flickr

36255155710_716f61d09a.jpgYellow Sea Whip by Penny, on Flickr

36604965206_08178f200f.jpgIM 14 contest tank by Penny, on Flickr

36604965106_2d039899e0.jpgPine Cone Algae & Flame Scallop by Penny, on Flickr

36604965056_06f130f1f5.jpgFlorida Zoanthids by Penny, on Flickr

36513083661_11779bb8f9.jpgKnobby Sea Rod by Penny, on Flickr

35842115423_aca4579ff1.jpgSpiny Orange Sea Rod by Penny, on Flickr

36513083301_28c89cc570.jpgRicordea Florida by Penny, on Flickr

36255154710_84f4ff72c2.jpgFlame Scallop by Penny, on Flickr

36485398506_44e4a3e25f.jpgAnemone Crab by Penny, on Flickr

35817776624_7a4d95fc5c.jpgSea Pansy by Penny, on Flickr

Not sure I'm a huge fan of most of the Macros, only because of how difficult it was to keep them put. They are great though in terms of keeping other algae at bay. Ones I would probably not do are the Pansy and Pine Cone-they just don't look like how I anticipated.

I've enjoyed the Gorgonians. I feed them daily and they all seem happy.

While this was the Honeymoon reef, aside from a little hanky panky flirting from the neons, the only reproduction came from the snails. At least, if the neons did lay eggs I never saw them.

As for equipment. I love the tank size, and I never had a problem with the stock pump. Guess I was one of the lucky ones. I added a spin stream and really liked it. I just wish It had an off switch.

And now final Full Tank Shots

36651391135_d55a7c5793_b.jpgIM 14 contest tank by Penny, on Flickr

36513084261_2c8e2b0b3b_b.jpgIM 14 contest tank by Penny, on Flickr

36651391295_2880b15a34_b.jpgIM 14 contest tank end shot by Penny, on Flickr

35816565224_100bc2ed25_b.jpgIM 14 contest tank by Penny, on Flickr

Oh yea, final cost: $420.00

What would I do different? Maybe more gorgonians

Future plans? I'll probably keep it as is. Maybe not stay so strict to the Florida only theme, but expanding to include the Caribbean

oops, I forgot to mention the mangroves. I had originally planned on keeping mangroves in the middle back chamber, but I couldn't figure out a good way to mount the light that I bought for them without compromising the clean look of the stand so I ditched the idea. I tried putting them in the main tank, and even cut holes in the screening of the top to accommodate but it was too much of a PITA everytime I needed to take the top off (several times a day!)

Edited by Pjanssen
Added content
  • Like 11
1 hour ago, Pjanssen said:

Okay, here goes:

This contest has been fun for the most part. I loved all of the interaction with the other contestants and fellow Nano-Reefers. Thank you to all for all of the encouragement and help along the way. We really are an amazing group.

We started off a little rough, losing the cutest ever Yellow Headed Jawfish.

33983375364_795b8f2a2e_n.jpgPeek-a-boo by Penny, on Flickr

Other painful losses along the way was the Gold Coral Banded shrimp. They were sold to me as a mated pair, but I never noticed any connection between them. I still have the one, and He seems perfectly content being alone.

36339439346_944c3037f7_n.jpgUntitled by Penny, on Flickr36604964536_de59e01ea3_n.jpgGold Banded Coral Shrimp by Penny, on Flickr

The Anemone shrimp were beautiful and I have no idea what happened to them

35976478951_e84fc137c1_n.jpgTop down shot by Penny, on Flickr

I'm not going to count the Rock Flower Anemone as a loss to the tank, as it never really resided there. I don't even have a picture of it when it was beautiful. The LFS did give partial credit for it, so we replaced it with a new one that is far less spectacular, but pretty just the same.

36651391205_3caa96b690_n.jpgRock Flower Anemone by Penny, on Flickr

Following is a picture of each of the inhabitants, minus the fish and the Scarlet emerald crab as the were being photo shy.

36604966076_8909e175f1.jpgYellow Finger Gorgonian by Penny, on Flickr

36482298002_a61ae62857.jpgIM 14 contest tank by Penny, on Flickr

36255155980_b25766f996.jpgBryothamnion Red Macro Algae by Penny, on Flickr

36651390995_7df6ac50bc.jpgBrtryocladia Red Macro Algae by Penny, on Flickr

36604965926_ce80041962.jpgFlorida Zoanthids by Penny, on Flickr

36604965886_0cd952d776.jpgPurple feather gorgonian frag by Penny, on Flickr

36513084071_01895c102b.jpgMerman's Shaving Brush by Penny, on Flickr

36255155710_716f61d09a.jpgYellow Sea Whip by Penny, on Flickr

36604965206_08178f200f.jpgIM 14 contest tank by Penny, on Flickr

36604965106_2d039899e0.jpgPine Cone Algae & Flame Scallop by Penny, on Flickr

36604965056_06f130f1f5.jpgFlorida Zoanthids by Penny, on Flickr

36513083661_11779bb8f9.jpgKnobby Sea Rod by Penny, on Flickr

35842115423_aca4579ff1.jpgSpiny Orange Sea Rod by Penny, on Flickr

36513083301_28c89cc570.jpgRicordea Florida by Penny, on Flickr

36255154710_84f4ff72c2.jpgFlame Scallop by Penny, on Flickr

36485398506_44e4a3e25f.jpgAnemone Crab by Penny, on Flickr

35817776624_7a4d95fc5c.jpgSea Pansy by Penny, on Flickr

Not sure I'm a huge fan of most of the Macros, only because of how difficult it was to keep them put. They are great though in terms of keeping other algae at bay. Ones I would probably not do are the Pansy and Pine Cone-they just don't look like how I anticipated.

I've enjoyed the Gorgonians. I feed them daily and they all seem happy.

While this was the Honeymoon reef, aside from a little hanky panky flirting from the neons, the only reproduction came from the snails. At least, if the neons did lay eggs I never saw them.

As for equipment. I love the tank size, and I never had a problem with the stock pump. Guess I was one of the lucky ones. I added a spin stream and really liked it. I just wish It had an off switch.

And now final Full Tank Shots

36651391135_d55a7c5793_b.jpgIM 14 contest tank by Penny, on Flickr

36513084261_2c8e2b0b3b_b.jpgIM 14 contest tank by Penny, on Flickr

36651391295_2880b15a34_b.jpgIM 14 contest tank end shot by Penny, on Flickr

35816565224_100bc2ed25_b.jpgIM 14 contest tank by Penny, on Flickr

Oh yea, final cost: $420.00

What would I do different? Maybe more gorgonians

Future plans? I'll probably keep it as is. Maybe not stay so strict to the Florida only theme, but expanding to include the Caribbean

I have really enjoyed following along with this tank and I think you did a great job with it. 

I loved the stand and the overall look of the tank, just beautiful. 

Loved your rockscape as well. 

What do you think your secret was to keeping the Gorgonians happy?

Asking cause I'd love to add some to my 40B over the next few months. 

For getting the Macros to stay put, what has worked for me is to use fishing line to tie them to a smallish piece of rubble, and then treat the rubble as a movable "base" for them, something I could insert into rock or crevices or move around, something that would weight them down enough to hold them in one place. 

Nice job!!

• Like 1

Thanks @Weetabix7. Fishing line is great idea, and I did think about that after the fact:P. I had some bright green fishing line in the garage that I tried and it looked hideous so I took it out. Never got around to remembering to get clear or blue line.

As far as keeping the Gorgonians happy. Feed. Feed. Feed. I used Brightwell Aquatics MarineSnow and Zooplanktos-S. I also fed the clam live phytoplankton. All of this was at least once a day, usually twice. The clam also got clam feast a few times a week which I'm sure the Gorgonians ate as well. Between the Macros and changing the filter floss almost daily the tank stayed clean.  don't think I'd do gorgonians without Macros to help keep it clean.I

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, StinkyBunny said:

Give the gorgs some phytoplankton as well. My leathers are doing SO much better now that I've started feeding it to them.

They get it when I give it to the clam. I feed a pretty good amount then leave the pump off from anywhere to 30-60 minutes

• Like 1

Hi Penny!  I wanted to tell you that this tank is absolutely gorgeous!  Definitely an inspiration to me in setting up my new IM 14.  I love that you stuck to the Florida biotope theme.  I grew up in Florida and started scuba diving there, and the reefs are just beautiful.  I have such a weakness for the gorgonians and sea fans.  Very impressive what you managed to do with this tank in only 100 days.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
5 hours ago, Felicia said:

Hi Penny!  I wanted to tell you that this tank is absolutely gorgeous!  Definitely an inspiration to me in setting up my new IM 14.  I love that you stuck to the Florida biotope theme.  I grew up in Florida and started scuba diving there, and the reefs are just beautiful.  I have such a weakness for the gorgonians and sea fans.  Very impressive what you managed to do with this tank in only 100 days.

Vote! Vote! Vote! :P

But seriously, Thank you. I have really enjoyed this tank, even more than my 29. I don't get to dive much lately, between work, weather, and injuries-But I can enjoy my little piece of the reef everyday. 

Can't wait to see what you do with yours.

• Like 1
On 8/15/2017 at 9:09 AM, Pjanssen said:

Yeah. I need to learn to inspect things better before I put them in my tank. And to ask questions while in the LFS. You'd think after all these years I'd know better

They most likely damaged it getting it out of the tank it came from. RFAs don't recover really from foot tears - I agree with seabass - it definitely wasn't the lighting. I had one that went into a crevice with no light for 6 months. I thought it had died but it came out one day. Granted, it lost most of its color and was very small but it has since fully recovered! 

I love this tank, Penny. Ha. I keep saying it but it is just so cool. 

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Pjanssen said:

Vote! Vote! Vote! :P

But seriously, Thank you. I have really enjoyed this tank, even more than my 29. I don't get to dive much lately, between work, weather, and injuries-But I can enjoy my little piece of the reef everyday. 

Can't wait to see what you do with yours.

I already voted :D. I haven't been diving in ages myself due to being busy and my regular dive buddy having a baby a few months back. I'm hoping to get back to it soon, but I'm with you on the tank being a little piece of reef. I missed having my piece of reef to look at everyday! I bet yours is definitely enjoyable to just sit and watch!

• Like 1

Now that the contest is over, this tank is getting a bit of an overhaul. Took out a couple of rocks, and most of the macro algae. The macros will go back in, and maybe 1 of the rocks, but I want to look at it for a little while before deciding how much and where to put things. I also plan to add more gorgs soon.

36960139095_be75de7778.jpgIM 14 overhaul by Penny, on Flickr

36151362213_bb7179fdfb.jpgIM 14 overhaul by Penny, on Flickr

• Like 7
  • Pjanssen changed the title to Penny's IM14-Retired 7/18/2021