Cultivated Reef

Where the Wild Things Are: 100 Days (rezing the thread)

lkoechle

Vendor Reveal

Our entire tank is being furnished from Tampa Bay Saltwater (TBS) http://www.tampabaysaltwater.com/. We decided to try "The Package" as our sole source of biology for this tank. This starts with sand and live rock but is also including cleanup crew. While not guaranteed, TBS has built a reputation for sending tons of extras with their package. This is exactly why we wanted to do this for the competition. We wanted a new challenge. This is a natural reef and we don’t have any idea what we would actually be receiving.

The rest of this post is going to describe the process of ordering and receiving the livestock from TBS. For the meat of the tank skip down to the following post where @lkoechle talks about the actual tank.

TBS owns a 5-acre lease site 6 miles off the coast of Florida. In, 1993 the dropped over 1 million pounds of imported Bahamian coral rock from a barge onto the site. When ordered, the rock is handpicked during diving and placed in sea water for transportation back to their facility. It is then placed in their large holding system vats for 3 to 14 days allowing die off from collection damage to take place.

TBS ships their package out in two shipments. First you get 100% of your sand and 50% of your live rock. Both as shipped completely submerged in water. They normally call you to arrange shipment. However, we had previously told them that we needed it to arrive on the 10th (hence @lkoechle getting the tank wet as fast as she could. Our first shipment arrived only a few hours later). TBS only ships collect via Air Freight. So it can only be received at an airport IN THE U.S. that their carriers fly to. And be prepared to pay shipping costs on pickup. The airlines would like for you to arrive very close to the time the flight lands, due to the live animals. For us, it took 30 minutes after the plane landed for both shipments for the pickup to be available.

TBS has very explicit instructions on how to handle and acclimate their product. Their website also has fairly extensive identification resources for what can reasonably hitchhike and a short list of animals you want to inspect for and remove. It’s so well explained, I honestly can only think of one person that could mess this up... and I think we all know who that is :)

Once the cycle has completed after about a week (we barely had one), you call them and request your second shipment. They will then send out your last 50% of rock (fully submerged in water), cleanup crew and any extras.

So, what is the difference between ordering live rock and sand and ordering "The Package"?

First, ordering live sand/rock you would get all of your stuff in one shipment unless you specifically ordered it in two separate shipments. We ordered a 15-gallon package which is 30 lbs of live rock and 15 lbs of live sand. Outside "The Package" this cost $204 + shipping. This is $150 for LR, $30 for sand, and $8/box used.

Second, you miss out on the cleanup crew and the extras. The cost? $10 more for a 15 gallon... That’s right! And honestly, considering there is an additional box at $8 you are truly only paying $2 for all the livestock!!!! (plus shipping :P)

I don't know how often they do this, but we did specifically tell them that we wanted a mantis for another tank. And then we split "The Package" between the two tanks. In the end, between a 14G and 5G we actually did not use about 10 lbs of rock. We are going to cure it and save it for a future tank.

Shipping is very expensive due to everything being shipped wet. And picking up at the airport is not convenient at all. However, I think the results speak for themselves. Now @lkoechle just has to keep it all alive. SPOILER ALERT! This pistol shrimp already killed something...

• Like 8

Today was a huge exciting day!  We can put everyone ( @Mariaface @Lula_Mae) out of their misery and I can reveal my tanks and change my first post! (Which I will also post here after this post and then have my first post edited)  This is where it really begins!

We got a crap ton of stuff, a crap ton, so this is pretty much a giant photo dump.  I don’t even know where to begin really.  I guess with the boxes.

34632399381_85133b81bc_c.jpg

33955579843_b551b28f51_c.jpg

Critter box

34764071545_27f199d01e_c.jpg

:D

34379090720_6b83a951d0_c.jpg

Seaweed Blenny <-love this fish-

34379084210_6dca5b23b1_c.jpg

Two shrimp… the big one got killed by the pistol… he’s grumpy and way more snappy than Yoshii (the mantis)

33955566363_4dbd0939ee_c.jpg

Seastar and I can’t post a pic of the other one because you can see it’s wound and honestly it makes me nauseous.

33922356694_cb83e40d15_c.jpg

Urchin.

33955564063_2c96cde3db_c.jpg

Seacucumber 1

34602454342_217e888b24_c.jpg

Seacucumber 2

I still did research on these guys but came to the conclusion that they are still unsuitable for my tank.  I’ve left my original research on this first post.  We took these guys to the LFS and didn’t even bother acclimating, just kept them at temp in their bags. You know, because actually care about our inhabitants…

33922200644_99735df5a9_c.jpg

At the LFS.

33922209694_94bda691af_c.jpg

34724334416_65fb96ac47_c.jpg

34379048480_7e2ec41288_c.jpg

Three bags full of macro, sponges, and gorgonians.

And yes, I did get my mantis.  But you’ll have to go to the creature feature for that. ;) Oh, BTW, he’s PERFECT!

And there is a bunch of uninteresting stuff like your run of the mill CUC.

33922354294_7e42209d83_c.jpg

Temp acclimating everyone.  Let’s move on to the rock box shall we?

33922349944_2874106965_c.jpg

Rocks

34602557112_4532aa901e_c.jpg

-gasp- What is this?!

34764163205_792d47cd96_c.jpg

Can it be?

34764161285_2e2c42120f_c.jpg

MR CLING HAS A MRS CLING!

34764167385_2430d54426_c.jpg

The perfect mantis hole.  And yes, this did go in the mantis tank.  And yes, Yoshii is currently living in it.

FTS Time!

34724472456_8ccb948e67_c.jpg

33955623713_bfb634c610_c.jpg

33955620553_22c58bf19d_c.jpg

33922189874_821d13318e_c.jpg

34379117950_fdcffb0ec3_c.jpg

34379122480_f481a6fb8d_c.jpg

33922261614_faed1cecf0_c.jpg

33922269564_4622074d42_c.jpg

Injured serpent star in the breeder box in tank.

33955617093_cc511aa429_c.jpg

Urchin

34724483126_5fba9396e4_c.jpg

I’m concerned about its base, but it hasn’t gotten any worse so maybe it’ll heal.  I’m keeping an eye on it.  It’d be a shame to lose it.  It’s a beautiful piece.

Of things I’m wanted, I’m only disappointed I didn’t get an anemone.  But seriously, you can’t beat it.  We only paid for rock, sand, and a CUC. Lol

All three fish ate tonight.  Mr Cling, Mrs Cling, and the Blenny (unnamed)  Couldn’t be happier! :D

I am nervous about the levels though… Probably going to put Prime in before bed for peace of mind…

• Like 11

Boom not sure of :lol: Hell its rock and you live really close.....................

Stuff looks great but if shipped to me well who knows what lives and what dies...............

Just now, spectra said:

Boom not sure of :lol: Hell its rock and you live really close.....................

Stuff looks great but if shipped to me well who knows what lives and what dies...............

Sponges, Coral, Fish, and Inverts are not rock.... It shipped from Tampa to Atlanta, changes planes and then flew into JAX... so would probably get to you in roughly the same amount of time since our ship time is about 4 hours, yours might be 6? I seriously doubt you would see any additional die off.

*waits patiently for source reveal* :lol:

I love that you named the mantis Yoshii.  And a Mrs. Cling!  And a seaweed blenny!  You should call him Nori or something. :lol:

Sponges and macros and corals, oh my!  Stuff looks fantastic. :)

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Lula_Mae said:

*waits patiently for source reveal* :lol:

I love that you named the mantis Yoshii.  And a Mrs. Cling!  And a seaweed blenny!  You should call him Nori or something. :lol:

Sponges and macros and corals, oh my!  Stuff looks fantastic. :)

Nori is a fantastic name! And the fish is a ham.  I've never had a blenny before and he's so curious and not afraid.

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, skoechle said:

Sponges, Coral, Fish, and Inverts are not rock.... It shipped from Tampa to Atlanta, changes planes and then flew into JAX... so would probably get to you in roughly the same amount of time since our ship time is about 4 hours, yours might be 6? I seriously doubt you would see any additional die off.

Oh yes I would I am on the left coast and well a lot farther than you.....................

I had things ship from KP and well it took about 15 hours or more to get here..............

And well you are buying rock the sponges, coral and inverts are all just extra...........I am heading to a local store tomorrow who just had 200lbs come in. Will see what it looks like as like I said we are just a bit further north than you are ;)

4 minutes ago, lkoechle said:

Nori is a fantastic name! And the fish is a ham.  I've never had a blenny before and he's so curious and not afraid.

Those kinda fish are the best!

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, ninjamyst said:

so all the sponges and inverts were "extras" and part of the Package?  that's a great deal.  although I thought those sponges are very difficult to care for...

Yep all extras.  We didn't buy anything but the package. I've heard the same thing about sponges.  But that's part of the challenge.  I've read the ball and orange sponges are easier.  We'll see.  I've gotten a lot of food and am planning on experimenting with silica dosing.  I've re done my first post, so there's all my research links there about all that and sponge care.

• Like 3
11 minutes ago, stellablue said:

Sponges seem to do well with live phyto for me. Actually the rest of the tank inhabitants as well too. 

I bought phytofeast as well kz sponge power, a couple brightwell products, and the silica for dosing.

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, lkoechle said:

I bought phytofeast as well kz sponge power, a couple brightwell products, and the silica for dosing.

Is phytofeast live or preserved? The preserved doesn't seem to do well in my experience. I also use the KZ spongepower! It's great stuff!! Great for molluscs and bivalves too!

8 minutes ago, Coral_chef said:

Looks amazing!

so does that mean you've only spent 10$ of the 500$ budget? Technically 

Technically yes and it was split between two tanks :P

This is so beautiful I want to cry

And to reorder my rocks, because what the shit, man.

Though I guess shipping to EWR or JFK would make pickup a serious pain... Ugh, you guys are killing me, Smalls!

• Like 2
9 hours ago, Weetabix7 said:

This is even better than I imagined, and I imagined something pretty darn good. :wub:

Thank you!  I didnt know what to expect.  Like I said earliwr, I was worried we wouldn't be able to fit everything!

9 hours ago, kimberbee said:

O m g... Mrs. Cling!! :wub:

We were so surprised! What are the odds?  They are getting along so far.  There was a scuffle over food, but no active aggression.  They both will be out at thw same time with no issues as long as food isnt present.

8 hours ago, stellablue said:

Is phytofeast live or preserved? The preserved doesn't seem to do well in my experience. I also use the KZ spongepower! It's great stuff!! Great for molluscs and bivalves too!

I think its live.  Its Reef Nutrition, they do the bottled live tiggerpods and stuff. I will have to double check.

8 hours ago, fishfreak0114 said:

omgomgomg:haha: So much awesomeness!  The tank looks great!  I can't wait to see what this tank looks like after 100 days!

I hope it still looks good! lol Keeping everything for the 100 days is the challenge!

8 hours ago, Coral_chef said:

Looks amazing!

so does that mean you've only spent 10$ of the 500$ budget? Technically 

Thanks!

7 hours ago, Mariaface said:

This is so beautiful I want to cry

And to reorder my rocks, because what the shit, man.

Though I guess shipping to EWR or JFK would make pickup a serious pain... Ugh, you guys are killing me, Smalls!

It is by far the best liverock I have ever seen and totally worth the hassel.  The "surprises" are a little stressful if you're a bit of a control freak like me. lol  But fun too.

7 hours ago, 1891Bro said:

IMG_1656.GIF

IMG_1657.GIF

Everyone else who enetered!

That is some awesome arrivals? Sick. Just, sick. 

Thank you! but be nice. lol  There are other contrst tanks I am already jealous of.  I just want to have them all! 

• Like 6

@lkoechle Reef nutrition sells a live and a preserved. Honestly, dosing live phyto daily has been the best thing I've ever done for my tanks. The phyto uses up nutrients until it is consumed by something too. The preserved will get eaten by corals and such but like other foods, it will add nitrates and phosphates to the tank. You have to get some. The difference with live is crazy! 

• Like 3