Pod Your Reef

Mochi's Sushi Tank 750XXL - Updated FTS

pokerdobe

1 hour ago, spectra said:

Dang thats some great growth in 8 months...........

My tank is maybe 7 months old right now. Rocks was pulled from my previous tank with some new pieces added. As for dosing I just use fritz alk and cal..........nothing else.......looking into maybe starting.......any recommendations ?

I actually keep my maintenance pretty simple. The only thing I dose is ESV B-Ionic 2 part, supplemented by 10% weekly water changes. You can read where I tried zeovit for a short while a couple posts above and the only thing I saw happen was STN on the Solar Flare colony. I stopped and it actually seems like the necrosis has halted or slowed down significantly. 

7 months is actually kind of the younger side - so time and tank maturity may help out. I would be curious to see how your acros fare as you hit the 1 year mark - that's where my of my explosive growth happened. I personally believe that most tanks really only mature as they hit 1 year, instead of the 6 month mark that the internet likes to say. 

Are your sticks currently lacking growth? Coloration issues? 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, pokerdobe said:

I actually keep my maintenance pretty simple. The only thing I dose is ESV B-Ionic 2 part, supplemented by 10% weekly water changes. You can read where I tried zeovit for a short while a couple posts above and the only thing I saw happen was STN on the Solar Flare colony. I stopped and it actually seems like the necrosis has halted or slowed down significantly. 

7 months is actually kind of the younger side - so time and tank maturity may help out. I would be curious to see how your acros fare as you hit the 1 year mark - that's where my of my explosive growth happened. I personally believe that most tanks really only mature as they hit 1 year, instead of the 6 month mark that the internet likes to say. 

Are your sticks currently lacking growth? Coloration issues? 

Yeah I used to use ESV but hated the brick of alk you got...………...so swapped to fritz...…...as for water changes I lack on those and usually do a once a month 50 gallon or so.....maybe step it up and do a smaller one more often. 

Growth is slow and color is faded on a few......PE is lacking and thinking a fish is bugging them.....going to pull the booger and put it in the sump and see what happens......

I do know this coming weekend I need to totally clean out the sump as there is some detritus down there......

• Like 1
2 hours ago, spectra said:

Yeah I used to use ESV but hated the brick of alk you got...………...so swapped to fritz...…...as for water changes I lack on those and usually do a once a month 50 gallon or so.....maybe step it up and do a smaller one more often. 

Growth is slow and color is faded on a few......PE is lacking and thinking a fish is bugging them.....going to pull the booger and put it in the sump and see what happens......

I do know this coming weekend I need to totally clean out the sump as there is some detritus down there......

The lack of color would usually point me towards a nutrient issue. I think @mitten_reef saw his corals color up more with an uptick in po4. 

What is your no3 and po4?

• Like 2

Fantastic growth!! Jealous. I within a month of my year mark and have seen an increased use of alkaline and calcium. Running too clean for a while, stopped NOPOX, have a macroalgae reactor and starting dosing small amount of NeoNitro. 

mitten_reef
3 hours ago, pokerdobe said:

The lack of color would usually point me towards a nutrient issue. I think @mitten_reef saw his corals color up more with an uptick in po4. 

Even with the tiny amount of phosguard that I used, it was affecting the yellow/orange colors in acan and zoas, and maybe a little bit in acros. I think light does a lot more in the yellow on acros. 

Hey do you happen to have an acid trip Millie?  I think the seller said it was RMF.   I could use a photo reference 😬, picked up a frag for $25 - a bargain, if it’s the real deal. 

See this is why this should be totm at some point. Tank is incredible.. much knowledge to be gained from a in depth write up 😁

3 hours ago, pokerdobe said:

no3 was 0 this morning on my red sea kit.....po4 on the ultra low was .12 it has went up as last time I was only .04..... turned my skimmer off and fed a little more.......

my mag was a little low this morning when testing so ordered some and will dose it back up.....

2 hours ago, picoreef78 said:

Fantastic growth!! Jealous. I within a month of my year mark and have seen an increased use of alkaline and calcium. Running too clean for a while, stopped NOPOX, have a macroalgae reactor and starting dosing small amount of NeoNitro. 

Thanks! Running clean is something that's been repeated for so long, it's hard to get out of the mentality. I remember when I started off, the goal was 0/0 for No3 and Po4... we've really come a long way since then. 

35 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

Even with the tiny amount of phosguard that I used, it was affecting the yellow/orange colors in acan and zoas, and maybe a little bit in acros. I think light does a lot more in the yellow on acros. 

Hey do you happen to have an acid trip Millie?  I think the seller said it was RMF.   I could use a photo reference 😬, picked up a frag for $25 - a bargain, if it’s the real deal. 

I have the ASD Rainbow mille, which I can trace lineage. 

I have one mille that I'm not quite certain what it is. It came from my LFS, but the same tank has ASD Rainbow, RMF Acid Trip, and Solar Flare milles. To be honest... I think they're all the same, or the difference are so minute, it's hard to tell. Picture below. 

1663434691_SolarFlare-10_21_2019.thumb.jpg.16f3998c4189ddfce38ef409e917d77d.jpg

20 minutes ago, FISHnChix said:

See this is why this should be totm at some point. Tank is incredible.. much knowledge to be gained from a in depth write up 😁

Haha, I'm not sure if I'm more lucky than knowledgeable. I do run an incredibly simple system. I've patented it as the DFTI method. Don't F****** Touch It. Unfortunately, unlike all my competitor methods, I don't have any fancy supplements to sell. 

4 minutes ago, spectra said:

no3 was 0 this morning on my red sea kit.....po4 on the ultra low was .12 it has went up as last time I was only .04..... turned my skimmer off and fed a little more.......

my mag was a little low this morning when testing so ordered some and will dose it back up.....

Hmm. I think Po4 at .12 should be ok - just don't let it rise too fast. You do probably want No3 to rise a little as readable numbers is always good. Maybe try and keep readable levels of No3 for a month or two and see what happens? 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...
mitten_reef
10 hours ago, pokerdobe said:

Every so often, I want to be like the online vendors and I crank up the blues. 

1751393869_TGCCherryBomb-Small.thumb.jpg.9610588cc18ca88c5743cb648ccc16af.jpg

1919969436_Confetti-small.thumb.jpg.aedf9ae0a3d92b4fff8c5fb9fd472705.jpg

1095497837_TGCFoxyLady-small.thumb.jpg.dc2ddfb670a82eb21d782f63e7c0d548.jpg

45 minutes ago, pokerdobe said:

A few of more shots under blues. 

1436662996_ColoradoSunburstsmall.thumb.jpg.c005637a18e11e478c7c98ab9d841920.jpg

1958500559_EternalFlame-small.thumb.jpg.817282d6a77836d82a7bc9f59152abb4.jpg

662632989_RedRocketsmall.thumb.jpg.00118b9fdd41036d4bba4e34d5953e98.jpg

These are amazing!!  ummm, can I have some? Too many pink/green and red/green combo in my tank.  😄 Finally got me some orange acros, now you're putting me on a lookout for the blue/pink or blue/red combo.  

• Like 1
56 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

These are amazing!!  ummm, can I have some? Too many pink/green and red/green combo in my tank.  😄 Finally got me some orange acros, now you're putting me on a lookout for the blue/pink or blue/red combo.  

Thanks!

Unless your tank is windex colored all the time, skip the pink and blue 😛. Orange definitely stands out the most, no matter what. 

• Like 2

Great tank!

I saw my orals and coloring perk up stopping NOPOX dosing. Was using Coral Aminos but didn’t don’t really see a significant improvement. Still using Acropower until I run out. PO4 between 0 and 0.01 erring on 0.01 and NO3 of 0.25. Every so often dosing NeoNitro to get th eleven up a little. Probably running my tank too clean. Funny that was the thing to do until a couple of years ago. 

What camera do you use? Are you using an orange filter for the LED artifact/white balance?

• Like 1
10 hours ago, picoreef78 said:

Great tank!

I saw my orals and coloring perk up stopping NOPOX dosing. Was using Coral Aminos but didn’t don’t really see a significant improvement. Still using Acropower until I run out. PO4 between 0 and 0.01 erring on 0.01 and NO3 of 0.25. Every so often dosing NeoNitro to get th eleven up a little. Probably running my tank too clean. Funny that was the thing to do until a couple of years ago. 

What camera do you use? Are you using an orange filter for the LED artifact/white balance?

Yeah, P04 and No3 is pretty critical to tank coloration - it's finding that right balance. You don't want it to run away on you, but zeroing out is bad too. 

Camera wise, I'm using the Nikon D5500. I only use the orange filter for LED blue only shots. Otherwise, I shoot normally, no filters. 

21 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

We need to have a chat, see you in the DM. 

Plenty of frags to go around.................plus you need a bigger tank............:biggrin: our sumps hold more than your tank.............. :lol:

• Haha 1
  • Wow 1

So harsh reminders in getting too complacent. 

I'll admit, I've gotten lazy in testing and started letting longer and longer times go by without checking my parameters. In addition, I just flat out stopped testing for a few, like NO3. Long story short, after implementing GFO and turning off NoPox cold turkey, the following happened;

• NO3 shot up from an average of 1-5 to 50 to 100. This caused a shock to my system which caused my acros to stop growing. This in turn...
  • Caused from Alk to jump from an average of 8.1 to 9.3. This caused burnt tips and necrosis across multiple acros.
  • Consequently, my tank now looks like crap. I have burnt tips/necrosis across my Fox Flame, PC Rainbow, Phoenix Monti, Pearlberry. 
  • I strongly suspect the necrosis to the a portion of the base of my mille was also due to this. 

It's been a slow journey back and I imagine my tank will be feeling the repercussions for a while. My daily alk consumption has dropped from 75ml of ESV to 54ml. I have some severe PO4 to NO3 imbalance at the moment. (PO4 measures around .01 to .03 at the moment).

• Sad 1
  • Wow 1
mitten_reef
2 hours ago, pokerdobe said:

So harsh reminders in getting too complacent. 

I'll admit, I've gotten lazy in testing and started letting longer and longer times go by without checking my parameters. In addition, I just flat out stopped testing for a few, like NO3. Long story short, after implementing GFO and turning off NoPox cold turkey, the following happened;

• NO3 shot up from an average of 1-5 to 50 to 100. This caused a shock to my system which caused my acros to stop growing. This in turn...
  • Caused from Alk to jump from an average of 8.1 to 9.3. This caused burnt tips and necrosis across multiple acros.
  • Consequently, my tank now looks like crap. I have burnt tips/necrosis across my Fox Flame, PC Rainbow, Phoenix Monti, Pearlberry. 
  • I strongly suspect the necrosis to the a portion of the base of my mille was also due to this. 

It's been a slow journey back and I imagine my tank will be feeling the repercussions for a while. My daily alk consumption has dropped from 75ml of ESV to 54ml. I have some severe PO4 to NO3 imbalance at the moment. (PO4 measures around .01 to .03 at the moment).

What r u gonna do about the N and P imbalance?  Doing water changes to bring down N, and dose some P?

15 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

What r u gonna do about the N and P imbalance?  Doing water changes to bring down N, and dose some P?

Pretty much this. Been doing 10% changes daily to bring down N at a manageable rate - dosing P alongside to keep it up around .08-.09. 

When it rains it pours right? Found one of my torches facedown in a colony of grandis palys. I really hope this doesn't kill the torches. If it does, I'm chunking the palys into the sewer. 

• Like 1
mitten_reef
11 hours ago, pokerdobe said:

When it rains it pours right? Found one of my torches facedown in a colony of grandis palys.

usually how it goes.  Wouldn't the torch have just lit up the paly?  I thought they have pretty strong sting.  but I've never kept a paly grandis, so don't know how potent they are when it comes to coral warfare.  ps - are they the one with palytoxin?  if so, please dispose carefully should you decide to do so.    

• pokerdobe changed the title to Mochi's Sushi Tank 750XXL - Updated FTS