Pod Your Reef

Teenyreef's Deep Blue 30g - Massive Reorg

teenyreef

Scroll down to the bryopsis section and picture. Looks similar. Maybe?

https://www.reefcleaners.org/nuisance-algae-id-guide

Mine don't have the stem and leaf pattern but like you said, mine are still small and undeveloped. Mine do look a lot like some of the pictures in the Reef2Reef thread, though.

So I just ordered some fluconazole because from what I've read, it also works on GHA, it can be combined with Vibrant, and it doesn't harm corals or fish so it can't hurt to try. Besides, the only corals in this tank right now are test frags that I can afford to lose anyway.

For those that are interested, here's where I just ordered mine: https://www.payless-petproducts.com/fluconazole200.html

And here's the thread on r2r, complete with FAQ on the first page: http://www.reef2reef.com/threads/bryopsis-cure-my-battle-with-bryopsis-using-fluconazole.285096/

• Like 3

Chemical warfare is most effective, though probably a last resort. I've dipped rocks and frags in hydrogen peroxide (50/50 with tank water), and it's amazing how it target kills algae, but it does leave collateral damage, namely your coralline algae die, too.

• Like 1

Chemical warfare is most effective, though probably a last resort. I've dipped rocks and frags in hydrogen peroxide (50/50 with tank water), and it's amazing how it target kills algae, but it does leave collateral damage, namely your coralline algae die, too.

I'm a big believer in peroxide, it really helps my zoas almost any time they seem to be unhappy. It's the only way I've kept this stuff in check all this time, but since I'm starting a new tank I'm going to make sure it gets started clean.

If chemicals don't do it, then I'll just nuke the frags and bleach the bio brick and start from scratch.

Plus, the other limitation of peroxide is you can't use it on sps. I found that out the hard way a long time ago :(

A small foxface will eat it. (if the chemical route doesn't work.)

I'm a big believer in peroxide, it really helps my zoas almost any time they seem to be unhappy. It's the only way I've kept this stuff in check all this time, but since I'm starting a new tank I'm going to make sure it gets started clean.

If chemicals don't do it, then I'll just nuke the frags and bleach the bio brick and start from scratch.

Plus, the other limitation of peroxide is you can't use it on sps. I found that out the hard way a long time ago :(

• Like 1

Have fun with the Fluco... you'll feel like a weirdo as you take sheer, perverse joy watching your bryopsis melt more and more each day. It is damn effective, and will kill the stuff.... roots and all.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Pjanssen said:

Hi Teeny.

Just wondering if you're happy with your calcium reactor on this tank. trying to decide whether to go this route or 2part auto doser on my tank. 

Funny you should ask - I meant to post an update on the calcium reactor last night. I have to say I don't like it, but only because it leaked right where the pump joined the body of the reactor. I emailed Marine Depot about it, they said it could be repaired, but they'd prefer to just replace it. Oh, and it turns out that it's been discontinued and their out of stock, so would I like one of the new AquaMaxx cTech T-NANO model instead? So I just returned the old reactor, and they'll be shipping me the new one next week. 

It's a new design which doesn't have the pump directly connected to the body, so I think that was a bad design decision that they've changed. It's also a hang-on style which is good because I think it should take up less room since there's no base and it can hang right on the side of the sump.

• Like 4

The Scribbled and Orangespot rabbitfish mow through it like mad. I had it in the one QT system and they did away with it in about 3 weeks. phaelena gobies will eat it too, but only those from Fiji or Indonesia. The ones from Fiji will grab HUGE mouthfuls of furry algae and eat it.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, StinkyBunny said:

The Scribbled and Orangespot rabbitfish mow through it like mad. I had it in the one QT system and they did away with it in about 3 weeks. phaelena gobies will eat it too, but only those from Fiji or Indonesia. The ones from Fiji will grab HUGE mouthfuls of furry algae and eat it.

I put the Fluconazole in yesterday and took a picture. I'm going to try to get a picture every day just to see what happens.

I still don't even know if it's bryopsis for sure...but if the Fluco doesn't work, I think a fish will be the next step, thanks for the recommendations! But I don't have a tank topper yet. Maybe I'll rig something up with a homemade screen. Or I could go completely ghetto like @metrokat and hang some netting over the top :P

Isn't a 30g too small for a rabbitfish though? Maybe a scribbled one would be OK until he outgrows the tank. I'd never thought about the phaelena goby before. Looks like it's what Liveaquaria calls a sleeper banded goby, right? Do you think it would be ok with bare bottom since it's a sand sifter?

21 minutes ago, StinkyBunny said:

In a bare bottom, better stick with the Rabbitfish. If you were close I'd loan you my little Orangespot and Scribbled, I have 1 of each that are 2".

Yeah, I guess I'll have to find one local. Fortunately we have a lot of local fish stores with good fish selection down here. I think I'll probalby look for a small scribbled.

In the meantime, I'll start posting daily pictures of the algae just to see if anything changes other than it getting bushier and thicker.

This is day 1, immediately after dosing Fluco:

Algae Day 1

Day 2:

Algae Day 2

• Like 6
9 hours ago, teenyreef said:

Funny you should ask - I meant to post an update on the calcium reactor last night. I have to say I don't like it, but only because it leaked right where the pump joined the body of the reactor. I emailed Marine Depot about it, they said it could be repaired, but they'd prefer to just replace it. Oh, and it turns out that it's been discontinued and their out of stock, so would I like one of the new AquaMaxx cTech T-NANO model instead? So I just returned the old reactor, and they'll be shipping me the new one next week. 

It's a new design which doesn't have the pump directly connected to the body, so I think that was a bad design decision that they've changed. It's also a hang-on style which is good because I think it should take up less room since there's no base and it can hang right on the side of the sump.

That stinks having a leak. What a hassle. I guess I wasn't asking about the specific reactor though, just how do you like a reactor in general over a 2 part doser. How are your ca/alk levels? I was actually looking at the AquaMaxx T-Nano.

• Like 1

It started leaking when I first set it up so I can't report based on personal experience yet. But it should be very good for maintaining levels. But you still need to dose two part if Alk and calcium are out of balance. 

The biggest problem so far is just the expense of the setup. The reactor itself is only a third or half the total setup cost. 

• Like 2
17 hours ago, teenyreef said:

I put the Fluconazole in yesterday and took a picture. I'm going to try to get a picture every day just to see what happens.

I still don't even know if it's bryopsis for sure...but if the Fluco doesn't work, I think a fish will be the next step, thanks for the recommendations! But I don't have a tank topper yet. Maybe I'll rig something up with a homemade screen. Or I could go completely ghetto like @metrokat and hang some netting over the top :P

Isn't a 30g too small for a rabbitfish though? Maybe a scribbled one would be OK until he outgrows the tank. I'd never thought about the phaelena goby before. Looks like it's what Liveaquaria calls a sleeper banded goby, right? Do you think it would be ok with bare bottom since it's a sand sifter?

I'm not just ghetto, I'm ghettofabulous. :lol:

• Like 1
18 hours ago, teenyreef said:

Yeah, I guess I'll have to find one local. Fortunately we have a lot of local fish stores with good fish selection down here. I think I'll probalby look for a small scribbled.

In the meantime, I'll start posting daily pictures of the algae just to see if anything changes other than it getting bushier and thicker.

This is day 1, immediately after dosing Fluco:

Algae Day 1

Day 2:

Algae Day 2

that looks promising already. I just ordered my fluco a few days ago and yesterday I put it in. cant quite see a difference like yours yet though. this gives me hope still

• Like 1
4 hours ago, metrokat said:

I'm not just ghetto, I'm ghettofabulous. :lol:

:lol: my top from Artfully Acrylics is on order too, but it must be behind yours because I haven't gotten the automated email yet :(

• Like 1

I started some rockscaping ideas tonight. Somehow the picture in my head has been slowly morphing from a 100% frag tank with eggcrate frag racks, to more of a display tank with some frag racks embedded in between the rocks.

My uncut eggcrate is about 22" wide, so I used it as a template for the tank to lay out some rocks. In the pictures, the thick tube on the right represents the right side of the tank. I tried to lay out the rocks so that there's at least an inch between the rocks and the sides of the tanks. In the top down the camera angle makes it look like the rock on the left is overhanging the egg crate but it's actually just even with it.

20170218_200642.jpg

20170218_200702.jpg

This one is the angle I'll see looking at the tank from my desk.

20170218_200714.jpg

Now I need to just go away for a little while and then look at it with fresh eyes. And then change it all again. About 20 times :lol: 

• Like 8
29 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

:lol: my top from Artfully Acrylics is on order too, but it must be behind yours because I haven't gotten the automated email yet :(

I just emailed them today about the status - hadn't heard back after that automated email 9 days ago. Also I needed 2 additional cut outs for wires on the back of the lid.

• Like 1