Cultivated Reef

Teenyreef's Deep Blue 30g - Massive Reorg

teenyreef

You think smart sir. ;)

i dont think there's a way to save the light.

you can send it to me though.

Use a wire/cable grouping clip on the side of the wall. I can also make a new style kit. Just slide in through two of the T5 vent holes. :D

My house can be a mess as long as all the pictures are hanging perfectly straight. Having this light sit at a tilt would drive me crazy :lol:

That's good thinking. I probably have some sitting around the garage too...

:lol: Actually, after just leaving it sitting there, letting the cable relax, and occasionally twisting it the other way, I've got it sitting almost level. But not quite :blink:

• Like 1

You think smart sir. ;)

Use a wire/cable grouping clip on the side of the wall. I can also make a new style kit. Just slide in through two of the T5 vent holes. :D

That's what I was thinking - just make a cable loop through the vent holes like the new-style hanging kit. I just need the wire grippers that connect the hanging wire to the loop, which I'll get through a $10 kit from Amazon arriving tomorrow :)

In the meantime, I've got it sitting level now.So I'll probably procrastinate rehanging it until I have to move it and it gets messed up again :happy:

It lives on! Looks good too!

It's a beautiful light - thanks for offering it up for sale!

Scaping with eggcrate? Maybe if you paint it dark purple it might work. :D

Lol, I hadn't thought of that. No, I think basic black will work. I just want to put in enough live rock so that it isn't the standard "fill a box with egg crate" look.

• Like 1

The Nanobox is hanging nice and level, so I'll be procrastinating on redoing the hanging system.

I got the new EB-8 power strip for the Apex yesterday and rerouted all the power cables inside and out. Everything's hooked up and I'm out of outlets again. I have a second wall outlet just a few feet further down the wall, so I may end up running a regular power strip from the outlet just to have a few spares.

Then I spent all night last night getting the calcium reactor hooked up, only to find it's leaking from the joint where the pump is attached to the body :rant:

Time to email Marine Depot. I know they'll take care of it, but it's just frustrating because there's no way to find out it's leaking until all the lines are run and it's filled with media and water. On the bright side, I was able to figure out a way to tap off of the circulation pump I put in the sump for the feed, so that worked out well.

• Like 1

Stinks about the reactor teeny.. I'm working on getting my apex all hooked up should I get a pm1 or 2 to help monitor parameters in the second tank..I can't decide between them

• Like 1

For me, it's PM1 all the way, I think Ph is a much more useful measurement than salinity or orp. No one's sure what orp really means and how it translates to something you should actually do to the tank. Salinity is usually very stable so all a salinity probe does fro you is warn you if you have an ATO overflow. But I check the Ph reading all the time, not to chase any particular number, but because a sudden change, or gradual changes over time, can tell a lot about your alkalinity level and general health of the tank.

Also, if you ever reuse the system on a bigger tank with a calcium reactor, you need a Ph probe.

• Like 1

While I'm waiting to get the calcium reactor sorted out, I got the media reactor hooked up and running some carbon. The tank got a little cloudy from the calcium reactor media, and I've got some algae growing on the glass and tank floor.

I really like the Aquamaxx FR-S reactor, it's very easy to set up and to change media. You just pull it out, pull off the pump, and take it over to the sink to do whatever needs doing.

New sump pic since I don't have much in the tank worth taking pictures of yet :lol:

32490669690_f962cb94aa_b.jpg20170212_224555.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

• Like 3

any fear of skimmer going nuts and spraying water all over the powerbar? I know with my D700, when it overflows, my entire sump gets sprayed with nasty skimmate

So far, the few times mine has overflowed I've been right there to turn it off or down, and it didn't spray, it just kind of bubbled over with a lot of water running down the sides of the cup. But that would be a nasty mess to clean up, wouldn't it? I don't think I can do much about it now, it would be way too hard to mount the EB-8 on the outside of the cabinet without draining the tank and moving the cabinet away from the wall. I've got room to plug things in, but not enough room to drive screws.

While I'm waiting to get the calcium reactor sorted out, I got the media reactor hooked up and running some carbon. The tank got a little cloudy from the calcium reactor media, and I've got some algae growing on the glass and tank floor.

I really like the Aquamaxx FR-S reactor, it's very easy to set up and to change media. You just pull it out, pull off the pump, and take it over to the sink to do whatever needs doing.

New sump pic since I don't have much in the tank worth taking pictures of yet :lol:

32490669690_f962cb94aa_b.jpg20170212_224555.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Well get to it and get some frags :P Hell ASD has a sale every Saturday :wacko: looks great so far!

• Like 2

Well get to it and get some frags :P Hell ASD has a sale every Saturday :wacko: looks great so far!

Thanks! I still haven't done anything with half the frags I got from ASD last time, though :lol:

I'm waiting to get the rock in and finish the egg crate, and then make sure the test frags still do well and don't get covered with algae.

• Like 1

So far, the few times mine has overflowed I've been right there to turn it off or down, and it didn't spray, it just kind of bubbled over with a lot of water running down the sides of the cup. But that would be a nasty mess to clean up, wouldn't it? I don't think I can do much about it now, it would be way too hard to mount the EB-8 on the outside of the cabinet without draining the tank and moving the cabinet away from the wall. I've got room to plug things in, but not enough room to drive screws.

Since you're running an apex on that tank, what about getting / making a break out box and putting a float switch in the lid of the skimmer? If it's getting near overflow the float switch will trigger and you can turn the skimmer off / have fusion send you an email/text.

• Like 1

Wow looks awesome teeny....love everything you've done so far. That sump is ridiculous.

Thanks! I really do like the sump because it saves a lot of space. Besides, it does look cool :)

Since you're running an apex on that tank, what about getting / making a break out box and putting a float switch in the lid of the skimmer? If it's getting near overflow the float switch will trigger and you can turn the skimmer off / have fusion send you an email/text.

Funny you should mention that, look what just came in the mail today:

32736708152_d7b9179fd7_c.jpg20170213_212826.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

I got it to hook up to a humidistat so I can turn the fan on and off to control humidity, instead of letting it run constantly.

I don't know if I can actually fit a float switch in the skimmer container, it might hang down so low that it shuts things off before the bowl is even close to being full. I'll have to do some research to see what options are out there.

I mentioned a few days ago that I was getting algae again. It's suddenly turned into serious nuisance algae just like I used to have in the 4g. I just posted a thread asking for help with identification: http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/380358-algae-id-help/

I'm willing to nuke everything at this point if it's the only way to get rid of this stuff for good, but if I can find something that will eat it that would be much better. Here's a picture, there are more in the thread I posted:

32047815854_e361df6298_b.jpg20170213-untitled-001.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

some threads on r2r er whatever that site is called ;) , some have been trying bleach on dinos and some fish medication (i think) for bryopsis. If you're willing to nuke everything maybe give it a try and contribute to research? Good luck!

• Like 1

some threads on r2r er whatever that site is called ;) , some have been trying bleach on dinos and some fish medication (i think) for bryopsis. If you're willing to nuke everything maybe give it a try and contribute to research? Good luck!

Yeah, the new thing for Bryopsis is fluconazole, seems to work really well. I may try some just to see what happens unless someone gives me a for-sure ID that it's something else.