Innovative Marine Aquariums

Dawn's pony garden.

vlangel

4 hours ago, Subsea said:

You should paint it blue and call it Smurf Hill.  Somewhat surreal.  It is your world.  I look for something more elegant, but that is just me.  Perhaps a Greek temple sunk  in the Agean Sea with mermaids as ponies adjourning it.

Ha ha! Hhmm, if only I could find tiny little Smurf figurines, that could be the ultimate in tacky!  I know what you mean about the seahorse statue not quite being elegant.  I was kind of hoping that macros would somewhat over grow it and it would only be barely recognizable as a seahorse.  Maybe I will leave it for a while and if it never quite becomes natural and elegant, I can remove it and replace it with rock or coral.

Mermaids and ponies together would certainly give off a mystical vibe.  It would be like something out of the Odyssey!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Tamberav said:

Thank you and his name is Shahz. 

I like the seahorse and its little shell ears... but maybe I like tacky? Lol! Your tanks are magical and I don't expect the normal black backgrounds and rock piles.

Thanks Tamberav!  Maybe I like tacky too sometimes, LOL.  I went to the art institute and us artists are a unique breed.  Add that to my free spiritedness and I might even come up with out and out weird.

• Like 1

I think the seahorse is cute, tacky or not haha.  After all, I put Santa snorkeling in my jar for the Dec. FTS last year! :lol: Did you paint the back of the new pony tank to coordinate with the other one?  It's just subtle enough I'm not sure if it's painted or shadows lol.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Lula_Mae said:

I think the seahorse is cute, tacky or not haha.  After all, I put Santa snorkeling in my jar for the Dec. FTS last year! :lol: Did you paint the back of the new pony tank to coordinate with the other one?  It's just subtle enough I'm not sure if it's painted or shadows lol.

Ok, 2 votes pro seahorse.  How did I miss the snorkling Santa?  Will he be making any appearances this year in Dec?

Yes, I did paint the back to match the other tank.  Originally I had painted it black 4 years ago but I scraped that off and changed it.  Today I got new lights for the seahorse tank but the 2 tanks still don't match.  Maybe they will when the new lights come in for the blenny garden.  The bulbs are a year and a half old so yeah, thats probably affecting the color.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, vlangel said:

Ok, 2 votes pro seahorse.  How did I miss the snorkling Santa?  Will he be making any appearances this year in Dec?

Yes, I did paint the back to match the other tank.  Originally I had painted it black 4 years ago but I scraped that off and changed it.  Today I got new lights for the seahorse tank but the 2 tanks still don't match.  Maybe they will when the new lights come in for the blenny garden.  The bulbs are a year and a half old so yeah, thats probably affecting the color.

I got pretty bad about updating, and there were about 39024 contest tanks so I think it was easy to miss some!  If I can find where I put him, I may just put him in one of the tanks this year haha.  I found it at PetSmart, I think, and was like, I GOTTA HAVE THIS IN MY JAR!!!

• Haha 1
13 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

I got pretty bad about updating, and there were about 39024 contest tanks so I think it was easy to miss some!  If I can find where I put him, I may just put him in one of the tanks this year haha.  I found it at PetSmart, I think, and was like, I GOTTA HAVE THIS IN MY JAR!!!

I will be watching for Snorkling Santa this year!😆

• Haha 1

I had not mentioned this prior because with the ponies getting sick I hated to overwhelm everyone with bad news...but Sir Galahad had disappeared from the 56 gallon blenny garden!  I felt awful and wondered if I had trapped him in a crevice when I added sand.  I felt so guilty.  Then a few days ago I thought I caught a glimpse of him in the 1st chamber of the sump.  Sure enough thats where he was but with all the rock and macros I could not find him.  He squeezes into the tiniest places in rock.  So I kept waiting.  The next time I found him, he was in the return chamber but when I got the net he had disappeared.  I was afraid he went inside the pump.  I left the return off for a long time but never saw him so finally I had to turn it on. 😢 I was really worried about having blended blenny.  It was about 3 days more before I saw him again (which was yesterday). This morning I had a plan... I waited until he was not near the intake and shut the pump off but in the same motion pulled the pump out of the chamber. I also had slipped plexiglass next to the grate divider so he could not go into the fuge or drain chambers.  Then I waited for the dust to settle and sure enough, he was wedged into the bottom corner almost impossible to see.  I gently lifted him up with my fingers into a cup of tank water.  He looks thin but unharmed.  Now he is in the blenny garden that is no longer connected to the sump.  I am feeding it fairly heavy so he should be ok.

• Like 4
  • Wow 1

Sir Galahad seems very happy to be back with his friends, especially Sir Lancelot, the other yellow head blenny.  He is eating and doesn't look as skinny as I first thought.  He is a bit skittish but I think he will settle with time.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Lula_Mae said:

Isn't your sump in the basement? That's a long way for a little guy! I don't blame him for being scared haha. 

Me either, the poor little guy has had a tough week.

• Like 1

Wow, so much has happened in the two weeks since I last caught up! Seahorses sick, seahorses recovering, a whole new tank is set up, Sir Galahad mysteriously disappears and is miraculously rescued, and the ticky tacky seahorse is actually quite cute (in my humble opinion). Whew!

• Like 3
10 hours ago, teenyreef said:

Wow, so much has happened in the two weeks since I last caught up! Seahorses sick, seahorses recovering, a whole new tank is set up, Sir Galahad mysteriously disappears and is miraculously rescued, and the ticky tacky seahorse is actually quite cute (in my humble opinion). Whew!

I know, even my head is spinning.  Last night I needed to edit the 1st posts of both my threads to reflect the changes and I kept getting confused which thread said what, and they are my threads!  That is pretty bad.  Although, you just very accurately recounted exactly what took place so I guess I was not impossibly confusing.  I will consider that a victory. 😉

• Haha 2

Tomorrow I will do an overhaul cleaning of the sump, sucking out debris and detritus, vinegar bath the skimmer, do a large WC and put Eve back into the new Seahorse garden.  Samson and Delilah still have until Thursday to make their treatment for 2 weeks.  I will evaluate their conditions at that time.

• Like 2
7 hours ago, WV Reefer said:

I can’t not like the seahorse statue. 😁

Ok pro seahorse statue:  3

Con seahorse statue: 2

Ha ha! Now I am on the fence about what I think of it again! 😂

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

Ooh, that seahorse statue is adorable! I hope you keep it in!

Don't worry Snow, I am on the fence about my feelings of it, but it stays for now regardless.  I need to give it a chance to be overgrown by macro algae and maybe even be colonized by coral.

Pro seahorse statue:  4

Con seahorse statue:  2

• Like 2

I emptied the sump sucking out all gunk and debris.  I am vinegar bathing the skimmer now.  I will probably move Eve into the seahorse garden tomorrow when I do their WC and medication.  All 3 ponies are eating really well.

I got a new powerhead for their tank.  It has tight grating so its safe and its has dual heads that put out about 1500 gph.  Thats all good but unfortunately they are huge and extremely detracting to the tank. 😬 That may force me to make a plumbing change sooner rather than later.  If I opened up my drain and ran larger diameter plumbing I could use more of my return pump power.

• Like 1
thecoralbeauty

Glad you got the blenny out! You sound like you executed your rescue plan with grace! 🙂 

Also, glad to hear the seahorses are in recovery. Your tanks are always so unique- I vote YES on the seahorse. Especially if the macros continue to grow, he will look so cute peeking out! 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, mwhitelock said:

Glad you got the blenny out! You sound like you executed your rescue plan with grace! 🙂 

Also, glad to hear the seahorses are in recovery. Your tanks are always so unique- I vote YES on the seahorse. Especially if the macros continue to grow, he will look so cute peeking out! 

Perhaps the rescue of Sir Galahad was done with grace but I pictured all sort of terrible demises that I thought he had endured, ha ha!  Its a relief that his story has a happy ending.

Tomorrow Eve goes back into the 30 gallon seahorse garden.  She never was sick but I was afraid she would be if I left her in the 56 gallon.  Her young buddies will most likely join her Thursday.  So with your vote, we are at:

Pro seahorse statue:  5

Con seahorse statue: 2

• Like 1

FTS s of both tanks

FTS s of both tanks Oct 29th 2018

I changed the lights to LED on the seahorses tank since it's not for growing coral anymore.  It should be enough to grow the macro algaes and the shimmer is very nice.

Eve can hitch in multiple places!

2018-10-29_03-33-03

She seems comfortable.

• Like 5
6 minutes ago, vlangel said:

FTS s of both tanks

FTS s of both tanks Oct 29th 2018

I changed the lights to LED on the seahorses tank since it's not for growing coral anymore.  It should be enough to grow the macro algaes and the shimmer is very nice.

Eve can hitch in multiple places!

2018-10-29_03-33-03

She seems comfortable.

Eve looks like she's making herself right at home! Is that codium she's hanging out in?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

Eve looks like she's making herself right at home! Is that codium she's hanging out in?

Yes, that is codium.  That is one macro algae that I can grow easily, although it gets fuzzy HA on it.  I will just switch it out with the codium in the fish fortress.  Linus keeps the codium HA free.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Porkpie5000 said:

+1 on the statue!

Now that Eve is in the tank it is growing on me.

Pro seahorses statue:  6

Con seahorses statue:  2

• Like 1