ReefCleaners.org

Dawn's pony garden.

vlangel

Those of you who read my journal on the fish fortress may have read that I upgraded the flow in that tank.  Since that freed up the tunze, I moved it to the pony tank.  It packs a punch in the 30 gallon XH since I have it at full flow which is around 1500 gph. I have it pointed almost straight down so as to not slam the seahorses into the rock structure.  It is very effectively lifting particulate up into the water column to be filtered.  The rest I will syphon off the bottom every other day.

• Like 3
8 hours ago, Sk8n Reefer said:

Amazing video Dawn, so fun to watch !

Hey Scott! Its good to hear from ya.  How are you and the family?  Its kind of wierd but I was just wondering a few days ago if you were able to get rid of the dinos in your 50 gallon?  I have cyano in my 56 gallon and its been stubborn.

I guess you'll be hanging up the skate board until spring.  Dave and I's motorcycles are tucked away in the garage until March or April.

As you can see I moved the ponies back into the 30g XH.  I tried slowly to add sand and fish (to their 56g) but it turned out to not be a clean enough enviroment for them and 2 of the 3 came down with skin infections.  They've only just got out of HT.  So much for avoiding MTS! LOL.  They are doing well now however.  Eve is coming on 5 years old!  She is quite the grand old lady and I call her the machiarch of the herd.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Tamberav said:

So cool! I love the yellow ones hair-do! 

Me too.  Usually erectus seahorses lose their 'cirri' when they become young adult seahorses, but Delilah is over a year and a half now, so I guess she is going to keep hers, yah!

1 minute ago, Tamberav said:

So cool! I love the yellow ones hair-do! 

Baby seahorse came with my order.

Look what I found with my ghost shrimp!   I know her chances are slim to none.  She has probably not eaten for 4 days having been accidently captured over the weekend.  I am going to buy some pods tonight and start a bbs hatchery also.  I will try to give her a fighting chance if she has any fight left in her.

• Like 10
  • Wow 2
13 hours ago, vlangel said:

Hey Scott! Its good to hear from ya.  How are you and the family?  Its kind of wierd but I was just wondering a few days ago if you were able to get rid of the dinos in your 50 gallon?  I have cyano in my 56 gallon and its been stubborn.

I guess you'll be hanging up the skate board until spring.  Dave and I's motorcycles are tucked away in the garage until March or April.

As you can see I moved the ponies back into the 30g XH.  I tried slowly to add sand and fish (to their 56g) but it turned out to not be a clean enough enviroment for them and 2 of the 3 came down with skin infections.  They've only just got out of HT.  So much for avoiding MTS! LOL.  They are doing well now however.  Eve is coming on 5 years old!  She is quite the grand old lady and I call her the machiarch of the herd.

Things are great, I have an indoor ramp in our  heated out building so the skating never stops- lol.  We bought a summer home in Mi. on the Great Lake Huron so Lisa’s spent most the summer there with our last remaining bull terrier Tanky- we lost Bella a yr ago.  The 50 has been just a nightmare for me, dino’s move to cyano etc. I’ve decided a larger tank is not in my skill set.  My little 16 Nuvo was almost the perfect size for me and how I like to do maintenance- daily small water changes that can make an impact- the large 10-15 gal. W/c’s just made it no fun.  I am about ready to shut it down and sell it- I decided to go back to a smaller tank- I like the IM 25 lagoon or 20 gal. tanks.  The AIO are also more inline with my style but I may go with the 25gal. Lagoon cause I have my really nice nanobox light and an awesome skimmer I am thinking to keep a sump. Probably purchased over the holiday and start the process.  Still have my original clowns and possum wrasse and a few sps that have made it. Looking forward to starting over.  Amazing as always your tanks, so happy Eve has grown to an older women 😆.  I’ve been lurking around and just wanted to say Hi- I’ll start a new thread when I get the new tank. 

• Like 5
5 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

How wonderful. She landed in the right place.

4 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Oh wow! Poor thing but she is in the best of care now.

Well, I made it as nice for her as I could.  She is in my original baby seahorse nursery with a few fake plants to hitch to.  I t should be easy to give her bbs in a large density and then use a cup and scoop out a cup of water and replace with fresh.

At first I thought she was an erectus baby but her snout is very short.  I am beginning to think she is a dwarf seahorse.

• Like 4
2 hours ago, Sk8n Reefer said:

Things are great, I have an indoor ramp in our  heated out building so the skating never stops- lol.  We bought a summer home in Mi. on the Great Lake Huron so Lisa’s spent most the summer there with our last remaining bull terrier Tanky- we lost Bella a yr ago.  The 50 has been just a nightmare for me, dino’s move to cyano etc. I’ve decided a larger tank is not in my skill set.  My little 16 Nuvo was almost the perfect size for me and how I like to do maintenance- daily small water changes that can make an impact- the large 10-15 gal. W/c’s just made it no fun.  I am about ready to shut it down and sell it- I decided to go back to a smaller tank- I like the IM 25 lagoon or 20 gal. tanks.  The AIO are also more inline with my style but I may go with the 25gal. Lagoon cause I have my really nice nanobox light and an awesome skimmer I am thinking to keep a sump. Probably purchased over the holiday and start the process.  Still have my original clowns and possum wrasse and a few sps that have made it. Looking forward to starting over.  Amazing as always your tanks, so happy Eve has grown to an older women 😆.  I’ve been lurking around and just wanted to say Hi- I’ll start a new thread when I get the new tank. 

Its so good to hear from you.  I am very sorry about Bella and your 50 gallon.  Everyone has their niche and I am glad that you are getting back to reefing with a tank suited more to you.  I will look forward to your new thread.  Thanks for dropping by and saying hello.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

How wonderful. She landed in the right place.

Not many people would drive two hours at night in the first snow storm of the season to get Tigger Pods to feed an orphaned pony.  

Oddly enough, I was in a Pittsburg lfs and who do I see braving the first snow storm of the season:  Dawn Gilson.

• Like 7
21 hours ago, vlangel said:

Baby seahorse came with my order.

Look what I found with my ghost shrimp!   I know her chances are slim to none.  She has probably not eaten for 4 days having been accidently captured over the weekend.  I am going to buy some pods tonight and start a bbs hatchery also.  I will try to give her a fighting chance if she has any fight left in her.

Where did she come from? I never heard of a hitchhiker seahorse before!! I feel like I've missed a lot. Love the new scape, you never cease to amaze me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
8 hours ago, Subsea said:

Not many people would drive two hours at night in the first snow storm of the season to get Tigger Pods to feed an orphaned pony.  

Oddly enough, I was in a Pittsburg lfs and who do I see braving the first snow storm of the season:  Dawn Gilson.

Ha ha, you are making me sound like a hero, Patrick.  I am just an 'ordinary Joe' (well in my case an 'ordinary Dawn').

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, Pjanssen said:

Where did she come from? I never heard of a hitchhiker seahorse before!! I feel like I've missed a lot. Love the new scape, you never cease to amaze me.

I ordered ghost shrimp for my ponies and she was accidently in with them.  I knew my guy went shrimping and guess she was caught with the shrimp.

Thanks for the kind word on the scape.  Its easy to miss stuff on here, it happens to me all the time.

Hey folks, Sorry about such a delay at replies.  Our power has been out since Thursday night (except 3 hrs on Friday afternoon when it came on and then was off again).  We are still out now. 

The power inverter has been a LIFESAVER for the seahorse tank and the fish fortress.  I am running powerheads and the par 38 leds. The sump in the basement is aerated with battery back up pumps.  I am doing WCs in the seahorses tank to keep up water quality.  The fish fortress is a high nutrient tank so it's fine.  (I decided to try and plug in the WiFi to the inverter so I could see what is going on in the world, ha ha) Our house is being heated with a kerosene heater that is 37 yrs old but works great and keeping the living room dining room about 70°F.  Both tanks are also about 70° because I unplugged the heater in the fish fortress.  The heater would put too much draw on the inverter and the fish are fine.

Hey Whoo-hoo, the power just came on! To those of you who can't afford a generator, a power inverter is a great investment.  Mine is a 1000W but if you only have 1 tank you can get a smaller one.  I ran ours off the car battery but you can use a marine boat battery too.

• Like 3
On 11/16/2018 at 5:17 PM, William said:

where do your shrimp come from?

They came from a guy who shrimps off the FL north east coast. My husband found him on ebay a few years ago.  He was 'at your door shrimp'.  

• Like 1

I finally have brine shrimp hatched but I don't see her eating them. 😢 Her chances are going down.  I can lead a seahorse to brine shrimp but I can't make her eat.

• Sad 2

Because she does not appear to be eating the bbs I have moved her to her own vase where her uneatten bbs will not pollute my herd's tank.  There are not many coral to consume them and they don't eat such small food.

The vase she is in is small enough that the bbs are plentiful and if she has a mind to eat she will not need to work at it very hard.  It will be a cinch to perform WCs on too so her water quality is not a problem.  Its all up to her at this point.  I have done all I can.

• Like 2

Glad you got electricity back.  While I take great comfort  in being able to get off the grid and knowing how to live off the land, I take greater comfort  in microwave ovens & iPhones.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1