Top Shelf Aquatics

Teenyreef's IM40 Not-So-Teeny Tank - August FTS

teenyreef

More new stuff! I picked up a skunk cleaner shrimp the other day, and a small school of Bangaii Cardinals today. All are doing great so far.

20170603-untitled-096-Edit.jpg

• Like 17
13 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

More new stuff! I picked up a skunk cleaner shrimp the other day, and a small school of Bangaii Cardinals today. All are doing great so far.

20170603-untitled-096-Edit.jpg

I looove cardinals! :wub:

• Like 2
14 hours ago, Pinner Reef said:

oooo! someone's gonna have inbreeding soon!

Either that of free fish food for the clowns :lol:

14 hours ago, Nixperience said:

Those cardinals must look awesome! Do they stay together?

Yes, they all stay together and they like to swim just enough to stay in one place. They like the open area above the zoas and stay right there most of the time. Surprisingly, the clowns don't seem to mind even though they live in the zoas.

15 hours ago, WV Reefer said:

I looove cardinals! :wub:

14 hours ago, ninjamyst said:

Beautiful!!!

13 hours ago, fishfreak0114 said:

So pretty!  Bangaii cardinals have always seemed so classy and clean looking to me.

Thanks! I've always liked them. They look even better in the tank than I had hoped :)

• Like 3

I took a few more fish pics when I got the Bangaii's. The clowns, Humphrey and Dilbert, love the zoas and palys. I love how the patterns on their bodies blend together in this shot. I think it gives a good idea of how a predator would get confused going after a couple of clowns.

20170603-untitled-118-Edit.jpg

• Like 10
SemperReef
7 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

I took a few more fish pics when I got the Bangaii's. The clowns, Humphrey and Dilbert, love the zoas and palys. I love how the patterns on their bodies blend together in this shot. I think it gives a good idea of how a predator would get confused going after a couple of clowns.

20170603-untitled-118-Edit.jpg

Siamese clowns

• Like 1
Just now, SemperReef said:

Siamese clowns

:lol:

Here's a few more:

I frequently see them digging in the sand and shimmying around on the palys.

20170603-untitled-117-Edit.jpg

Hanging out with Sunset, the Coral Beauty Angel.

Sunset, Humphrey, and Dilbert

Ever since I got proactive about removing the evil hair worms, the zoas have almost completely recovered. It's hard to believe that was the only thing that was causing the problem, but that's the only thing I did to fix it.

Humphrey and Dilbert (Ocellaris Clownfish)

Sunset looking distinguished <_<

Sunset (Coral Beauty Angel)

Jacques, the new skunk cleaner shrimp, is already hard at work. He tends to hang out on the back side of the rocks, so I don't have any good pictures of him yet. But in this shot he's cleaning Sunset.

20170603-untitled-127-Edit.jpg

Seymour, the six line wrasse, is hard to photograph. He's constantly on the move, and he doesn't stay up front for more than about half a second. So I got him coming and going.

Seymour (Six Line Wrasse)

Seymour (Six Line Wrasse)

Finally, here's Feckles, the yellow watchman goby. Someday I'll get a good picture of both the goby and the pistol shrimp!

Freckles (Yellow Watchman Goby)
  • Like 10
On 6/3/2017 at 2:28 PM, fishfreak0114 said:

Beautiful!  If I ever come across a dendro, I'm definitely gonna buy it.

Thanks! I got this one from Aqua SD. The little sun corals in the 10g came from the lfs, but it's harder to find true dendros locally.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Pinner Reef said:

love that Beauty! soo sessy!

One of my favorites :wub:

2 hours ago, Nixperience said:

How's that coral beauty? I've been interested. Does it nip at corals?

One of my favorites because it's pretty, it eats algae, AND it doesn't nip at corals :D

• Like 2
Nixperience
27 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

One of my favorites because it's pretty, it eats algae, AND it doesn't nip at corals :D

Nice! I've been on the fence about it. My LFS discourages me and says all dwarfs nip corals, some less than others. I'll go for one eventually. 

• Like 1
Just now, Nixperience said:

Nice! I've been on the fence about it. My LFS discourages me and says all dwarfs nip corals, some less than others. I'll go for one eventually. 

There are no guarantees, of course, but coral beauties in particular are known to be less troublesome than most of the dwarf angels. I got my advice from @StinkyBunny, but here's a good article that backs it up. See the section "In the Aquarium".

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2011/7/fish

• Like 2
FlowerMama

Wow, I never knew 6-lines had teeth, but with that perfect picture I can see him grinding, like's he's ready to find something!

• Like 2
13 hours ago, kimberbee said:

Love that pic of those cardinals...

You should name them Scary, Sporty, Baby, Ginger, and Posh!

You know, I was racking my brain trying to think of good names for groups of five. Spice Girls is perfect :lol:

2 hours ago, FlowerMama said:

Wow, I never knew 6-lines had teeth, but with that perfect picture I can see him grinding, like's he's ready to find something!

Yeah, I thought that picture does a good job of showing how a little teeny six line can terrorize everything else in the tank :o

• Like 1
12 hours ago, DaveFason said:

Looking great John. Curious how the extra poop may help your corals. 

Yeah, me too. My nitrates fell from 4 to about 2 a few months ago, and I think the paler colors I saw in some of the corals (like the green slimer) were the result. I've gradually brought them back up to 3 or 4, but I think somewhere between 5 and 10 might be better, as long as I don't end up with algae problems.

So I'm hoping the Bangaii Spice Girls get pooping! 

• Like 2
Nixperience
9 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

Yeah, me too. My nitrates fell from 4 to about 2 a few months ago, and I think the paler colors I saw in some of the corals (like the green slimer) were the result. I've gradually brought them back up to 3 or 4, but I think somewhere between 5 and 10 might be better, as long as I don't end up with algae problems.

So I'm hoping the Bangaii Spice Girls get pooping! 

That's why I'm going to add the coral beauty. The macros are really starting to bring nitrates down and I need more poops ? 

• Like 1

I did a water change tonight, and this is what I found when I pulled out the media basket to clean it and change the media. :scarry:

For reference, the media caddy is a little over four inches wide...

20170607-untitled-010.jpg

I put him in the garbage disposal. :wacko:

I'm not ashamed to admit I left the disposal running for a looooonnnnng time. If an 8" bristleworm came crawling up out of the sink drain when my wife was using the sink, we'd have to burn the house down because just moving out wouldn't be enough :lol:

• Like 14