Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Teenyreef's IM40 Not-So-Teeny Tank - August FTS

teenyreef

Did you happen to see Sancho out there also..............or has he been deported yet...........

Love the acans but am giving up on them I think........

• Like 2
teenyreef
45 minutes ago, spectra said:

Did you happen to see Sancho out there also..............or has he been deported yet...........

Love the acans but am giving up on them I think........

Lot's of Sanchos here but I didn't see Sancho. Why no more acans? 

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

Lot's of Sanchos here but I didn't see Sancho. Why no more acans? 

I lost a lot on the ALK swing in the 40 but they just don't seem to do good in the 100 now. Not sure why and well everything else is doing great so...........

• Like 1
teenyreef
2 minutes ago, spectra said:

I lost a lot on the ALK swing in the 40 but they just don't seem to do good in the 100 now. Not sure why and well everything else is doing great so...........

My acans didn't do well in my 40g until I moved them into a corner with lower flow and light. But acans are weird because sometimes they just decide to melt for no reason whatsoever. I've learned to move them into a different tank fast when that starts to happen. 

• Like 1
kimberbee
7 hours ago, teenyreef said:

But acans are weird because sometimes they just decide to melt for no reason whatsoever.

I almost got rid of my last acan for this reason. When I told it to get ready pack it's bags soon, it decided to thrive!! 

• Like 1
teenyreef
6 hours ago, kimberbee said:

I almost got rid of my last acan for this reason. When I told it to get ready pack it's bags soon, it decided to thrive!! 

Haha, threats of deportation worked!

I got back later this morning, dipped the acans, and placed them on the sand bed. They're still closed up in this picture but you can still get an idea of the colors. I wanted to select some with less common colors so I can mix them in with the ones I already have.

New Acans

PS: everything is doing fine after my trip! Seymour the six line wrasse is still swimming around, so I think the third time is the charm for this fish :)

• Like 11
teenyreef
2 hours ago, ninjamyst said:

Those are pretty!  Must have costed you a pretty penny.

Actually, it wasn't bad - three for $30 each and three for $10 each. 

He also had one of their "signature true rainbows" at $100/head. He even offered to go down to $150 for a two head, but he couldn't find any single heads. It was worth every penny but I just couldn't put another $150 on the bill :)

• Like 6
teenyreef
10 minutes ago, frahny said:

Would you do a small six line in your 10 or do you think he needs more room hence the 40?

I personally wouldn't do a six line in a 10g, they can get really aggressive when they don't have enough room. But the pink streaked wrasse I had in the 10g did great.

Just now, ninjamyst said:

Wow those are great prices!

Yeah! It was worth flying all the way to San Diego :)

• Like 2
teenyreef

I took a bunch of pictures now that I've glued up lots of corals...still working on them right now :ninja:

Here's a top down for now. Note: I am down from six frag racks to three! Should be down to two later this week :)

2017-05-07 IM40 Top Down

• Like 11
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/7/2017 at 11:30 PM, spectra said:

Looks good Teeny!

Will be nice to see it rack free........

Glued up a few more - I'm down to one and a half racks. The only pieces I have left on the racks are ones that have suffered some damage and are either on the road to recovery or on the way out.

On 5/8/2017 at 0:22 AM, 4x5 said:

Looking good, beautiful colours as per usual.

Thanks! If I could just figure out where the high iron content in the water was coming from, I'd be super happy. But other than too much green, I really can't complain much :)

• Like 3

Wow, things have been super busy! I took pictures last weekend, and they sat in the same spot as the pictures I took the weekend before :(, but I've finally gotten a little time to edit them and get them posted. :)

The tank is doing well, nitrates are steady at about 2, and phosphates steady at about .02, as long as I change the gfo regularly. I've been mixing the gfo with the carbon in a media bad, and I just change the bag every two weeks. I have a few corals that took a turn for the worse, most of which were up high on the rocks. I think I may have shocked them with too much light when they were first glued up. I pulled them back off and put them in the frag racks, and then glued everything left in the frag rocks onto a rock, wherever I could fit them in.

The corals are too close together for the long-term, but I think I've got at least four to six months before it starts becoming a problem. 

I liked this top-down shot - it's the right-middle quarter of the tank, directly over the rocks:

20170507-untitled-070.jpg

More coral pics coming shortly :D

• Like 16

Monticaps:

20170507-untitled-061.jpg

New acans are starting to puff up:

20170507-untitled-058.jpg

I moved the blue kenya tree to the back corner and put the dendro in its place in the front left corner:

20170507-untitled-057-Edit.jpg

Here's the rock just behind the dendro:

20170515-untitled-046-Edit.jpg

This is the very top of the rock just behind the dendro:

20170507-untitled-050-Edit.jpg

• Like 13

The mummy eye chalice is on the same rock, but on the back left side, about three inches from anything else:

20170515-untitled-044-Edit.jpg

The front part of the rocks in the middle left. Everything has too much green...

20170515-untitled-036-Edit.jpg

Sunset monti:

20170515-untitled-037-Edit.jpg

A little further back on the same rock. That's the Katropora in the middle. It's a beautiful vivid green, but none of the other colors that should be present are there. The polyps are a little bit of a deep blue but it's hard to tell in this picture.

20170515-untitled-032-Edit.jpg

The green slimer has changed from highlighter yellow skin to a bright white:

20170507-untitled-074.jpg

Moving further towards the back of the same rock. The purple stylo is starting to form buds. I love this coral :wub:

20170515-untitled-038-Edit.jpg

Moving more towards the right on the same rock:

20170515-untitled-039-Edit.jpg

...and a little more to the right. This is @natalia_la_loca's bubblegum:

20170515-untitled-041-Edit-2.jpg

And, finally, back towards the front:

20170515-untitled-042-Edit.jpg

• Like 12
5 minutes ago, ninjamyst said:

that green monticap with red polyps is so nice!!  i wish mine with blue polyps would color up like that.

That's a Season's Greetings monti - I've always wanted one and I'm really happy with how it's doing in this tank. The high iron content doesn't seem to bother it at all. 

• Like 1
10 hours ago, SemperReef said:

Dig those acans, pretty dope. Nice tank

Thanks, I'm really looking forward to seeing the acans grow out. 

1 hour ago, debbeach13 said:

Absolutely beautiful!

Thank you!