ReefCleaners.org

Teenyreef's IM40 Not-So-Teeny Tank - August FTS

teenyreef

7 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

@drgibby's corals are here and they are in the tank on yet another frag rack. The WWC yellow tips frag was losing flesh when I got it out of the box, but the rest look like they survived the trip OK. Pics tomorrow!

Sadly, I found the yellow coris wrasse plastered to the MP-10 screen tonight. He was still alive, so I put him in a little breeder box just to see if he pulls through. But it's never a good sign when a fish can't get off his side :(

I'm going to put some sand in the box so he can feel less stressed. I don't have a lot of optimism but after losing the six line it's a little discouraging.

20170406_215320.jpg

Ooh no!

• Like 1

So I just went to put sand in the box and he was upright and swimming around, although he still tended to lay down on his side a bit. Of course, that may be normal behavior because that's how he buries himself, who knows...

I don't know why the wrasses are having such a hard time. Bad luck maybe, maybe the clowns are murderous, although there are plenty of hiding places in this tank, maybe I didn't introduce them right. The one thing I would change if I could is that I should have put him in the tank when it was dark, and I should have put him in one the opposite end from the clowns since they never go to the other end of the tank.

• Like 1

Are you gonna keep him in the breeder box for now?  He may be upright but it's probably best to keep him isolated, maybe with a cup of sand.  I hope he pulls through! 

• Like 2

dang teeny, sorry to hear about all this:( hopefully he pulls through! i did something similar with my anemone shrimp, he was just being a dick to my RBTA so he got his own box... hopefully he pulls through! Best of luck :flower:

• Like 1

O no teeny, thats terrible.  I hope he pulls through.  I do miss having fish sometimes but I definitely don't miss how cruel they can be to one another.

Thanks everyone! Bartley is still alive in the breeder box, but he hasn't improved. I feel like I'm just going through a death watch. But only time will tell... 

The new corals from @drgibby are doing well, I should be able to get some pictures Sunday. 

In the meantime I've been doing 10% water changes every two or three days as well as running the Poly-filter to get rid of the iron and chromium. I also dosed some Brightwell potassium. Hopefully these actions will help both with growth and colors. 

• Like 3
5 hours ago, spectra said:

Dang sorry to hear about the Coris wrasse one of my favorites in the wrasse world.......

Thanks, Spectra. This morning I thought he was dead, but he was just doing the wrasse thing where they just look mostly dead. He swam around a little bit today, and tonight he ate some food, which is a huge good sign. He's still stuck in a permanent curve, pretty much like he was bent around the MP10 shield, though. But I'll take any improvements I can get!

• Like 3

I took some pictures of the new corals from @drgibby today. As I mentioned before, some of them suffered a bit in shipping but other than the WWC Yellow Tips, the rest look like they should be OK. I give the Yellow Tips a 50/50 chance. Some have browned up a bit, especially the Katropora, but as long as there's no bleaching or STN I'm sure they'll color up soon. So, here they are:

JF Red Hot Setosa:

JF Red Hot SetosaJF Red Hot Setosa

Katropora! Brown Katropora :(

katroporaKatropora

Aussie Candlelight is in pretty good shape, just needs a little more color (yellow, not so much green). You can see a little more yellowish green in the second shot.

Aussie CandlelightAussie Candlelight

Garf Bonsai is a little brown but there's still some purple:

Garf BonsaiGarf Bonsai

WWC Yellow Tip - most of the skin is gone on one side. I left the side with more skin pointing towards the light and so far it hasn't died.

WWC Yellow TipsWWC Yellow Tips

This one is a sentimental favorite, a frag of the original green stylo from my 4g tank. This was the very first sps I ever had in a tank, and since I lost it in the 4g crash, I'm really excited to get a frag of it back. @drgibby said it never really did well in his tank, so hopefully it will bounce back now that it's home :lol:

Teenyreef's OG StyloTeenyreef's OG Stylo

• Like 5

sorry about the wrasse:( Hopefully it continues to improve. The sticks look pretty good especially for shipping hopefully they all pull through for you!

• Like 1

That Yellow tips doesn't look good Teeny... I wish you were closer id send or drive you over the mother colony.... Make sure that Katropora is high up and gets tons of light.  it just wants all it can get ;)

• Like 1

Sorry about your wrasse troubles. :(

I hate death watch. You already know I went through it a few days ago.  I hope he improves! Such a lovely fish!

• Like 1

Bartley is still hanging in tonight. He ate again, and seemed to have a little more energy, pretty much eating most of the frozen food I put in the breeder box. He still spends most of his time on his side or partly upside down, and he still stays in a curved position. But I've seen him swim around a bit, and he goes into the PVC fitting every once in a while to hide.

20170410_204618.jpg

• Like 4
13 hours ago, drgibby said:

That Yellow tips doesn't look good Teeny... I wish you were closer id send or drive you over the mother colony.... Make sure that Katropora is high up and gets tons of light.  it just wants all it can get ;)

Yeah, I give the yellow tips at most a 50% chance, and that's only because I'm surprised that it's lasted this long.

I had the same thought about the Katropora needing lots of light, but I'm a little worried about the  lighter tissue on the base on one side. I'm not sure if it's just some stressed spots, or if it's bleaching because it's not used to my lights. If it's worse tomorrow I'm going to move it way down in the tank. It can always recover from brown, bleaching's a lot harder to handle.

Very encouraging news!  Sounds likes he's recovering. I wonder if that strange position is just his way of conserving energy.  Based on your description he doesn't seem to lack the ability to swim or to eat (i.e. no serious internal injury).

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, J-Ranko said:

Very encouraging news!  Sounds likes he's recovering. I wonder if that strange position is just his way of conserving energy.  Based on your description he doesn't seem to lack the ability to swim or to eat (i.e. no serious internal injury).

I've wondered that too. I mean, I don't know what he looks like normally when he's hiding/sleeping in the sand. Maybe he curls up and is halfway upside down normally. But he does tend to stay curled when he's swimming, although tonight it seemed like he straightened out a little more than before while he was swimming.

• Like 2

What is your current equipment list?

Would you make any changes if you could?

I might be picking up one of these soon, trying to see what everyone else likes/doesnt like about it and the equipment options!

Thanks!

• Like 1