Coral Vue Hydros

Teenyreef's IM40 Not-So-Teeny Tank - August FTS

teenyreef

1 hour ago, TinyOcean said:

Wow! Those zoas are super awesome! What a collection.

Thanks, I really struggled with them for a while until I discovered that the hair worms that live in the sand and in the zoa rocks really irritate the zoas. Now I manually remove the worms any time I see them, and the zoas have been growing like crazy.

1 hour ago, Rory282 said:

Hi Teeny tank is looking fantastic man. Could you tell me something about the fan noise that wide quad makes? Thx!

The fan speed is adjustable, and I have it set to 80%. I can hear it at that level but it's not noisy at all. At about 75% or less it's pretty much completely silent.

On 100%, the noise is noticeable but not bad. But of course that's very subjective. This tank is in the family room, so usually the TV is on, or people are talking, or dogs are barking, so it's not the best environment for judging how noticeable a small fan is. :)

• Like 1
8 hours ago, spectra said:

Looks good Teeny but we need more love for the dendro :lol: 

That's funny, I took five or six picutres of it last night because the clowns were swimming around in it. Every single one turned out blurry :angry:

And it doesn't show up in the side angle shot because it's behind the side of the bookshelf. I'll get a better picture next time the camera is out. 

20170728-untitled-020.jpg

• Like 5

I did water changes in all three tanks today, and did some deep cleaning in the 30g frag tank. So I'm a little behind editing the pictures I took last night. But I took a few more tonight while I was changing the water. 

The Mr. Pacman acro is turning green like the last one did. I think it may need a little more light. 

Mr. Pacman Acro

On the other hand, the red dragon acro, which was getting bleached tips, is much happier after I reduced the lighting a couple weeks ago. 

Red Dragon acro

The blue stylo is just a big dong still, but it is getting aspirations to branch out a bit. :lol:

20170728-untitled-050-Edit.jpg

• Like 10

I'm back from vacation, the tank sitter did a great job, and the tank looks fine after I scraped the algae. 

The duncans are closed up tight, I think it happened while I was scraping the algae, though. We'll see how they're doing in the morning. Here's a quick fts:

2017-08-13 IM40 FTS

• Like 12
  • Wow 2
2 minutes ago, spectra said:

Love the wrasse....................I have one also along with a few others :lol: I am kind of a wrasse man :rolleyes:

Lol, yeah, they are great fish. Seymour the Six Line is also in there, next to the plate coral. I'm really glad all the fish get along great. 

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

Welcome back! How was vacation?

The reef is looking good, I think your fish are all happy to see you!

Vacation was great, I spent the week in Hilton Head with my parents and family. Lots of time at the beach and pool drinking girly drinks :D

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

The duncans haven't opened yet. I see a couple heads start to open a bit, and then they close back up. This is very mysterious because they have thrived from the first day they went in this tank and they've never closed even once. 

I dusted some reef roids on the heads with the pumps off, and the ones that were a little bit open reacted, so I think that's a good sign. Hopefully they'll be better this even when I get home from work. 

All the other corals are doing great, though, so I don't think there's anything else wrong in the tank. Alk, nitrates, and phosphates are all in line. 

• Like 2
6 hours ago, teenyreef said:

The duncans haven't opened yet. I see a couple heads start to open a bit, and then they close back up. This is very mysterious because they have thrived from the first day they went in this tank and they've never closed even once. 

I dusted some reef roids on the heads with the pumps off, and the ones that were a little bit open reacted, so I think that's a good sign. Hopefully they'll be better this even when I get home from work. 

All the other corals are doing great, though, so I don't think there's anything else wrong in the tank. Alk, nitrates, and phosphates are all in line. 

My hedgehog gets huffy when I go away for a few days and sulks when I come back.  Maybe they're emulating a hedgehog? :lol:

• Like 2
On 8/13/2017 at 1:14 AM, teenyreef said:

I'm back from vacation, the tank sitter did a great job, and the tank looks fine after I scraped the algae. 

The duncans are closed up tight, I think it happened while I was scraping the algae, though. We'll see how they're doing in the morning. Here's a quick fts:

2017-08-13 IM40 FTS

Wow teeny, this tank has really blossomed  since I last saw it.  Such pretty colors!

• Like 2
4 hours ago, vlangel said:

Wow teeny, this tank has really blossomed  since I last saw it.  Such pretty colors!

Thanks, Dawn! I'm still dealing with high levels of iron which makes some corals too green. But at least there are colors :D

5 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

My hedgehog gets huffy when I go away for a few days and sulks when I come back.  Maybe they're emulating a hedgehog? :lol:

:lol: Could be! They were doing better today, although they're still not completely back to normal. Here's a picture from today:

20170814-untitled-012.jpg

Here's when I got back from vacation:

20170812-untitled-058.jpg

I fed them heavily with mysis tonight, so hopefully that will help them get back to normal.

• Like 9
3 hours ago, teenyreef said:

Thanks, Dawn! I'm still dealing with high levels of iron which makes some corals too green. But at least there are colors :D

:lol: Could be! They were doing better today, although they're still not completely back to normal. Here's a picture from today:

20170814-untitled-012.jpg

Here's when I got back from vacation:

20170812-untitled-058.jpg

I fed them heavily with mysis tonight, so hopefully that will help them get back to normal.

Yes, Violet does seem to forgive more quickly when offerings of mealworms are made! :lol:

• Like 1

The corals are doing pretty well! Here are some updates:

JF Brain Freeze Montipora, WWC Aussie Candlelights, Sunset Montipora:

JF Brain Freeze Montipora, WWC Aussie Candlelights, Sunset Montipora

JF Brain Freeze Montipora

Rainbow Knockout Favia:

Rainbow Knockout Favia

JF Red Hot Setosa, Bubblegum Montipora, Strawberry Shortcake, WWC Carolinia, RG Crosette Inferno Mushrooms:

JF Red Hot Setosa, Bubblegum Montipora, Strawberry Shortcake, WWC Carolinia, RG Crosette Inferno Mushrooms

The bubblegum monti I got from @natalia_la_loca is growing fast, and the color morphs are really interesting.

Katropora is still green but the polyps are slowwwwwly turning blue:

Katropora

The problem I had with the green slimer turning pale is almost all gone:

Green Slimer

Elkhorn Stag:

Elkhorn Stag

These are the blasto merletti's below the stag. I placed them so they are visible below the arch of the rocks from the front. Note the blurry clown spinning around to the right!

Blasto Merlettis

And the red dragon above the stag, rapidly becoming one of my favorites as it colors up:

Red Dragon

The bird of paradise is now growing like crazy and coloring up:

Bird of Paradise

Here's the color it had at the beginning of summer:

Bird of Paradise

And here's the frag it started from last September:

Bird of Paradise

Not bad for just under a year!

12 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

Yes, Violet does seem to forgive more quickly when offerings of mealworms are made! :lol:

I love Violet, you need to post more pictures of her :)

My wife says she wants to get a hedgehog some day!

• Like 11
2 hours ago, teenyreef said:

Rainbow Knockout Favia:

Rainbow Knockout Favia

JF Red Hot Setosa, Bubblegum Montipora, Strawberry Shortcake, WWC Carolinia, RG Crosette Inferno Mushrooms:

JF Red Hot Setosa, Bubblegum Montipora, Strawberry Shortcake, WWC Carolinia, RG Crosette Inferno Mushrooms

The bubblegum monti I got from @natalia_la_loca is growing fast, and the color morphs are really interesting.

Katropora

Green Slimer

Elkhorn Stag:

Elkhorn Stag

These are the blasto merletti's below the stag. I placed them so they are visible below the arch of the rocks from the front. Note the blurry clown spinning around to the right!

Blasto Merlettis

And the red dragon above the stag, rapidly becoming one of my favorites as it colors up:

Red Dragon

Bird of Paradise

Bird of Paradise

Bird of Paradise

Haha thanks! Violet has been very grumpy lately, I think she's still mad about the move. She also needs a bath which I'm sure she will love lol. :rolleyes: Hedgies are awesome, but beware the poop boots! ?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
On 8/13/2017 at 1:14 AM, teenyreef said:

2017-08-13 IM40 FTS

Beautiful. 

I really love the way you have the rockwork in here, I think it's perfect for this tank. 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, teenyreef said:

Rainbow Knockout Favia:

Rainbow Knockout Favia

Katropora

Green Slimer

Elkhorn Stag:

Elkhorn Stag

Blasto Merlettis

Red Dragon

Bird of Paradise

Bird of Paradise

Bird of Paradise

Really love the individual close-ups and everything is looking great. 

I think the Rainbow Knockout Favia is my favorite of all you posted, though I like the Blasto and Bubblegum Monti from natalia as well. 

Looking great! Can you do a quick recap on what maintenance or methods of control are for nutrients? Are you keeping N & P levels pretty reasonable? It would appear so based on your corals.

I find I'm having some issue with nutrient export in my IM40, so looking for some ideas from others with the same tank.

14 hours ago, TinyOcean said:

Such colorful corals. Man I wish I lived somewhere near some good lfs lol.

Thanks! We do have a couple lfs's with high quality corals, but they come from local semi-pro reefers, supplemented by imports. But the selection is no where near as good or as cheap as it is in the good Florida or California stores. I've actually bought the majority of my corals from online vendors like AquaSD. It's well worth paying the shipping cost when you know for sure that the corals will look exactly like what you see in the pictures. I usually have a better idea of what I'm buying from an online vendor, because the picture is taken under good lighting with the water off, and the name and price of the coral is clearly shown. At the lfs I end up looking at a bunch of sticks that mostly look alike and have to ask someone what kinds they are.