ReefCleaners.org

Teenyreef's IM40 Not-So-Teeny Tank - August FTS

teenyreef

I love the open sand bed. So much space for pretty colors!

Yeah, I can't help wondering how long it will be before it gets the chaotic junk yard look of my other tanks :lol:

i love this tank =)

Thanks, Ninja! I hope things are going well in your tanks, I need to get caught up!

Looking great so far!!! I see tons of open space to fill in! :)

I swear I'm really going to try for the open sand bed look. But then I start thinking about a BTA and maybe a plate coral or two, and a bigger zoa island, and, well, that's probably going to cover everything up :)

• Like 2

Love the scape! It sort of looks like what I did with my 10g.

That sponge is beautiful, I had one but it turned all white in the move. It seems still alive, going to try and bring it back from the dead.

• Like 1

Yeah, I can't help wondering how long it will be before it gets the chaotic junk yard look of my other tanks :lol:

Thanks, Ninja! I hope things are going well in your tanks, I need to get caught up!

I swear I'm really going to try for the open sand bed look. But then I start thinking about a BTA and maybe a plate coral or two, and a bigger zoa island, and, well, that's probably going to cover everything up :)

I honestly love the chaotic look that you always pull off. Everything looks like it belongs together though. I'm determined someday to recreate that look myself! Haha. It'll look crazy amazing in the 40 though!

• Like 1

Love the scape! It sort of looks like what I did with my 10g.

That sponge is beautiful, I had one but it turned all white in the move. It seems still alive, going to try and bring it back from the dead.

Let me know if you can't get it to come back, it's really easy to frag and grow out if you need another one!

I honestly love the chaotic look that you always pull off. Everything looks like it belongs together though. I'm determined someday to recreate that look myself! Haha. It'll look crazy amazing in the 40 though!

Thanks!

So much wonderful space for many awesome things!

I know, right? It's funny seeing frags that would have looked decent sized in my little 4g tank get lost as little dots of color in this tank :D

Oooh, a plate would be nice! So would a BTA as well as a bigger zoa island. It looks like you are already going to need a bigger tank! Ha

• Like 1

Just one more picture for the night - since I glued up new frags, I refilled the little frag rack on the side. I started a small zoa island on the right side of the tank, and I'm going to expand it with some of these guys.

I'll got more pics of the island in a day or two after they all open up, but here are the new frag rack residents:

28096560390_e60db72cd0_b.jpg20160717-untitled-026-Edit.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Oooh, a plate would be nice! So would a BTA as well as a bigger zoa island. It looks like you are already going to need a bigger tank! Ha

Yeah, I think all those are on the wish list :)

• Like 4

Hey Teeny!! What's with all these reef pics? We need more doggy stuff.

:lol: I'll see what I can do!

I vote for a few nice Scoly/mini scoly

Oooooo, yeah, that too! B)

• Like 1

Can't wait till I see the tank filled up all the way! What are your plans for livestock? Also do you plan on adding any crabs? Thinking about adding an emerald or red mithrax to mine but I've heard mixed reviews.

I'm still dreaming and researching about my fish list. Well, mostly dreaming and not researching, to be honest, at least right now. But there are a few fish I've been thinking about that need a little more research:

- Coral Beauty Angel. Gena-endorsed, and I've never gone wrong with a Gena-recommended fish :)

- Blue Spotted (Toby) Puffer. I'd like to get a small one for my 10g tank so it can eat all the vermetid worms, and then move it to this tank when it gets bigger.

- I will probably move the clowns from the 10g tank into this tank. They're getting bigger and bigger and there's nothing for them to host in the 10g tank. If I can get a nice BTA going in this tank I think they'd be very happy.

- Of course, I already have the YWG/Pistol Shrimp pair that hasn't paired up yet.

- Anything else is anybody's guess :)

As far as emerald/red mithrax crabs go, I had both in my 10g tank. The red mithrax was very nice but died for no apparent reason. But before he did, he and the emerald did a great job of eliminating every last bit of macroalgae in the tank. Unfortunately, the emerald crab got really big, and was very aggressive with reaching right down the throats of my poor acans so he could pull the food out of their stomachs before they could digest it. So he went to live at the LFS :)

Now I just have one tiny blue leg hermit, and he makes sure I don't have too much algae and doesn't seem to bother anybody else.

• Like 2

I forgot to mention, the other fish on my potential stocking list are cardinals, and maybe jawfish. I'd probably have to add some more sand for jawfish, though. Or maybe some kind of wrasse, although probably not a six line since they have such a reputation for being d---heads.

My thoughts have been to add the coral beauty first, while I don't have many corals, in hopes that he will be used to eating food that's not corals by the time I have a lot of corals. And add the clowns last, after the BTA is established and after the other fish are doing well.

• Like 2

Looking good! Finally some tank pics ;)

Did you upgrade the factory pump or just leave it ? I picked up a 30L for the misses and not sure if I want to mess with it or not. I will be running a MP 10 in there also.

• Like 1

Looking good! Finally some tank pics ;)

Did you upgrade the factory pump or just leave it ? I picked up a 30L for the misses and not sure if I want to mess with it or not. I will be running a MP 10 in there also.

In this tank the factory pump is plenty strong, surprisingly enough, and it's not too noisy. The MP10 should give you plenty of flow. The MP40 is almost too much, especially in a mostly empty tank.

• Like 1

In this tank the factory pump is plenty strong, surprisingly enough, and it's not too noisy. The MP10 should give you plenty of flow. The MP40 is almost too much, especially in a mostly empty tank.

Thanks for the info! I am just one to always mod things :lol: went Sicce 1.5 in my 20 and then a Tunze in the 10...... yeah Ifigured the MP10 would be plenty as it works great in my 40 breeder now.

• Like 1

Yeah, that's why I was getting worried, I'd hadn't seen any sign of him including sand piles.

Last night, as soon as the water level got really low, I heard him snapping away. It sounded like he was under the deepest and biggest pile of rocks, but he was definitely there. As soon as I started putting water back in, he stopped. Go figure...

That's great point, and good to know about the lights. I knew about PAE growing under natural sunlight, they are only a few hours from my place!

Ultimately I think I'll have a Nanobox T5/LED hybrid when I have a bigger tank.

It took about a eek for my hifin to find my pistol when I introduced them to the tank. Mine would start snapping too. Turns out it might have been warning off a rather large bristle worm. :scarry: I trapped the worm and things have quieted down. I target feed a little at the entrance of the hobbit, I mean shrimp, hole.

That is the combo I am thinking for my tank as well... once I save up my pennies. Maybe as a retirement present to me perhaps?

• Like 2

I loved my jaw fish for the moment I had them but now I reconsidered as I don't want them messing up my landscape and then worrying that a rock will fall on them.

• Like 1