SaltCritters.com

Teenyreef's IM40 Not-So-Teeny Tank - August FTS

teenyreef

I'm finally back from vacation - I was sick on the 16 hour car ride back, so I got a late start today :mellow: But I feel much better now!

Not much has changed in the tank, which is not surprising since all that's in there right now are rocks! But the test frags I put in before I left have all survived just fine, so I'm about ready to put in a few corals soon. I just need to get the rocks mortared together first.

I still have a big problem with the sand gradually piling up from the MP40 blowing around. For now, I'm just going to decrease the flow level. I think once I get some corals in there to break up the flow it will be much better.

I left the skimmer off while I was gone, and no filtration other than some floss. I threw in a few pellets before I left just to give the snails and crabs something to live on, with the idea being to get the nutirent levels up just a little bit so the biofilter capacity would increase. Tonight, nitrates went up from 1 to 5, but phosphates went down from .02 to .001. I expect the phosphates will go back up in another week as they follow the nitrates. For now, I've got the skimmer on again just to keep things clean, but still no carbon.

• Like 5

Australian Shepherd? Awesome dogs. I've had several. As smart as the Sheltie but less noisy.

He's a mix - Australian Shepherd and Border Collie. We're having lots of fun with him :)

In other news, I did a water change and threw in a few frags to see how they do, including my "big" duncan frag from the frag tank. It seemed like it took up about half of the 4g frag tank, but now it looks pretty teeny in this tank :lol:

Pics tomorrow night after things open up.

• Like 2
mystersyster

Since I don't have much to post tonight...in other news, my daughter adopted a puppy today. Meet Presley :wub:

27894247776_7f28cb38e2_b.jpgPresley by TeenyReef, on Flickr

:wub::wub::wub:

Growing up on a ranch, there was a horse trainer that had a border collie that looked just like him. B-e-a-utiful.

• Like 1

Hey teeny, I am glad you are back from vacation but sorry that you were sick upon your return. Hopefully you are full strength now. That puppy is adorable!

Its sounds like the new tank is coming along nicely?

• Like 1

Hey teeny, I am glad you are back from vacation but sorry that you were sick upon your return. Hopefully you are full strength now. That puppy is adorable!

Its sounds like the new tank is coming along nicely?

Thanks, Dawn! Things are going pretty well, but I've been busy with work and haven't had a chance to get the rocks mortared up and start gluing in frags. Hopefully this weekend, though.

I have noticed there seems to be a lot of detritus in the water, even though I have a filter pad and I'm running the skimmer. It's hard to tell if it's all detritus, or if there are some microbubbles from the skimmer. I'm going to try leaving the skimmer off overnight and see what happens.

Puppyyyyyyy

That puppy is really stinking cute. :rolleyes:

Here's Presley napping. His tongue sticks out and his little feet wiggle around like crazy when he dreams :lol:

27907580972_47fdcf35da_b.jpgPresley by TeenyReef, on Flickr

• Like 8

I really need to get a few new pictures of the tank but since I haven't been doing much with it yet, there's not a whole lot to document. But I did put the duncan frag in, which freed up a lot of space in the frag tank.

Cell phone pic, white balance is a little off:

27933401251_94ea53c177_b.jpgDuncans by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Close up with the real camera, colors are more accurate in this shot:

28010665875_b114850b2a_b.jpgDuncans by TeenyReef, on Flickr

• Like 10

OMG, that puppy is sooooo adorable! I bet he's a ton of fun and entertainment for you guys :)

Glad you had a good vacation and that the tank is coming along well. Looks like that test duncan is doing well in there! That's a pretty little duncan colony :)

• Like 2

OMG, that puppy is sooooo adorable! I bet he's a ton of fun and entertainment for you guys :)

Glad you had a good vacation and that the tank is coming along well. Looks like that test duncan is doing well in there! That's a pretty little duncan colony :)

Thanks, Felicia! We are having so much fun with the puppy. I'm going to miss both him and my daughter when they go back to school in another month or so.

The duncans grew really fast in the frag tank in spite of me not feeding them very often. I didn't realize just how much flow the MP-40 was making in this tank until I put the duncans in and they almost got their heads blown off. I turned it down a bit and now the sand is staying in place, too :)

• Like 4

Puppies are so much fun but they're also a hand full. You may be ready for a break by the time your daughter heads back to school! :lol: Although with that cute face, I'd pretty much be fine with that puppy doing whatever he wants :lol:

Yeah my duncan colony grows pretty quickly too and I don't target feed mine at all. I bet that MP40 is a beast! Glad you got it all dialed in!

• Like 1

Presley looks like a stuffed animal :wub:.

Think you got into that cyano they've been having trouble with in Florida waters? I've been reading a lot about it..it's really really bad. And symptoms are flu-like symptoms!

• Like 1
aviator300

I really need to get a few new pictures of the tank but since I haven't been doing much with it yet, there's not a whole lot to document. But I did put the duncan frag in, which freed up a lot of space in the frag tank.

Cell phone pic, white balance is a little off:

27933401251_94ea53c177_b.jpgDuncans by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Close up with the real camera, colors are more accurate in this shot:

28010665875_b114850b2a_b.jpgDuncans by TeenyReef, on Flickr

To the left of the Duncan, right to the left of the little snail or hermit there appears to be a small blossom of some kind.. Have you noticed this Teeny

• Like 2

To the left of the Duncan, right to the left of the little snail or hermit there appears to be a small blossom of some kind.. Have you noticed this Teeny

Investigate!!! :)

• Like 1