Pod Your Reef

Teenyreef's IM40 Not-So-Teeny Tank - August FTS

teenyreef

As much as I like Nemo, Carl, and Spot, I think Freckles is the clear winner :)

Here's a better picture of Freckles.

27548623113_3216ffdd9d_b.jpgYWG by TeenyReef, on Flickr

This is the rock he's been hanging around all day. Every once in a while he disappears into the tunnel going to the back of the tank. I haven't seen any sign of the shrimp since he went in yesterday, though. I'm not too worried yet since I've heard other people report that they don't see their shrimp for weeks after putting them in.

OK, so maybe I'm a little worried, I can't lie... :scarry:

27548628183_0b9f1fee02_b.jpg20160707-untitled-039-Edit.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

On the bright side, the dry rocks are a lot less white now, with some diatoms and algae growing. And maybe some coralline, but it's probably just red algae.

• Like 13

I had to make another trip to the LFS today because I conveniently forgot to get frozen food when I was there yesterday. So of course I had to go to a different LFS so I could check out what they had too :)

I decided to get rid of the big ugly hermits that I had and replace them with a smaller number of little blue legs. The LFS had some really little ones at six for $10 so I snapped them up.

Here's one of the old, now retired hermits:

27548625663_4093fb6ddb_b.jpg20160707-untitled-009-Edit.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

And the new, smaller, cuter, blue leg:

27548630353_47a52826dc_b.jpgBlue Leg Hermit by TeenyReef, on Flickr

• Like 15

I really love that new YWG! They are so cute and grumpy! Don't stress too much about the pistol shrimp. If they haven't paired with the goby, you won't really see them since they hide all the time. Once he discovers the goby, he should start coming out and being more confident. I bet he's just lurking.

Good choice to replace those hermits. I've had some of those other species before and they can get so big and ugly and mean. I love all hermit crabs, but not for a reef. I now stick to just blue legs and scarlet reef hermits.

• Like 1

Man! Nemo looks real happy in his new cave!

@Harrypotter, if we keep calling him Nemo I'm sure it will stick.

It would be more on trend if you called it Dory :P;)

• Like 2

Mu scarlet red hermit murdered all my trochus and astrea snails for fun. Not cool. I may have to get blue legs soon.

That's wild. I've always seen the blues more aggressive than the Scarlett's. The reef life is madness

• Like 2

Mu scarlet red hermit murdered all my trochus and astrea snails for fun. Not cool. I may have to get blue legs soon.

My blue legs did the same... needless to say they were evicted and i had to get new snails :furious:

• Like 2

Wow. My blue leg died, so I got a scarlet to replace it. This one is so timid, I think it's scared of snails. ? I definitely think the blue legs are a hungrier type and roam more. I will probably add one or two back in.

Regarding shells, they really seem to prefer cerith shells to any other shape. If you get a few empties in there, they might stop going after the trochus.

• Like 5

The blue-green algae over here on the SE coast is AWFUL!!! Fish and wildlife are dying. Just found a young manatee that died because of it. Beaches are closed. Business that rely on the water are struggling. It's sickening, and no viable solutions being discussed. Another case of mans interference destroying the earth.

Crazy that it's cyanobacteria. I was reading some of that last weekend. We all have trouble fighting it in our tanks - imagine it covering the entire shoreline!

Wow. My blue leg died, so I got a scarlet to replace it. This one is so timid, I think it's scared of snails. I definitely think the blue legs are a hungrier type and roam more. I will probably add one or two back in.

Regarding shells, they really seem to prefer cerith shells to any other shape. If you get a few empties in there, they might stop going after the trochus.

Agree with the cerith shells.

Yeah, my scarlet hermits have never done anything destructive. I somehow ended up with two hitchhiker blue leg hermits in my 66 - considering I dip everything, I have NO idea where they came from. And those two little hermits have eaten more snails in the past 4 months than anything else has.

As much as I like Nemo, Carl, and Spot, I think Freckles is the clear winner :)

This is the rock he's been hanging around all day. Every once in a while he disappears into the tunnel going to the back of the tank. I haven't seen any sign of the shrimp since he went in yesterday, though. I'm not too worried yet since I've heard other people report that they don't see their shrimp for weeks after putting them in.

OK, so maybe I'm a little worried, I can't lie... :scarry:

27548628183_0b9f1fee02_b.jpg20160707-untitled-039-Edit.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

On the bright side, the dry rocks are a lot less white now, with some diatoms and algae growing. And maybe some coralline, but it's probably just red algae.

Freckles is cute in such a grumpy way!

• Like 2
Justind823

Nice! Good choice on the goby and shrimp pair. I love mine. What kind of pistol did you end up with? We ended up naming my pair Tikka and Misala (we were eating Indian take out at the time...)

• Like 2

Nice! Good choice on the goby and shrimp pair. I love mine. What kind of pistol did you end up with? We ended up naming my pair Tikka and Misala (we were eating Indian take out at the time...)

That's awesome XD

• Like 1
RIP Sebastian

Crazy that it's cyanobacteria. I was reading some of that last weekend. We all have trouble fighting it in our tanks - imagine it covering the entire shoreline!

Agree with the cerith shells.

Yeah, my scarlet hermits have never done anything destructive. I somehow ended up with two hitchhiker blue leg hermits in my 66 - considering I dip everything, I have NO idea where they came from. And those two little hermits have eaten more snails in the past 4 months than anything else has.

Freckles is cute in such a grumpy way!

Isn't the cyano nuts? It's almost like those darn zebra mussels. My grandparents live in Cape Canavarel and apparently it's spreading.....

• Like 2

I totally think the animators for Spongebob Squarepants modeled their random fish after this fish. That face LOL. Cute name too :).
  • Like 4