1. 1. Which do you prefer?

• Leathers only
    • Softies including leathers
    • Gorgonians
    • LPS

• Replies 887
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey everyone, amazing tanks. You are all such an inspiration, I cannot wait until my tank matures as some of these. Anyways, this is my first softie, I loved the colors and shape.

IMG_3836_zpsaxionqam.jpg

Not sure what it is, it came on a rock with a Kenya and green mushroom. The body is a nice bright yellow and the polyps range from a pink/purple to tan.

jedimasterben

Not sure what it is, it came on a rock with a Kenya and green mushroom. The body is a nice bright yellow and the polyps range from a pink/purple to tan.

Looks like it could be a Stereonephthea. They are at least partially photosynthetic, but I would make sure to keep powdered foods or artemia nauplii in the tank pretty often.

Thanks, that is Definitely what it is. After looking at some pictures, it seems to be what Live Aquaria calls "Lemon Tree Coral", I have reef chili but didn't plan on using it yet as I don't have much to feed, could I use that? Btw, beautiful tank Lawn.

Have had it for about3 months I think and no issues so far. It moves around and hosts different corals but no issues so far.

Carnation Corals- Are they really that hard to keep? They are all so beautiful, but everything I read tells me "Expert Aquarist Only!" What makes them so difficult? Is a colt coral a reasonable substitute?

Carnation Corals- Are they really that hard to keep? They are all so beautiful, but everything I read tells me "Expert Aquarist Only!" What makes them so difficult? Is a colt coral a reasonable substitute?

Yes, they are very difficult. They need constant food in the water column. For an easier alternative, look for a photosynthetic stereonepthia (stereonepthya). They will require additional filter feedings, but are easier to keep.

Considering this. Really looking for something besides green or pinkish. Also thinking about yellow fiji leather. Open for suggestions.

26982819982_bf07a387f0.jpgp-47001-lemon-tree by Penny, on Flickr

I ordered that same thing from Live Aquaria. I will say, I was definitely disappointed in the size of the "frag". it was a half inch fully extended. I've had it for about 4 or 5 months and it is about an inch tall now. Personally, I'd go for a fiji yellow leather. OR scour the LFS for some steronepthia. They may have some!

And I'm a fan of Live Aquaria in general, but I was disappointed in that particular order.

Thanks for the input Stella. Just doing some research right now. Really want a carnation :wub: , But I guess that's a no-no :( . I love the fiji yellows when I see pictures of them, but at the LFS the colors are always disappointing (more tan than yellow). Also been warned that a lot of the really yellow ones are actually dyed and will rapidly lose their color. Makes me hesitant until I can be more confident in what I'm getting.

Thanks for the input Stella. Just doing some research right now. Really want a carnation :wub: , But I guess that's a no-no :( . I love the fiji yellows when I see pictures of them, but at the LFS the colors are always disappointing (more tan than yellow). Also been warned that a lot of the really yellow ones are actually dyed and will rapidly lose their color. Makes me hesitant until I can be more confident in what I'm getting.

I hadn't heard about them being dyed! I got one from Glenn at Coral Gardens Aquaculture and it is very yellow. I do have it in high light though and I think they like high light in order to keep their yellow color. Here's a photo of mine. I think I've had it about 3 months now:

qL53z0q.jpg

I hadn't heard about them being dyed! I got one from Glenn at Coral Gardens Aquaculture and it is very yellow. I do have it in high light though and I think they like high light in order to keep their yellow color. Here's a photo of mine. I think I've had it about 3 months now:

qL53z0q.jpg

Nice. I'll check out coral gardens. What is the pink one you have below it?

Nice. I'll check out coral gardens. What is the pink one you have below it?

It's actually a yellow polyp sinularia that I got from Live Aquaria but I don't see any yellow polyps :lol:

I do like the pink color though.

Archived