Softies, Gorgs, LPS  

110 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer?

• Leathers only
    • Softies including leathers
    • Gorgonians
    • LPS

StinkyBunny

Tooth corals are VERY understated for what they are. They're tough as nails and don't need anything super special other than a little food every once in a while. They are NOT cheap though as I'm sure you found out.

• Replies 887
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ReefWeeds

Tooth corals are VERY understated for what they are. They're tough as nails and don't need anything super special other than a little food every once in a while. They are NOT cheap though as I'm sure you found out.

I lucked out and got a good price on a Facebook auction Glenn was having! But yeah, not cheap at all!

Here's a good shot of the entire thing - it's about 4"x3"

bNkf5QC.jpg

Oops! Wrong photo! That's the lobo!

Here's

nB7UUUt.jpg

EhZ1DnS.jpg

That's really pretty! Ok, here's the RIGHT photo!

Sc9B612.jpg

ReefWeeds

Love those toads! Stinky, I noticed a hole in my coral today. It's not near anything, no rocks nothing. Do I need to worry?

PL8T01c.jpg

wtf is a tooth coral? :huh:

:lol: Cynarina

ReefWeeds

Never heard them called anything other than cynarina or 'button' lol.

I always figured it was because the skeleton looks like teeth

StinkyBunny

wtf is a tooth coral? :huh:

Cynarina lacrymalis, tooth coral, modern coral or button coral depending on the list you're ordering off of.

Here it is off my Jakarta list:

Modern Coral- Cynarina Lacrymalis

Green Modern Coral- Cynarina Lacrymalis

Red Modern Coral -Cynarina Lacrymalis

StinkyBunny

What are those pink pillowy things? Gorgeous!!!

Those are red tooth corals, Cynarina lacrymalis.

I missed that one post Stella, those are mesentary fibers, something was encroaching on his territory.

ReefWeeds

Those are red tooth corals, Cynarina lacrymalis.

I missed that one post Stella, those are mesentary fibers, something was encroaching on his territory.

Might be the acans next to it. I have to move them. I have a mussel attached to the acans and the mussel then also attached to the cynarina so I think they are too close.

StinkyBunny

If you want to separate them, cut the byssal threads as far from the mussel as you can to make sure you save it. If you cut it too close you risk killing it.

ReefWeeds

If you want to separate them, cut the byssal threads as far from the mussel as you can to make sure you save it. If you cut it too close you risk killing it.

thanks for this tip! I will try this tomorrow am.

Look what I found upon inspecting my tank this morning. At first I thought it was yet another aiptasia and I thought "UGH!, another pest to deal with", then as I got close and turned the lights up a bit I realized it is different. Brown tube with brown and white tentacles. And I thought "YAY, Featherduster!" Must have been hiding and when I moved the rock it decided to show itself. BB, don't you dare tell me I'm wrong (please).

26597326180_a2f91bf5e8_n.jpgIMG_3253 by Penny, on Flickr

StinkyBunny

Look what I found upon inspecting my tank this morning. At first I thought it was yet another aiptasia and I thought "UGH!, another pest to deal with", then as I got close and turned the lights up a bit I realized it is different. Brown tube with brown and white tentacles. And I thought "YAY, Featherduster!" Must have been hiding and when I moved the rock it decided to show itself. BB, don't you dare tell me I'm wrong (please).

26597326180_a2f91bf5e8_n.jpgIMG_3253 by Penny, on Flickr

It's a feather duster, not a pest.

FlowerMama

Love those. I'm seeing those also in my 40. Started about a week ago that I saw them since my tank started 4/1.

Hammerstone

I love those too. I think my clown might play with them to death. She's being really good around my corals now. If she should try to mess with something while I'm feeding I get

Out the scary net and use it as a barrier lol.???

StinkyBunny

Red feather dusters hitchhike in from Fiji and Indo on occasion. I see them quite a bit on Pectinia corals.

ReefWeeds

Looking good. I paid 25 for my red cynaria. Think I paid too much :)

Lol totally and completely overpaid. What were you thinking?

reefernanoman

I lucked out and got a good price on a Facebook auction Glenn was having! But yeah, not cheap at all!

Here's a good shot of the entire thing - it's about 4"x3"

bNkf5QC.jpgOops! Wrong photo! That's the lobo!Here's

That's really pretty! Ok, here's the RIGHT photo!

Sc9B612.jpg

Softie paradise. Nice!

Archived