Cultivated Reef

Stella's Sixty-Six

ReefWeeds

They put off lots of toxins and they grow REALLY fast too. Just sayin, real estate could become an issue pretty quick. I don't want you relapsing back into MTS... you haven't even finished rehabbing after the upgrade!

They do give off toxins but if you run activated carbon you will be fine. I love cabbage leathers too.

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They do give off toxins but if you run activated carbon you will be fine. I love cabbage leathers too.

Yeah, I'm planning on running carbon when needed in a reactor. I also have some finger leathers and such which I believe give off the same types of toxins.

Chili coral is happy. Not in final placement (well, a lot still isn't :lol: )

pBInO4M.jpg

And a gorgonian!

vzLP6Eo.jpg

I've always wanted a chili coral , are they pretty hardy ?

first one I've had and I've kept it alive for two days!

You know, I hear mixed things on that. It has bigger polyps and needs regular filer feeding food to be happy. I have the gorgs and such so I do generally feed some sort of filter feeder food daily. Figured I'd give it a shot!

Any food in the tank should work for filter feeders.

I know my normal fish food breaks up into so many pieces and the acans, sun coral and the scolys enjoy it. I spot feed also but sometimes just get lazy.

first one I've had and I've kept it alive for two days!

You know, I hear mixed things on that. It has bigger polyps and needs regular filer feeding food to be happy. I have the gorgs and such so I do generally feed some sort of filter feeder food daily. Figured I'd give it a shot!

I think you need to mount chili's upside down in a shaded area for them to grow properly. I could be wrong, I've never had them but there is a guy at a LFS who like information dumps on you and I was looking at a red one with white polyps once and got a schooling for about 10 min.

no.

Aren't certain kinds harder than others though? This one is nepthyigorgia which I was reading as long as it is under an overhang (not in bright light), out of direct flow, it is pretty easy as long as it gets food. I could be wrong though :)

I think you need to mount chili's upside down in a shaded area for them to grow properly. I could be wrong, I've never had them but there is a guy at a LFS who like information dumps on you and I was looking at a red one with white polyps once and got a schooling for about 10 min.

I like the ones with the white polyps. that's interesting about the upside down! I'll have to do some more research, but that would actually look really cool.

Aren't certain kinds harder than others though? This one is nepthyigorgia which I was reading as long as it is under an overhang (not in bright light), out of direct flow, it is pretty easy as long as it gets food. I could be wrong though :)

I like the ones with the white polyps. that's interesting about the upside down! I'll have to do some more research, but that would actually look really cool.

Yeah, it has something to do with the growth structure...apparently they're typically found upside down in caves...per the guy. He's usually right about stuff though.

Yeah, it has something to do with the growth structure...apparently they're typically found upside down in caves...per the guy. He's usually right about stuff though.

Well, it deflates during the day, so I can see where hanging upside down would be good for it. And it would look better. It kind of reminds me of one of those blowup christmas lawn decorations that look all puffy and lit up at night then just flat and pathetic on the ground during the day :lol:

I had chilie's and carnations years ago. Both were a PITA. They really liked lower temps, low light and constant feeding. Lost mine when I went on vacation for a couple weeks.

I had chilie's and carnations years ago. Both were a PITA. They really liked lower temps, low light and constant feeding. Lost mine when I went on vacation for a couple weeks.

That's good info. I love the carnation trees. But after reading about them I thought no way. I'd kill it. I'll probably kill the chili too :lol:

That's good info. I love the carnation trees. But after reading about them I thought no way. I'd kill it. I'll probably kill the chili too :lol:

Or not. I had mine in the 90's. Had no idea what I was doing. Keep it fed you should be fine. That is interesting about them doing well upside down.

Or not. I had mine in the 90's. Had no idea what I was doing. Keep it fed you should be fine. That is interesting about them doing well upside down.

When you say cooler temps, like how cool? How long have you been in the hobby?

When you say cooler temps, like how cool? How long have you been in the hobby?

Like i said I had no idea what I was doing. the tank was at 68* and 72* with a chiller. I had some small sharks and sting rays in a 200 back in 1993. Added some live rock, sun corals, carnation corals for color. Yeah it was a disaster. Unlike Harold with the interweb and forums i depended on the LFS and books. My stepdad had saltwater tanks in the mid 80's and we usually had a fish tank in the house growing up. I moved out when I was 17 and bought my first saltwater tank. Bought the 200 with my tax refund when I turned 18

IMG_0111_zpsvarlsksw.jpg

Like i said I had no idea what I was doing. the tank was at 68* and 72* with a chiller. I had some small sharks and sting rays in a 200 back in 1993. Added some live rock, sun corals, carnation corals for color. Yeah it was a disaster. Unlike Harold with the interweb and forums i depended on the LFS and books. My stepdad had saltwater tanks in the mid 80's and we usually had a fish tank in the house growing up. I moved out when I was 17 and bought my first saltwater tank. Bought the 200 with my tax refund when I turned 18

IMG_0111_zpsvarlsksw.jpg

HA! That is awesome! Sharks and stingrays!!!!! holy moly!

Yeah, I'm planning on running carbon when needed in a reactor. I also have some finger leathers and such which I believe give off the same types of toxins.

Chili coral is happy. Not in final placement (well, a lot still isn't :lol: )

pBInO4M.jpg

And a gorgonian!

vzLP6Eo.jpg

Nice gorg!

I'm in the mood to buy something, and now I want a red chili with white polyps. Thanks a lot bish

:lol: dooooo itttt! I think those are so freaking cool looking!

:lol: dooooo itttt! I think those are so freaking cool looking!

I'm going to my family's house for dinner and TWD tomorrow. The store that had them is over there, I'll stop in.

I'm going to my family's house for dinner and TWD tomorrow. The store that had them is over there, I'll stop it.

NICE!!!! Then photos :)

What store do you go to?

Discount Tropical Fish. They're just ok but I've gone there for a long time and i like to owners.

Are you in LA Jack?

Archived