Innovative Marine Aquariums

Stella's Sixty-Six

ReefWeeds

Ok, a few photos for this Saturday. Tomorrow is tank cleaning day, so I'll take a few more. And maybe a couple videos. Ok, I'll just focus on the photos. Photo and video might make my head explode.

Blasto. I just had LEDs on so the colors seem a little off to me, but they're photos :lol:

VWCzwnN.jpg

Yellow fiji. Mine gets puffy, but it cups up - not sure why. I notice some sprawl out. Mine is in high light - about 4" under the water surface and in high flow. Maybe one of those two things causes it to cup more than flatten out. Anyway, I like it.

qL53z0q.jpg

I think it's about to drop a baby from this spot - seems to be trying to separate out the area that is darker flesh:

0PKWW0H.jpg

These started out as one polyp and all of a sudden have been growing well. Three on this side and on the plug, about 7 total.

V5qVbOZ.jpg

The zoa rock:

fps4eWR.jpg

l64A65R.jpg

Not a great shot, but I finally see two babies!

YwL4Ubp.jpg

The yellow polyp gorg starting to open. I have two pieces, one on the bottom of the tank and this one. This one is growing well! I was surprised. I got it at about 3" tall and it's about 4 now.

q9OwxCm.jpg

A few more photos.

All three chromis and one of the cleaner shrimp. The other one hatched its eggs yesterday and molted this morning so it's been in hiding:

i3hVxPM.jpg

Various stuff:

nLV9UDp.jpg

Fox and sponge:

PSkP6jn.jpg

Knobby sea rod:

N8GEdVj.jpg

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Those pics are great! So what are you going to do with the yellow fiji that drops???? How much you want for it? I'll be first in line since I don't have one.

That blasto starting it off is glorious though!

Those pics are great! So what are you going to do with the yellow fiji that drops???? How much you want for it? I'll be first in line since I don't have one.

That blasto starting it off is glorious though!

It's yours! Just pay shipping! I'm thinking it will be good with 2 day.

That blasto is my favorite! it's finally got another head growing on the other side. The thing kept getting bigger and bigger and bigger but wouldn't grow another head and finally it is!

So y'all know I've been fighting a bubble algae invasion. I clean it off (what I can see) and it just grows back. Well, a couple weeks ago, I put Jeff's pencil urchin in the tank since we broke down the monster tank. Well, Yum, the pencil urchin, eats the crap out of the bubble algae! The worst of it was on my tonga branches. They were literally covered on one side. Well, here's a photo of Yum:

C75qhw5.jpg

Here's a photo of one of the branches he hasn't gotten to yet. You can see the giant mats of bubbles:

PLH7pln.jpg

This branch was covered probably even heavier than the photo above. But look at it now! Took Yum a week, but he cleaned the branch other than a couple spots. Granted, he also clears the coralline, but I don't have any problems with that :)

3B1FJtf.jpg

You can see some of the white patches where he also cleared some coralline. Which I'm sure will grow back quickly.

Pencil Urchins are not reef safe - I think they may eat some corals. I've been keeping an eye on him. But if he wants to sample a couple of polyps, I'll take that tradeoff for clearing bubble algae like nobody's business.

Great, I can do that. We'll just let it heal up!! Awesome.

Well, it hasn't popped off just yet. They don't frag well by actually cutting the leathers, but I do think they do fine once they pop off themselves!

Today, I spent most of the late morning and afternoon out working in the gardens. They needed to be cleaned out and edged. I'm SORE! Not done yet, but getting there.

Edging in progress:

TeCU1kQ.jpg

One garden done! I started cleaning out the one on the left as well. Did the boxwood gardens and some of the back. I'm sore!

xGyxBTf.jpg

My favorite dogwood tree over the patio is in bloom!

I0bSMPr.jpg

My rabbitfish I got on Thursday has already chowed down on some of my bubble algae!

That's awesome!!! I was actually looking at rabbitfish this past week! What kind did you get?

jedimasterben

That's awesome!!! I was actually looking at rabbitfish this past week! What kind did you get?

The same as I lost in the transition from the 80, a 'scribbled' rabbitfish, Siganus doliatus :)

I wish I could find a tiny rabbit for my cube. I hate the thought of trying to catch it later when it's too big for the tank but I loved my last one in there.

Ok, a few photos for this Saturday. Tomorrow is tank cleaning day, so I'll take a few more. And maybe a couple videos. Ok, I'll just focus on the photos. Photo and video might make my head explode.

Blasto. I just had LEDs on so the colors seem a little off to me, but they're photos :lol:

VWCzwnN.jpg

Yellow fiji. Mine gets puffy, but it cups up - not sure why. I notice some sprawl out. Mine is in high light - about 4" under the water surface and in high flow. Maybe one of those two things causes it to cup more than flatten out. Anyway, I like it.

qL53z0q.jpg

I think it's about to drop a baby from this spot - seems to be trying to separate out the area that is darker flesh:

0PKWW0H.jpg

These started out as one polyp and all of a sudden have been growing well. Three on this side and on the plug, about 7 total.

V5qVbOZ.jpg

The zoa rock:

fps4eWR.jpg

l64A65R.jpg

Not a great shot, but I finally see two babies!

YwL4Ubp.jpg

The yellow polyp gorg starting to open. I have two pieces, one on the bottom of the tank and this one. This one is growing well! I was surprised. I got it at about 3" tall and it's about 4 now.

q9OwxCm.jpg

A few more photos.

All three chromis and one of the cleaner shrimp. The other one hatched its eggs yesterday and molted this morning so it's been in hiding:

i3hVxPM.jpg

Various stuff:

nLV9UDp.jpg

Fox and sponge:

PSkP6jn.jpg

Knobby sea rod:

N8GEdVj.jpg

These coral are gourgeous! I love the yellow figi and also that yellow polyp gorg.

Your gardens are looking nice. I understand how sore edging can make you. I am only now recovering from my own edging. We shall reap our rewards in due time!

teenyreef

You've really outdone yourself with those pictures, Stella! Nice work with the flowerbeds too :)

Awesome pictures, that Fox coral is awesome, I'm happy to see more people growing them but now I need one.

ReefWeeds

These coral are gourgeous! I love the yellow figi and also that yellow polyp gorg.

Your gardens are looking nice. I understand how sore edging can make you. I am only now recovering from my own edging. We shall reap our rewards in due time!

Thanks Dawn!!!

Yeah, I wanted to get as much done as possible. Probably overdid it a bit :) But I want to plant the vegetables and annuals next weekend if possible.

You've really outdone yourself with those pictures, Stella! Nice work with the flowerbeds too :)

Thanks teeny!!!

Awesome pictures, that Fox coral is awesome, I'm happy to see more people growing them but now I need one.

Thanks Mark! I am loving the fox coral. It gets so massive during the day. Closed up, it's probably 4" wide on the skeleton. It's got to be double that when puffed out.

FlowerMama

So y'all know I've been fighting a bubble algae invasion. I clean it off (what I can see) and it just grows back. Well, a couple weeks ago, I put Jeff's pencil urchin in the tank since we broke down the monster tank. Well, Yum, the pencil urchin, eats the crap out of the bubble algae! The worst of it was on my tonga branches. They were literally covered on one side. Well, here's a photo of Yum:

C75qhw5.jpg

Here's a photo of one of the branches he hasn't gotten to yet. You can see the giant mats of bubbles:

PLH7pln.jpg

This branch was covered probably even heavier than the photo above. But look at it now! Took Yum a week, but he cleaned the branch other than a couple spots. Granted, he also clears the coralline, but I don't have any problems with that :)

3B1FJtf.jpg

You can see some of the white patches where he also cleared some coralline. Which I'm sure will grow back quickly.

Pencil Urchins are not reef safe - I think they may eat some corals. I've been keeping an eye on him. But if he wants to sample a couple of polyps, I'll take that tradeoff for clearing bubble algae like nobody's business.

Well, it hasn't popped off just yet. They don't frag well by actually cutting the leathers, but I do think they do fine once they pop off themselves!

No problem, I can wait. No hurry. And yeah, I had pencil urchins from my first rock at KPAquatics and gave all mine to my friend. All huge ones now. I wonder if the pin cushions eat any.

ReefWeeds

No problem, I can wait. No hurry. And yeah, I had pencil urchins from my first rock at KPAquatics and gave all mine to my friend. All huge ones now. I wonder if the pin cushions eat any.

I think most urchins will eat whatever macro algae - and micro algae for that matter - that's in your tank. I know this pencil urchin would eat chaeto - I would prune it and then put it in the monster tank and he would go to town on it. But he seems to like the bubble algae even more :lol:

FlowerMama

That's awesome. That's better than anything so far. I didn't have bubble algae when they were only an inch big so I didn't know they ate it. I've done pretty good. My 34 only had like 5 tiny bubbles.

ReefWeeds

That's awesome. That's better than anything so far. I didn't have bubble algae when they were only an inch big so I didn't know they ate it. I've done pretty good. My 34 only had like 5 tiny bubbles.

Yeah, I never had any in my biocube - or my 12. but after I got some frags that had it, the stuff went rampant. I hate the stuff. Well, it's actually kind of pretty on the tonga branches.

Those lines in the bed look crooked :P You need to work at a it a little more.,,,,,,,

Nice pics though. And I see how you are :unsure:

ReefWeeds

Hey Stella how are the pinwheels?

They're doing good! I have them on one of the mag rocks so I am hoping they take over :)

great photos! saw some yellow leather at the LFS today and thought of you. almost bought one but no place to put it =(.

Thanks Ninja! There's always room for a yellow leather!

Those lines in the bed look crooked :P You need to work at a it a little more.,,,,,,,

Nice pics though. And I see how you are :unsure:

Lol - I'm an artist, what do you expect? I don't do straight lines :P

What do you mean you see how I am?? :lol:

jedimasterben

great photos! saw some yellow leather at the LFS today and thought of you. almost bought one but no place to put it =(.

Just remember they're one of the most chemically aggressive corals you can get, so your SPS may not appreciate it.
ReefWeeds

Just remember they're one of the most chemically aggressive corals you can get, so your SPS may not appreciate it.

you forgot something! Bzzzzzzzz

But it's good advice, buzzzzz or not! :P

My rabbitfish I got on Thursday has already chowed down on some of my bubble algae!

I saw a spotted rabbitfish I think on live aquaria. Then I saw it got to over a foot long I think and was so disappointed!

ReefWeeds

Well I spoke too soon about the redspots :( one is missing. There were 5 last night and 4 when lights came up this morning. I've checked the tank where I can see, checked overflow (realized I need to clean it out, it's gross). Checked the sump, but I need to take out the crapper trapper to see if it somehow went down the drain. Of course work is insanely busy so trying to do this in between meetings.

Archived